USNWR 2018 Rankings Up

Started by Overthink
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anyone know why a school would be ranked last year and RNP in both research and PC this year?

RNP implies the school is in the bottom 25% of all schools. As to the exact reason, could be dropping in any factor schools are ranked on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
go ucla! surprised at pritzker. what happened? lol
My the way USNWR ranks medical schools, Pritzker is at a huge disadvantage because they are a much smaller medical schools. One of (if not) the most important factors in their system is total amount of research dollars received by faculty. Since Pritzker is a much smaller medical school (they do this to increase opportunities and attention for their students), they have much less faculty than let's say Harvard and are therefore ranked lower.

It is important to note that Pritzker still remains very competitive...this past cycle their enrolled student average GPA/MCAT was tied for 3rd highest.

-theboatman
 
I think OHSU moved up. They just got 1 billion from Phil Knight (Nike founder). Looks like that money's being well spent.
 
Should we take into account these MCAT medians or no? 505 for UCLA seems like a mistake. Also when is the new MSAR released?
 
My the way USNWR ranks medical schools, Pritzker is at a huge disadvantage because they are a much smaller medical schools. One of (if not) the most important factors in their system is total amount of research dollars received by faculty. Since Pritzker is a much smaller medical school (they do this to increase opportunities and attention for their students), they have much less faculty than let's say Harvard and are therefore ranked lower.

It is important to note that Pritzker still remains very competitive...this past cycle their enrolled student average GPA/MCAT was tied for 3rd highest.

-theboatman

I mean Stanford has an equally sized med school class and they are number 2...
 
don't worry, 4 years from now the program director of the residency you apply for will bust out to 2018 USNEWS rankings. For shame!

Ever notice that no matter how much these rankings change, that reputation/residency director scores remain stagnant? It is because there is a lot of inertia when it comes to med school reputation. I guarantee NYU's scores haven't changed at all, even though they jumped like 20-30 spots over the past few years after the ranking algorithm chaged. At my program, we most certainly don't know or care about this news magazine, and the PD only cares about what the longstanding opinion of the institution has been. But hey, keep on perseverating on the 5 spots up or down!

I'm sorry but people **** on NYU all the time since its increase in rankings. NYU is an awesome med school. As a class, we went out a ton but still worked hard and had our choice of residencies last year. Our average GPA is 3.91 (tied for first with Harvard) and MCAT of 37 (tied for 2nd with 3 other schools behind Penn). Our average Step 1 score has consistently been in the 240s the last 3 years. Sure, rankings don't mean a ton but all factors considered (including fit), I honestly don't think it's outrageous to choose NYU over any medical school in the country.

Isn't the mean GPA for NYU in the 3.8 range though? Sdn , as well as a handful of other sources, peg the average gpa at about 3.8.
Am I wrong? 3.91 is ridiculously High for mean gpa, only WashU, Hopkins, and Harvard have mean GPA's above a 3.85.

lol
 
It was "unranked" last year. Many of the unranked schools still have residency director ratings btw. Even last year you could expect them to have around that rank based on their residency director and peer director scores.

What is interesting to me is the discrepancy in old and new MCAT scores between schools. UPenn for example has an old MCAT median of 38 and a new of 517. While WashU is still going strong at 521.
Well, I think the average MCAT is still lower on both ends, though. Goodness it would be awful if any school had an average MCAT of 521+.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if PD or peer scores had a significant change?
Also wondering this...especially with the pretty large drop from Hof, I am curious if PD surveys also increased for them?
:smack:

You guys are doing it wrong. As premeds, if yahoo created a career rankings article that placed physicians @ #25 and dental assistants as #6, are you all of a sudden gonna change your opinion of these professions and their desirability?

What you guys have to do is ask why you care about these rankings. Is it to say that you attended a top X school? If so, brace yourself for the possibility of dropping out of a particular bracket given the year to year fluctuations. Now, if you care about these rankings because of potential impact on residency placement, then I can assure you that IF med school status is taken into account, its the prestige/reputation of the medical school within medical circles that matters, NOT the collective opinion from news magazines.

So what goes into reputation? The historical product coming from these schools, the strength of associated residency programs, number of influential/famous faculty, longstanding established reputation within field, ground breaking research etc. I remember a few years back when Stanford was ranked #11 and Sinai had a similar ranking, and therefore premeds concluded that Stanford=Sinai! Well, the opinion of Stanford within our institution was the same when Stanford dropped out of the top 10 as it is today at #2. Sorry to break it to you, but our opinion has some influence on the rankings, not the other way around. Mayo didn't even participate in the rankings I believe when I was a student, yet we all know they have some of the best residency/fellowship programs in the country, and their med school is top notch.
 
:smack:

You guys are doing it wrong. As premeds, if yahoo created a career rankings article that placed physicians @ #25 and dental assistants as #6, are you all of a sudden gonna change your opinion of these professions and their desirability?

What you guys have to do is ask why you care about these rankings. Is it to say that you attended a top X school? If so, brace yourself for the possibility of dropping out of a particular bracket given the year to year fluctuations. Now, if you care about these rankings because of potential impact on residency placement, then I can assure you that IF med school status is taken into account, its the prestige/reputation of the medical school within medical circles that matters, NOT the collective opinion from news magazines.

So what goes into reputation? The historical product coming from these schools, the strength of associated residency programs, number of influential/famous faculty, longstanding established reputation within field, ground breaking research etc. I remember a few years back when Stanford was ranked #11 and Sinai had a similar ranking, and therefore premeds concluded that Stanford=Sinai! Well, the opinion of Stanford within our institution was the same when Stanford dropped out of the top 10 as it is today at #2. Sorry to break it to you, but our opinion has some influence on the rankings, not the other way around. Mayo didn't even participate in the rankings I believe when I was a student, yet we all know they have some of the best residency/fellowship programs in the country, and their med school is top notch.
Thanks for the reply but I think your misunderstanding. I thought PD score related to how highly residency directors viewed a particular program and that it had everything to do with academic reputation more or less. Is that not how that score was calculated?
 
Thanks for the reply but I think your misunderstanding. I thought PD score related to how highly residency directors viewed a particular program and that it had everything to do with academic reputation more or less. Is that not how that score was calculated?
Yeah it's a very straightforward survey where PDs are asked to rate programs on a 5-point scale (or mark that they are not familiar enough with a program to score it). Same deal for the peer scores.

There's not much fluctuation between years. For example this is last year, and it now looks like this for the PD first 20:

Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn
WashU, Stanford
Duke, Michigan, Columbia, UCLA
Cornell
Yale, Vandy, Northwestern
U Washington, Chicago, Pitt, Emory, Baylor
Mayo
 
Thanks for the reply but I think your misunderstanding. I thought PD score related to how highly residency directors viewed a particular program and that it had everything to do with academic reputation more or less. Is that not how that score was calculated?
yes that's how the survey is done. but I just wanted to caution people who think that the ranking fluctuations from magazines (there are more than just USNEWS by the way) has any direct influence, which is apparent by the stable scores year after year.
 
I can assure you that IF med school status is taken into account, its the prestige/reputation of the medical school within medical circles that matters, NOT the collective opinion from news magazines.

So what goes into reputation? The historical product coming from these schools, the strength of associated residency programs, number of influential/famous faculty, longstanding established reputation within field, ground breaking research etc.

...Mayo didn't even participate in the rankings I believe when I was a student, yet we all know they have some of the best residency/fellowship programs in the country, and their med school is top notch.

Speaking of Mayo, would you mind sharing any thoughts you have about their new Arizona campus? How do you think the first class of Mayo AZ graduates will be viewed when it comes to the match?

If the AZ campus is viewed as a new school there is no historical product, there are likely weaker residency programs compared to MN, less famous faculty and less research. Do you expect the first batch of students will be viewed as if they're coming from a brand new school (an unknown), will they be lumped in with the Mayo MN students, or be somewhere in between?
 
Yeah it's a very straightforward survey where PDs are asked to rate programs on a 5-point scale (or mark that they are not familiar enough with a program to score it). Same deal for the peer scores.

There's not much fluctuation between years. For example this is last year, and it now looks like this for the PD first 20:

Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn
WashU, Stanford
Duke, Michigan, Columbia, UCLA
Cornell
Yale, Vandy, Northwestern
U Washington, Chicago, Pitt, Emory, Baylor
Mayo
Yes, I figure they are more or less constant. But I figured that since Hofstra is so new and is currently developing the reputation. The next few years may show a climb in PD score (IIRC it was 2.4 last year), especially considering that it has a well-established residency already associated with it and has been attracting strong candidates typically.
 
Yes, I figure they are more or less constant. But I figured that since Hofstra is so new and is currently developing the reputation. The next few years may show a climb in PD score (IIRC it was 2.4 last year), especially considering that it has a well-established residency already associated with it and has been attracting strong candidates typically.
Hofstra was 2.5/2.5 and is now 2.6/2.5. Schools fluctuate tiny amounts like that between years, I wouldn't operate under the assumption it will trend up significantly at all over a few years , as far as choosing schools
 
Hofstra was 2.5/2.5 and is now 2.6/2.5. Schools fluctuate tiny amounts like that between years, I wouldn't operate under the assumption it will trend up significantly at all over a few years , as far as choosing schools
Thank you for its advice. What are its peer schools at 2.6?
 
Speaking of Mayo, would you mind sharing any thoughts you have about their new Arizona campus? How do you think the first class of Mayo AZ graduates will be viewed when it comes to the match?

If the AZ campus is viewed as a new school there is no historical product, there are likely weaker residency programs compared to MN, less famous faculty and less research. Do you expect the first batch of students will be viewed as if they're coming from a brand new school (an unknown), will they be lumped in with the Mayo MN students, or be somewhere in between?
This is my first time hearing about this. I imagine they will be viewed similarly, especially if they work with MN faculty (LOR, research, rotations etc).
 
This is my first time hearing about this. I imagine they will be viewed similarly, especially if they work with MN faculty (LOR, research, rotations etc).

Thank you! I had not thought of that - if I end up attending I will make it a priority to do as many rotations in MN as possible and try to make myself more of a "known quantity".
 
Yeah it's a very straightforward survey where PDs are asked to rate programs on a 5-point scale (or mark that they are not familiar enough with a program to score it). Same deal for the peer scores.

There's not much fluctuation between years. For example this is last year, and it now looks like this for the PD first 20:

Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn
WashU, Stanford
Duke, Michigan, Columbia, UCLA
Cornell
Yale, Vandy, Northwestern
U Washington, Chicago, Pitt, Emory, Baylor
Mayo
Do you know if historically there has been any significant shift upward/downward for specific schools in PD rankings for the top schools?
 
Do you know if historically there has been any significant shift upward/downward for specific schools in PD rankings for the top schools?
I've only looked at the last few years, and no nothing very significant. The 20 this year are the exact same as the 20 last year and I think the exact same 20 as the year before. Schools move up or down like 0.1-0.2 / 5 between years but overall it's very, very stable.