USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like everyone on here scores in the 60% at least on UW, is there anything to worry about if my average is around 53%? I already finish 60% of the questions from UW with 10 days until the test. Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

obgyn06 said:
I think I got around a 61% (I can't access my account anymore) but it definately wasn't as high as 65%. I felt like I scored alot in the 55-59% and then occassionally in the 60-65% range.

I took the nbme mini-exam that is $45 online and got a 231.

I ended up with a 250. :clap: I got a 208 on step 1.

When you did your Q...did you do them in tutor mode?

Just took step II. I thought I would share how I prepared, etc, since everyone else has. First, I thought it was much easier (knock on wood) than step I (score 232). Second, I think if you do all of the questions in USMLEworld and Secrets step 2 you will be golden, but I also think if you pay attention for your core rotations during 3rd year you will have a solid understanding of the "what next" questions.

Lots of seizures, more than I was expecting. Also, lots of diarrhea and nausea. Glad it is over with.

I ended up with 67% overall on USMLEworld. Around 75% on the Kaplan Qbook and went through B&W, Secrets once each, and read Kaplan Internal Medicine once.

I will let everyone know how I do in around 4 weeks. Now I have to start studying OMT for the COMLEX II next week...Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

PM if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be wrong here, but I get the feeling that when they say "very high yield for the USMLE" on USMLE World, what they really mean is "we plagarized this question from the Self-Assessments."

I've learned a lot from the questions, but they really need someone whose first language is English to edit those things!

just out of curiosity, is it "better" to do UW in tutor mode where you can look over the questions and answers carefully, or do them in 46q block where you can get a real sense of timing and efficiency..

kpax18 said:
just out of curiosity, is it "better" to do UW in tutor mode where you can look over the questions and answers carefully, or do them in 46q block where you can get a real sense of timing and efficiency..

Kev, I've been alternating them - tutor and timed, in order not to lose the pace of timed questions, but also in order to retain the question stem before reviewing the answer/explanations. I find it harder and that it takes longer to go over the questions after timed mode because I have to reread the question and answer choices because I've already forgotten them.

So no clear-cut answer here, but I find doing a little of both keeps me sane. Though for better learning, I'd stick with tutor.

kpax18 said:

I did all tutor except for the last 300 or so, which I did timed. It was reassuring to know I could keep my average and not run out of time.

I have been following this thread for a while now so I thought I would contribute. I just took the beast yesterday. Of course, I have mixed feelings about the exam. There were a few questions that a profoundly ******ed person could have figured out, assuming they had actually attended medical school. Most were pretty straight forward, some challenging, and some that made me ask myself "What the hell are they looking for...I have no clue." A few I came across even seemed to have some factual errors that I could not reconcile. I don't mean difficult, I just mean wrong information...no way to get them right that I am aware of. It really surprised me. But, this accounted for only a few.

I did about half of USMLEworld, and read through First Aid and Boards and Wards. They were all helpful, especially USMLEworld, which was difficult in comparison to Step 2 (I kept thinking during the exam, "They cannot be this easy!"). Of course, there were enough difficult questions that I had to guess at that I am quite unsure of my performance. I am pretty certain I didn't blow it out of the water. So, my stats thus far are:

Step 1: 225/91

Step 2 Prep
NBME 1: 520/222 (5 weeks out)
USMLEworld: 68%, 50% of questions. Last 7 blocks were 64-80%
Step 2: Will let you know soon if I am not terribly ashamed of it.

Thanks for everyone that shared their experiences...

a_ditchdoc said:
I have been following this thread for a while now so I thought I would contribute. I just took the beast yesterday. Of course, I have mixed feelings about the exam. There were a few questions that a profoundly ******ed person could have figured out, assuming they had actually attended medical school. Most were pretty straight forward, some challenging, and some that made me ask myself "What the hell are they looking for...I have no clue." A few I came across even seemed to have some factual errors that I could not reconcile. I don't mean difficult, I just mean wrong information...no way to get them right that I am aware of. It really surprised me. But, this accounted for only a few.

