USUHS Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey gang, got a quick question about orders;

Have any of you (particularly those currently on active duty) rec'd your orders yet for USUHS?

If so, does it say, "Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS)" anywhere on them?

or,

Does it say something like, "Entry into the service" or "First Duty station" (some verbage like that)???

[I'm just trying to figure out if one gets official PCS orders to USU, which would make him/her eligible for the housing assistance program.]

Yeah my orders are PCS as well, with 27JUL NET and 04AUG NLT report dates. I've looked into using the HAP for my condo, but I've heard that, as active duty on PCS orders, we would only be eligible for the re-payment option, and they would only cover 90% of the value. That still leaves me > $20,000 in the hole, so I am definitely going to try to rent my place out instead of sell.

BREAK

Does anyone know how commissioning from active duty works? I.e. do I just report as a LT and then *poof*, I'm an ENS again? Should I show up wearing O-3 insignia or O-1 insignia? What if I wear one gold bar and one LT track, would that work?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah my orders are PCS as well, with 27JUL NET and 04AUG NLT report dates. I've looked into using the HAP for my condo, but I've heard that, as active duty on PCS orders, we would only be eligible for the re-payment option, and they would only cover 90% of the value. That still leaves me > $20,000 in the hole, so I am definitely going to try to rent my place out instead of sell.

BREAK

Does anyone know how commissioning from active duty works? I.e. do I just report as a LT and then *poof*, I'm an ENS again? Should I show up wearing O-3 insignia or O-1 insignia? What if I wear one gold bar and one LT track, would that work?

I'm in the same situation as you, you pick someone to do your commission that becomes effective 3/4 Aug whatever your resignation letter states and then show up as an O-1. At least thats what Rebecca told me this morning.

I'm in the same situation as you, you pick someone to do your commission that becomes effective 3/4 Aug whatever your resignation letter states and then show up as an O-1. At least thats what Rebecca told me this morning.

Ok, thanks for the info guys. Yeah this stinkin housing market is quite a predicament! I don't know if that 90% rules is solid, and I think a lot of people are contesting the July-1-2006 rule. We're just not going to know anything until they come out w/ official guidance for the program. Hopefully they'll do so sometime this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thanks for the info guys. Yeah this stinkin housing market is quite a predicament! I don't know if that 90% rules is solid, and I think a lot of people are contesting the July-1-2006 rule. We're just not going to know anything until they come out w/ official guidance for the program. Hopefully they'll do so sometime this year!

belay my last, the 90% rule is solid. HAP guidance is out:

http://hap.usace.army.mil/Documents/DOD_Guidance.pdf

I have just withdrawn my acceptance to the Army Med Corps. I hope this gives one of you a chance to get in! Good luck to all!

mslall,

you got your orders?!?!?! are you prior or non-prior? and what branch?

non-prior, army; via snail-mail

They're only to Bethesda, nothing to San Antonio, or anything about commissioning. I mean, maybe they're not actually orders, but the line "you are ordered to active duty in the grade of 2LT......" seem to contradict that

They're only to Bethesda, nothing to San Antonio, or anything about commissioning. I mean, maybe they're not actually orders, but the line "you are ordered to active duty in the grade of 2LT......" seem to contradict that

Yeah, I will let you know if i get anything different. Might be worth calling up Ms. Taylor and asking her about it. I was under the impression we should be getting all the paperwork at one time.

Yeah, I got them on Saturday actually. Only to Bethesda, but nothing to OBLC. I'm also non-prior and army. I'm pretty sure they are orders, but maybe there is another set of orders for San Antonio, although at the bottom there is a June 14, 2009 date, but no mention of San Antonio itself, so who knows.

I'm gunna call Monday to see what the deal is.

Yeah, I got them on Saturday actually. Only to Bethesda, but nothing to OBLC. I'm also non-prior and army. I'm pretty sure they are orders, but maybe there is another set of orders for San Antonio, although at the bottom there is a June 14, 2009 date, but no mention of San Antonio itself, so who knows.

I'm gunna call Monday to see what the deal is.

Often times the army cuts 1610 orders as a subline on your official PCS orders rather than waste time later on, this is especially true for initial entrants attending OBC. My orders had a line on the second page detailing TDY to OBC when I went through.

Has anyone going Navy received their orders yet, or even heard anything from the Navy? I got the unconditional acceptance back in December so I've been trying to wait patiently.
I'm driving cross-country from California (currently in Nebraska), and I'm having my mail forwarded to Alexandria. I just hope I'm not missing out on anything.

Thanks.

Has anyone going Navy received their orders yet, or even heard anything from the Navy? I got the unconditional acceptance back in December so I've been trying to wait patiently.
I'm driving cross-country from California (currently in Nebraska), and I'm having my mail forwarded to Alexandria. I just hope I'm not missing out on anything.

Thanks.

I haven't gotten anything yet. An email, welcome letter last Friday, but I don't think that was just Navy and it had nothing to do with orders. Last time I talked with Rebecca she said she was still waiting on approval for us to oath.

I'm just trying to figure out the order of everything. One person (who was non-prior going into the AF) said we oath, then get orders. Another, in the army, said they won't be able to oath until they get orders. Anyone know which one the Navy follows? I guess I should try talking to Rebecca again and get it all straight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to throw this out there: I'm Army ROTC and have not yet received orders. I just sent in my appointment memo and DA-71 to Ms. Taylor today; I'm not sure if that affects anything.

I'm pretty sure I got my orders in the mail today. It was a single piece of paper that said "orders" in the top left corner and stated stuff about my rank and reporting to USUHS. I'm new to this so I may be wrong but Navy friend double checked the paper and confirmed that they're my orders. Loosk like stuff is finally moving along.

Hey everyone, got accepted off the waitlist and I only have a week to decide. I am pretty sure I'm going to take it though. I am a former Sgt in the USMC. I have a few questions that have probably already been answered here, but I am on abit of a time crunch, so hopefully you all cna help me out.

Does anyone have the site address (if there is one) that outlines the upcoming schedule (OBC, class start date, etc.)? I am trying to figure out when will be the best time to move my fiancee up. Will it be possible between OBC and the beginning of class?

If I am not married, will I recieve BAH while in OBC?

Does anyone have a link to the OBC content? Like, do they get weekends off or time to make phone calls? This sounds silly coming from the Marines, but I have heard that some sevices allow these things.

Thanks for any help you can give, I look forward to seeing you all in June. I had not been expecting to get a call from USU this late, so I have a month to get my ass in shape.

Hey everyone, got accepted off the waitlist and I only have a week to decide. I am pretty sure I'm going to take it though. I am a former Sgt in the USMC. I have a few questions that have probably already been answered here, but I am on abit of a time crunch, so hopefully you all cna help me out.

Does anyone have the site address (if there is one) that outlines the upcoming schedule (OBC, class start date, etc.)? I am trying to figure out when will be the best time to move my fiancee up. Will it be possible between OBC and the beginning of class?

If I am not married, will I recieve BAH while in OBC?

Does anyone have a link to the OBC content? Like, do they get weekends off or time to make phone calls? This sounds silly coming from the Marines, but I have heard that some sevices allow these things.

Thanks for any help you can give, I look forward to seeing you all in June. I had not been expecting to get a call from USU this late, so I have a month to get my ass in shape.

should be time to move between OBC and school. OBC is from June 14th-July 27th. Report date for the army is august 3. I dont think we'll be getting BAH this summer at OBC if you dont have dependents.

PM your email address and i'll forward you a copy of the tentative OBC schedule. Its a schedule for everyday. We stay in the BOQ and have nights/weekends off when we're not in the field.

Has anyone who requested a Statement of Service from Ms. Patterson recieved one yet?

Has anyone who requested a Statement of Service from Ms. Patterson recieved one yet?

I just received mine this afternoon. She had to type our name and information into them, so it may take a while to get them all out if a lot of people asked.

I just received mine this afternoon. She had to type our name and information into them, so it may take a while to get them all out if a lot of people asked.

Thanks. Mine arrived literally 2 minutes after my post, ha ha. :rolleyes:

Alright I'm in! Got the call today from Dr. C , at around 12pm EST. See you all in 8 weeks!

[BTW, we should have some sort of 'SDN sponsored USUHS c/o 2013 pre-orientation happy hour', in August sometime once everyone has settled in.]

Congrats. That is great news and about time. I am down for a happy hour in August. I feel there are going to be a couple of those before school starts. Again congrats

Alright I'm in! Got the call today from Dr. C , at around 12pm EST. See you all in 8 weeks!

[BTW, we should have some sort of 'SDN sponsored USUHS c/o 2013 pre-orientation happy hour', in August sometime once everyone has settled in.]

Thats great! Glad to hear there is at least some movement still happening.

Congrats man. I know it must of been hell waiting, but it doesn't matter any more! See you in August.

Congrats man. I know it must of been hell waiting, but it doesn't matter any more! See you in August.

Yeah, I'm very thankful for it!

Navy priors, have you already rec'd your orders? (I got word from Rebecca that LCDR Bristol is preparing them . . .but I thought some of you already rec'd them, true?)

Yeah, I'm very thankful for it!

Navy priors, have you already rec'd your orders? (I got word from Rebecca that LCDR Bristol is preparing them . . .but I thought some of you already rec'd them, true?)

Congrats man, nice to have that settled now you just have to figure out what to do with your house. Let me know if you need any help finding a place here. See you in a few months.

Anyone going from active duty enlisted to OBC have orders yet? If you do, do they say TDY in route, or are the OBC orders separate from the PCS orders?

Congrats! :D I'm always up for happy hour :p

What's the uniform situ at USUHS nowadays??? (particularly wrt Navy). I know they wore khakis a few days of the week, and then BDUs a couple days, still the case?
Well, I know that Army wears Class B's on Thursdays and ACU's the rest of the week. So my guess is that Navy wears khakis on Thursdays and BDU's the rest of the week.

What's the uniform situ at USUHS nowadays??? (particularly wrt Navy). I know they wore khakis a few days of the week, and then BDUs a couple days, still the case?

From what I understand, you have to wear khakis on thursdays, bdus on fridays, but monday - wednesday is either khakis or bdus, your choice.

From what I understand, you have to wear khakis on thursdays, bdus on fridays, but monday - wednesday is either khakis or bdus, your choice.

Navy is still wearing old-school woodland cammo BDUs, right? I e-mailed the USUHS Navy company commander, and he confirmed that the roll-out for the new "Street Fighter" cammies isn't until 2010.

Navy is still wearing old-school woodland cammo BDUs, right? I e-mailed the USUHS Navy company commander, and he confirmed that the roll-out for the new "Street Fighter" cammies isn't until 2010.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago they were in woodlands.

LOL how confusing. So M-W, some of us are running around in khakis, others in BDUs? Now that's hardly uniform! Oh well I guess we'll get a better idea of the situ when we check in on 8/3. Orientation starts when, 8/17, 8/24 ? That should give us plenty of time to get uniforms (I need new khakis, and my BDUs are in an abandoned carboard box, left behind 5 apartments ago!)

LOL how confusing. So M-W, some of us are running around in khakis, others in BDUs? Now that's hardly uniform! Oh well I guess we'll get a better idea of the situ when we check in on 8/3. Orientation starts when, 8/17, 8/24 ? That should give us plenty of time to get uniforms (I need new khakis, and my BDUs are in an abandoned carboard box, left behind 5 apartments ago!)

Instead of a welcome pack this year, they are supposed to be putting info on the website. The info is supposed to tell us what we need to wear and the whole schedule for the first couple weeks.

I'm pretty sure orientation starts the 17th (on or about). Actual classes start the 24th.

So.....How many navy non-priors out there are still waiting on orders?

I still haven't received orders and have not heard anything about commissioning either. I'm getting nervous. I'm army, non-prior. Anyone else in my shoes or have I missed something that I was supposed to do/have done? No luck speaking with Rebecca.

Really? Don't you need them soon to go to ODS?

Have you guys rec'd your 'unconditional' letter yet? If not, that may be holding things up. Call Lenora in admissions and make sure she has all of your paperwork (she was missing something for me, even though it was sitting in her inbox!)

I met with Rebecca and both the incoming and out going Navy Company Commander on Tuesday. Here is where we stand (at least as far as Navy is concerned):

Orders: To commission, your name has to be on a "scroll" approved by the Sec. of the Navy. They do these scrolls in batches. All people currently holding acceptances have been approved, except for 6 persons. Once your name is on the approved scroll, BUPERS will cut orders and create the commissioning documents and then send them to Rebecca. This can take a few weeks. Rebecca will then send them out via snail mail.

Uniforms: The above info is correct on what students currently wear. However, the CC is seeking a waiver for USU students to wear the NWU before the Capitol Area's Spring 2010 roll out, so the new students do not have to buy the Woodland BDUs. There are 3 potential outcomes, and each seemed to have an equal chance. 1) We wear the NWU 4 days a week and khaki 1 day a week, 2) We wear the BDUs 4 days a week and khaki 1 day week, 3) We wear khaki 5 days a week until spring 2010 and then option 1.

Reporting: Go by what you orders state, but Navy will be reporting on Wednesday, Aug 5. Report in Summer Whites. We will then have Thursday and Friday off. The next Monday, Aug 10, we meet as a Brigade and are there all day. That week will be military in processing admin stuff (diagnostic PRT, parking decals, security clearance, spouse's club orientation, etc.) We should have a bit of free time as well for personal issues (HHG delivery, finding daycare, etc). The next Monday, Aug 17, we be in academic orientation week. We are issued books, microscopes, lockers, etc). We MAY have some free time that week. Classes start the following Monday, Aug 24.

Thanks Coastie, great info . . .I have some more questions to throw into the discussion, especially pertaining to us priors:

Once your name is on the approved scroll, BUPERS will cut orders and create the commissioning documents and then send them to Rebecca. This can take a few weeks. Rebecca will then send them out via snail mail.

