SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USN PharmD/MBA joint program

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dinu, Apr 8, 2007.

1. dinu

dinu Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2005
    Hi,
    I received an information package for PharmD/MBA joint program at USN. This seems like a cool idea because u only have to take MBA classes during pharmacy course breaks and also the tuition is cheaper for pharmacy students. Any USN pharmacy students who already in this program? What do u guys think about this?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cccat

cccat 2+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2006
    any reason why pharmacists need MBA degree unless pharmacists own their own business?

Do you know any info among extensive career opportunity for pharmacists in which field of the business pharmacist can own their own business?

1. independent retail store for out patients or care home etc....
    2. wholesaler
    3. ?
    4?
    5?

4. dinu

dinu Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2005
    I feel like MBA would be a big plus on getting career advancements such as management positions in healthcare organizations (hospitals, retail chains..). Wouldn't that be an advantageous when competing with other Pharm.Ds for positions? I am not sure having a MBA would get you a higher starting salary.
    Anyway, I haven't decided whether I am going to do it. I just like to get other people's perspective on this. My biggest concern is the time issue. Please free to post your comments.
    :)

5. Insomniac12

Insomniac12 2+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2006
    pharm. corporations.

yaap..that's about it. =)

and that sounds 29348729347234x better than working at a cvs for the rest of your life.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 8, 2005
    not if u make 200k like my pharmacy manager did at cvs last yr :D

7. gvsk

gvsk pharMAFIA!!! 2+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    i dont think the mba prog at usn is accredited though so please look into that. and any info on the application procedure will be appreciated

8. gsinccom

gsinccom 7+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Wasatch Front
    good thread guys

9. piyi

piyi 5+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I'm not going to go for it. I just don't like business classes or business related anything. If you're thinking about becoming a pharmacy manager or opening your own pharmacy, or even if you just want to understand more about the business aspects of pharmacy, then it would probably be a good thing for you to take.

10. mxktm185

mxktm185 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I looked into this program with USN also because I am very interested in the possibility of owning and operating an independent community pharmacy, but the reality is that having your MBA in addition to your Pharm.D. will most likely only benefit you if you are interested in pursuing a corporate level position with one of the retail chains or a drug company.

As far as getting a job simply as a staff pharmacist, it won't increase your salary or really even make you more attractive than another candidate. The only skill a retail employer is interested in is your ability to perform as a competent pharmacist, exclusive of whatever other business knowledge you may have amassed. A pharmacy manager position isn't going to be offered to you over another pharmacist just because you have an MBA either.

If you're looking to pursue a position like the DOP of a hospital, then maybe the MBA might help a little, but if a hospital admin position is your goal, you really should be worried about getting your MPH rather than an MBA.

The business knowledge gained through an MBA program I think would definately be useful if you owned your own pharmacy and had to deal with a lot of the business aspects that most retail staff pharmacists never have to worry about. That being said though, I work for a pharmacist who owns a very successful independent community pharmacy with no real business training, just a lot of passion and determination.

So no doubt, getting your MBA in addition to your Pharm.D. would be a great accomplishment; but if it doesn't really give you any advantage once you graduate, is it really worth it? ...good luck on your decision.