USMLEWorld During 3rd Year Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrtWhtNrth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After my success with USMLEWorld in studying for step 1 I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about using USMLEWorld during my core rotations in third year. Do you think that it would be a waste of money? Do you think that it would be helpful in preparing for the shelf exams? A year's subscription is like 400 bux, but I'd be willing to go for it if any of you think it would be helpful. Anyway thank in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

After my success with USMLEWorld in studying for step 1 I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts about using USMLEWorld during my core rotations in third year. Do you think that it would be a waste of money? Do you think that it would be helpful in preparing for the shelf exams? A year's subscription is like 400 bux, but I'd be willing to go for it if any of you think it would be helpful. Anyway thank in advance for any help.

I think it's a little overkill. Do you really have 400 to waste on top of regular core books that you need for each rotation? I'd stick with case files and pretest for your cores as well as NMS and step up(I hear that's a good one) for medicine. Wait till third year is over, and register for world then take the exam as soon as you can in 4th year before you forget everything.

Funny when I registered for world a month ago I laughed at the year subscription option, and wondered, what kind of gunner would pay for a whole year? Guess there are some out there.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i don't think it is a horrible idea, although i certainly would not pay to have UW for the entirety of 3rd year. however i used it sporadically (got about 30% done) during my IM rotation, which was my last of 3rd year, knowing i would take step 2 shortly after. i think it was a huge help for the IM shelf (i typically got mid-upper 70s raw on shelfs --> 87 raw on IM), which then helped out a ton for step 2 since IM was my best section. just for reference my step 1 was 210(85) and step 2 232(96), and overall i'm a pretty average student. btw i hated step up for medicine, used only UW, MKSAP, case files, just my opinion, but if you feel you study best using questions i wouldn't waste my time forcing myself to read texts.