USUHS entering class Fall 2006 (c/o 2010)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAFdoc2be

Jaime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago and got my acceptance on Monday. Just seeing who else might be going next year or who's thinking or hoping to be :)

Members don't see this ad.

USAFdoc2be said:
I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago and got my acceptance on Monday. Just seeing who else might be going next year or who's thinking or hoping to be :)

Congratulations!! Are you accepted into the Air Force? I am too!

i interviewed on the 6th of October........ wondering what's taking so long....... sign......

Members don't see this ad :)
gogo110182 said:
i interviewed on the 6th of October........ wondering what's taking so long....... sign......

Don't sweat it. They interview a few more than they can look at every week and not everyone is going to get a superfast response. I know several that are there now who took longer to find out.

Congratulations on your acceptances guys! I was wondering if any of you ever experience any apprehension or conflicting thoughts about going into military medicine. Military medicine is something I am very interested in but when reading the postings from the military docs in the military medicine forum they make it seem like one would have to be crazy to want to practice medicine in the military. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this or have had any positive experiences with military medicine. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

mrpankration said:
Congratulations on your acceptances guys! I was wondering if any of you ever experience any apprehension or conflicting thoughts about going into military medicine. Military medicine is something I am very interested in but when reading the postings from the military docs in the military medicine forum they make it seem like one would have to be crazy to want to practice medicine in the military. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this or have had any positive experiences with military medicine. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have some apprehension. I've got a lot of military experience and I realize it can't suck much more than it has so far. I had positive experiences when I shadowed a couple of military docs, but I wasn't responsible and only did it for a week, so it would be tough for it to suck in that short a time.

Being away from home all the time is not good. Definitely think about it.

A daughter's perspective on life with military medicine:

My dad had the Navy pay for his undergrad at RPI (the only way he could have afforded college) and med school at USUHS, he spent over twenty years in the Navy as an Emergency Physician and retired from the Navy to work at a private hospital a little over a year ago.

Immediately after graduation he married my mom and did two years in Bethesda doing generalist-type stuff (forgive me for the lack of details here). He was on a ship when I was born, but hasn't been on one since. He did two years in Portsmouth, VA then two years somewhere in Texas (not exactly sure where- I was only 2-4 years old) in an emergency medicine residency. Next it was off to Camp LeJeune, NC for a year and then back to Portsmouth, where he spent the last 14 years of his Navy career. I know, 14 years is a ridiculously long time to stay in one spot, but he kept finding ways to move up the ranks of the Emergency Department of Naval Medical Center Portsmouth- residency director, department head, etc. Seven or eight years ago he got his MBA and worked his way up the administration ranks, again all at Portsmouth. He then took a job doing Tricare stuff at their offices in Norfolk (local- we didn't move), which was his last Navy job.

He retired as a Captain and specifically did NOT want to go Admiral because they're sent all over the place every two years (for example, a friend of our family went Admiral and was sent from Va Beach to California to Belgium) and my parents didn't want to put my 13-year old sister through all of that.

He got paid less as a practicing physician in the Navy than he otherwise would have- it's done by rank, not by job, but they did pay for his undergrad and med school. By the time he was done paying back his time, he figured it was worth it to stay in so he could retire with full benefits. So now he's a good 15-20 years away from really retiring and is getting a Navy pension + a full time ER salary.

Overall he had a positive experience. However, I believe his was rather rare. He was never sent abroad during a war or conflict, but by the time the Iraq thing started he was the one deciding who to send. The moving around thing wasn't a big deal for me, since I was little, and my mom doesn't work so it didn't mess up any career aspirations for her. In fact, my dad has said he wished we could have done a stint in Europe while my sisters and I were young (which was an option he declined at some point). Comparing, Navy and non-Navy, he's said that both are time-consuming and exhausing, just in different ways.

So why am I NOT applying to USUHS? Mainly b/c I want to have some control over where I live and more control over what I do.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way, just providing the info. Hope it helps.

Yes I will be AF as well Moosepilot, I'm currently active duty and love it. The medical side is very different but I was a drug rep before coming into the military so I've talked to Docs on both sides. One of my best friends went to USUHS and I was lucky enough during my first interview to get a doc who'd been a practicing civilian before she came in so we talked for awhile about the differences between military and civilian medicine.

I'm not saying it'll be all wine and roses, but you have to know what you're coming into.....THE MILITARY....this ain't no country club. Every service is different so try not to compare services. I think the biggest problem people have is attitude. I've always been told, do the best you can at your current job. It's true! Make the best of every situation because you'll learn something, rather than wasting days away by complaining. There are big differences between civilian and military practice, but the military also has some advantages. There's nothing like standing on the ramp and watching a B-1 take off overhead so loud you have to block your ears. It is an awesome sight. There are some travel opportunities, and you get to work with the world's best military and I haven't met a better group of people anywhere. If you want to come to work everyday with your family, then join the military.

I've got my uniform on right now and it's off to work! I can't wait for med school, but hey, I love my job :)

hi guys! i have an interview there in a few weeks....i'm a female civilian, so i think it should be interesting. it's good to know that ya'll are excited about the school tho. any helpful hints?

msdoc said:
hi guys! i have an interview there in a few weeks....i'm a female civilian, so i think it should be interesting. it's good to know that ya'll are excited about the school tho. any helpful hints?

Have you read through the interview feedback, yet? Read through that and the military medicine forum here to get a feel for different perspectives on military medicine.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, best of luck to you all and congratulations!

I have an interview there in a few weeks....it's my first choice school so I'm pretty excited.

Did you guys fly into Reagan and take the Metro to Bethesda? Any travel tips that you would like to share?

I need an opinion from the military folks: I just came off active duty as Navy officer and I am affiliating with a reserve unit locally. Since I am technically inactive ready reserve at the moment, should I still wear my uniform or should I just wear a suit? I really don't want to misrepresent myself or the uniform. I've had few conflicting opinions from some of my former officer colleagues.

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmD2MD said:
I have an interview there in a few weeks....it's my first choice school so I'm pretty excited.

Did you guys fly into Reagan and take the Metro to Bethesda? Any travel tips that you would like to share?

I need an opinion from the military folks: I just came off active duty as Navy officer and I am affiliating with a reserve unit locally. Since I am technically inactive ready reserve at the moment, should I still wear my uniform or should I just wear a suit? I really don't want to misrepresent myself or the uniform. I've had few conflicting opinions from some of my former officer colleagues.

Thanks....

If you're not sure you can always call and ask someone at the school. They're super nice and helpful! I called a lot :)

PharmD2MD said:

Thanks....

I'd reference the regs. If you're allowed to wear the uniform, i.e. it's totally legit according to the regs, I would. If there's any question, I wouldn't and then I'd explain why I chose not to at a point when it seemed appropriate.

USAFdoc2be said:
Yes I will be AF as well Moosepilot, I'm currently active duty and love it. The medical side is very different but I was a drug rep before coming into the military so I've talked to Docs on both sides. One of my best friends went to USUHS and I was lucky enough during my first interview to get a doc who'd been a practicing civilian before she came in so we talked for awhile about the differences between military and civilian medicine.

I'm not saying it'll be all wine and roses, but you have to know what you're coming into.....THE MILITARY....this ain't no country club. Every service is different so try not to compare services. I think the biggest problem people have is attitude. I've always been told, do the best you can at your current job. It's true! Make the best of every situation because you'll learn something, rather than wasting days away by complaining. There are big differences between civilian and military practice, but the military also has some advantages. There's nothing like standing on the ramp and watching a B-1 take off overhead so loud you have to block your ears. It is an awesome sight. There are some travel opportunities, and you get to work with the world's best military and I haven't met a better group of people anywhere. If you want to come to work everyday with your family, then join the military.

I've got my uniform on right now and it's off to work! I can't wait for med school, but hey, I love my job :)

I totally agree with you about attitude. Yes, you definately need to know what you're getting into if you go to USUHS, but even the negatives aren't necessarily negatives, just depends on how you look at it. I try to think about the traveling as an adventure and a way to keep me from being bored. And all the people who say that military medicine is so awful compared to civilian medicine should check out the other side. Both types of medicine will have crap you have to deal with, every job does. What's important is that you get to take care of patients, no matter where you are. My husband is active duty in the Air Force, so that makes the decision a little easier for me, since I'll be moving with him every 3 years anyway.
I interviewed at USUHS on 10/20 and they told me they wouldn't be informing us for 8 weeks about acceptance! Oh well, I can console myself with the fact that the interview went well. I still laugh when I think of the Navy Captain (my second interviewer), who told me, "Now you go out there and tell your husband that you've decided to go Navy!"

MoosePilot said:
I'd reference the regs. If you're allowed to wear the uniform, i.e. it's totally legit according to the regs, I would. If there's any question, I wouldn't and then I'd explain why I chose not to at a point when it seemed appropriate.

I agree. Consider the consequences of wearing the uniform. If you are right, then you get to wear your uniform. This only confirms the things you (I assume) you put on your application about your service. If you are wrong, then you'll look like a fool when somebody calls you out on it. I might even consider calling the protocol office at the school if you can't find a solid answer.

Just an FYI -- I interviewed Oct 6th and my letter was sent 2 weeks later, but I know others from that date who haven't heard anything. I wouldn't worry though because they may have different processes for various services and for active duty vs. civilians. I'm active duty AF and going into the AF, and so is Moosepilot, so maybe they have a different process for us. I'm sure those of you who haven't heard will soon :)

i interviewed on the 13th of October and haven't heard anything. It's only been 2.5 weeks, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried at this point. But it is a real pain in the neck to wait for a decision!

Best of luck to all those still waiting!

Interviewed Oct 27th...this past Thursday. 6-9 weeks they say...AAAHH!!

Yeap yeap best of luck to all! Top choice...GOSH I really want to go to this school! EEEE!

Turkeyman said:
Interviewed Oct 27th...this past Thursday. 6-9 weeks they say...AAAHH!!

Yeap yeap best of luck to all! Top choice...GOSH I really want to go to this school! EEEE!

Good luck!

Congrats to you guys who got into USUHS! I would have liked to go there... went HPSP instead. See you on the other side of med school...

Anyone else heard yet? I know one of the other guys in my interview group got his acceptance this week.

BTW I need to vent. I was really annoyed today because I got an e-mail telling me I failed the Army weight standards. Umm I'm active duty AF and staying AF, but for some reason to go to USUHS I have to meet Army standards. How is this fair? I pass all AF standards for weight, BMI and even max out the waist measurement, but am too "heavy" for the Army. Now I have to get taped to show I don't have a high body fat percentage, and I'll pass, but it kills me that I shouldn't have to do any of this.

I love the military, but stupid stuff like this drives me insane!

USAFdoc2be said:
BTW I need to vent. I was really annoyed today because I got an e-mail telling me I failed the Army weight standards. Umm I'm active duty AF and staying AF, but for some reason to go to USUHS I have to meet Army standards. How is this fair? I pass all AF standards for weight, BMI and even max out the waist measurement, but am too "heavy" for the Army. Now I have to get taped to show I don't have a high body fat percentage, and I'll pass, but it kills me that I shouldn't have to do any of this.

haha....fatty.

JUST KIDDING!

USAFdoc2be said:

I loved the military for my first five years too :smuggrin:

I hate stuff like that! :mad:

USAFdoc2be said:

how'd you find out? regular mail? i think i remember at the interview one of the panelists saying that the notification comes by US mail, but i know a 2nd year there who found out by email.

indigoblue said:
how'd you find out? regular mail? i think i remember at the interview one of the panelists saying that the notification comes by US mail, but i know a 2nd year there who found out by email.

I originally found out by phone cause I called to ask when the letters would be mailed and mine just happened to be mailed the day before and she congratulated me, so I assumed that was good news and I got my official letter in the mail that following Mon.

I saw on MDapplicants.com a person who interviewed on 10/20 and received an acceptance on 11/17. I guess this is earlier than their 5-7weeks that they said it would take for those who were there that day. I interviewed on 10/13 and they told me 3-6 weeks, but haven't heard anything. Is anyone else in the same boat?

BTW, if you've recently been accepted to USUHS, congrats! Drop a line and show some spirit! :thumbup:

indigoblue said:
I saw on MDapplicants.com a person who interviewed on 10/20 and received an acceptance on 11/17. I guess this is earlier than their 5-7weeks that they said it would take for those who were there that day. I interviewed on 10/13 and they told me 3-6 weeks, but haven't heard anything. Is anyone else in the same boat?

BTW, if you've recently been accepted to USUHS, congrats! Drop a line and show some spirit! :thumbup:

Trust me, I'm extremely spirited. I'll be much more spirited when DODMERBS gets their grubby little paws off my unconditional acceptance. Bastards!! :smuggrin:

I'm wearing a USUHS shirt right now... :p

Oooh, 10/20 and 11/17??????

I was the interview date right after, 10/27. Does this mean....next week......or right after Thanksgiving maybe? EEEEEE!

HelLLloOOO Rejection :(

Turkeyman said:
Oooh, 10/20 and 11/17??????

I was the interview date right after, 10/27. Does this mean....next week......or right after Thanksgiving maybe? EEEEEE!

HelLLloOOO Rejection :(

I bet they're not going to reject you, Turkey! They might leave you hanging for a bit, but I hope they just accept you outright! I'd dig having you for a classmate!

MoosePilot said:
I bet they're not going to reject you, Turkey! They might leave you hanging for a bit, but I hope they just accept you outright! I'd dig having you for a classmate!

I hope the pilot in all his wisdom is correct! It'd totally rock going into MS1 with a fellow regular SDNer such as yourself. Thanks for all the help so far as well, much appreciated!

On a side note...my cousin who went to USUHS is coming back this week for Thanksgiving, and said we might be able to pay Mrs. Stearman a visit. That'd be cooool, because I'm assuming she has a good deal of the final say in decisions? :D

Turkeyman said:
On a side note...my cousin who went to USUHS is coming back this week for Thanksgiving, and said we might be able to pay Mrs. Stearman a visit. That'd be cooool, because I'm assuming she has a good deal of the final say in decisions? :D

Lucky dawg!!!! I'd kill to be able to talk to Mrs. Stearman in person. Now I'm sitting here mulling over whether or not to send a letter of interest while my chances dwindle away...

Turkeyman said:
I hope the pilot in all his wisdom is correct! It'd totally rock going into MS1 with a fellow regular SDNer such as yourself. Thanks for all the help so far as well, much appreciated!

She seems to like visiting with applicants. Make an appointment with her and avoid Thursdays of course.

Shoot guys...Interview 10/27, Acceptance letter came today, the day after Thanksgiving, 11/25. I guess there really IS a reason I'm called Turkeyman :D? If all goes well with the medical stuff and the clearance commissioning --> I'll most likely be joining you!

It still hasn't hit me...poop.

Turkeyman said:
Shoot guys...Interview 10/27, Acceptance letter came today, the day after Thanksgiving, 11/25. I guess there really IS a reason I'm called Turkeyman :D? If all goes well with the medical stuff and the clearance commissioning --> I'll most likely be joining you!

ha! congrats big time! now celebrate your a$$ off! :thumbup:

Turkeyman said:

Sweet, Turkeyman! :thumbup: :D

has anyone been looking at this site?

https://dodmerb.tricare.osd.mil/default.asp

i went to Walter Reed on Nov 14 and got the physical done, but my info isn't showing up yet. is the website active still?

i'm wondering, especially because i got this email from Norman Mitchell (commissioning coordinator):

Admissions will contact you by mail if they offer you a Conditional Acceptance.They usually check on your medical status and review your school file for determination. Thank you for the exam dates and also the email address clarification.

indigoblue said:
has anyone been looking at this site?

https://dodmerb.tricare.osd.mil/default.asp

i went to Walter Reed on Nov 14 and got the physical done, but my info isn't showing up yet. is the website active still?

i'm wondering, especially because i got this email from Norman Mitchell (commissioning coordinator):

Admissions will contact you by mail if they offer you a Conditional Acceptance.They usually check on your medical status and review your school file for determination. Thank you for the exam dates and also the email address clarification.

Yes. My information (as stupid and Catch-22 like as it is) is all there. They don't wait for that for a conditional acceptance, but they won't give you an unconditional until DODMERB qualifies you or you are disqualified and waived.

Hope that helps!

MoosePilot said:
Yes. My information (as stupid and Catch-22 like as it is) is all there. They don't wait for that for a conditional acceptance, but they won't give you an unconditional until DODMERB qualifies you or you are disqualified and waived.

Hope that helps!

so you got cleared?

indigoblue said:
so you got cleared?

and how long did ago did you do your physical? how long did it take to get cleared? just wondering, cuz if i get cleared first, maybe that will help with my decision

indigoblue said:
so you got cleared?

No. Thus the Catch-22.

DoDMERB has stated that I am disqualified for commissioning.

However, since I'm currently an active duty captain on active flying status, which is much more restrictive than simply being commissionable, that is ridiculous.

I'm in the unenviable position of being an uncommissionable commissioned officer.

The military has put themselves in the rather stupid position of disqualifying a medical school acceptee who is pretty much done with his committment. The only impact their decision will have is to cost the military a doctor in 4 years.

All of this is for a misdiagnosis. I asked what they based the diagnosis on and then sent a rebuttal written by the doctor who wrote the original document. Despite never having seen me, they decided their diagnosis was better. I think the magic 8 ball and the dart board agreed.

I had my physical done on base. I had direct phone contact with them at DoDMERB. Being an O-3 does have some privileges. It took a week or two to hear I was disqualifed on the phone, another few days for it to register on the website, and another couple of weeks to get the postal confirmation.

MoosePilot said:
No. Thus the Catch-22.

DoDMERB has stated that I am disqualified for commissioning.

However, since I'm currently an active duty captain on active flying status, which is much more restrictive than simply being commissionable, that is ridiculous.

I'm in the unenviable position of being an uncommissionable commissioned officer.

The military has put themselves in the rather stupid position of disqualifying a medical school acceptee who is pretty much done with his committment. The only impact their decision will have is to cost the military a doctor in 4 years.

All of this is for a misdiagnosis. I asked what they based the diagnosis on and then sent a rebuttal written by the doctor who wrote the original document. Despite never having seen me, they decided their diagnosis was better. I think the magic 8 ball and the dart board agreed.

sorry to hear about your trouble, moose... i'm sure everything will clear up soon, though. that sounds ridiculous, i can't imagine what would make the doctor do that to you... i mean, are they that stringent? i can't see any reason why i would be disqualified, all they did was just check my eyes, ears, height, weight, etc ... nothing abnormal.

seriously, they make this thing too time consuming...

indigoblue said:
sorry to hear about your trouble, moose... i'm sure everything will clear up soon, though. that sounds ridiculous, i can't imagine what would make the doctor do that to you... i mean, are they that stringent? i can't see any reason why i would be disqualified, all they did was just check my eyes, ears, height, weight, etc ... nothing abnormal.

seriously, they make this thing too time consuming...

I wrote it down. It's all over my medical records that I had minor stomach irritation being treated with Prilosec. Better to be rejected than to be accepted based on an omission, but it's pretty ******ed when I'm still flying all over the world as an aircraft commander, so it's not like there's anyone qualified to supervise me in the airplane in case my stomach falls out or something.

I got my sponsor letter, but haven't been unconditionally accepted, due to DoDMERB. Any idea if it's significant?

i haven't been accepted, so i don't know if i should be posting here, but i gotta say that i can totally understand the frustration with the problems that people are having with DoDmerb. I just checked my status on the website, and it says i have to get additional documentation for my eyes. This is crazy! My eyes are hardly even that bad, I don't even need glasses. But since I am slightly nearsighted, they want me to get some other tests...

weird!

indigoblue said:
i haven't been accepted, so i don't know if i should be posting here, but i gotta say that i can totally understand the frustration with the problems that people are having with DoDmerb. I just checked my status on the website, and it says i have to get additional documentation for my eyes. This is crazy! My eyes are hardly even that bad, I don't even need glasses. But since I am slightly nearsighted, they want me to get some other tests...

weird!

DoDMERB is a black hole of intelligence. You try to send them some, but they suck it in and none ever comes back out.

yo, i was accepted last week. I really liked the school, but still not sure if its my top choice. Congrats to everyone else...