USUHS housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are some specific apartments in Bethesda where USUHS students tend to live? I plan to make a trip to find a place, but I'd like to have a couple of ideas as to where I should start looking. I have heard that a lot of people tend to live further outside, but I think I would rather be close to the school.

Another question...if I did get a place further away but close to a metro stop, how far is the walk from the Medical Center stop to the school?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

mikeS said:
Does anyone know if there are some specific apartments in Bethesda where USUHS students tend to live? I plan to make a trip to find a place, but I'd like to have a couple of ideas as to where I should start looking. I have heard that a lot of people tend to live further outside, but I think I would rather be close to the school.

Another question...if I did get a place further away but close to a metro stop, how far is the walk from the Medical Center stop to the school?

Thanks for any help you can give.

i don't attend USUHS, but i have some friends there, and i visited the campus a few times last fall when i was in town interviewing for residency.

housing in the DC area is crazy. *most* students i know live in the bethesda/rockville/silver spring/gaithersburg area. residents as well. we're currently in the process of looking for housing, and have found a few nice places in laurel. the beltsville/college park area has some nice areas as well. it's really hit and miss in the DC area, much different than what i'm used to where you can count on certain areas being a certain way. regardless of where you find a place, be prepared for it to be pricey. a friend of mine ir renting a 1BR apartment in the silver spring area north of walter reed and she pays around 1k/month. apartments in bethesda are probably even more expensive. to purchase something like a townhome you'll need to pay 200-250k, detached homes 300+.

as far as walking from the metro stop-- i wouldn't recommend it. i asked some USUHS people about it and they said it's possible, but it's still quite a hike to get back to it. you have to pass national naval and several other buildings, and it's at least a 15 to 20 minute walk. not something i'd want to do in class B's when it's raining, lol.

i would also contact the student affairs office to see if they can put you in touch with some 4th years that are graduating and will be moving-- not all of them can stay in DC :)

good luck

Homunculus is pretty accurate. I've lived in both Silver Spring and Rockville...both were nice. Bethesda tends to be pretty expensive. Your best bet would be to look around campus for fliers from third and fourth years who will be traveling next year...you can get some really cheap rent this way. If you have any specifics feel free to PM me.

Rotatores

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick responses

If you want to live close to schol, try looking in Kensington. It is a beatiful small town about 2 miles from USUHS/Bethesda Naval Hospital and about 4 miles from Walter Reed. There is almost no traffic and you get to drive through Rock Creek park on the way to school. I lived about 1 mile from the Mormon Temple (a well recognized landmark in the area). If you are lucky, you should be able to find a small home for rent in the $1200-1400/mo range. I think the housing allowiance is around $1400 (with depedents), so it is in the ballpark price range. I found my home in the Washington Post; try doing a search in Washingtonpost.com in "Kensington".

Another decent option is a group of older townhomes that used to be officer housing for the Walter Reed annex that are now privately owned. They are close to the Walter Reed Commisary and just a couple of blocks from the Forest Glen Metro. I know of a few students that have lived there and the location is hard to beat. I don't know the street name, but if you look in the neighborhoods on the West side of the Metro stop, you should find them.

Reactions: 1 user
Rudy said:
If you want to live close to schol, try looking in Kensington. It is a beatiful small town about 2 miles from USUHS/Bethesda Naval Hospital and about 4 miles from Walter Reed. There is almost no traffic and you get to drive through Rock Creek park on the way to school. I lived about 1 mile from the Mormon Temple (a well recognized landmark in the area). If you are lucky, you should be able to find a small home for rent in the $1200-1400/mo range. I think the housing allowiance is around $1400 (with depedents), so it is in the ballpark price range. I found my home in the Washington Post; try doing a search in Washingtonpost.com in "Kensington".

Another decent option is a group of older townhomes that used to be officer housing for the Walter Reed annex that are now privately owned. They are close to the Walter Reed Commisary and just a couple of blocks from the Forest Glen Metro. I know of a few students that have lived there and the location is hard to beat. I don't know the street name, but if you look in the neighborhoods on the West side of the Metro stop, you should find them.

i think BAH is around 2k/month now with dependents for hte DC area. :)

Homunculus said:
i think BAH is around 2k/month now with dependents for hte DC area. :)
2004 BAH for USUHS no prior service, no dependents is 1191/month.

evines said:
2004 BAH for USUHS no prior service, no dependents is 1191/month.

ugh. yeah, i forgot that y'all are O-1's and not 0-3's like us graduating folks :)

if i were an incoming USUHS student, i do everything i could do buy something. in searching for our own housing out there we've found people who bought 4 years ago for 150k who are selling for 230k and above. and if you stick around for residency, it'll appreciate that much more.

i realize that at USUHS you guys are gone virtually your entire MS3 year, but putting that BAH into somehthing that you will at *least* get back or *make* some $$ on to me sure beats paying rent. :cool:

Anyone know how competitive admission to USUHS is? I lived and worked in the area as a respiratory therapist from 94-98 (94-97 @ actually at the naval hospital). I'm just wondering b/c I just took the MCAT and will be applying to schools soon. How much, if any,does prior service help in getting in( 10yrs total( 7 navy and 3 army national guard)). I'm not a superstar as far as gpa. ( around 3.7) and I don't think I will be in the 30's for MCAT? But, I do love the DC area, and the idea of going to that school, and finishing the second 10yrs towards a military retirement sound good. Any opinions wil be appreciated.

rotatores said:
When I applied in 2001 I believe the stats were about a 30 mcat and 3.5 gpa. I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

Rotatores

From what I can tell this is accurate (last years MSAR lists it at 3.4 and 30). Also, I believe the number of applicants has decreased over the last few years.