USUHS - Core Clerkships - Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LearnMilMedCare

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For optimal "breath/depth" exposure, Military base locations recommended for each "bold" listed below, with reasons why:

Block 1: Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and Selective (Radiology)
Block 2: Internal Medicine - Inpatient, Internal Medicine - Outpatient/Ambulatory, Psychiatry
Block 3: Obstetrics/Gynecology, General Surgery, Surgery Core Subspecialties (Orthopedic, Urology, Vascular, Cardiothoracic, Burn, Trauma, Cardiothoracic/Vascular Combined

i.e. Clerkships that will give me solid foundation prior to Post-Clerkship/Advanced Clinical Rotations.

Also, for each recommended base/location, what I need to consider, be aware of, keep in mind. etc.,

Appreciate advice, additional info, etc.,

Thanks
 
Do as many civilian rotations as you can. It's nice to see real volume and pathology.
Agree, however, I would say that you can focus on that as a 4th year with your electives once you have a solid foundation in place. As an MS2/MS3 the MTFs have a perfect volume and speed for building a foundation and for learning. Just my two cents having been through this USUHS curriculum. I did several civilian 4th year rotations in emergency medicine and on a (real) ICU and I highly recommend some civilian exposure as well.

As far as locations are concerned, I can only speak for the Navy ones. But I imagine all the larger sized MTFs across the services are similar. SAMC is probably the largest and best for volume from what I have heard but I cannot speak to it personally.