Usual programs with unfilled spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noclib

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey group,

I'm seriously considering the option of scrambling for pediatrics in March. I didn't interview or even apply peds. However, I think it may be where I belong. For those with more experience, I'm interested to know which programs usually go unfilled.

Do you experts out there think it might be better to wait a year apply vs match into a so/so program. I have competitive scores/research etc. but decided peds late.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Noclib--
You could scramble into a program with unfilled spots, but you may also want to just call around right now. When programs lose a resident or two (which is common) they look to fill those extra spots, and may be able to convert a PGY-2 or PGY-3 to an intern spot for example. I wouldn't resign myself to taking what's available in the scramble w/o checking to see what's out there--you might be surprised. I'd call the top programs, or anywhere else you want to be.

I think that in order to be able to scramble you need to submit a match list. So just make sure to register with the nrmp and submit a "list" before the deadline if you are going to scramble.