(I think mcali and I discussed this somewhere), So when we check in, we check in as LT's, and then (sometime that week at USUHS) we'll be sworn in as Ensigns? Or should we take the oath prior to arrival?

3) We wear khaki 5 days a week until spring 2010 and then option 1.
My vote is for option 3. Makes most sense. (I'd bet to procedure for getting a waiver is more trouble than it's worth). We all have khakis, makes sense to just wear them for another 8 months until the official rollout.

Reporting: Go by what you orders state, but Navy will be reporting on Wednesday, Aug 5.

For once I'd like to check into a command and get my pay straight from day one. So when we check into PSD (at the hospital I assume), what do we have to turn in for 'Save Pay' purposes? (I assume a prior LES, showing the last PEBD would suffice . . .maybe also our Point Caputre from BUPERS, which shows years-of-qualifying service?).

Also, for your folks with kids, do you know if we're eligible for Peds services at the hospital? (I'd imagine we are, being stationed there and all . . . )

Won't people who attend ODS before USUHS have to purchase BDU's anyway?

No, doubt it. You'll probably be in civis for the first two days, then Navy pt gear for a couple weeks, then khakis (once they have them tailored and ready). They don't do BDUs b/c people are ultimately headed to various commands, where BDUs are or aren't needed, may need the woodlands, may need the desert ones . . , maybe both, maybe the NWUs. So its just easier for you to get the right uniform you need after ODS. But no matter what, everyone needs shore khakis (so they go ahead and issue you them there).

Really? Don't you need them soon to go to ODS?

Have you guys rec'd your 'unconditional' letter yet? If not, that may be holding things up. Call Lenora in admissions and make sure she has all of your paperwork (she was missing something for me, even though it was sitting in her inbox!)

I rec'd my condition on Oct. 15th and my unconditional sometime in November I think. I'm starting to feel slightly panicked since my wife is due any day and I am not exactly sure whats going on. Oh well. What happens if you don't get scrolled before ODS?

I rec'd my condition on Oct. 15th and my unconditional sometime in November I think. I'm starting to feel slightly panicked since my wife is due any day and I am not exactly sure whats going on. Oh well. What happens if you don't get scrolled before ODS?

That's really strange, you got your unconditional way back then, and you still don't have your orders? I'd think you'd be one of the first to get them. Might want to call and inquire about that. Maybe you're just on the magic list waiting for SECNAV approval.

Anyway, your priorit should be your wife/baby! Good luck, it's fun times. In fact, if I were you, I'd hope to NOT go to ODS this summer. I'm sure your wife could use your help with the newborn and in arranging your move.

I don't think missing ODS is a huge deal; I think they'll allow you to go next summer after MSI (while all the other non-priors are doing their military boondoogle). You should probably inquire about that as well.

(I think mcali and I discussed this somewhere), So when we check in, we check in as LT's, and then (sometime that week at USUHS) we'll be sworn in as Ensigns? Or should we take the oath prior to arrival?

I have been wondering this too. Can we do the LT -> ENS conversion before we show up, or does it have to be the day of reporting? It would be nice for a military family member to "re-commission" me as an ENS, but it would have to be a couple weeks before I show up. Coastie, did this come up at all in your conversation w/ the Company Commander?

Does anyone know how commissioning from active duty works? I.e. do I just report as a LT and then *poof*, I'm an ENS again?

Something strikes me as a little odd here.

If your orders to USUHS have you at your current rank (O-3), then you have to check in as an O-3. Then you would get full pay and BAH as an O-3 (in effect, you're just PCSing to a new command). After you check in, if you then recommission to an O-1, and once your commissioning paperwork gets to PERS, then they'll revert your record and pay back to that of an O-1 (with 'Save Pay', of course).

This seems messy.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get orders as an O-1, recommission before showing up, and check into USUHS as an O-1?

That's really strange, you got your unconditional way back then, and you still don't have your orders? I'd think you'd be one of the first to get them. Might want to call and inquire about that. Maybe you're just on the magic list waiting for SECNAV approval.

Anyway, your priorit should be your wife/baby! Good luck, it's fun times. In fact, if I were you, I'd hope to NOT go to ODS this summer. I'm sure your wife could use your help with the newborn and in arranging your move.

I don't think missing ODS is a huge deal; I think they'll allow you to go next summer after MSI (while all the other non-priors are doing their military boondoogle). You should probably inquire about that as well.

I have called about not receiving orders. I have inquired about missing ODS as well, and was told it is not an option even if her due date would have fallen right in the middle. I am not so much anxious about not having the orders specifically, but rather that I am not able to make arrangements for the rest of my family until I have them. If I don't hear anything by Monday I will be back on the horn trying to figure things out. I'm open to any advice to get things rolling.