USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

Doc Ivy said:
Hey all,

Did UW in tutor mode--- I used Kaplan notes and anotated FA while I read the UW answers

Inside tip: I never set foot in a library, too quiet.

I need to talk to myself to study, read out loud, gesticulate, pace the floor, whatever it takes to go for 12hours a day qd x4weeks. Can't do that stuff in public, and just sitting in a chair for 12hrs with FA is cruel and unusual punishment and would be like taking an Ambien.

Thanks Doc Ivy. Will do my best to attempt to sit at home for 12 hours... i mean pace and talk to myself...I hope I wont start hearing voices hahaha

Long Dong said:
Are you into asian guys? Could we do some dates where you can tutor me for step 2? Or maybe we could just cuddle and some of that smarts would rub up on me. I hope I'm assuming right that you are a girl, but even if you were a guy I'm open minded enough to do almost about anything to get that kind of a score. :D

I'm into Asian guys if you're into Black women

;)

Step I: 208/85
Step II: 230/93

55% on UW
NBME 1: 220
NBME 2: 205

5 weeks of (leisurely) study with lots of breaks and beer at night. :) Used FA and Secrets, too.

I don't know what did it, maybe the stars just lined up right, but I'm glad to have made an improvement.

Best of luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
sophiejane: nice improvement! glad to see you did so well despite the beer and the frequent posting. :)

my USMLE is in two days and i just had two glasses of Saison Dupont. we'll see if the beer study method works.

NKMU said:
sophiejane: nice improvement! glad to see you did so well despite the beer and the frequent posting. :)

my USMLE is in two days and i just had two glasses of Saison Dupont. we'll see if the beer study method works.

I was a bit of a posting maniac there for a while. I think it helps keep me sane to communicate with other people in the same boat as me...

As for beer (and wine, and the occasional mojito)...if nothing else, it'll relax you, which can only be a good thing. I am a firm believer in continuing to LIVE while in medical school.

Best of luck--knock 'em dead!

Finally got my scores today

Step 1 USMLE 227 (92)
Step 2 USMLE 227 (92)
Step 1 Comlex 652 (95%)
Step 2 Comlex STILL WAITING

UW Average for all questions 65%

Man, I should have done a lot better according to my UW average. I didn't feel to hot walking out of the exam, but I'm just glad I didn't do worse!!!! Dumb question but, is this going to hurt me by not improving from my step 1 score? Anesthesia is my first choice.

Usmleworld is by far the best resource for step 2! I read First Aid 4 times, Boards and Wards once and Crush twice. Some have talked bad about Crush, but I had a lot of questions straight from there. It is very high yield and concise!

Took Step 2 on July 24th. Studied for 2 wks. Used WORLD and did all 2000+ questions only once. UW test avg = 62.5%. Read the explanations even though kind of slacked off towards the end. Used Kaplan to study for Step 1, walked out of the test feeling like I was given the wrong test or something...felt HORRIBLE! Went into Step 2 with way more confidence. Felt that UW questions were much harder than the actual exam. Didn't feel horrible walking out, but still had no clue how I had done.

Step 1: 208/85
Step 2: 241/97

Went up 33 points! UW was definitely the way to go!!!

Been using Kaplan for Step 2 and am getting about 63% correct through 80% of the questions. Anyone use QBank and have any idea what ~63% would translate to on the real thing?

Maybe I should push the test back a couple weeks and start USMLE world. Opinions?

OBGYN07 said:
Took Step 2 on July 24th. Studied for 2 wks. Used WORLD and did all 2000+ questions only once. UW test avg = 62.5%. Read the explanations even though kind of slacked off towards the end. Used Kaplan to study for Step 1, walked out of the test feeling like I was given the wrong test or something...felt HORRIBLE! Went into Step 2 with way more confidence. Felt that UW questions were much harder than the actual exam. Didn't feel horrible walking out, but still had no clue how I had done.

