USUHS Clinical Psychology 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishfulthinking89

Reaction score
Hey all,
I wanted to start a thread to open a line of communication for this year’s Clinical Psych applicants. I applied for the military track. Hoping to hear soon about interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I wanted to start a thread to open a line of communication for this year’s Clinical Psych applicants. I applied for the military track. Hoping to hear soon about interview.
Good Luck to you! With the change in application deadline, I hope they don't delay interview invites too much! I also applied for the military track, what branch are you going for?

Good Luck to you! With the change in application deadline, I hope they don't delay interview invites too much! I also applied for the military track, what branch are you going for?
I didn’t realize there was a change in application deadline. I’m over here patiently waiting for an email 😬 lol. I’m going for Navy. I’m a former corpsman.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to us! I applied for the military track as well, going for Army.
When is the actual application deadline? I thought it was always December 1.

Good luck everyone! 🤞I applied to the military track and I am going for Army. I am in the Army National Guard now. I did not know about the change, I thought it was always Dec. 1st too.

Reactions: 2 users
I just looked it up and saw it was extended to 1/15. I was hoping to get an interview invite around then so yea, hopefully invites aren’t too delayed. Good luck all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! 🤞I applied to the military track and I am going for Army. I am in the Army National Guard now. I did not know about the change, I thought it was always Dec. 1st too.
Hey, I'm in the Army National Guard too! Hope we get in!

Hey everyone! I’m joining the waiting party. I’m active duty Air Force applying for the military track. This is my 2nd time applying, did not receive interview invite 1st time, so hoping for the best!

I also wasn’t tracking the application deadline extension. Sounds like the suspense may last a little while longer…I wish everyone the best of luck and hope we receive good news sooner than later!

Hey everyone! I’m joining the waiting party. I’m active duty Air Force applying for the military track. This is my 2nd time applying, did not receive interview invite 1st time, so hoping for the best!

I also wasn’t tracking the application deadline extension. Sounds like the suspense may last a little while longer…I wish everyone the best of luck and hope we receive good news sooner than later!
A fellow Airman! I am in the same boat, Active Duty Air Force, and not my first time applying as well. Good Luck to you! Hopefully, we are able to meet up on Interview Day!

A fellow Airman! I am in the same boat, Active Duty Air Force, and not my first time applying as well. Good Luck to you! Hopefully, we are able to meet up on Interview Day!
Thanks and I wish you best of luck as well! I am hoping interviews will be held in person, so we can all meet each other outside of virtual land for once haha…only time will tell…

Was curious if anyone wanted to share their background/history and what steered you towards Clinical Psych? I did the navy for a while, got out due to unforeseen circumstances, went to school and I’m currently working in MH for the past 5 years.

Sure. I'm currently in the Army National Guard and been in service for 6 years. I have my Bachelors degree in Psychology and always wanted to continue my education for grad school, but life got in the way (i.e. military, work, combat deployment, and not a lot of universities offering night classes). I did a study abroad for positive psychology few years ago which steered me toward clinical psych. Would love to connect with everyone if we get invited for interview.

I have by BA and MS in Psychology. My specializations are in child and adolescent development and applied behavior analysis. I continued to work with the ABA department as a remote research assistant after I graduated. I was an Air Force spouse and I have wanted to join the military since my husband got out. I decided to join the Army National Guard as a 42A to get more exposure and experience with soldiers from all disciplines as it is my goal to work with soldiers and their families.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s wonderful to hear. Working with the individuals with mental health diagnoses can be very challenging at times so I applaud all that have applied for pursuing this line of work. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone, if I get an invite that is. I’ll be the awkward, older person that avoids eye contact because I’m antisocial lol kidding… partially

Has anyone interviewed before? Anyone have thoughts or questions about the interviews?

That’s wonderful to hear. Working with the individuals with mental health diagnoses can be very challenging at times so I applaud all that have applied for pursuing this line of work. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone, if I get an invite that is. I’ll be the awkward, older person that avoids eye contact because I’m antisocial lol kidding… partially

Has anyone interviewed before? Anyone have thoughts or questions about the interviews?
I have applied before but haven’t gotten an interview. I have done army boards/interviews before which are panel interviews so that is what I kind of imagine. I am older too so you won’t be alone there.

I have read from a forum (not sure if it's from this website) that the interview is more conversational, but it doesn't hurt to study. I imagined it would be more like regular Army boards or college/job interviews where you get asked a series of questions.
This is my 2nd time applying as well but haven't gotten an interview. I really hope and pray we'd get good news soon!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! This is a heck of a process to say the least. I think the wait is the worst. I feel like I look pretty good on paper but I’m definitely better in person so if I can at least score an interview I think it will go well. I talk for a living now and conduct interviews so if it’s conversational I’m golden lol. I did inquire some and was informed that offers will be sent out by April so hopefully we hear soon.

Hey everyone! I just found this thread so I'm a little late to the party 😅 I'm also waiting on interview notifications. I hope they come soon!

I also am a little late to the thread. I just found this thread while looking for any possible results for the cycle, so I also was unaware of the application extension. I'm active duty Air Force going on 7 years of service. I am finishing my BS in Psychology this May. I didn't even know about this program till November.

I also am a little late to the thread. I just found this thread while looking for any possible results for the cycle, so I also was unaware of the application extension. I'm active duty Air Force going on 7 years of service. I am finishing my BS in Psychology this May. I didn't even know about this program till November.
Welcome!

Hi everyone! I just found this thread last night while I was trying to figure out when interview notifications were coming out. Really glad I came across this because I didn't even know that the deadline got extended. I've got a good feeling that everything will probably be delayed by two to four weeks.
I would be surprised to hear anything before February (even though that's the norm). I've been watching gradcafe to see if anyone's posted anything and no one has so it's just an agonizing game of waiting.

Hi everyone! I just found this thread last night while I was trying to figure out when interview notifications were coming out. Really glad I came across this because I didn't even know that the deadline got extended. I've got a good feeling that everything will probably be delayed by two to four weeks.
I would be surprised to hear anything before February (even though that's the norm). I've been watching gradcafe to see if anyone's posted anything and no one has so it's just an agonizing game of waiting.
It certainly is agonizing, welcome to the group! Hope we hear something soon though!

Has anyone heard anything?? I saw on gradcafe that there was one person who posted today that they heard for an interview but can't find any other information. Has anyone else heard anything yet?

Has anyone heard anything?? I saw on gradcafe that there was one person who posted today that they heard for an interview but can't find any other information. Has anyone else heard anything yet?
I wonder if they're the civilian track. Last year's thread had the civilian applicants receiving news much sooner than military.

I wonder if they're the civilian track. Last year's thread had the civilian applicants receiving news much sooner than military.
Haven’t heard anything yet so the civilian track idea may be what’s happening. Hopefully we will get news within the next week or so.

I haven’t heard or seen anything my way yet either. I will be sure to provide an update to the group if I come across anything! Hopefully movement is a good sign that we will potentially hear something soon! Stay hopeful y’all!
Praying for everyone!

There's several showing up in grad cafe now, I searched "Uniformed Services University". One states they are military track as well.

There's several showing up in grad cafe now, I searched "Uniformed Services University". One states they are military track as well.
Yeah I saw that. I'm worried that they sent all the invitations out last night. I called this morning with no pick up, but will let you guys know if they call back.

At least one of us had to get an invite right? Lol
I was hoping y’all would! I saw someone on Gradcafe posted they received an invite on Jan 24th, so maybe there is a trickle…I honestly don’t know how their process works, so for all I know they could have already notified their selections.

Either way, they made quite the turnaround from a 15 Jan deadline. I was expecting at least another week before anything would be decided with the amount of applicants they typically receive.

