USNWR 2017 Rankings (DO NOT make another thread about this)

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think in addition, a combination of
1. Lack of associated university research departments
2. Lower NIH funding, they have +300m/yr private funding from Mayo foundation
3. Newer school and tiny class. Since rankings here are so reputation based, doesn't really benefit Mayo here

because of the small class size I think their average board scores fluctuate significantly. in 2016 IIRC average was 231, just one point above the nation average while the 2017 has their average at 246, which is the same as penn. maybe that also contributes?
 
Keep in mind the step numbers are apparently bogus (search mimelim's post history) because they're self reported with no way for the typical prospective student to fact check them.
Edit - also I believe they're not included at all in ranking.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People care about ranks. Look at the Peer/Residency Director assessments - those are members of the medical field who have a sort of ranking in their mind. I don't know ANYONE who explicitly/only uses USN&R ranks, but they all have an internal ranking in their mind that correlates (to an extent) with USN&R.

USN&R is simply a way to methodologically create a set list that the general public can look at to get an idea of these rankings and to educate themselves. Many, many people on the west coast (especially those outside of the biomedical field) have never even heard of Mt. Sinai, as hard as that is to believe. But now, they can look at the USN&R rankings to see that hey, Mt. Sinai is actually a pretty prestigious school! Isn't that neat? I think that's neat.

The tone of your posts is off-putting. Can you just stop and stay focused on the purpose of this thread?
I'm completely on topic. I'm making the case for these rankings not really mattering. Realistically, everything works more in tiers than individual ranks- you've got your powerhouse schools (elite all around), your almost-powerhouse schools (good but not quite elite research and academics), your average schools (might have great research or great academics, but generally not both and will be average in some aspect- decent state schools come to mind), and your schools that are lacking in research and prestige due to a lack of research focus and not having a world-renowned teaching hospital. Hence, the USNWR rankings are pointless- that Yale and Harvard and Hopkins get shuffled around a little bit each year really doesn't mean a damn thing- at the end of the day, your application isn't going into the trash because of any of those names. Individual rankings are ultimately meaningless- it's more about what tier your school is viewed as falling within, not its individual ranking. Hell, if you wanted a better tool, more often than not you could just use schools' LizzyM/WARS score and break schools into 25 school chunks from there- I guarantee the results would be similar.
 
The authoritarian tone of this topic's opening post is extremely annoying.

Well this forum is certainly not a democracy and I, for one, accept Wedge as our fascist leader. (Also it makes the mods' life 10x easier when there aren't literally 5 threads about one topic like what happened with the MSAR)
 
And jesus, that letter about Stern is funny in a sad way. We all like to talk about US News being a pile of **** but the way institutions behave, this view is clearly held by a minority. Wonder how much application volume and yield rates suffer after ranking drops

I imagine they matter a lot more to people going into professions where the school you came from really, really seems to matter; i.e MBAs and JDs.
 
I'm completely on topic. I'm making the case for these rankings not really mattering. Realistically, everything works more in tiers than individual ranks- you've got your powerhouse schools (elite all around), your almost-powerhouse schools (good but not quite elite research and academics), your average schools (might have great research or great academics, but generally not both and will be average in some aspect- decent state schools come to mind), and your schools that are lacking in research and prestige due to a lack of research focus and not having a world-renowned teaching hospital. Hence, the USNWR rankings are pointless- that Yale and Harvard and Hopkins get shuffled around a little bit each year really doesn't mean a damn thing- at the end of the day, your application isn't going into the trash because of any of those names. Individual rankings are ultimately meaningless- it's more about what tier your school is viewed as falling within, not its individual ranking. Hell, if you wanted a better tool, more often than not you could just use schools' LizzyM/WARS score and break schools into 25 school chunks from there- I guarantee the results would be similar.

I was talking about your personal jabs at certain users; in my opinion, a back and forth discussion/argument is fine.