Step 1: 208/85
Step 2: 241/97

Went up 33 points! UW was definitely the way to go!!!

Damn, congratulations! You did something right, obviously...that's fantastic!

OK i realize that this is a UW thread but there is no thread for Kaplan so....

I used step 2 and IM Qbank for aout 6 weeks, got 73% and 60% respectively. Went over a bunch of my wrong answers in each in the last days up to the test. I also read through FA, B and W, and a little bit of peds/OB blueprints.

Step One: 244/99
Step Two: 258/99

So based on that I can't help but think that this board underrates Kaplan for Step 2 a little bit. I'm not sure there would be a huge improvement if I used UW instead. Of course I probaly studied longer than most people and used more than just qbank.
So my advice is that it probably doesnt matter what you use as much as it does how hard you work at it. Oh, and to work your ass off 3rd year. That's the greatest board prep strategy of all.
The only thing I would have done over is not look at that "Step 2 estimator" webpage. I freaked out when I took a practice test and saw that my score correlated to a 212. Of course it wasn't till 3 days later that I happened to notice that the R value was about .5. The best predictor is probably the USMLE CD, if anything.

finally got my scores, taken 7/28

step 1: 229
step 2: 222 (nbme 1 predicted 239, dunno what the hell happened)

not exactly all that ecstatic about the drop in scores but studied UW for only about 10 days straight so im happy i passed :)

InHoc said:
Just took Step II yesterday and must say that I feel like I got *&$%ing WORKED. Is it bad that I felt a bit more confident coming out of step I?! (got a 243 on that). How often do people score below their step I score on step II?

Studied all of WORLD (67% - started high 50s, ended low 70's). Did Secrets and through Fisrt Aid once. NBME about a week before predicted 245, but I felt like Step II was harder than both NBME and WORLD - anyone else?

The biggest thing on this test for me was TIME. The test I had had long passages followed by answer selections of antibiotics or other treatment modalities ranging from A-to-G and more than a handful from A-to-Z!! Finished each block with usually 2 minutes or less left, which left me enough time for me to laugh at myself and how I had marked about 15 to go back and look at. In WORLD, I took all questions in 46 question blocks timed and would finish with 5-ish minutes to go back and review the marked ones. There's a huge difference between 2 and 5 minutes, unfortunately.

I'll follow this post up when I get my score and hopefully they curve it to passing. Any other people feel like they came out of Step II and felt worse about it than when they came out of Step I??

Thanks to all the posters who came before me.

Follow-up Post:
Took test 7/27
Got score 8/16 - pretty quick
Step 1: 243
NBME practice test 1 for step 2: 245 predicted
USMLE World: 67%
Step 2: 241

Scored 2 points less, but quite okay with it since I thought I came close to failing. I really hate when people say they think they did terrible and end up doing well, but in this case I honestly felt like I did not do that well even while taking the test - so, sorry for being 'that guy'. A little luck and a lot of prayer pulled it off.

Studied 4 weeks - 6hrs/d first 2wks then 10hrs/d. Quasi-system/rotation based progression through USMLE world, FA, and Step 2 Secrets. Took notes on World questions I got right and also ones I got wrong. I would leave about 20 questions per subject before progressing to the next subject of questions. That way, at the end you have a significant pool left over to take plenty of randomly selected, timed, unanswered blocks of 46Qs.

Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
a_ditchdoc said:
I have been following this thread for a while now so I thought I would contribute. I just took the beast yesterday. Of course, I have mixed feelings about the exam. There were a few questions that a profoundly ******ed person could have figured out, assuming they had actually attended medical school. Most were pretty straight forward, some challenging, and some that made me ask myself "What the hell are they looking for...I have no clue." A few I came across even seemed to have some factual errors that I could not reconcile. I don't mean difficult, I just mean wrong information...no way to get them right that I am aware of. It really surprised me. But, this accounted for only a few.