I was hoping y’all would! I saw someone on Gradcafe posted they received an invite on Jan 24th, so maybe there is a trickle…I honestly don’t know how their process works, so for all I know they could have already notified their selections.

Either way, they made quite the turnaround from a 15 Jan deadline. I was expecting at least another week before anything would be decided with the amount of applicants they typically receive.
I was expecting next week too. My hopes is that they are going alphabetically, my last name starts with W. Lol

For those that have applied before, did you get an email letting you know that you weren’t getting an interview or did you have to contact them to find out?

For those that have applied before, did you get an email letting you know that you weren’t getting an interview or did you have to contact them to find out?
From what I've seen previously, people have either gotten an email or no email in January and then people who contacted were told "interviews are already out" and then told that their official rejection would come in March/April. I would be surprised if it was a trickle down effect, usually it's an all or none deal. But with the turn around, like previously mentioned, no one knows anything

I just saw another grad cafe post for mil track. I've got a really good feeling that they sent out all the invitations already

From what I've seen previously, people have either gotten an email or no email in January and then people who contacted were told "interviews are already out" and then told that their official rejection would come in March/April. I would be surprised if it was a trickle down effect, usually it's an all or none deal. But with the turn around, like previously mentioned, no one knows anything
I'm hoping they branches are sending out their own. Based off gradcafe's previous cycles, interview emails in Jan, then acceptance/wait list/rejection notification end of Feb or early March.

Well it’s looking like the fat lady sang guys and gals. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Well it’s looking like the fat lady sang guys and gals. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Wishing you the best as well! Hope this doesn't stop everyone from reaching their goals and pursuing a career in the military. USUHS Clinical Psych is a really competitive program, and I hope this doesn't stop everyone from getting into the mental health field and/or becoming an Officer in the military. I still have hopes we'd find out more news tomorrow, but after applying two times, I have to be realistic. There are many more opportunities out there, and I wished we could've all met in person at least!
Mahalo all!

I'm starting to feel that way too, the 3.97 was the nail in my coffin. I've got an honors GPA but not that good. Best of luck to you in the future as well.

Setting my sights for the next cycle... any one have any tips for strong packages? I got a late start to building mine and I've done all of my BS online so very limited research prospects and not much professor rapport. I'm also active duty, and I feel like I read about having no more than 10 years active service while applying. I couldn't find it again so I may have read a different program, but I was considering hoping to guard to try and get more research opportunities and save some of that service time. Best of luck to all of ya'll in the future.

I did not get confirmation that all invites were sent but I feel after two days, they must have been.

As for me, I’m getting too old to wait another year to go through this again. However, I haven’t ruled out going back corpsman as a behavioral health tech. Can’t do much else with a bachelors in psych.

I did not get confirmation that all invites were sent but I feel after two days, they must have been.

As for me, I’m getting too old to wait another year to go through this again. However, I haven’t ruled out going back corpsman as a behavioral health tech. Can’t do much else with a bachelors in psych.
I spoke with someone from the graduate education office yesterday and they mentioned that they are still receiving application documents from the extension and had no idea that interview invites had already gone out. Granted, I don’t think the two are necessarily related as the psych program most likely sends out the invites, but I have never received one so I cannot confirm. Either way, like everyone has mentioned already, it sounds like all the invites have gone out.

This was my last shot at it as I am 36 yrs old and will hit 17 years active duty in March, so my timetable has expired haha. I start getting into all the waivers and pushing 30 years after all is said and done…plus, I am already running up on 6 years in the Washington D.C. area, so I am hot for a new assignment. In the meantime, I will finish my grad degree in clinical mental health counseling and pursue that into retirement from the Air Force.

I want to encourage the rest of you to keep trying! Once you get official notification, reach out for feedback from the advisor you selected and work on strengthening your package. We desperately need dedicated people who care about the warfighters and have the passion to serve them!

I am praying for everyone and your future endeavors!

Reactions: 4 users