1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Usual programs with unfilled spots

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by noclib, Feb 14, 2007.

1. noclib

Hey group,

I'm seriously considering the option of scrambling for pediatrics in March. I didn't interview or even apply peds. However, I think it may be where I belong. For those with more experience, I'm interested to know which programs usually go unfilled.

Do you experts out there think it might be better to wait a year apply vs match into a so/so program. I have competitive scores/research etc. but decided peds late.

Thanks for the help.

2. blanche

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi Noclib--
    You could scramble into a program with unfilled spots, but you may also want to just call around right now. When programs lose a resident or two (which is common) they look to fill those extra spots, and may be able to convert a PGY-2 or PGY-3 to an intern spot for example. I wouldn't resign myself to taking what's available in the scramble w/o checking to see what's out there--you might be surprised. I'd call the top programs, or anywhere else you want to be.

3. EaglesPA

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that in order to be able to scramble you need to submit a match list. So just make sure to register with the nrmp and submit a "list" before the deadline if you are going to scramble.