I did about half of USMLEworld, and read through First Aid and Boards and Wards. They were all helpful, especially USMLEworld, which was difficult in comparison to Step 2 (I kept thinking during the exam, "They cannot be this easy!"). Of course, there were enough difficult questions that I had to guess at that I am quite unsure of my performance. I am pretty certain I didn't blow it out of the water. So, my stats thus far are:

Step 1: 225/91

Step 2 Prep
NBME 1: 520/222 (5 weeks out)
USMLEworld: 68%, 50% of questions. Last 7 blocks were 64-80%
Step 2: Will let you know soon if I am not terribly ashamed of it.

Thanks for everyone that shared their experiences...

Thought I would post a follow up since I recieved my scores today.

Step 2: 247!!!!! :clap:

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement...

Studied 3 and a half weeks. First Aid step 2 with only selected weak topics in Crush step 2. UW, all 2000, read all explanations carefully, took half page of abbreviated notes on high yield questions one each 46 q block for end of day review: 58% overall. NMS step 2 question book CD, selecting one topic at a time in tutor mode to hammer in weakest areas as indicated by NMBE score break down and UW (ob/gyn, peds, preventative medicine, etc)

NBME 1, 7 days before exam: 222
NBME 2, 5 days before exam: 220
NBME 3, 3 days before exam: 247
Step 1: 209

In retrospect, I wish I took the last NBME 2 days before the exam. Doing it 3 days before, I felt a bit over confident and basically stopped trying, although I am very happy with the results. I would have liked to do more questions in NMS too, but I started using it too late I think (only in the last week). The break down from USMLE score report revealed that I did the best with those subjects I double covered with UW and NMS questions.

Good luck.

sscooterguy said:
Studied 3 and a half weeks. First Aid step 2 with only selected weak topics in Crush step 2. UW, all 2000, read all explanations carefully, took half page of abbreviated notes on high yield questions one each 46 q block for end of day review: 58% overall. NMS step 2 question book CD, selecting one topic at a time in tutor mode to hammer in weakest areas as indicated by NMBE score break down and UW (ob/gyn, peds, preventative medicine, etc)

In retrospect, I wish I took the last NBME 2 days before the exam. Doing it 3 days before, I felt a bit over confident and basically stopped trying, although I am very happy with the results. I would have liked to do more questions in NMS too, but I started using it too late I think (only in the last week). The break down from USMLE score report revealed that I did the best with those subjects I double covered with UW and NMS questions.

Good luck.

Nice work...looks like you really stepped it up in the last week! I'm closing in on my date and I wanted to know if you recommend doing all of the NBMEs or not...doesn't seem like you can specifically learn from them, but I guess they're good for figuring out your weaknesses.

What do you guys think? NBME good to figure out where you stand or actually to learn from as well?

AS

AbuSimpson said:
Nice work...looks like you really stepped it up in the last week! I'm closing in on my date and I wanted to know if you recommend doing all of the NBMEs or not...doesn't seem like you can specifically learn from them, but I guess they're good for figuring out your weaknesses.

What do you guys think? NBME good to figure out where you stand or actually to learn from as well?

AS

I think they are good to light a fire under your ass and also get a slice of how difficult the questions can be. UW had lots of super hard questions, and I said to myself, there's no way it will be that hard on the real exam, but I really had nothing to back that statement up. When I did the NBME's, I realized that a small, but significant number, maybe 5-10% could be that hard.

I personally liked the NBMEs. I selected to have untimed exams, and I believe you get to keep the exam for like 10 hours or something. What I did was take the exam and timed myself. After finishing under the alotted time, I would take a break and NOT submit the block. I went back and tried to figure out the answer of the hard questions with books or google. I would not change my answer though, even if it were wrong. After feeling comfortable with all of the questions, I would submit the block, and then do it all over again (as there are 4 blocks to each practice exam, and you can only submit and get your score once). Finally, after all of that, you get a score as well as a break down of your performance. I used that to guide studying. This process of doing a 4 block exam and reviewing questions as I did makes it a full 8 hour study day. I did think that I learned from them though.

I'm sure others decided to forgo review to get to the score and the break down, which I guess may be best depending on your study habits.

sscooterguy

sscooterguy said:
I think they are good to light a fire under your ass and also get a slice of how difficult the questions can be. UW had lots of super hard questions, and I said to myself, there's no way it will be that hard on the real exam, but I really had nothing to back that statement up. When I did the NBME's, I realized that a small, but significant number, maybe 5-10% could be that hard.

I personally liked the NBMEs. I selected to have untimed exams, and I believe you get to keep the exam for like 10 hours or something. What I did was take the exam and timed myself. After finishing under the alotted time, I would take a break and NOT submit the block. I went back and tried to figure out the answer of the hard questions with books or google. I would not change my answer though, even if it were wrong. After feeling comfortable with all of the questions, I would submit the block, and then do it all over again (as there are 4 blocks to each practice exam, and you can only submit and get your score once). Finally, after all of that, you get a score as well as a break down of your performance. I used that to guide studying. This process of doing a 4 block exam and reviewing questions as I did makes it a full 8 hour study day. I did think that I learned from them though.

I'm sure others decided to forgo review to get to the score and the break down, which I guess may be best depending on your study habits.

sscooterguy

that seems like a good strategy, but there must be some answer keys floating around somewhere....Just so you know what the right answers are for sure...

gonna give your strategy a try, sscooterguy...at least until an answer key comes to my attention.

sophiejane said:
Step I: 208/85
Step II: 230/93

55% on UW
NBME 1: 220
NBME 2: 205

5 weeks of (leisurely) study with lots of breaks and beer at night. :) Used FA and Secrets, too.

I don't know what did it, maybe the stars just lined up right, but I'm glad to have made an improvement.

Best of luck to all!

Congrat on the Step 2 score. When did you take the NBME's? I took NBME 1 and got 205 :( Did you do all of the UW questions, and how (tutor?). I did UW and ended up with about 56% but that 205 scared me so I pushed back my test.

sscooterguy said:

Good luck.

congrats on the score, just a question though about NMS. How were you doing with each exam in NMS? Its infrequent that I see anyone write that they used it or how they did on it.

Thanks

Bevo said:
congrats on the score, just a question though about NMS. How were you doing with each exam in NMS? Its infrequent that I see anyone write that they used it or how they did on it.

Thanks

When I used the NMS CD, I just selected one topic at a time (Ob/Gyn, Peds, Preventative Med, etc). I created a test with all available questions, and did it in tutor mode. I did as many questions as I could, and then just picked up on that exam where I left off at a later time if my performanced continued to need improvement. I thought this was the most high yield.

The frustrating thing about NMS was that the questions were not always clinical vignettes, and they were sometimes obscure. However, it allowed for focused study, and in the end I realized that its value was not that it simulated USMLE questions, but the fact that it gave you lots of important facts to fill in the gaps left from study aids like First Aid and Crush the Boards.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

sscooterguy

Did about 1300 ?s on UW with an average of 72%. I hope that's enough, would've liked to get through all the ?s, but I was lazy and played a lot of online poker. Good luck to everyone else taking it soon.

Thanks everyone for your great advice...I'm starting 4 weeks today of First Aid and USworld and secrets...! Great job...you all have had great results and I'm hoping for the same!

Whatup everybody, I'm a SDN newbie--started browsing last year and officially joined about a month ago. I've found all the board study information extremely helpful, tons of thanks to everybody who has contributed!

I took the behemoth 7/27, got my score back today:

246/99

I can't be more pleased!

Did about 2/3 of USMLEworld Q's, finished with 68% (but I did 3 46-Q blocks toward the end composed of marked items I had previously gone through, so the average would've been slightly lower otherwise). Read through FA and Crush once, giving more time on areas I felt weakest.

NBME 1: 215 (2 weeks out)
NBME 2: 239 (1 week out)

Walked out of the test feeling pretty good, as if I could've done okay or done well. I wanted to get violent during the pediatric immunodeficiency Q's, and the neurology seemed a little tricky. Nothing really stood out though, very well balanced, and definitely similar (albeit maybe easier) to the NBME's. As it turned out, Neurologic, Immunologic, and Psych were my weakest areas.

The worst part about all of this is that it's Monday, meaning there won't be much celebration in store this evening (I have to leave my house at 5 am tomorrow). At least I'm starting the week on a good note!

Mixmaster said:
Congrat on the Step 2 score. When did you take the NBME's? I took NBME 1 and got 205 :( Did you do all of the UW questions, and how (tutor?). I did UW and ended up with about 56% but that 205 scared me so I pushed back my test.

Thank you, I was pleased. It felt like a much more balanced exam for me than Step I, which I walked out of feeling like a complete idiot because I couldn't remember the minute details of immunological genetics, etc.

I did about 1500 UW q's in tutor mode and read every explanation thoroughly, even the ones I got right. I made notecards about little factoids that I didn't know or needed review on. I reviewed these continually throughout the month and again right before the test.

I did the last 400 or so q's in timed mode as a mock exam. Strangely, I was scoring in the 70s on those, whereas the untimed ones I was getting anywhere from 40-55% most of the time.

I didn't let the NBME get to me. I was happy enough with the 220 on the first one that I didn't let the 205 on the second one get to me. I knew I would never be more prepared than I was the Friday before my Monday test, so I just let the chips fall where they may.

I was very relaxed on test day, and I owe that to the hundreds of q's I did. I also just really tried to keep it in perspective and not let nerves get the best of me.

Finally got my scores:
Took Step 2CK on 7/27, received scores on 8/21

UW 59% (did about 90% of the questions)
Kaplan Qbank 63% (did about 50% of the questions)
Kaplan Qbook 70% (did about 80% of the questions)
Improved on Step I by 17 points!

My advice:
1. I can't say enough about UW - this is an excellent resource! I must have had at least 7-10 questions on my exam that were nearly word-for-word from UW. The explanations and pearls were top notch and right on the money.
2. I would definitely recommend First Aid as the backbone resource to make sure you have covered everything. Crush provided some good information on the surgical subspecialties which aren't really covered in First Aid, but wasn't enough for everything else.
3. Kaplan Qbook was particularly good for IM, Ob/Gyn, and Psych. The explanations on the surgery section reminded me of being scolded while in the OR. Whoever wrote that section definitely isn't happy with their life.
4. Other resources I used:
-I did MKSAP questions half-heartedly just to remind me of some IM specifics. These questions were definitely harder than CK.
-Qbank isn't so great, that's why I only did about 50%. It's not as clinical as I would have liked and there were many pathophysiology questions that weren't the real focus of CK.
5. Best advice for improving your Step 1 score:
STUDY YOUR BUTT OFF FOR THE SHELF EXAMS DURING THIRD YEAR!

I've been reading but not posting, so here it goes.

I studied with an effort seemingly similar to SophieJean. 4 leisurely weeks of about 6-7 hours a day (with about 3-4 hours of productivity). I did about 90% of UW questions with an overall average of about 56%. I "read" Boards and Wards, skipping the sections that I felt comfortable with. I took the NBME 1 5 days before my test and it predicted a 215. Took the real deal on 7/27. Ended up with a 230. A much needed improvment over my 213 on Step 1. I think the improvment came from studying all the answers on UW. Great source.

Hammered it out in 4 1/2 hours (I'm a fast test taker). Feel good about it, but we'll see how I feel in 6 weeks. Good luck to all those yet to take it.

SexPanther said:
Hammered it out in 4 1/2 hours (I'm a fast test taker). Feel good about it, but we'll see how I feel in 6 weeks. Good luck to all those yet to take it.

I was thinking 6 weeks as well. I went to the mail box the other day and there was my score. 3 weeks and 2 days after I took the test. My heart was not ready for the shock, I had to give myself a dose of esmolol to slow it down(just kidding). Turned out okay. Best of luck.

TM

Took Step 2 on 7/28, got scores last Sat.

UW finished about 1600q. Studied about 6 hours/day for 3 weeks while working 8 hours/day in ED. Started in mid 50s ended in upper 60s and low 70s. Serious mental fatigue at end of 3 weeks, 2 easy days of studying before exam.

233/94. Up 12 pts from Step 1.

veo1 said:
Long time lurker on this board. Lots of good advice here that helped focus my studying. At the end of the day you have to find a strategy that works for you. I'm an average student, not special by any stretch of the imagination. It is possible for average people like myself to do well on Step 2. Personally I did not use Kaplan Q-bank and thus cannot comment on it. I wasn't in a position to take time off to study for step 2 (its a long story) so I ended up studying over a stretch of about 2.5 months while on rotations (the last of which was a subinternship in internal medicine with very little free time). Kinda slacked off and studied for perhaps an hour a night mostly doing questions. Went through UW once, finished right at 60% (don't fool yourself by changing answers to boost your percentage!). Read through Crush about 3 times and tried to get through boards and wards the week before the exam. Took step 2 on 7/27. Felt pretty rushed through most of the exam and didn't get to the last question on one section. Wasn't ready for block 8 either (I thought there were only 7!). Anyway left the testing center feeling like I passed but honestly felt like I had done worse than step 1. Going over answers realized I missed quite a few easy ones. However, since tons of material from UW was presented on my exam a lot of the questions were gimmies.

USMLEworld: 60% first time through all unused questions
NBME 1: predicted 223 (5 weeks prior)
Step 1: 229/93
Step 2: 245/99

Nothing to brag about as I've seen plenty of scores on this board that are better than mine. I want to reiterate the fact that I am an AVERAGE student. I felt it was crucial to get through UW. I did it all in tutor mode, question by question (i.e. i would read the explanation as soon as I answered each question). Going through the explanations is essential. If you want to simulate the exam experience take the NBME exams. Otherwise grasping the concepts presented in UW was helpful to me (even though lots questions seemed to repeat themselves). Yeah, Crush is an easy read and perhaps not very thorough but what good is it going into the exam having not mastered the basics? FA for Step 2 was just too lengthy for me, would use it to supplement my studying at the very most. Boards and wards is awesome and I recommend ppl try to browse through it in the days prior to your exam as lots of little factoids and minutia found in that book will be on the exam. Peds and Ob/Gyn Blueprints were good supplements as well if you have time to read a chapter or so each night. Well there's my two cents. Hope it can help someone. Good luck to those of you still studying :luck:

Apparently your waaaay off.

Pompacil said:
Apparently your waaaay off.

If you read my post I said that this is what worked for me and that you have to find what works for you. Just trying to provide some insight for average students.

Just got my score back from the Deans Office:

Step 2 CK: 232

other scores:

Step 1: 219
NBME 1 Predicted: 196
NBME 2 Predicted: 222
USMLE World: 61%

I'm going into Internal Medicine so I'm pretty happy with this score!

I just finished taking CK and wanted to share a few thoughts.
-I'm not really good about remembering the specifics of tests, but in your review, definitely pay attention to "what do you do next" type questions. This isn't what really happens on the floor where multiple actions happen essentially concurrently so most maddening thing about the exam is that you have to select the next best *single* action.
-The test did seem pretty OB heavy to me.
- On the more logistical end, I'm a bit of a space cadet and almost forgot my orange ticket this morning. Also, I would go through the tutorial, even if you think you remember it from last year. I hit the button in the right hand corner thinking that was how to end a block but it was actually to start an unauthorized break. (FYI-if these happens, just talk to the center folks so that they can record that you didn't leave the room and it wont be recorded as an irregularity)

So, my numbers, I'll post the outcome as long as its not too embarrassing (which apparently here means anything lower than 250 ;) )

Kaplan Qbank- 63% (all random timed blocks,unused 94% complete)
UW- ~59% (80% completed, mostly random timed blocks,unused then combo of incorrect /subject specific for last three days)
NBME 2- 215 (two days before)
NBME 1&3- Didnt take

veo1 said:
If you read my post I said that this is what worked for me and that you have to find what works for you. Just trying to provide some insight for average students.

I mostly take issue with you saying that it's impossibe for avg students to do well one Step 2. That's BS. I was average. You were, and got a 245. Which is an awesome score and certainly something to "brag about."

And I agree. Everyone has diffrenet preferences.

I've been following this post for the last 6 weeks, so thanks for all the replies.
Got my scores back yesterday (3 weeks on the day of taking the test).
UW: 65% first half, 65% second half (I was a little worried about not improving).
I always did 46 questions (all subjects) despite where I was at in my studying and finished all the questions.
Read through BW and FA 2-3 times each. Studied for 4 weeks.
I didn't take the NBME practice tests because I was between student loan checks, if ya know what I mean.

So all-in-all,
UW: 65%
Step I: 220
Step II: 259

Interestingly the best predictor of both my Step 1 and Step 2 scores was my shelf exams. My mean shelf exam score was 75.17 (Peds=74, Surgery=67, IM=78, Ob/Gyn=73, Psychiatry=89, Family Medicine=70), and according to the NBME the average on shelf exams is 70 with a SD of 8. So my average scores was 0.64625 SD above the mean. If the mean and SD for my Step 2 are the same as my Step 1 (216 and 23) then that would predict a score of 14.9 points (.64625x23) above the mean, or a 231, one point below my actual score. Of course when I get my score report in the mail I'll know the actual mean and SD and have to adjust my math a bit.

This same method predicted my Step 1 score exactly.

stl said:
I've been following this post for the last 6 weeks, so thanks for all the replies.
Got my scores back yesterday (3 weeks on the day of taking the test).
UW: 65% first half, 65% second half (I was a little worried about not improving).
I always did 46 questions (all subjects) despite where I was at in my studying and finished all the questions.
Read through BW and FA 2-3 times each. Studied for 4 weeks.
I didn't take the NBME practice tests because I was between student loan checks, if ya know what I mean.

So all-in-all,
UW: 65%
Step I: 220
Step II: 259

That is a sick increase. Very impressive. Congrats.

Pompacil said:
I mostly take issue with you saying that it's impossibe for avg students to do well one Step 2. That's BS. I was average. You were, and got a 245. Which is an awesome score and certainly something to "brag about."

And I agree. Everyone has different preferences.

You apparently misread his post. He clearly says it IS possible for average students to do well on step 2, not IMpossible.

I think you owe someone an apology...?

MeganRose said:
I just finished taking CK and wanted to share a few thoughts.
-I'm not really good about remembering the specifics of tests, but in your review, definitely pay attention to "what do you do next" type questions. This isn't what really happens on the floor where multiple actions happen essentially concurrently so most maddening thing about the exam is that you have to select the next best *single* action.
-The test did seem pretty OB heavy to me.
- On the more logistical end, I'm a bit of a space cadet and almost forgot my orange ticket this morning. Also, I would go through the tutorial, even if you think you remember it from last year. I hit the button in the right hand corner thinking that was how to end a block but it was actually to start an unauthorized break. (FYI-if these happens, just talk to the center folks so that they can record that you didn't leave the room and it wont be recorded as an irregularity)

So, my numbers, I'll post the outcome as long as its not too embarrassing (which apparently here means anything lower than 250 ;) )

Kaplan Qbank- 63% (all random timed blocks,unused 94% complete)
UW- ~59% (80% completed, mostly random timed blocks,unused then combo of incorrect /subject specific for last three days)
NBME 2- 215 (two days before)
NBME 1&3- Didnt take

Here's me to hope you do well... my stats are very similar to yours.
Same UW overall, Qbank is like 68-69% (I did a booboo with the first block and some tutoral so I got 50 wrong when I pressed end to end the tutorial and begrungingly the block of questions ..).

My test is like 4 weeks away...

sophiejane said:
You apparently misread his post. He clearly says it IS possible for average students to do well on step 2, not IMpossible.

awww..that's mighty kind of you!

sophiejane said:

Wow. pwnage.

Thanks for pointing that out Sophie and sorry other guy. Apparently reading comprehension continues to elude me.

I wanted to thank everyone for their adivse, really helped me during my studying. I used Kaplan Notes and World. World is an invaluable source. I suggest using that as a primary source if your time is limited doing the questions and reading all of the answers and the learning objectives at the bottom. I had about 3 weeks to study and hammered through World.

World - 63% - time mode, 46Q blocks
NBME 2 - 232 - 2 weeks before
NBME 1 - 244 - 3 days before
Step II - 238/96 - scores back in exactly 3 weeks
Step I - 228/91

A little lower than the nbme predicted. Overall still happy with my results. I also got together with a buddy 3 days before the test and we quizzed each other on some question that we had both gotten wrong on world, helped reinforce some of those zebra questions. Overall the actual test was easier than world and slightly harder than the nbmes for those of you who want a range. Good luck to all still studying.

I wanted to thank everyone for their adivse, really helped me during my studying. I used Kaplan Notes and World. World is an invaluable source. I suggest using that as a primary source if your time is limited doing the questions and reading all of the answers and the learning objectives at the bottom. I had about 3 weeks to study and hammered through World.

World - 63% - time mode, 46Q blocks
NBME 2 - 232 - 2 weeks before
NBME 1 - 244 - 3 days before
Step II - 238/96 - scores back in exactly 3 weeks
Step I - 228/91

A little lower than the nbme predicted. Overall still happy with my results. I also got together with a buddy 3 days before the test and we quizzed each other on some question that we had both gotten wrong on world, helped reinforce some of those zebra questions. Overall the actual test was easier than world and slightly harder than the nbmes for those of you who want a range. Good luck to all still studying.

Just out of curiousity, when did you take the exam?

NBME exam = 210
NBME exam = 200
Step 1 = 194
Step 2 = 224

I am not a great test taker, but I do think USMLE World helped a lot -just practicing the questions.

Congrats to all those with slick scores! I was going for at least 1 std above the mean, but I'll take what I can get! I certainly felt as if I failed that exam when I left. It was funny because it never even occured to me that failing the exam was even a possibility... until I started taking the exam. As you can tell - extreme test anxiety.

Good luck to all that still have to take the exam!!

Hi Everyone,

So I almost never write on this website but I'd thought I'd share with everyone what has worked for me. Maybe it will help you.

Step 1 247/99
Step 2CK 260/99
USMLE World Average: Just shy of 67%

Took exam Aug 3...scores back today.

I am taking a year off of school to participate in a research project in Peru so I studied full time the whole month of July.

I did the Kaplan Q book 850 and read all explanations. I thought it was good but probably not enough by itself. I read Crush the Boards once (didn't like it - too general) and I read First Aid twice (I liked it but it's a book I feel you need to read over and over to get the most out of it). I then signed up for USMLE World. I did all questions, mostly on timed mode but tutor was good too. I also read all explanations to all answers, right and wrong.

So, I think the best piece of advice I can give is to sign up for USMLE World and try to do all the questions and read through all the explanations. Those questions really really helped me on the test. First Aid was a good book but if you have like 2 weeks to study for this thing, I would spend my time doing questions than trying to get comfortable with a new book.

Good Luck to everyone!

Took exam Aug 3...scores back today.

I took it on Aug. 5th. I wonder if there is any chance of getting my score soon?!? I know I fall into the delayed score reporting lagoon that was posted on their website but I though Aug. 3rd fell into that as well. :oops: