USUHS Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have called about not receiving orders.

This is really strange. If you're a November, unconditional acceptee, non-prior, you should have your orders already (you're the easiest case).

Who are you communicating with, and what reasons are they giving your for the hold-up?

And on the issue of ODS: They admit students up until the last week of classes, who obviously wont go to ODS this summer. So they have to give some leeway on ODS timing. In any case, if you don't have your orders by now, you may be too late for ODS, as I'm sure they've filled the class (I think it starts in two weeks).

Members don't see this ad.

This is really strange. If you're a November, unconditional acceptee, non-prior, you should have your orders already (you're the easiest case).

Who are you communicating with, and what reasons are they giving your for the hold-up?

And on the issue of ODS: They admit students up until the last week of classes, who obviously wont go to ODS this summer. So they have to give some leeway on ODS timing. In any case, if you don't have your orders by now, you may be too late for ODS, as I'm sure they've filled the class (I think it starts in two weeks).

I read in a thread that some navy people did not get orders until 2 days before ODS last year. I have been talking to Rebecca and Raymond. I will have to figure this out monday because I am somewhat relying on being officially in the military on the 21st of June for insurance purposes.

Something strikes me as a little odd here.

If your orders to USUHS have you at your current rank (O-3), then you have to check in as an O-3. Then you would get full pay and BAH as an O-3 (in effect, you're just PCSing to a new command). After you check in, if you then recommission to an O-1, and once your commissioning paperwork gets to PERS, then they'll revert your record and pay back to that of an O-1 (with 'Save Pay', of course).

This seems messy.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get orders as an O-1, recommission before showing up, and check into USUHS as an O-1?

Why are you complaining about them PCSing us at O3 thats about a grand extra in DLA.

I'm already at Bethesda heres what I've been told. Take care of your oath on your own before showing up, the effective date will be your report date. You report as an O1.

I'm sure there will be problems maintaing our pay for the first couple months DoD sucks at keeping pay straight.

You can either keep your kids records at the USUHS clinic or at NNMC and be seen by there peds department its up to you. We keep ours at NNMC now but its less convenient to get in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you complaining about them PCSing us at O3 thats about a grand extra in DLA.

oh I'm not, it just sounds too good to be true. I'm just trying to figure out what the norm is, for re-commissioning, checking in, getting our pay and records straight . . . just so if something strays from the norm, we can identify a problem. I'm sure it'll all work out; after all, we're certainly not the first USUHS class! But I just don't want there to be any severe admin/pay problems that bleed into the 2 or 3rd month of the quarter, when we're all studying like crazy. [I gotta say, the fact that some people on here were accepted long ago and still haven't gotten orders concerns me about my own admin. Ahh hell, it's a naval command after all, we'll just fly by the seat of our pants!]

I'm sure there will be problems maintaing our pay for the first couple months DoD sucks at keeping pay straight.
I really hope not. Nobody wants to fighting with pay clerks in October/November when we're neck deep in anatomy (no punn intended)

You can either keep your kids records at the USUHS clinic or at NNMC and be seen by there peds department its up to you. We keep ours at NNMC now but its less convenient to get in there.

Really, I didn't know the USUHS clinic offered full Peds services. I suppose that'll do. Not looking for anything complicated, just well baby vists and immuno shots. If they can manage that, that would be very convenient.

oh I'm not, it just sounds too good to be true. I'm just trying to figure out what the norm is, for re-commissioning, checking in, getting our pay and records straight . . . just so if something strays from the norm, we can identify a problem. I'm sure it'll all work out; after all, we're certainly not the first USUHS class! But I just don't want there to be any severe admin/pay problems that bleed into the 2 or 3rd month of the quarter, when we're all studying like crazy. [I gotta say, the fact that some people on here were accepted long ago and still haven't gotten orders concerns me about my own admin. Ahh hell, it's a naval command after all, we'll just fly by the seat of our pants!]

I really hope not. Nobody wants to fighting with pay clerks in October/November when we're neck deep in anatomy (no punn intended)

Really, I didn't know the USUHS clinic offered full Peds services. I suppose that'll do. Not looking for anything complicated, just well baby vists and immuno shots. If they can manage that, that would be very convenient.

No way we can know for sure til we see what happens in August. From what the Army and USUHS have told me this is how they want to handle it. Paying a little more money is better than dealing with a break in service apparently. I suppose they could try to cut O1 orders and allow you to use them while still an O3 to set up everything but I don't see that ever meshing with the personnel and finance systems. Its less of a headache this way for us no question.

I hope that pay is straight too, I just have a bad feeling about resigning then recommissioning as an O1 but being paid as an O3, it seems like too many places for a finance clerk at DFAS to make a mistake.

I've never used the USUHS clinic I've only heard that they can take care of you. Immunizations are a walk in clinic at NNMC, you take your record with you and usually get your next round of shots within 15-20 minutes. Its actually a great system.

I read in a thread that some navy people did not get orders until 2 days before ODS last year. I have been talking to Rebecca and Raymond. I will have to figure this out monday because I am somewhat relying on being officially in the military on the 21st of June for insurance purposes.

I heard it was only 1 day before. They ended up swearing in at ODS on day 3 or something, because they couldn't do it beforehand.

I've been calling Rebecca on a biweekly basis for a couple of weeks to try and get things straight about orders. I have a family friend who wants to do my swearing in, but he leaves the country June 12, so I'm trying to get the paperwork so I can swear in on June 10. My family friend knows a Master Chief at USUHS and contacted him to see if he could "shake my documents lose" :oops: So far he hasn't heard anything, but he did say that they'll fedex it when they do get them to try and get them to me in time. Rebecca said a couple of weeks ago that the scroll with my name has come back, so I guess I'm just waiting on them to cut the orders.

I have been wondering this too. Can we do the LT -> ENS conversion before we show up, or does it have to be the day of reporting? It would be nice for a military family member to "re-commission" me as an ENS, but it would have to be a couple weeks before I show up. Coastie, did this come up at all in your conversation w/ the Company Commander?

Yes it did come up. He told me that the last day anyone could be above an O-1 was on the Wednesday that we report (Navy). He (or the new CC, she) will handle the recommissioning, if you have not alread had it done. I encourage you to engage with your respective service's CCs early to get your exact time line worked out. Of course, all of this is dependant on what your orders say. If they tell you to report as an O-1, then either handle it before reporting or work with the personnel command to get your orders ammended.

On a side note: I just had my Harley delivered today. Any other riders in the class?

I still haven't received orders and have not heard anything about commissioning either. I'm getting nervous. I'm army, non-prior. Anyone else in my shoes or have I missed something that I was supposed to do/have done? No luck speaking with Rebecca.

I'm army non-prior and I filled out a lot of paperwork that was sent to Ms. Taylor before I got my orders. I currently have both sets of orders (to OBLC and to USUHS).

Ms. Taylor is also the one who gets our signed oath of office so I guess you should email her for info on paperwork you may be missing.

I called Rebecca today and she wasn't surprised that I have not received orders. She said the Navy people that have received them are prior service. I haven't talked to many other non-prior Navy people on this forum other than silver horse so hopefully everything is on track.

hey everyone...hopefully someone on here can give me some help....i just got a call from usuhs offering acceptance, but just signed an hpsp scholarship two weeks ago....usuhs has been my number one since the beg. of the med school search and i was wondering if there is any way of transfering out of hpsp into usuhs.....if so, can someone give me some advice of how to etc. I assume I need to speak to my recruiter and figure something out. Any help would be great! Thanks.

hey everyone...hopefully someone on here can give me some help....i just got a call from usuhs offering acceptance, but just signed an hpsp scholarship two weeks ago....usuhs has been my number one since the beg. of the med school search and i was wondering if there is any way of transfering out of hpsp into usuhs.....if so, can someone give me some advice of how to etc. I assume I need to speak to my recruiter and figure something out. Any help would be great! Thanks.

yeah talk to your recruiter. tell him/her you want to bail on hpsp and whatever school you were going to use if for. He should help you out. Technically, if no money has been exchanged, I don't think you're obliged to hpsp.

yeah talk to your recruiter. tell him/her you want to bail on hpsp and whatever school you were going to use if for. He should help you out. Technically, if no money has been exchanged, I don't think you're obliged to hpsp.

thanks for the info. i was thinking along those lines as well because that is how it worked in rotc....i hope the recruiter wont be pissed about all of this because hes been working on my packet for like 6 months, but i need to what i think would be the best in the long run....if anyone else has seen something like this and can offer advice that would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)

You just got a call today? What service?

Can somebody please post or send me a packing list for OBC? I'm army, leaving this Sunday for OBC, but have yet to receive this info and don't want to struggle getting it even more last minute that I am already. Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting/seeing you all there.

Can somebody please post or send me a packing list for OBC? I'm army, leaving this Sunday for OBC, but have yet to receive this info and don't want to struggle getting it even more last minute that I am already. Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting/seeing you all there.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/ Scroll to the bottom and you will see a HPSP-USUHS section that has the packing list and some other info. If this link does not work, then type OBLC into google and it will be the first hit. Essentially you need the ACU top and bottom, boots, socks, beret, field cap, and PT gear. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other problems.

You just got a call today? What service?

Yeah. I got a call for an Army slot which I planned on going anyway....I'm supposedly the first person taken off of the alternate list. Prob. will not be able to make it to OBC this summer unfortunately because I planned on going after my first year through HPSP.

Question,
I recently heard that it might be good to drive to ODS if possible for financial benefits from the Navy. Can someone explain to me how this works? Do they just reimburse you for the gas or something else? If I fly, I know that the ticket will be reimbursed but how does this work for driving? Thanks

I also just got a call yesterday offering an army spot.
I am non-prior and am currently doing research at a uni in California.

There is no way I can go to OBC in 4 days given my research employment, and so I am trying to make a big decision about whether to join you all later in the summer or whether to apply again for the class of 2014.

Advice?

I also just got a call yesterday offering an army spot.
I am non-prior and am currently doing research at a uni in California.

There is no way I can go to OBC in 4 days given my research employment, and so I am trying to make a big decision about whether to join you all later in the summer or whether to apply again for the class of 2014.

Advice?

Congrats! Glad to see movement off of the Army alt list. Ask USUHS admissions/Army Company Commander if you can delay OBC, to next summer . . . And do us a favor and post back here their response, as I'm sure there'll be many like you in this situation, it's getting late in the game. I think they should allow that, but who knows . . .

as fas as applying for c/o 2014 , I don't think that'd be a good idea. USUHS is becoming very popular! The next app cylce could be even more competitive. If you have the acceptance now--unless you're really tied to your research job, either legally or emotionally--I'd take it and run with it!

Question,
I recently heard that it might be good to drive to ODS if possible for financial benefits from the Navy. Can someone explain to me how this works? Do they just reimburse you for the gas or something else? If I fly, I know that the ticket will be reimbursed but how does this work for driving? Thanks

Yeah, that's true, it is more lucrative to drive (they pay your for mileage, and per diem for your days of travel. They assume you can only drive 350 miles a day, which of course you can drive more.) Check out the USUHS thread, I posted some links recently about per diem, mileage. You can do the math yourself.

Just make sure your car can handle the commute. Remember it's not just the number of miles you put on it, but also the rate of that mileage increase. Putting 3K on a old nissan in 5 days is sure to kill the transmission, and get you stuck in the NY Bronx looking for a mechanic on a Sunday morning!

I feel like Indiana Jones sliding under the closing door.

I just got accepted for a Navy spot! Now to figure out all this pesky stuff like housing and moving and such. (fortunately I don't need to be in Maryland till August because of the whole NROTC thing)

I feel like Indiana Jones sliding under the closing door.

I just got accepted for a Navy spot! Now to figure out all this pesky stuff like housing and moving and such. (fortunately I don't need to be in Maryland till August because of the whole NROTC thing)

Congrats!! I haven't even sent in all of my applications for apartments yet, so you're not far behind (well, far behind me at least). I still need to find a roommate - I had one, then he decided not to go to USUHS :(

An update: I got a call from Rebecca today saying that my paperwork just reached her desk. She's overnighting the commissioning paperwork to me so I'll get it tomorrow and can get commissioned Thursday before my family friend leaves the country (just barely in time haha :p). She said a while ago that orders will come via email, so I'm guessing I'll get those soon. Yay!

Congrats!! I haven't even sent in all of my applications for apartments yet, so you're not far behind (well, far behind me at least). I still need to find a roommate - I had one, then he decided not to go to USUHS :(
Oh yeah, a roommate would probably be helpful in searching for housing. How do most people go about that?

*so much to do but I'm too happy to care*

Oh yeah, a roommate would probably be helpful in searching for housing. How do most people go about that?

If have not already you should join the USUHS 2013 facebook group. People have posted about available housing as recently as of today. Congrats on the acceptance.

Hey everyone,

I got a call this past Friday for a spot via the Air Force. I accepted and I'm way excited for USUHS and to move back east. (I'm from MD). I'm non-prior and so have lots of questions about Air Force, OTS, etc.. any others going through Air Force on here?

I've found people on facebook as UTBME86 suggested - that's where I found the one guy that I would have roomed with if he had chosen USUHS. I know there's a couple of girls looking for a third (although, I think they'll only live with another girl, and I don't remember/know what gender you are). I definitely need a roommate - I'm applying for a 2 bedroom apartment within a mile of the school because I don't want to live alone, but haven't found someone to take the other room yet. Most of the apartments have a 30 day notice, so I won't get an apartment until after I start training, but I'm going to giving my parents directions and letting the managers coordinate with them while I'm running around in Newport :oops:

I've found people on facebook as UTBME86 suggested - that's where I found the one guy that I would have roomed with if he had chosen USUHS. I know there's a couple of girls looking for a third (although, I think they'll only live with another girl, and I don't remember/know what gender you are). I definitely need a roommate - I'm applying for a 2 bedroom apartment within a mile of the school because I don't want to live alone, but haven't found someone to take the other room yet. Most of the apartments have a 30 day notice, so I won't get an apartment until after I start training, but I'm going to giving my parents directions and letting the managers coordinate with them while I'm running around in Newport :oops:

Yeah I just posted on the group. (I'm male) It looks like there are a few poeple looking for roommates. Are you on the facebook group?

I have just decided to rent an apartment instead of buying.. does anyone know of a good place that is close to school, allows dogs, and has a good elementary school?

I have just decided to rent an apartment instead of buying.. does anyone know of a good place that is close to school, allows dogs, and has a good elementary school?

As far as schools go, I've heard most are pretty good in the Montgomery County area. So then it a question of how close to campus do you want to live, and how much are you willing to pay, etc

BTW, if you have kids/pet, for possibly the same amount of money, you might be able to rent a house (more space, a backyard). Check out http://www.militarybyowner.com/ lotta folks renting out their places.

If anybody else is getting nervous about your Navy orders, you're not alone. 10 days and counting and I still don't have mine. It kinda sucks for my wife because she's going to have to set everything up on her own while I'm off in Newport.

If people are looking for apartments that are close to school, I just went back to DC to look and found an AWESOME place pretty close to the White Flint Metro (same line as USUHS). It's the Monterey Apartments. They're running a 3 months free rent, 6 month free utilities, and 13 month free parking special. They prorate the savings over a 13 month lease so for a 2br/1bath 1021 sq ft apartment, I'm paying $1450/mo plus the free utilities and parking. I don't know about schools nearby because I don't have to worry about kids yet. The place was just totally renovated and has all kinds of awesome amenities.

It has become apparent to me after PMing with a couple other non-priors that the Navy is a little slower with orders. Sucks, but oh well.

Hey all! Non-prior here who just got her orders via email from LCDR Bristol :oops:

Haven't had a chance to look at them, and I'm traveling today, but if you have questions, I'd be happy to try my best to answer them. I did notice that if you're going to ODS, you have to be there no later than 1100 on June 21. Guess that means a red eye flight for those of us from the sunnier side of the country. :p

It has become apparent to me after PMing with a couple other non-priors that the Navy is a little slower with orders. Sucks, but oh well.

You're in the Navy now. Hurry up and wait should be your mantra. It's like that game "red light green light" that kids play. Work work work... hang on do nothing... ok work work work.

Hey all! Non-prior here who just got her orders via email from LCDR Bristol :oops:

Haven't had a chance to look at them, and I'm traveling today, but if you have questions, I'd be happy to try my best to answer them. I did notice that if you're going to ODS, you have to be there no later than 1100 on June 21. Guess that means a red eye flight for those of us from the sunnier side of the country. :p

:wow:
Finally! I heard they would be coming any day now so its nice to know that some of us are receiving them. Hopefully I will get mine soon. I don't know about anyone else but I need them in order to get my stuff packed up.

Just got my orders! Rebecca said my commissioning documents would be here on Monday. Man this is a lot to figure out in a week. At least the travel people sent me my itinerary so I know when I'm leaving. Anybody else from San Diego on United at 8am on the 20th?

I think this was discussed earlier but has anyone heard an update on what the Navy is going to be wearing next year? If it is khaki every day I need to buy another set of khakis.

Just got my orders! Rebecca said my commissioning documents would be here on Monday. Man this is a lot to figure out in a week. At least the travel people sent me my itinerary so I know when I'm leaving. Anybody else from San Diego on United at 8am on the 20th?

Who do you contact to set up the flight? I need to do that! :p

Army - Do we need to take our dress blues (class A uniform) to OBLC at Ft Sam?

Hey, I saw on here that you are looking around on this site to if anyone has places open for housing or wants to get a place. Let me know if you are interested or if anyone else out there is interested that would be great as well! (I'm male btw)

Hey everyone,

I got a call this past Friday for a spot via the Air Force. I accepted and I'm way excited for USUHS and to move back east. (I'm from MD). I'm non-prior and so have lots of questions about Air Force, OTS, etc.. any others going through Air Force on here?

I'm also a non-prior who was accepted into the Air Force. What are you doing to prepare for OTS? I'm kinda nervous about it and moving to Maryland from California.

Has anyone else noticed that the pay information under the Life in Uniform tab for prior-service guys/gals is totally wrong? It mentions nothing about Save Pay; instead it talks about the old system where you receive O-1 pay plus time in service. We get Save Pay, right?

At this link:
http://www.usuhs.mil/somstudents/lifeatusu.html

it sais:
Also, pay for prior service officers may differ as a result of Section 524 of the 2008 NDAA "Save Pay" Provision.

Talked to Rebecca, she said to bring your DD214 and Point Capture from BOL (that shows credible years of service) , and that should suffice to establish your Save Pay.

I dont understand this part:

A) Students with prior military service will receive a base pay at the O-1 pay grade according to years of creditable service, up to three years.

Officer with two years or less $2,655.30
Prior service officer with over two years $2,763.60
Prior service officer with over three years $3,340.50

Why is there a distinction between > 2 and >3 years? The mil pay table is always grouped by even years.

Anyway, whatever our base pay is . . .the Save Pay amount should make our sum total = prior rank and years of service.

The whole Save Pay thing is still kinda new at USUHS, hopefully they have an admin clerk that knows how to work it all.

Recently got plucked off the alt list. Wildly confused...

For starters, do we absolutely need to go through the Traffic Management Office to find housing? I'm just going to try to find a place this week and have a move-in date for early August, after COT. Will they still reimburse me even though I got my orders over a month before then? I know I should just contact them and ask but it's past business hours and this is one item on my checklist of thousands.

Recently got plucked off the alt list. Wildly confused...

For starters, do we absolutely need to go through the Traffic Management Office to find housing? I'm just going to try to find a place this week and have a move-in date for early August, after COT. Will they still reimburse me even though I got my orders over a month before then? I know I should just contact them and ask but it's past business hours and this is one item on my checklist of thousands.

I'm not sure what you mean about reimbursing. For housing you are allowed to just find a place in town and then pay for it with your housing allowance.

I'm not sure what you mean about reimbursing. For housing you are allowed to just find a place in town and then pay for it with your housing allowance.

Whoops I mean for relocation. Moving my junk.

Yes, you must go through the TMO if you want any reimbursement. They have contracts with carriers and you need to use those if you want coverage. There are times when orders come so quickly that you cannot do this yourself. Then you need to find a trusted relative or friend and give the power of attorney to do this for you.

If you just have a car load of junk, then you can do it yourself.