I did about half of USMLEworld, and read through First Aid and Boards and Wards. They were all helpful, especially USMLEworld, which was difficult in comparison to Step 2 (I kept thinking during the exam, "They cannot be this easy!"). Of course, there were enough difficult questions that I had to guess at that I am quite unsure of my performance. I am pretty certain I didn't blow it out of the water. So, my stats thus far are:

Step 1: 225/91

Step 2 Prep
NBME 1: 520/222 (5 weeks out)
USMLEworld: 68%, 50% of questions. Last 7 blocks were 64-80%
Step 2: Will let you know soon if I am not terribly ashamed of it.

Thanks for everyone that shared their experiences...
How did you think it compared to the practice tests from NBME? I assume the same but I don't know how long ago these practice questions were retired. I found a lot of the NBME practice test questions tricky, kind of like you said about not knowing what the heck they were talking about.

trkd said:
How did you think it compared to the practice tests from NBME? I assume the same but I don't know how long ago these practice questions were retired. I found a lot of the NBME practice test questions tricky, kind of like you said about not knowing what the heck they were talking about.

I think it compared very favorably. For most of the questions I knew what they were asking, even if I could not remember the answer. For some you had to know several things in order to answer the question (ie, they assumed that you knew something and would ask the question in regard to the treatment of the presumed diagnosis). Compared to USMLEWorld, it seemed pretty easy at times. Of course, I am not saying I did not have to guess at a lot of things...maybe it seemed less picky. The answer choices were, for the most part, very clear cut.

Best of luck to everyone yet to take it...

When we take 46Q blocks it gives your avg and avg of others. Did you guys score above the average or below. Do you think that the average is inflated a bit (due to people getting it wrong and then changing it to correct)? It seems like a always score a bit below the average. Should I worry?

Mixmaster said:
When we take 46Q blocks it gives your avg and avg of others. Did you guys score above the average or below. Do you think that the average is inflated a bit (due to people getting it wrong and then changing it to correct)? It seems like a always score a bit below the average. Should I worry?

It depends how far along you are in your studying and what you hope to achieve on the exam. My average started in the lower 60's and ended with 67% overall. I was hitting 65-80% on the last seven blocks. I think I scored under the average only once during any of the blocks (Not trying to make you feel bad, just honest). I am hoping to come close to 230, a 235 or higher would be a godsend. I would suggest taking the NBME exam to see where you stand. It will give you reassurance or let you know that you have more work ahead of you.

If it is any consolation, again, the real exam seemd easier than USMLE world I wish you the best of luck...let us know how it goes.

a_ditchdoc said:
If it is any consolation, again, the real exam seemd easier than USMLE world I wish you the best of luck...let us know how it goes.
Out of curiousity, did anyone find the NBMEs easier than USMLEworld? I thought it was harder... But I did better on them. So what do I know!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
trkd said:
Out of curiousity, did anyone find the NBMEs easier than USMLEworld? I thought it was harder... But I did better on them. So what do I know!?!

i thought both nbme 1 and 2 were easier than UW. Averaged 65% through about 1000 q's on UW. Scored 241 and 248 NBME 1 and 2. Incidentally though, I was wondering if anyone's performance on UW dropped off after a while. I took step 2 last Friday, and had scored 70-74% on 6 striaght tests about a week before the exam. Then scored 248 predicted NBME on Monday before the exam. Was feeling pretty good about things. Then 2 days before, I couldn't break 70% on UW. Had low 60's mostly and even a 52% one day before. I had never previously been below 60. Anyone else experience a drop off like this? Please tell me that everything is going to be OK. :scared:

rads0518 said:
i thought both nbme 1 and 2 were easier than UW. Averaged 65% through about 1000 q's on UW. Scored 241 and 248 NBME 1 and 2. Incidentally though, I was wondering if anyone's performance on UW dropped off after a while. I took step 2 last Friday, and had scored 70-74% on 6 striaght tests about a week before the exam. Then scored 248 predicted NBME on Monday before the exam. Was feeling pretty good about things. Then 2 days before, I couldn't break 70% on UW. Had low 60's mostly and even a 52% one day before. I had never previously been below 60. Anyone else experience a drop off like this? Please tell me that everything is going to be OK. :scared:

You remind me of a poster the other day who was worried about not being able to do better than he did on step I (99).

If you are hoping for >260, then, no, everything is probably NOT going to be okay. (Although some people here claim a 20 point jump from NBME to real score).

If you have a predicted 240-250 on NBME, and you didn't freak on the real thing, I think you are well aware that you are in great shape. People are talking about their overall UW averages, which, believe it or not, include 50% now and then for just about everyone. Relax.

Well I took the fun exam yesterday and am just glad its over!! I thought it was very comparable to Usmleworld questions both in length and question difficulty. I averaged 65% after completing all Usmleworld questions. I felt there were more straight forward/easier questions than those on the Step 1 exam. There were about 10 questions per block that I wasn't for sure about, but could usually narrow down to 2 answers.

Was endurance a problem for anyone else? Man, by the 8th block I really stuggled to focus and to not be complacent. It didn't help that I only got 2-3 hours of sleep the night before!

I'm so frustrated right now because I know I missed some easy ones!! How many do you think you can miss and still be 230+? (just take a guess)

for step I i can't imagine getting more than 70% correct and i got over a 230.

did you find any book - crush, bw - particularly helpful, azcom?

Step 1 - 230
USMLEWorld - 67% overall
NBME I - predicted 243
Step 2 - 242

I went thru secrets once, FA 3-4 times, and did all the USMLEWorld ?'s once. Studied for about 5 weeks a few hours a day during psych rotation.

congrat MR1 ! great score.

just wondering of what you thought of FA for this test. a lot of ppl put it down for step 2. did you think it was the best book out there for it?

MR1 said:
Step 1 - 230
USMLEWorld - 67% overall
NBME I - predicted 243
Step 2 - 242

I went thru secrets once, FA 3-4 times, and did all the USMLEWorld ?'s once. Studied for about 5 weeks a few hours a day during psych rotation.

Overall I think it covers everything you need to know, the problem is the format. It is really hard to study FA, I fell asleep many times reading through it. Many times I'd get a ? on USMLEWorld and have no idea about it, but I would always be able to find the answer in FA. I liked secrets in combo with FA because when I went thru secrets I would make my own notes in FA in the corresponding section. I also did the same with the USMLEWorld ?'s during tutor mode. Making my own notes and going over them later really helped me I thought. Everyone has their preference the key is finding what works best for you, that was my problem with step 1. I think I could have done better (don't get me wrong I was happy with my score) if I hadn't tried to use too many books and just find one or two that worked for me. Good luck.

MR1 said:
Step 1 - 230
USMLEWorld - 67% overall
NBME I - predicted 243
Step 2 - 242

congrats MR1

quick question for ya....did you find that the exam was similar to NBME form 1? any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

ucb

Hello, been following this post for about 6 months without contributing or asking questions. Thought I would add my experience with USMLEworld, Step 2, and studying in general. So here goes....I studied throughout my rotations, reading a review book during each rotation (besides medicine). I think this along with a lot of prayer was key to getting my score. Did blueprints for OB/GYN and Peds, Kaplan for Psych, Surgery Recall, and briefly read Harrison's each night after IM (ex: if saw patient with SLE, I would read up on it). During each rotation, I always carried B & W, reading it every opportunity I could get (this was my favorite book for board review). Starting about 3 months before my set Step 2 CK date and during a relatively light Peds rotation, I started going back and reviewing as well as starting to do USMLEworld questions. I would do one block of questions every 2-3 days taking my time to review the explanations and writing notes in Crush which I intended to review the last week. I took NBME I 3 and 1/2 weeks before my test and NBME II 1 week before. During the last week, I intended on going through my notes in Crush, but instead read through B & W 2 times, while ensuring I relaxed a little. The day of my test seemed anticlimactic. I was the only person at my center taking a Step. Most of the questions were comparable to USMLEworld and/or NBME practice tests. Can only remember 3 or 4 were I had no idea what on earth they were talking about. I took the whole hour on 3/8 blocks and finished the other 5 with at least 10 minutes left over. Make sure you can read quickly and pick up pertinent info on the first run through or you may run short of time. All in all I thought the test was much better than Step I. If you try and make it fun while you are studying and when you are taking it, it will go more quickly and you'll learn better...at least that's my theory. Also, enjoy time not studying. I always made sure I spent a few hours each day and every Sunday spending time with my wife and doing things other than medicine. So that's it and here's what I got:

Step I:99
USMLEworld: 69.8% (range 56-90)
NBME I:predicted 99
NBME II:predicted 99
Step II: Sat for it: June 19
Scores released: July 19
Scores received: July 24
Score: 99

I am very thankful for my scores and for all the people that contribute to this forum to help all the quiet bystanders like me. Thanks again and God Bless...

rads0518 said:

It's happening to me too. I am within 100 or so questions of being finished with UW. I took two back-to-back blocks of 46 this afternoon. I got a 74 on the first one (good enough for me!) and then a 54 on the next one! The average for the second one was a few points higher than the first. The other day I got a 76 then a 52.

Hopefully I'll be more in a 70's mode when I take the real thing.

ucbdancn00 said:
congrats MR1

quick question for ya....did you find that the exam was similar to NBME form 1? any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

ucb

As far as predicting my score I thought it did very well, I had similar results with step 1 being predicted 5 points higher than my actual score. So yes I thought it was similar and gave me a good idea what to expect on the real thing. Even if I had the money I don't think I would have done the other two because I don't think it helped me score any better.

I take the test on Saturday and I'm calling it quits after today with USMLEWorld as I need tomorrow to memorize the 23 pages of factoids I got from doing the questions. So after completing 68% of the Q-Bank I have an average of 61.3%, I hope this will be good enough to beat my Step 1 score of 219.

Step 1 187 (had a bad day, so thankful that I just passed)
USMLEWorld 64% with about 50%completed-- started off in test blocks of 46, then just rushing through in tutor mode at the end
NBME predicted 221

Studied for about 2 weeks, used Crush Step 2 and USMLEWorld only.
Step 2 236!!!!

Just took Step II yesterday and must say that I feel like I got *&$%ing WORKED. Is it bad that I felt a bit more confident coming out of step I?! (got a 243 on that). How often do people score below their step I score on step II?

Studied all of WORLD (67% - started high 50s, ended low 70's). Did Secrets and through Fisrt Aid once. NBME about a week before predicted 245, but I felt like Step II was harder than both NBME and WORLD - anyone else?

The biggest thing on this test for me was TIME. The test I had had long passages followed by answer selections of antibiotics or other treatment modalities ranging from A-to-G and more than a handful from A-to-Z!! Finished each block with usually 2 minutes or less left, which left me enough time for me to laugh at myself and how I had marked about 15 to go back and look at. In WORLD, I took all questions in 46 question blocks timed and would finish with 5-ish minutes to go back and review the marked ones. There's a huge difference between 2 and 5 minutes, unfortunately.

I'll follow this post up when I get my score and hopefully they curve it to passing. Any other people feel like they came out of Step II and felt worse about it than when they came out of Step I??

Thanks to all the posters who came before me.

okay, just to throw my 2 cents into the ring, since this site was incredibly helpful in my study prep.

i took step 2 CK recently. i'm coming from a year off after my third year of med school, and since i'm applying for residency in a competitive field, i knew i had to do well. i studied for 5 weeks hard core and think the following were the most helpful resources in order of importance:

1. USMLEWorld
2. USMLEWorld
3. USMLEWorld
4. NBME Practice Tests (very indicative of the real thing; I identified specific diseases I didn't know on the NBME exams, went back and studied them, and these diseases showed up multiple times on Step 2)
4. Boards and Wards
5. Secrets

I also used for specific subject matter:

-Medicine - Pocket Medicine, as well as the Washington Manual (both pocketbooks present things concisely and based on EBM) . . . great for "next step" and best treatment types of questions . . . I didn't read from these books directly but whenever questions came up on UW that I didn't have a good concept of, I would go back and read what the entry was in one of these pocketbooks

I also recommend FA Step 1 Pathology/Physiology because you need to have a good basis of the basic science for Step 2 (15% of Step 2 is basic science)

-Surgery-Kaplan Lecture notes; excellent resource with as much coverage of trauma you'll need to know for Step 2

-Neuro-couldn't find good resources; reviewed a few stuff from FA Step 1 (yes, Step 1); reviewed a couple of sections in HY Neuroanatomy

-OB/GYN-High Yield OB (definitely distills OB/GYN into a very concise format) but may not be enough for a few of the picky questions on Step 2 (if there's any concern, and you have time, look at Blueprints)

-Psych-again, no good resources to recommend but most of the stuff on Step 2 was fairly straightforward

-Peds-skimmed Blueprints Peds

I cannot stress how helpful UW was. I began doing 46q untimed random mode and would get 30s-40s%. no joke! don't worry if this happens to you. just keep at it. try to learn the concepts, and not necessarily memorize the minutiae (except for preventive medicine; the real Step 2 expects you to know minutiae). the questions on UW will seem easier and somewhat repetitive over time. By the end, most of the time I was hitting mid 70s to low 80s, with the occasional high 50s/low 60s.

I decided to do my studying in blocks by subject (i.e, Cards, Rheum, Pulm, OB, GYN, Neuro, Psych, etc) and after doing my reading from review texts for each block (using the resources listed above), I would do 1-2 blocks of UW questions that corresponded to that subject (i.e, Cards) for reinforcement. Then I'd do a block of random questions to keep up with subjects I'd already studied and to anticipate the types of questions I'd need to study for the subjects left.

I thought UW, B/W, and Secrets were great but not enough to rock Step 2 without some extra studying (again, I was coming from a year off and had forgetten everything). The true helpfulness of these resources is that if there was some disease I wasn't sure about or felt like I didn't know well, I knew I could look it up in other resources.

NBME 2 taken 1.5 weeks before the real thing = 259
NBME 3 taken 2 days before the real thing = 261
Step 2 = 260/99

(Step 1 = 254)

Just to give reassurance to anyone who is taking Step 2 after a long break from clinical rotations, don't fret! I don't think one has to take Step 2 while "everything is fresh." Just give yourself a little extra time, and if you paid attention during 3rd year, most of the stuff will come back.

Took the heinous thing a month ago and got results back (262- respect to previous posters, I used their studying advice). Step I of 258.

Overall, I found the test quite balanced. I wouldn't disagree with people who claim an Ob/Gyn emphasis, but my other friends didn't see it. Some got hammered with neuro instead. My comment would be you need a broad base of knowledge... yeah, can't really narrow it down :(

Yep, USMLEworld is much like the real deal. If you had only $100, I would get that. Before a review book even.

It was a strange, discouraging exam when I took it. I'd see a few gimmies, but I got a lot more questions where I felt instinct was more important than pure knowledge and experience. It's like working at the world's worst hospital (can't we order labs AND the EKG AND the CXR at the same time?!). Toward the middle of the exam, I felt hungover and was reflexing-clickling the mouse half the time. The worst part was when they would ask a similar question on the same topic a few sections later. I was stuck thinking, well, I would like to do the same thing I told you guys earlier, but you're probably trying to trick me, what's different about this scenario, etc. This is followed by thinking you missed both questions at the end of the exam.

