Usn P2 Year Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonled

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for anyone who goes to USN how hard your p2 year is compared to your p1? Do you have to study more, or is it about the same.

Members don't see this ad.

P2 is relatively harder in a sense that you have much more materials to be absorbed in a same period of time comparing to P-1. However, the materials are more interesting because you actually learn about the disease state management and clinical approach to improve patients' outcome as a pharmacist. In P-1, you might learn about this drug A, mechanism of action this and that, adverse side effect,....take the test....then forget the next day and don't even know why the heck you have to cram a bunch of drugs together for. In P-2, you learn about the disease first, their pathophysiology, symtoms, and then learning about the drugs that treat/prevent such disease with specific population (elderly, adults, kid, kidney disease patients, asthma, etc....)

I enjoyed both years. But P-2 is when i really get my appreciation about the pharmacy profession. Good luck...and study wisely.

I'd have to agree with rx4life...P2 year is harder but more rewarding. I remember only studying the Thursday before the test my p1 year and this year I am starting the week before the exam. I find myself even getting a little ahead by reading Dipiro before the lectures. I guess I have more motivation because you start to see the application of all this stuff. Also I like the professors better this year probably because they are more applicable to the profession. Nothing against the first year profs., its just that the second year they are practicing this stuff at a much more intimate level.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, I thought USN does not have any course texts. So, how do you know what to read??

We don't have any REQUIRED texts but most professors base their lectures from Dipiro's Pharmacotherapy and the latest guidelines. So maybe you won't be getting exactly what the professor is going to stress, you still get a good foundation. Dipiro among many others are SUGGESTED texts. We are not tested on it unless the professor goes over it, but I am always looking for ways to broaden my education.

I dont go to USN but anyway, I would assume Dipiro to cover your pathphys, and therapy options. EVERY pharmacist student should have a copy!!!