USUHS people: how do you pay rent in D.C. during away clerkships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtn3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To any USUHS people:

I was recently accepted to USUHS-Army, and one of the many things that attracts me to the school is how much I will get to travel.

But the problem is how will I be able to keep an apartment in the D.C. area when I am gone during 3rd and 4th year clerkships for literally months at a time? I know that the Army is not about to DOUBLE my BAH, I know that they do not give a housing allowance if they are housing you so what happens to your wife at home in Maryland with $1200 rent payment due while you are at tripler for 2 months spending the rent money? How is this problem resolved?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't spend your rent money while you are TDY (temporary duty) or TAD if you are of the swabbie persuasion. Your billeting (hotel, or bachelor officers quarters) are paid for in addition to a daily allowence for food (per diem). If you are thrifty with your per diem you might actually make money while you're TDY...