So I guess the moral is don't worry, just take the d*** thing. Answer the question with your instincts. Answer to make yourself feel good. Go home feeling like you answered the way you would in real life. Don't try to outthink the testors. Channel your Zen, Chi, Yoda, Jesus, Oprah, whom/whatever.

There were also zebras. I had two questions on neurofibromatosis, for example. A general surgery question dealing with thyroid cancer (not a zebra per se, but the question seemed more fit for a resident).

For studying, I adhered to the advice that memorizing Step 2 Secrets was the way to go. I had Family and Peds prior to Step 2, and so I also studied during those rotations (esp. Family). I started doing QBank (semi-OK) and QBook (better) as well. Subscribed to USMLEworld a month prior to test date and started to gorge on humble pie. After I finished Peds, I had about 10 dedicated days before test time. I felt I knew Step 2 Secrets well, but USMLEworld was really frustrating me. Managed to finish USMLEworld just before I took the test (scoring the low 70%s). Browsed First Aid Step 2 CK the day before and felt I should've done that instead of Secrets.

That said, I also prepped a lot for individual shelf exams during the year. Also did QBook with my shelf exams (very reasonable questions). Ergo, didn't do any subject specific studying. Part me of attributes my score to luck, I didn't deserve this as much as some people. I was much more dedicated in studying for Step I. My overall advice would be to know a broad base of basics cold. Who cares about the mechanism of phosphorylation of gene GFKYSLF anyway (or when is it so emergent that you can't look it up)?

I took it on Saturday and it wasn't really that bad, much better than Step 1. I can only say that USMLEWorld was MONEY for that thing, there were probably 4-5 questions per block that I only got right because of some obscure question on USMLEWorld. I had several questions that were basically repeats of the same theme and I'm glad I went with the same answer for both even though I was unsure.

I only wish I had been able to finish USMLEWorld as it really did cover the stuff that was on my exam.

I got my score back for step2 - 254/99!

Like a lot of other ppl have commented, I left the test feeling this vague sense of discomfort and uncertainty about a lot of the questions.

I got 68%, doing about 3/4th of the UW questions. I also did 3/4th of kaplan Qbank (first) and I felt it was pretty weak compared to UW.

I used Boards and Wards and Step2 secrets (which is essentially CrushStep2 in Q&A format) as reading material.

:sleep:

Anyone else think that the UW "% of people got this question right" is made up?

For instance I got a question asking what the first step in treating someone with Vfib was? and only 50ish% of people got it right. Then the next question will be some arbitrary genetics question and bang 75% get it right.

Maybe its just me...it usually is. :D

Cowboy DO said:
Anyone else think that the UW "% of people got this question right" is made up?

For instance I got a question asking what the first step in treating someone with Vfib was? and only 50ish% of people got it right. Then the next question will be some arbitrary genetics question and bang 75% get it right.

Maybe its just me...it usually is. :D

I haven't noticed that, but what I HAVE noticed is that sometimes only about 13% will get a question right. When there are 5 choices for the question, that gives you a 20% chance of GUESSING the correct answer. Shouldn't that be a clue to them that maybe it's not such a great question?

NKMU said:
I haven't noticed that, but what I HAVE noticed is that sometimes only about 13% will get a question right. When there are 5 choices for the question, that gives you a 20% chance of GUESSING the correct answer. Shouldn't that be a clue to them that maybe it's not such a great question?

Initially that's what I thought as well. If a question with 5 choices has less than a 20% correct answer rate that it meant that too few people had answered or it was a crummy question. However after further consideration and looking more closely at some of the questions that have those low low percentages I think that what it actually means is that the collective knowledge saw a buzzword that triggered a response, which wasn't the correct one.

Since UW doesn't give statistics on absolute number of people that answered the question, just percentages - it is impossible to determine whether these outliars are statistically significant or not (perhaps by chance only a few people have answered a particularly difficult question). Certainly there are some questions that are worse than others and for that reason more people got them wrong - however there is also a group of questions that may trigger an automatic response that overcauses us to skim the rest of the question and answer without fully considering all the possibilities. :oops:

As a wise medicine doc once said: "Not all that wheezes is Asthma. Not all that crackles is CHF." :D

USMLE World Avg: 73%

NBME tests: 248, 237, 255

Step 2: 254

Step 1: 201

USMLE World rocks. I completed all of the questions, then went on to try Kaplan, but gave up after 3 days because I felt they were too easy after USMLE World. Also only did Kaplan for Step 1, and you can see where that got me.

lmh14 said:
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

tomjoad, what books did you use to study from and how much time did you put in?

Just got my score back:
Step 1 - 256
NBME test 1 predicted 250 one month prior to step 2, didn't do the others.
Step 2 - 265
USMLE world started at about 65% averages and ended up with 75%s for a running average of 70% or so. I only did about half the questions before I got fed up and quit.

Spent one month studying after taking the practice test to get a base line. Used First Aid for step 2, USMLEworld and Kaplan Q book. I think the questions on USMLE world are NOT AT ALL similar to the real deal. The USMLEworld question bank is a good source for learning material, it will give you a good fund of knowledge if you lack it and it covers the right material but in a different way than is presented on the test. If you want questions that will be similar in format, length and wording go for Kaplan Q book (shout out to big frank for this tip, I never would have looked at this book otherwise...even though the guy ignored my IM asking for some specific advice). I also used first aid as a run through of the material, again (like step 1) I found it to be the most concise and reliable way to organize high yield information for rapid review as test day approached. I think your performance on the shelf exams and intensity during third year are the biggest predictors of your performance. If you were solid on the shelfs I would say you dont need USMLE world just use first Aid and Kaplan Q book.

edit: and ditto east coasters advice above. If you have time look at first Aid for OB/gyn (I f*cking hate blueprints) its poorly covered in both Usmle world as well as FA for step2. Also, review pharm and path from step 1, if you studied hard for step one this is like 4 hours of review for some easy extra points.

just a comment on USMLEW-

seriously - why does EVERY answer begin with 'this patient is having' - i mean, couldn't SOMEONE in the room have been like, 'yo - umm... ahmad - that's just not proper grams, dude.' cracks me up.

and i'm middle eastern, so, before everyone thinks i'm racist- it just reminds me a lot of hearing my extended family members discuss medicine at gatherings. 'this patient is having a slipped capital femoral epiphysis.'

dynx said:
Just got my score back:
Step 1 - 256
NBME test 1 predicted 250 one month prior to step 2, didn't do the others.
Step 2 - 265
USMLE world started at about 65% averages and ended up with 75%s for a running average of 70% or so. I only did about half the questions before I got fed up and quit.

Spent one month studying after taking the practice test to get a base line. Used First Aid for step 2, USMLEworld and Kaplan Q book. I think the questions on USMLE world are NOT AT ALL similar to the real deal. The USMLEworld question bank is a good source for learning material, it will give you a good fund of knowledge if you lack it and it covers the right material but in a different way than is presented on the test. If you want questions that will be similar in format, length and wording go for Kaplan Q book (shout out to big frank for this tip, I never would have looked at this book otherwise...even though the guy ignored my IM asking for some specific advice). I also used first aid as a run through of the material, again (like step 1) I found it to be the most concise and reliable way to organize high yield information for rapid review as test day approached. I think your performance on the shelf exams and intensity during third year are the biggest predictors of your performance. If you were solid on the shelfs I would say you dont need USMLE world just use first Aid and Kaplan Q book.

edit: and ditto east coasters advice above. If you have time look at first Aid for OB/gyn (I f*cking hate blueprints) its poorly covered in both Usmle world as well as FA for step2. Also, review pharm and path from step 1, if you studied hard for step one this is like 4 hours of review for some easy extra points.

Not bad....

I wonder why you wouldn't take Step 2 next February like the rest of us. :D

p53 said:
Not bad....

I wonder why you wouldn't take Step 2 next February like the rest of us. :D

I went back and forth several times on the decision to take it early. I wanted to study for the exam to make sure I knew the stuff (nothing like fear of screwing myself to motivate studying). And I wanted to be done with the damn thing and enjoy my fourth year. Overall, im glad its over and behind me. If my score had dropped, id be kicking myself right now.

sup peoples..

hope all is well and when i get my scores back i will update my post..

I studied for 4.5 weeks...I did Kaplan lecture notes and USMLEWorld for the first several weeks and then continued with First Aid/B&W and World for the rest of it.

I got through about 1200 of world with an average of some 62%...i started in the mid 50s and got up to the mid 60s low 70s by about 1 week out and then mid 70s in the week of the exam.

the exam wasn't bad, but it wasn't easy either. Things that made it tricky were having random distracting "symptoms" that had nothing to do with the patient's primary issue as well as gargantuan passages and a billion answer choices. some blocks i felt pressed for time, but i finished with about 5-10 minutes to spare.

There were definitely some weird ones on there where i was like "WTF"; and others where I just couldn't remember the detail although it was an easy question...

I hope this helps a bit.......and i hope i was able to break my step 1 score......we'll see what happens

thanks for the all the help/input and g'luck to all who are still waiting to take it...

ucb

studied 3.5 weeks
finished 50% of usmleworld questions
did untimed blocks of 46 questions each
read through all explanations of completed questions
final average was in mid-50s
also read first aid for usmle 2 cover to cover one time
step 1 score: 204
step 2 score: 216
hope that will suffice for a neuro residency

Hi Folks,
Took d bad boy on Monday and it was a challenging exam.
25% of qs I knew down cold. :)
65% of qs - Thought I knew answer, but distractors, exotic wording of answer choices, e.g. exophytic growth = condylamta accuminatum!!!! :smuggrin: made less than 100% certain.
10% of qs - Wht d hell! :scared:
Anywayz..Went through USMLEworld once, Avg = 60% (Range all over 40% :eek: on exam to 80% on another), anotated everything I missed in Kaplans books and went through my Kaplan books thrice - once during rotations, once b4 USMLEworld and once afterwards..
NBME 1 one week b4 exam = 229 predicted. Here's to hoping that I get at least a 235 on d real thing. Will update my post once get my score back on Sep 15..:S Now y do they always have to delay the score reporting when I take d damn thing! Anywayz hope this y'all. Peace

hi i took it today and thought it was fair. definitely some things i had no clue about. i still think there was 1 question that has to be thrown out (a pt was on a medication and then later in the vignette was said to be on no medications)..i swear i read that like 3 times.

anyway, i thought in terms of style of questions, qbook's medicine section was the closest. i did all of UW and thought it was a great resource to refresh my memory of the pathophys. i did 2 tests of NMS but didn't like it. also used B&W throughout the year, secrets and FA for step2 here and there.

some questions were certainly gimmies...but tons of questions had so many distractors.

let's see, i avg 68% on UW and NBME 1week before predicted 240. i'd be thrilled with anything 230+. i'll be waiting my 6 weeks :rolleyes:

Hello! Can I just ask what B&W is??? Thank you.

AssMan said:
Here's a little follow up from a previous post. I just got a call from school with my score: 235/95

That test was ROUGH but it all worked out in the end. I'd probably not waste time with Crush/Secrets if I did it again. It's just too watered down. Kinda mad at the time I put into it. I did B&W and I liked it. I'd probably throw in FA as well. Everytime I flipped through FA, I'd see something I missed on UW. SO, I'd do FA, B&W and UW if I had to do it again. As always, those mini-NBME exams are pretty accurate (mini's were 229/243 and real score was 235).

Good luck to all taking it. :thumbup: