USMLERX Qbank??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a full year subscription to this and answering questions based on the classes I am taking now or at the time. Does this sound like a good way to prep, and has anyone else tried or trying this method?

Members don't see this ad.

thats a good idea but i usually recommend 6months Rx subscription followed by 6month kaplan qbank

If you don't want a subscription, you can alternatively purchase First Aid Q and A book. Questions are mostly from usmlerx.com

Members don't see this ad :)
I used USMLERx preparing for the micro shelf and just continued to use it for another 3 mos. I would say to use this one earlier than other Q banks for a few reasons: 1) The answers pop up with the actual answer as found in FIRST AID so you are also getting familiar with that 2) The questions are actually on a lot of material THAT's not in first aid, so you can fill in some stuff thats missing 3) It's much CHEAPER than the others!

I also thinks it's smart to do questions as you go thru classes. My grades went up a lot, especially in path and pharm when I started doing all the questions related to it in q banks. Good luck!

This is probably the smartest thing to do during your preclinical years.

I am about 700 questions into Rx and it has been a great learning tool to emphasize the important topics and facts from each organ system.

Basically, by the time you're done with MS II, you'll have completed First Aid and 3200 questions - an incredible advantage. Then, during your 8 weeks or so of Step 1 prep, you can zero in on UWorld and Qbank if you want. That's my plan, at least.

Which do you believe is better, UW or USMLERX? I know with USMLERX they use the same format/software that is used on the Step, not sure if this is the case with UW?
UW uses same interface also, infact all three qbanks use same interface, i was under the impression you are about a year away from the step 1, if you are close then of course get UW

Which do you believe is better, UW or USMLERX? I know with USMLERX they use the same format/software that is used on the Step, not sure if this is the case with UW?

I have no idea which is better because I just finished first year myself, but it seems the general consensus around here is that UW is the qbank of choice.

UW uses same interface also, infact all three qbanks use same interface, i was under the impression you are about a year away from the step 1, if you are close then of course get UW
Yeah I am a year out. Why is UW better if you're in a pinch for time?

Yeah I am a year out. Why is UW better if you're in a pinch for time?

In my opinion, prepares you better mentally for the real exam. Typically uworld questions are slightly tougher than actual step 1. Usmlerx questions are slightly less complex and depend more or less on knowledge given in first aid.

Why not do UW instead?

1) because UWorld is considered the best Qbank for preparing for the actual exam, and therefore is not something that you want to waste on classes.

2) Because UWorld is pretty short. If you like to learn by doing questions, you want the sheer volume that Rx and Qbank have. Quality for review, but quantity for the first pass.

3) Because the questions are much more integrative, and I'm not sure how well it would work when you've only done a few blocks of second year.

4) Because it's more expensive.

So, yeah, good plan, but use Rx or Qbank.

Members don't see this ad :)
my usmlerx estimated score was 248, I scored 249/99, pretty good predictor and it helped. i also used usmleworld, gunner trainining, goljan Qbank, BRS question bank, and some exammaster. definitely do as many questions possible.

probably a stupid question, but you can do Rx questions based on the organ, right? i am about to sign up for 9 months. either this or kaplan, but leaning towards rx.

probably a stupid question, but you can do Rx questions based on the organ, right? i am about to sign up for 9 months. either this or kaplan, but leaning towards rx.

Yeah, you pick a subject first (anatomy, physio, pharm, path, etc.) and then the organ system second. Of course, you can pick up "all subjects/organs" too so you can cover all subjects in one organ system, or cover all organ systems in one subject.

Hey guys, i'am also in a sort of similar dilemma. I wanted to burn through a bunch of questions from a different qbank before I move on to Uworld. I recently bought Goljan RR 3ed and it came with a discount code for the Uconsult qbank. I was wondering what you guy's think of Uconsult. Is it alright? I plan on doing Uconsult and Rx both. Then do kap qbank. And finally close to my exam start UW. Is this a reasonable strategy? I also have access to exammaster but I seriously doubt the quality of those questions based on what i have heard from everybody on this forum. So I don't think i will do them. Also what are your thoughts on this kryptic? You seem to be a senior member on this forum. Everyone else is also welcome to share their opinions on this as well.:)

Why do people not like Kaplan? I recently tried the free trials of both Kaplan and Rx, and Kaplan seems to have more features, better explanations, and also references FA. I also like the reKap feature. The free Rx questions were not that impressive.

So, what I'm learning is a lot of people start doing practice problem more than a year out from the actual test. I'm only about a month away from completing my first semester, but I like the idea of getting started early and doing millions of practice problems (I learn very little from reading books and really start to understand stuff when I apply it).

Even though all I know is anatomy and histology, would it be a good idea to start this up now and keep doing it when I take Physio, Biochem, etc. next semester? Seems like it would be good practice for classes too.

If so, start with Rx and then more to UW when test time gets a tad closer? Thanks!

So, what I'm learning is a lot of people start doing practice problem more than a year out from the actual test. I'm only about a month away from completing my first semester, but I like the idea of getting started early and doing millions of practice problems (I learn very little from reading books and really start to understand stuff when I apply it).

Even though all I know is anatomy and histology, would it be a good idea to start this up now and keep doing it when I take Physio, Biochem, etc. next semester? Seems like it would be good practice for classes too.

If so, start with Rx and then more to UW when test time gets a tad closer? Thanks!

If you mean you're in your first year then no I wouldn't recommend doing problem banks at this point.

Take biochem for example: When you take it you'll cover core biochem (glycolysis, TCA, etc...) which is definitely a part of the problem banks, but when you select biochem on a problem bank it will take you through both the core biochem and all the systems biochem as well. Simply put it won't help that much since you won't have seen much of the material.

I'd wait until you get to systems for problem banks, but definitely get subject specific review books for extra problems. Physio - BRS Phys, micro I used Lippincotts Micro Q&A, etc...

bump? kaplan qbank vs usmle rx?

I've done both. UsmleRX hands down.

I had heard that Kaplan was mostly trivia beforehand...and the rumors were true. A lot of the questions are vignettes with a one line question at the end that doesn't require the vignette. It feels more like fact recall. Maybe the worst part is how esoteric some of the questions are. Many of the pharm questions are drugs that I have never heard of and are low yield.

UsmleRX has its weak points as well but is overall better. It hammers first aid down your throat.