Sure, but these "tiers" are slower to "update," and there is no real methodology to share this information beyond word of mouth. For example, NYU is still regarded as a pretty low-tier Manhattan school (look at its peer/residency director ratings, ask your friends who don't know much about medical schools) and is a tier below some of its Manhattan peers such as Columbia/Cornell. But now, on USN&R, it is above Cornell by a pretty significant margin and getting closer to Columbia - perhaps this is an early predictor of subsequent changes in these "tiers." And if not, it's at least interesting to view.

Also, some time ago, when my PI was in med school ~30 years ago, Einstein was considered to be a tier above Sinai. That has clearly changed. But I bet if you looked at the USN&R rankings (if they even published data at that time), it showed this change a lot sooner than the tier rankings in our heads. Things like sudden huge donations (such as what was given by Carl Icahn to Mt. Sinai) that can be used to poach big names with lots of NIH funding aren't really updated in people's heads but they are quickly updated in the USN&R rankings.

I'm not saying that USN&R is the best metric to use, but I do think that it is certainly useful, especially when you consider the trajectories that certain schools have taken on it. Pedigree is important, especially in academia. I bet those people who chose to go to UPenn a couple decades ago are patting themselves on the back. I bet those people who chose to go to Sinai a couple decades ago are patting themselves on the back. I bet those people who chose to go to NYU less than a decade ago are pretty pleased so far
 
Last edited:
Well, I did point out the other side of the coin but that wasn't in your quote lol. I'm curious to know if people think that USN&R is overinflating NYU's status or if people's opinions on NYU need to catch up to USN&R's ranking of NYU

I think @Lost in Translation is referring to a thread a few weeks back where @Goro and @Psai reprimanded him/her for bagging on schools anecdotally.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...omy-at-certain-schools.1184242/#post-17434886
 
I'm curious to know if people think that USN&R is overinflating NYU's status or if people's opinions on NYU need to catch up to USN&R's ranking of NYU
IIRC, NYU's peer assessment lags behind other schools of comparable student body composition in terms of GPA & MCAT. My guess is that their student body has recently and quickly improved, their rank rise reflects partially this but moreso the funding, and prestige/status is going to start catching up. I'd be surprised if NYU continues to sit at Rank 10-15, full of students of 3.9 / 36 caliber, and doesn't start to genuinely rival Cornell/Sinai.

After all, the trick is to convince applicants you're peers with famous names. Snag a few matriculant classes of many students that held other, similarly high ranked names, and in a few years you are now a school full of impressive "top 20" caliber students.
 
I was talking about your personal jabs at certain users; in my opinion, a back and forth discussion/argument is fine.

Sure, but these "tiers" are slower to "update," and there is no real methodology to share this information beyond word of mouth. For example, NYU is still regarded as a pretty low-tier Manhattan school (look at its peer/residency director ratings, ask your friends who don't know much about medical schools) and is a tier below some of its Manhattan peers such as Columbia/Cornell. But now, on USN&R, it is above Cornell by a pretty significant margin and getting closer to Columbia - perhaps this is an early predictor of subsequent changes in these "tiers." And if not, it's at least interesting to view.

Also, some time ago, when my PI was in med school ~30 years ago, Einstein was considered to be a tier above Sinai. That has clearly changed. But I bet if you looked at the USN&R rankings (if they even published data at that time), it showed this change a lot sooner than the tier rankings in our heads. Things like sudden huge donations (such as what was given by Carl Icahn to Mt. Sinai) that can be used to poach big names with lots of NIH funding aren't really updated in people's heads but they are quickly updated in the USN&R rankings.

I'm not saying that USN&R is the best metric to use, but I do think that it is certainly useful, especially when you consider the trajectories that certain schools have taken on it. Pedigree is important, especially in academia. I bet those people who chose to go to UPenn a couple decades ago are patting themselves on the back. I bet those people who chose to go to Sinai a couple decades ago are patting themselves on the back. I bet those people who chose to go to NYU less than a decade ago are pretty pleased so far
It was a lighthearted poke at his reasoning in regard to the discussion, not at him as a person. It seems pre-allo has lost its ability to interpret sarcasm since I stopped spending the majority of my time here.

*****************Text between these stars does not pertain to the conversation so much as the forum itself, feel free to skip*******************
The longer I'm on this site the more I understand why users eventually stop coming to pre-allo altogether after a while- the risk of getting reported for accidentally offending someone and landing yourself with a ban and lack of access to friends and colleagues you care about just isn't worth it, particularly when all you're helping is premeds that, in general, think they know better anyway and often take advice with hostility. Like so many posters before me, I think it's time I wound down my contributions in pre-allo.
*****************Text between these stars does not pertain to the conversation so much as the forum itself, feel free to skip*******************

In regard to trajectories, yeah, they matter. But who honestly looks at more than two years of USNWR before deciding which school to go to? Do you know someone that's digging up the last ten years of back catalogues so that they can make scatter plots of who they think will be the most prestigious school by the time they're applying for residency? I doubt anyone does, and, aside from large drops or gains, most people don't even really pay much attention to the yearly back-and-forth shuffle. It takes a great deal of time for a school to fall from (and often to enter) a given tier within the minds of PDs and academic departments, and that's really something that USNWR is a very poor indicator of over a short period of time.
 
IIRC, NYU's peer assessment lags behind other schools of comparable student body composition in terms of GPA & MCAT. My guess is that their student body has recently and quickly improved, their rank rise reflects partially this but moreso the funding, and prestige/status is going to start catching up. I'd be surprised if NYU continues to sit at Rank 10-15, full of students of 3.9 / 36 caliber, and doesn't start to genuinely rival Cornell/Sinai.

After all, the trick is to convince applicants you're peers with famous names. Snag a few matriculant classes of many students that held other, similarly high ranked names, and in a few years you are now a school full of impressive "top 20" caliber students.

The school that really knows the game is Hofstra.

They come in as a new school several years ago with no reputation really(Hofstra isnt some big name school overall). So here's what they do:
1) Make high MCAT medians.
2) Dont really care as much about your GPA stats and have a low tenth percentile GPA meaning youll take on people with low grades if they bring the MCAT and other stuff because a) High GPAs are so common it's pretty much impossible not to have a reasonably high GPA in your class b) Nobody really cares about a 3.7 median vs 3.8 vs 3.85. They do about a 30/31 vs 34/35.
3) On top of that they happen to have a small class(probably not intentional per se) so it is easier to have a high median MCAT and be very selective
4) take over half your class from New York to establish a key network/reputation in that area
5) take a number of people from top UG schools to establish a network at those top places as well etc.

Now it turns out Hofstra actually has been impressive and the hype is justified and not just a by product of them playing games, but it's a perfect model really to get yourself name recognition and respect fast. It's no conicidence at all, another new school, Va Tech has adopted his model.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school that really knows the game is Hofstra.

They come in as a new school several years ago with no reputation really(Hofstra isnt some big name school overall). So here's what they do:
1) Make high MCAT medians.
2) Dont really care as much about your GPA stats and have a low tenth percentile GPA meaning youll take on people with low grades if they bring the MCAT and other stuff because a) High GPAs are so common it's pretty much impossible not to have a reasonably high GPA in your class b) Nobody really cares about a 3.7 median vs 3.8 vs 3.85. They do about a 30/31 vs 34/35.
3) On top of that they happen to have a small class(probably not intentional per se) so it is easier to have a high median MCAT and be very selective
4) take over half your class from New York to establish a key network/reputation in that area
5) take a number of people from top UG schools to establish a network at those top places as well etc.

Now it turns out Hofstra actually has been impressive and the hype is justified and not just a by product of them playing games, but it's a perfect model really to get yourself name recognition and respect fast.
Dell here is already super hyped and they were more of an abstraction than a physical entity for the entire cycle....
 
It was a lighthearted poke at his reasoning in regard to the discussion, not at him as a person. It seems pre-allo has lost its ability to interpret sarcasm since I stopped spending the majority of my time here.

