USUHS entering class Fall 2006 (c/o 2010)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ebolahunter said:
yo, i was accepted last week. I really liked the school, but still not sure if its my top choice. Congrats to everyone else...

Congrats to you. You're pretty calm about it. Not your first acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

My waiver was approved! Hoorah! :D

Greetings... I am a pilot with the USMC right now, but when my contract is up I am looking at USUHS. Is there anyone there with a similar background who will be attending USUHS? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
PHROGMAN said:
Greetings... I am a pilot with the USMC right now, but when my contract is up I am looking at USUHS. Is there anyone there with a similar background who will be attending USUHS? Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation, but with the Air Force. You might ask in the military medicine forum, too.

Hey All! Congrats on your acceptances. USUHS was my top choice, and i will definitely be attending in August. I recently created a Google Group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/USUHS-2010
go there and click join! Tell any friends you know who will be attending too.
Go Navy! :)
LHS2miler

Anyone been unconditionally accepted yet?

ebolahunter said:

Congrats! I'm waiting for the letter. They were so efficient before :(

LHS2miler said:
Hey All! Congrats on your acceptances. USUHS was my top choice, and i will definitely be attending in August. I recently created a Google Group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/USUHS-2010
go there and click join! Tell any friends you know who will be attending too.
Go Navy! :)
LHS2miler

Anyone else want to join and talk about our class? I'm excited! We're going to be docs in 2010, can anyone else believe it? :D

Hey all! I got accepted here a few weeks ago, but still don't know if it's my top choice. Just thought I would say hi though!

Congrats to all who've made it!

Has anyone who took the MCAT on August been invited for an interview at USUHS yet?

Congrats, MDROSE! Good luck wherever else you applied and good luck making a decision. It's a big decision. I've got almost 9 years of Air Force experience and am willing to tell stories or answer questions. We could all pool info, I'm sure.

devilpup, I took mine in April '04, so I'm no help. Anyone else? Good luck, do you have ties to the Marine Corps?

Hey Moosepilot, thanks! Actually you probably could help out a little. I see so many negative things sometimes about military medicine so I am still trying to get the truth out somewhere. I will be doing military at some point as I also have an HPSP, so I guess my big decision is whether I want a career in the military or not. Anyway, any info you have from your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
MDROSE said:
Hey Moosepilot, thanks! Actually you probably could help out a little. I see so many negative things sometimes about military medicine so I am still trying to get the truth out somewhere. I will be doing military at some point as I also have an HPSP, so I guess my big decision is whether I want a career in the military or not. Anyway, any info you have from your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Well, the military truly is tough. They take away a lot of the freedoms of choice that you're used to. The work is tough. They deploy you away from home unpredictably. In return, they compensate well if you take into account training, pay, and benefits.

If you're not sure, I wouldn't do something that you feel commits you to a career before you have a chance to learn whether the military is for you or not. There are other ways to go. Loans aren't impossible to get and normally will leave you financially ahead. I recommend you compare costs and benefits for each route. I did that and civilian would have come out ahead, except that my prior service will let me retire right after I fulfill my USUHS commitment and retirement pushes that route ahead as long as I live to a reasonable age.

Things I've gone through to get into USUHS:
1. Graduated college (the first in my family)
2. 9 year (by the time I matriculate) pilot career
3. Retook MCAT 8 years after last science class
4. Got permission from USAF to apply (turned down last year)
5. AMCAS app
6. Secondary app
7. Interview
8. Submitted my already existing security clearance (easiest part of process)
9. Took a physical 6 months after my last flying physical
9.a. filed rebuttals to all of DoDMERBS disqualifications
9.b. filed further rebuttals of one disqualification
9.c. requested a waiver for that disqualification from USUHS and chased that down

9.c. was complete as of 22 Dec. Great! Yipee! Now why can't they send me an unconditional acceptance? I need that before I can schedule the movers for my stuff, which I need to do before I decide on a closing date so I can sell my house, which I need to schedule so I can get it ready to sell. WTF? I've emailed admissions and they're supposedly working on it. How hard is it, given that I've done everything needed? They just have to send me the piece of paper! :mad:

I'm going to take a little SDN break. If anyone wants to chat, I'll try to check the google group from time to time.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing everyone next year!

i have my conditional acceptance, need to get a waiver (this is iffy for me). but here's my question - at what point does a non-military person find out which service they would join? unconditional acceptance? committing to the school? this might make a difference in whether or not i choose to go there.
also, where does a person go to get the body fat tape measurements? (in retrospect, scheduling my physical smack in the middle of the holiday season may have been a mistake, weight-wise :)

*bump*

somebody please pay attention to me :)

I found out what branch I was accepted for when I got my first conditional acceptance (the first letter of acceptance they sent me). So, the branch they accepted you for should be on that letter, if not, I would call and ask them because they only accept a certain number of people for each branch. Also, as for body fat measurement, I'm sure you could go to a normal doctor somewhere out there, but they may want you to go to a military facility to get it done since they usually have strict standards. Again, I would ask them though since they are the ones you want to please. Hope that helps and maybe I'll see you this summer/fall!

oneaat said:
i have my conditional acceptance, need to get a waiver (this is iffy for me). but here's my question - at what point does a non-military person find out which service they would join? unconditional acceptance? committing to the school? this might make a difference in whether or not i choose to go there.
also, where does a person go to get the body fat tape measurements? (in retrospect, scheduling my physical smack in the middle of the holiday season may have been a mistake, weight-wise :)

I think a lot of people do their body fat test initially at DoDMERB. If not, I think you can do it at a nearby recruiter. I'm active duty, though, so I'm unfamiliar with those issues.

I'm active duty so I got one of the girls I work with to tape me, but I think it says on the form any doc can sign it. If you have questions call Norm Mitchell...also make sure they are holding you to the standards for your service. I'm AF and they made me tape saying I failed height/weight for Army...well I talked to a woman who I guess is Norm Mitchell's boss and she agreed that it wasn't right to make AF and Navy adheer to Army standards and she decided to change the policy. SO make sure that you are being held to the right standards since Army is the most strict. I pass height/weight for AF but not for Army, though when I got taped I was fine, so don't worry too much :)

BTW I got my unconditional about a month or so ago and had to go through a huge run around with DoDMERB so if you need anything, I'm here for ya ;) Plus I'm already on contract to buy a condo, so if anyone needs help that's gonna be buying let me know.

Does anybody know if a match list for USUHS exists for 2006?

Count me in too. :D I know I posted this on other threads, but any suggestions for housing, especially near the school? :confused: