USUHS "Final Exam"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a more updated article than this a few months ago but the idea is the same... Is this really part of the course work at USUHS? It seems like it's completely useless. Now I haven't spent time deployed as a physician but I've been a GMO For almost 2 years and I was former infantry I just can't see the practical reasoning behind a "final exam" such as this except that they want the students to be all hoo ahh about military medicine. Am I wrong here

http://www.acep.org/content.aspx?id=46265

Members don't see this ad.

You're right, it probably is useless in the grand scheme of things. It falls in line with taking organic chemistry, going through officer training school, attending the school of aerospace medicine as a medical student, and riding an ambulance as a resident in emergency medicine. We do lots of things is doctors "for the experience of it" or "just because they might be useful" in the future.

I saw a more updated article than this a few months ago but the idea is the same... Is this really part of the course work at USUHS? It seems like it's completely useless. Now I haven't spent time deployed as a physician but I've been a GMO For almost 2 years and I was former infantry I just can't see the practical reasoning behind a "final exam" such as this except that they want the students to be all hoo ahh about military medicine. Am I wrong here

http://www.acep.org/content.aspx?id=46265

The article uses the term "essentially their final exam," but that is basically just a journalist who doesn't understand medical school (or school in general) trying to use generic terms (final exam) to make the exercise seem more important than it is. It isn't a final. Everyone passes. It is a field exercise and takes about two weeks (1 week work up, 1 week in the field) to complete. It counts for C4, so if you don't do Bushmaster you are going to do a similar field exercise anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, this is nothing to worry about. being prior service you will probably find it amusing.

"many take personal leave to come back to participate in future exercises." i just snorted coffee out my nose.

evidence, please. and 3 or 4 does not count as "many." what normal person would waste their personal leave doing this? i know commands love their training courses but i've become more attuned to these exaggerations.

--your friendly neighborhood BS meter checking caveman

Reactions: 1 user