USNWR 2017 Rankings (DO NOT make another thread about this)

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
USNWR 2017 Research Medical School Rankings

0. If anyone else makes a thread in pre-allo about this, it will be locked. Let's keep discussion about it here.

1. Because I know this thread is going to be made at some point, so I'm going to make it myself

2. Because I know as much as everyone pretends not to care, everyone here is at least a tiny bit curious

3. If this thread gets out of hand, I will lock it

Have at it, don't take them too seriously, and don't get crazy

Edit: For reference, I found the older 2016 rankings for the top 25:

Code:
Old rankings: 

1. Harvard University

2. Stanford University

3. Johns Hopkins University (tie)

3. UC San Francisco (tie)

5. UPenn Perelman

6. Washington University – St. Louis

7. Yale University

8. Columbia University (tie)

8. Duke University (tie)

10. Chicago Pritzker (tie)

10. Michigan – Ann arbor (tie)

10. University of Washington (tie)

13. UCLA Geffen

14. NYU (tie)

14. Vanderbilt University (tie)

16. University of Pittsburgh

17. UC San Diego

18. Cornell Weill

19. Northwestern Feinberg

20. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

21. Baylor College of Medicine

22. UNC Chapel Hill

23. Emory University

24. Case Western Reserve University

25. University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

Source: http://blog.accepted.com/2015/03/16/u-s-news-2016-best-medical-schools-research-primary-care/
 
Last edited:
Did WASHU creep up? I don't remember her being ahead of Columbia.

Also, UCSD is a top-20 school!? I can't help but feel a little pride that we have 3 UCs in the top 20 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NYU now on the cusp of Top 10????!!!!11 WHAT

Edit: For those curious, the changes within the top 20 from last year are:

Penn +2
Columbia +1
Yale -1
UW +2
Mich -1
Chicago -1
UCLA -1
NYU +3
Vandy -1
UCSD -1
Northwestern +2
Icahn Mt. Sinai -1
Baylor +1
 
Last edited:
NYU now on the cusp of Top 10????!!!!11 WHAT

Edit: For those curious, the changes within the top 20 from last year are:

Penn +2
Columbia +1
Yale -1
UW +2
Mich -1
Chicago -1
UCLA -1
NYU +3
Vandy -1
UCSD -1
Northwestern +2
Icahn Mt. Sinai -1
Baylor +1

And the neuroticism on pre-allo increases by 50% as premeds frantically analyze this information to decide which school to attend.

Just kidding. You all are smarter than that.
 
You all are smarter than that.
:laugh:
UCLA -1
UCSD -1
images
 
Some of these rankings just don't add up. There are a couple of institutions that I personally know are cranking out tons of great research that are listed as "unranked". Sometimes feel US News rankings are swayed mostly on name brand of the school.
 
Methodology for those interested:

20% is peer rating

20% is residency director rating

15% is total research activity (measured by money)

15% is research activity per faculty member (also measured by money)

13% is MCAT score

6% is GPA

1% is acceptance rate

10% is faculty to student ratio

So basically 40% is reputation, 30% is money, 20% is selectivity, and the other 10% is "resources" (indirectly money)
 
Idk man, might be smart to matriculate NYU since it's on trajectory to be the new Harvard in a few years
Seriously though, what's up with the meteoric rise of NYU in the ranking in the past few years??? Can anyone explain this? The actual prestige and quality of the school can't have risen this high so fast right?
 
Seriously though, what's up with the meteoric rise of NYU in the ranking in the past few years??? Can anyone explain this? The actual prestige and quality of the school can't have risen this high so fast right?

They got a lot of NIH funding after Hurricane Sandy totally wrecked their ED and some other parts of their building which hasn't run out yet. I think they've also been poaching some high powered research faculty too who brought some big grants with them.
 
They got a lot of NIH funding after Hurricane Sandy totally wrecked their ED and some other parts of their building which hasn't run out yet. I think they've also been poaching some high powered research faculty too who brought some big grants with them.

Does NIH funding translate to new facilities as well? There's like a *ton* of construction and renovation going on around at their medical center, and I'm wondering if it's related to this funding somehow.

They also got a new dean a few years ago who is apparently hell bent on making NYU a premier institution.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They had a beastly guy running the show until recently when they promptly fired him for his borderline "house of cards" style tactics. It will take a few years to see the impact on their ratings, depending on how the new guys runs things.

Are you talking about Grossman? Cuz I believe he's the one that's been responsible for steering this change. He's still there.
 
I do hazily recall reading that NYU recently made a change in their head honcho, for some reason replacing the guy who had shot them up into 14th place by last year. Did they not?
 
I do hazily recall reading that NYU recently made a change in their head honcho, for some reason replacing the guy who had shot them up into 14th place by last year. Did they not?

Yeah, but I believe that guy is Robert Grossman. He has been in charge of the NYU Med and the Langone Medical Center since 2007, and is still there. His tenure coincides with NYU's rise.

Found an article that goes into more details. Basically, since he's been on board, NYU has expanded and renovated it's campus and medical center, received increased NIH funding, launched a new curriculum, and added a few extra billion dollars in revenue.

http://nyulangone.org/our-story/our-leadership/executive-leadership/robert-i-grossman-md
 
Last edited:
They had a beastly guy running the show until recently when they promptly fired him for his borderline "house of cards" style tactics. It will take a few years to see the impact on their ratings, depending on how the new guys runs things.

I do hazily recall reading that NYU recently made a change in their head honcho, for some reason replacing the guy who had shot them up into 14th place by last year. Did they not?

John Sexton was in charge of the main NYU, and he's the one who was recently fired. But, that has virtually nothing (if even that much) to do with running the medical center and the school of medicine, which is functionally (and geographically) a very distinct entity. Dean Grossman, who's the dean of the school and CEO of the medical center, has been at NYU for several years and hasn't gone anywhere.
 
Yeah, but I believe that guy is Robert Grossman. He has been in charge of the NYU Med and the Langone Medical Center since 2007, and is still there. His tenure coincides with NYU's rise.

Found an article that goes into more details. Basically, since he's been on board, NYU has expanded and renovated it's campus and medical center, received increased NIH funding, launched a new curriculum, and added a few extra billion dollars in revenue.

http://nyulangone.org/our-story/our-leadership/executive-leadership/robert-i-grossman-md

He completed his internship at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston in 1973, and then a neurosurgery residency from 1974 to 1976 at the University of Pennsylvania. This was followed by a radiology residency at the University of Pennsylvania in 1979, and a two-year fellowship in neuroradiology at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is board certified in radiology and neuroradiology.

Which pre-med can spot the weird thing about this guy's online bio (that I just posted)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it was clear that he didn't finish it, but switched to and completed a radiology residency. I guess the way it's written is a little misleading.

He completed his internship at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston in 1973, and then a neurosurgery residency from 1974 to 1976 at the University of Pennsylvania.

It's either poor writing or an awful error
 
I remember during NYU's interview day, they showed us a graph of the med school's historical ranking. Not going to lie, I thought it was pretty impressive how they've managed to shoot up from the mid 30's to almost a T-10 school in such a short time period. The question is how long this rise will be sustainable. At some point you're going to bump up against the Harvard/Stanford/Penn/Yales and have a tough time out-ranking them.

I got into a couple of T-10 schools that I really liked. Should NYU be more on my radar? If this trend keeps up it looks like NYU will be a T-10 school next year. I do care about rank more than I should, but I'm pre-med and therefore think this stuff is important.
 
I remember during NYU's interview day, they showed us a graph of the med school's historical ranking. Not going to lie, I thought it was pretty impressive how they've managed to shoot up from the mid 30's to almost a T-10 school in such a short time period. The question is how long this rise will be sustainable. At some point you're going to bump up against the Harvard/Stanford/Penn/Yales and have a tough time out-ranking them.

I got into a couple of T-10 schools that I really liked. Should NYU be more on my radar? If this trend keeps up it looks like NYU will be a T-10 school next year. I do care about rank more than I should, but I'm pre-med and therefore think this stuff is important.

wow lol
 
I remember during NYU's interview day, they showed us a graph of the med school's historical ranking. Not going to lie, I thought it was pretty impressive how they've managed to shoot up from the mid 30's to almost a T-10 school in such a short time period. The question is how long this rise will be sustainable. At some point you're going to bump up against the Harvard/Stanford/Penn/Yales and have a tough time out-ranking them.

I got into a couple of T-10 schools that I really liked. Should NYU be more on my radar? If this trend keeps up it looks like NYU will be a T-10 school next year. I do care about rank more than I should, but I'm pre-med and therefore think this stuff is important.

Do you mean you got into T10 schools for undergrad?
 
I'm biased because I'm an MS4 at NYU and matriculated here when we were ranked in the 20s but I would honestly consider NYU over some T10 schools. Our Step 1 average is super high (242 last year and I think our class did better) and higher than any other NYC program, my friends got awesome interviews and didn't feel limited at all and the training at Bellevue was unbelievable. We also tend to be a more social class than similarly ranked programs which was a huge plus for me. If you have specific questions, PM me.
 
Huh, Sinai is no longer top 20. I seem to recall that they really prided themselves on that "Top 20 school" figure. May have just been me hearing people say that a lot on my interview day though. obviously it's still a terrific school though wether it's #20 or #21!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Methodology for those interested:

20% is peer rating

20% is residency director rating

15% is total research activity (measured by money)

15% is research activity per faculty member (also measured by money)

13% is MCAT score

6% is GPA

1% is acceptance rate

10% is faculty to student ratio

So basically 40% is reputation, 30% is money, 20% is selectivity, and the other 10% is "resources" (indirectly money)

So basically......

a) Find a way to include any possible research money you can include(ie game ways to include money from previous years, from faculty who have recently left or who retired, inflate the contribution of some relative to others, grants that havent officially been accepted etc)
b) Report the highest possible MCAT avg you can to US News which has no way of verifying this data(ie super score your MCAT scores etc)
c) Find a way to exclude certain research faculty in your calculation of total money/faculity for who for whatever reason didnt generate as many grants in the past year.
d) Know how to influence the people and/or what they see who give these "peer ratings" and who rate "Residency directors" in the millions of ways possible to influence this in a positive way that shall we say arent the most ethical or genuine ways of doing so.

Profit.

I know Im really not breaking any news at all here but the methods US News has to try and detect, check or prevent any of this "gaming" of the system btw are shall we say at best questionable/unknown and probably more likely largely unexistent. Shouldnt surprise anybody either how some of these big schools or in big cities do given this criteria and how it is a disadvantage to smaller schools(ie Mayo).
 
Last edited:
I'm biased because I'm an MS4 at NYU and matriculated here when we were ranked in the 20s but I would honestly consider NYU over some T10 schools. Our Step 1 average is super high (242 last year and I think our class did better) and higher than any other NYC program, my friends got awesome interviews and didn't feel limited at all and the training at Bellevue was unbelievable. We also tend to be a more social class than similarly ranked programs which was a huge plus for me. If you have specific questions, PM me.

How long does NYU have for dedicated time studying for Step1?

For all the people who keep talking about how NYU got a ton of money from the NIH for Hurricane Sandy... are you sure it was from the NIH and not some other government agency? I can't seem to find any info on this online at all... can someone put up a source?