*****************Text between these stars does not pertain to the conversation so much as the forum itself, feel free to skip*******************
The longer I'm on this site the more I understand why users eventually stop coming to pre-allo altogether after a while- the risk of getting reported for accidentally offending someone and landing yourself with a ban and lack of access to friends and colleagues you care about just isn't worth it, particularly when all you're helping is premeds that, in general, think they know better anyway and often take advice with hostility. Like so many posters before me, I think it's time I wound down my contributions in pre-allo.
*****************Text between these stars does not pertain to the conversation so much as the forum itself, feel free to skip*******************

In regard to trajectories, yeah, they matter. But who honestly looks at more than two years of USNWR before deciding which school to go to? Do you know someone that's digging up the last ten years of back catalogues so that they can make scatter plots of who they think will be the most prestigious school by the time they're applying for residency? I doubt anyone does, and, aside from large drops or gains, most people don't even really pay much attention to the yearly back-and-forth shuffle. It takes a great deal of time for a school to fall from (and often to enter) a given tier within the minds of PDs and academic departments, and that's really something that USNWR is a very poor indicator of over a short period of time.

I agree with what you wrote between the stars. I hope you don't think that I'm offended by these things; I'm just someone who wants to get the important nuggets of information on this site without having to sift through crap haha

To be honest, if I had to choose between 2 schools, I would definitely take a gander at how a school's trajectory changed over the years (not necessarily a ton of data points... but just looking at current, 5 years back, and 10 years back) if I could. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to access old data, and I haven't been admitted to enough schools where trajectory would even be important. Looking into your med school's future quality/trajectory is just as important as looking into your career's future job prospects.

I think that looking at current rankings (and location) is useful for compiling a decent list for applications. But I think that a good amount of heavy research might be useful for figuring out where one should ultimately attend. Of course, the important parts within this "heavy research" are not really the USN&R rankings in particular. But some of what the USN&R rankings use in their methodologies are indeed important for figuring out where one should ultimately attend.
 
IIRC, NYU's peer assessment lags behind other schools of comparable student body composition in terms of GPA & MCAT. My guess is that their student body has recently and quickly improved, their rank rise reflects partially this but moreso the funding, and prestige/status is going to start catching up. I'd be surprised if NYU continues to sit at Rank 10-15, full of students of 3.9 / 36 caliber, and doesn't start to genuinely rival Cornell/Sinai.

After all, the trick is to convince applicants you're peers with famous names. Snag a few matriculant classes of many students that held other, similarly high ranked names, and in a few years you are now a school full of impressive "top 20" caliber students.

Our peer assessment scores do lag behind other schools of comparable student body compositions and does fall behind Columbia/Cornell and ahead of Sinai. However, we have made progress in this regard and we continue to attract applicants that choose to come here over other T20 schools (I think we generally take the majority of people choosing between Sinai vs. NYU and are starting to steal cross-admits from Cornell as well). NYU is a great place to go to medical school, with incredibly diverse training sites, and I'm confident that our peer reputation will catch up to the caliber of our student body in a few more years. Keep in mind, NIH funding from Sandy affected last year's rankings more than anything and doesn't really come to play this year to a large extent. The leadership here is doing everything right. We're attracting higher caliber students, great faculty and making innovative changes in medical education that hasn't really been done at other schools. To top that off, we're super prepared for the boards (as evident by our board scores that rival any school in the country) and graduate NYU being clinically strong (at Bellevue, we do everything for our patients and come out knowing how to do IVs, A lines, etc). I definitely took this for granted because on the interview trail for residency, I realized that many medical students at other schools do not necessarily have this training. Even though I may be biased, I personally think it's a very exciting time to come to NYU.
 
Dell here is already super hyped and they were more of an abstraction than a physical entity for the entire cycle....
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, Dell's been pretty strong with the hype train. Funny how you can create expectations that shape reality despite no actual results.
 
The school that really knows the game is Hofstra.

They come in as a new school several years ago with no reputation really(Hofstra isnt some big name school overall). So here's what they do:
1) Make high MCAT medians.
2) Dont really care as much about your GPA stats and have a low tenth percentile GPA meaning youll take on people with low grades if they bring the MCAT and other stuff because a) High GPAs are so common it's pretty much impossible not to have a reasonably high GPA in your class b) Nobody really cares about a 3.7 median vs 3.8 vs 3.85. They do about a 30/31 vs 34/35.
3) On top of that they happen to have a small class(probably not intentional per se) so it is easier to have a high median MCAT and be very selective
4) take over half your class from New York to establish a key network/reputation in that area
5) take a number of people from top UG schools to establish a network at those top places as well etc.

Now it turns out Hofstra actually has been impressive and the hype is justified and not just a by product of them playing games, but it's a perfect model really to get yourself name recognition and respect fast. It's no conicidence at all, another new school, Va Tech has adopted his model.

Yup, I agree with this for sure. It also probably helps that Hofstra is affiliated with like the richest, biggest hospital system in NY though, so I would think that its rank is somewhat justified in terms of opportunities for students/graduates
 
The school that really knows the game is Hofstra.

They come in as a new school several years ago with no reputation really(Hofstra isnt some big name school overall). So here's what they do:
1) Make high MCAT medians.
2) Dont really care as much about your GPA stats and have a low tenth percentile GPA meaning youll take on people with low grades if they bring the MCAT and other stuff because a) High GPAs are so common it's pretty much impossible not to have a reasonably high GPA in your class b) Nobody really cares about a 3.7 median vs 3.8 vs 3.85. They do about a 30/31 vs 34/35.
3) On top of that they happen to have a small class(probably not intentional per se) so it is easier to have a high median MCAT and be very selective
4) take over half your class from New York to establish a key network/reputation in that area
5) take a number of people from top UG schools to establish a network at those top places as well etc.

Now it turns out Hofstra actually has been impressive and the hype is justified and not just a by product of them playing games, but it's a perfect model really to get yourself name recognition and respect fast. It's no conicidence at all, another new school, Va Tech has adopted his model.
Lets not forget Cal Northstate landing a 32 median MCAT as a for-profit school opening up in the middle of a cycle...clearly they understand the importance of high MCATs too.

Our peer assessment scores do lag behind other schools of comparable student body compositions and does fall behind Columbia/Cornell and ahead of Sinai. However, we have made progress in this regard and we continue to attract applicants that choose to come here over other T20 schools (I think we generally take the majority of people choosing between Sinai vs. NYU and are starting to steal cross-admits from Cornell as well). NYU is a great place to go to medical school, with incredibly diverse training sites, and I'm confident that our peer reputation will catch up to the caliber of our student body in a few more years. Keep in mind, NIH funding from Sandy affected last year's rankings more than anything and doesn't really come to play this year to a large extent. The leadership here is doing everything right. We're attracting higher caliber students, great faculty and making innovative changes in medical education that hasn't really been done at other schools. To top that off, we're super prepared for the boards (as evident by our board scores that rival any school in the country) and graduate NYU being clinically strong (at Bellevue, we do everything for our patients and come out knowing how to do IVs, A lines, etc). I definitely took this for granted because on the interview trail for residency, I realized that many medical students at other schools do not necessarily have this training. Even though I may be biased, I personally think it's a very exciting time to come to NYU.
They ought to quote you in the admissions brochure
 
Our peer assessment scores do lag behind other schools of comparable student body compositions and does fall behind Columbia/Cornell and ahead of Sinai. However, we have made progress in this regard and we continue to attract applicants that choose to come here over other T20 schools (I think we generally take the majority of people choosing between Sinai vs. NYU and are starting to steal cross-admits from Cornell as well). NYU is a great place to go to medical school, with incredibly diverse training sites, and I'm confident that our peer reputation will catch up to the caliber of our student body in a few more years. Keep in mind, NIH funding from Sandy affected last year's rankings more than anything and doesn't really come to play this year to a large extent. The leadership here is doing everything right. We're attracting higher caliber students, great faculty and making innovative changes in medical education that hasn't really been done at other schools. To top that off, we're super prepared for the boards (as evident by our board scores that rival any school in the country) and graduate NYU being clinically strong (at Bellevue, we do everything for our patients and come out knowing how to do IVs, A lines, etc). I definitely took this for granted because on the interview trail for residency, I realized that many medical students at other schools do not necessarily have this training. Even though I may be biased, I personally think it's a very exciting time to come to NYU.

This student perspective is exactly the information that I wanted to hear. Thank you for it. It must definitely be an exciting time to get to go to/graduate from NYU!

Can anyone from a place like Sinai, Cornell, or Columbia offer up their perspectives too on both their own school and NYU?
 
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, Dell's been pretty strong with the hype train. Funny how you can create expectations that shape reality despite no actual results.

To be fair they poached a lot of big-name people from a variety of institutions pretty early on. I think a lot of faculty are eager to move to Austin and have the same pay with 2x the buying power, haha. Their "mission" and aesthetic is also really geared towards the whole disruption-machine, think-differently Silicon Valley-esque rhetoric that gets young people all hot and bothered these days.

Their admissions folks are pretty nice though, at least the ones I met. I told them I was interested in MD / PhD and they were straight up with me, telling me something like "There are plenty of excellent institutions where one can become a great physician and a scientist but we are focusing on other pursuits right now and are not focusing on basic science research now or in the near future". I appreciate the honesty and that they didnt try to sell me on an option which clearly would not have been a good fit.
 
This student perspective is exactly the information that I wanted to hear. Thank you for it. It must definitely be an exciting time to get to go to/graduate from NYU!

Can anyone from a place like Sinai, Cornell, or Columbia offer up their perspectives too on both their own school and NYU?

They're all great schools and no one is or should be saying otherwise without a strong and well-substantiated reason.
 
It was a lighthearted poke at his reasoning in regard to the discussion, not at him as a person. It seems pre-allo has lost its ability to interpret sarcasm since I stopped spending the majority of my time here.

Honestly we all just went a little too far, that whole thing was just a mess and wish it never happened. I cant say I really blame myself really for not thinking you were being sarcastic because a) It didnt appear like you were in the context of the discussion b) This is SDN people say things like that being completely serious all the time being judging/condescending c) Again, this is SDN so I dont really expect humor when it's not blatantly obvious or expected. But at the same time, it just got out of hand.

Im usually much more sarcastic in real life than I am on here so the whole "Cant take a joke thing" I hate feeling and I kinda was that guy there. I dont blame you at all for cutting back on the pre-allo forum; makes perfect sense. Honestly therell definitely come a point(maybe sooner rather than later hard as it is to believe) where Ill do the same for largely the reasons you cited, especially if Im further along in this process and can actually maybe have some credibility posting in the med student forums etc.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're all great schools and no one is or should be saying otherwise without a strong and well-substantiated reason.

I agree that they are all great schools. I just wanted to hear some student perspectives on shifts, whether or not they feel like their school is stagnating, any news about shuffling of professors, etc. that may not be out on some news outlet. It's more about curiosity than anything else
 
Yeah Grapes you really need to tone it down, so out of control all the time on these boards

We all know I post way too much on here way too much, know myself the most realistic solution honestly is to have my account removed to get me to kick the habbit. God knows I need to.
 
We all know I post way too much on here way too much, know myself the most realistic solution honestly is to have my account removed to get me to kick the habbit. God knows I need to.

The surgeon William Halsted weened himself off of heroine with cocaine. You could try becoming addicted to something else? The Song of Ice and Fire Books are pretty addicting to read. Or pay League of Legends. Or try to live a healthy, balanced life. The last one is really hard though
 
The surgeon William Halsted weened himself off of heroine with cocaine. You could try becoming addicted to something else? The Song of Ice and Fire Books are pretty addicting to read. Or pay League of Legends. Or try to live a healthy, balanced life. The last one is really hard though

Hah, The Song of Ice and Fire were pretty epic. Im probably not alone in this lol, I'll find something, really eventually Ill just realize it's all the same stuff everyday on SDN and just get bored of it and magically just kinda stop. At least that's what Im telling myself.
 
Holy sh**. So over a quarter of the NIH research funding that they claim came because of storm relief? Without it, their NIH aggregates would fall below that of all the other NY schools. I kinda wish we get flooded this year too.. jk

Nah, I got so many mice in the basement (mouse facility) of my building that it would actually hurt me more than help.
 
4,428 posts in less than a year? You've got potential.

Unfortunately I probably do. Honestly other than you and that one guy with the Family Guy avatar(forget his name he's got like 60k posts) Im not sure how many other people have a higher ratio of posts/day or month or whatever than me. Efle is pretty up there also but us three are on another level at this.
 
Take note, schools in coastal Florida/South - if your nearby water barriers happened to be weak during storm season, or draining was somehow blocked....

Haha we aren't phased by hurricanes like Sandy, unlike the NE... It would take very concerted, active negligence for a category 3 or less to cause as much damage as Sandy and then complain to the NIH for some funding.

I grew up on a peninsula on the peninsula of FL, and pschhh, category 1/2/3? No worries, easy schmeasy.

Unfortunately the NE isn't built for hurricanes, or even tropical storms, and do need the help they can get to prevent the massive fatalities Sandy did cause.
 
Haha we aren't phased by hurricanes like Sandy, unlike the NE... It would take very concerted, active negligence for a category 3 or less to cause as much damage as Sandy and then complain to the NIH for some funding.

I grew up on a peninsula on the peninsula of FL, and pschhh, category 1/2/3? No worries, easy schmeasy.

Unfortunately the NE isn't built for hurricanes, or even tropical storms, and do need the help they can get to prevent the massive fatalities Sandy did cause.
Well hey, then maybe you'll get lucky in a different way and a meteor will flatten half your departments
 
Well hey, then maybe you'll get lucky in a different way and a meteor will flatten half your departments

Heck I'd welcome a meteor pulverizing our limestone base and sinking the whole state into the ocean! That would certainly relieve America of this god awful state where all the weird criminal cases happen (i.e Zimmerman, Casey Anthony, and other flagrant sexual crimes you see on the news. 9/10 times, it's in FL).

(being sarcastic obvi.)
 
Unfortunately I probably do. Honestly other than you and that one guy with the Family Guy avatar(forget his name he's got like 60k posts) Im not sure how many other people have a higher ratio of posts/day or month or whatever than me. Efle is pretty up there also but us three are on another level at this.
Yeah, and most of J DUB's posts are in the post pad forum- basically just garbage posts to boost his total post number and stay on top lol. jdh has to win for consistency without padding though- he's at a solid 5kish a year if memory serves me.
 
Heck I'd welcome a meteor pulverizing our limestone base and sinking the whole state into the ocean! That would certainly relieve America of this god awful state where all the weird criminal cases happen (i.e Zimmerman, Casey Anthony, and other flagrant sexual crimes you see on the news. 9/10 times, it's in FL).

(being sarcastic obvi.)
Reminds me of this subreddit
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heck I'd welcome a meteor pulverizing our limestone base and sinking the whole state into the ocean! That would certainly relieve America of this god awful state where all the weird criminal cases happen (i.e Zimmerman, Casey Anthony, and other flagrant sexual crimes you see on the news. 9/10 times, it's in FL).

(being sarcastic obvi.)

You forgot Ted Bundy. 🙁

They don't call it Flori-DUH for no reason. Flori-DUH certainly does have a relatively high % of Darwin Award winners.
 

Ah yes Lakeland FL. No surprise. I partially grew up there.

I actually walk by two alligators on the way to work everyday. I named them 😛

Also, we may never have a top school because all the great students want to get the hell out. And we don't have any 'name brand' institutions like Duke, Vandy, or Emory to persuade them to stay or attract OOStaters. The gov't tries to give a monetary incentive (Bright Futures scholarship, which doesn't cover much anymore) to keep those in-state for undergrad, like me. And maybe except Miami, all the other schools (esp. states), don't have the resources to offer scholarships at the undergrad and professional levels.

Oh well. Hopefully our public education will be as great as Cali one day. Come for our beaches instead!! Also cruises.

Some of the best beaches in the world. Not as cold as Cali waters.
 
Last edited: