USUHS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nylesor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's another one of those annoying "what are my chances" thread, but I was just hoping that someone on here could help me out. I've been in the AFROTC program for four years and loved it so far. I think USUHS would be the ideal school for me, combining my passion for medicine and the opportunity to serve in the military. I'd like to go for flight surgeon and could possibly see myself going for the whole 20 years. I'm also in the HPSP program, however, USUHS is still my first choice. My stats are 3.6 for overall GPA, 3.3 for science GPA, and an MCAT of 30 (verbal 13, Physical 8, and biological 9). I have a sizeable amount of EC's, volunteering, shadowing experiences with several doctors including Air Force flight surgeons, an awesome military focused personal statement, and excellent LOR's from both my Air Force ROTC commanders and the Army ROTC commander (I do additionally training with the Army for more field experience). The thing that worries me the most is the lateness of my interview date - January 5. I was originally scheduled for Dec. 8, but am unable to go due to family obligations. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in or is making the waitlist the best I can look forward to? Also, should I go in my ROTC uniform? I think I look pretty spiffy in it... :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are comparable to mine. I interviewed later, Feb. 14 (the last interview day my year). They will tell you that all of the slots for the next year are taken and that you'll be put on the wait list. Just remain patient. You'll also be asked to rank the services in order of preference. Historically, the Air Force is the most competative and seldom takes people off of the wait list. The Army on the other hand, has more slots at school and moves through the wait list quicker. I'm not sure how putting Army first will work with your ROTC commitment. As far as uniform, I know the interviewees from the Academies wear theirs, and I believe some of the ROTC folks did also. It won't hurt you if you wear it. Hope that helps. Good luck, it's been good these last 3.5 years.

PM me with more questions.

Nylesor said:
Yes. It's another one of those annoying "what are my chances" thread, but I was just hoping that someone on here could help me out. I've been in the AFROTC program for four years and loved it so far. I think USUHS would be the ideal school for me, combining my passion for medicine and the opportunity to serve in the military. I'd like to go for flight surgeon and could possibly see myself going for the whole 20 years. I'm also in the HPSP program, however, USUHS is still my first choice. My stats are 3.6 for overall GPA, 3.3 for science GPA, and an MCAT of 30 (verbal 13, Physical 8, and biological 9). I have a sizeable amount of EC's, volunteering, shadowing experiences with several doctors including Air Force flight surgeons, an awesome military focused personal statement, and excellent LOR's from both my Air Force ROTC commanders and the Army ROTC commander (I do additionally training with the Army for more field experience). The thing that worries me the most is the lateness of my interview date - January 5. I was originally scheduled for Dec. 8, but am unable to go due to family obligations. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in or is making the waitlist the best I can look forward to? Also, should I go in my ROTC uniform? I think I look pretty spiffy in it... :cool:

I was in your same position last year. I was offered an interview spot on 9 Dec, but had to push it back to 24 Jan. My GPA was a little higher, but my MCAT was a touch lower, so I'd say it evens out academically. One thing to keep in mind, is that many of the spots will have already been filled (particularly the AF - or so I've heard) But, the waitlists move ALOT at USUHS, so being on the waitlist is not a bad thing at all (That's what happened to me) Now, as far as the waitlist is concerned, it definitely matters how you rank services. (Obviously your situation may be different with an AFROTC commitment) Let's say you write down no preference....if they decided that they want you, they'll offer you a spot that's open or put you on the waitlist until a spot opens with no regard to service. Now if you rank services (for example Af 1, Army 2, Navy 3 and PHS 4) You will ONLY be placed on the AF waitlist. (Waitlists by the way are ordered by how much they want you, and not necessarily when you were offered a spot.) Now it is possible that they would call and offer you a spot in one of the other services, but only if they blew through everyone else on their waitlist. Therefore, you're best chance of getting a spot is to place Army first (if a class spot is more important than branch to you), because they have the most spots, fill up the slowest and tend to have lots of movement on the waitlist. Of course, this is just a generality and the dynamics of this change every year. If you have any questions, post here or pm me, or search some of my posts from last year.

JOE

Members don't see this ad :)
Nylesor said:

You might want to rethink your goals in this process. If your goal is to be a doctor in the Air Force, HPSP might be a better way to go. If going to schools at USUHS is the goal, then you might want to put down Army as your service choice.

I'm already on HPSP with the Air Force. I'd love to be able to do both Air Force and USUHS though...we'll see.

JMPeffer said:
You might want to rethink your goals in this process. If your goal is to be a doctor in the Air Force, HPSP might be a better way to go. If going to schools at USUHS is the goal, then you might want to put down Army as your service choice.

Nylesor said:

Air Force fills up quickly, but the waitlist has the reputation for movement. Basically your numbers are good, but it is late, so who knows. You just gotta do your best at the interview and hope!

DEFINITELY wear your uniform. A female ROTC cadet I interviewed with didn't wear hers and was specifically told that she should have. They encourage it. Everyone with a current military role wore their uniform (except the one cadet and she regretted not, I think).

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely wear it. My only concern is whether I need to follow all the customs and courtesies while in it, like saluting everyone on campus, including the interviewers...if anyone knows that answer to this, please let me know. I don't want to make a bad impression. Also, how late am I in the cycle? I'm exactly in the middle of the interview schedule, so don't know what that means. Does that mean everyone interviewing now and after me are interviewing just for the waitlist? Also, is there anything I can do to boost my chances (other than going Army or Navy...)? Thanks.

MoosePilot said:
Air Force fills up quickly, but the waitlist has the reputation for movement. Basically your numbers are good, but it is late, so who knows. You just gotta do your best at the interview and hope!

DEFINITELY wear your uniform. A female ROTC cadet I interviewed with didn't wear hers and was specifically told that she should have. They encourage it. Everyone with a current military role wore their uniform (except the one cadet and she regretted not, I think).

Nylesor said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely wear it. My only concern is whether I need to follow all the customs and courtesies while in it, like saluting everyone on campus, including the interviewers...if anyone knows that answer to this, please let me know. I don't want to make a bad impression. Also, how late am I in the cycle? I'm exactly in the middle of the interview schedule, so don't know what that means. Does that mean everyone interviewing now and after me are interviewing just for the waitlist? Also, is there anything I can do to boost my chances (other than going Army or Navy...)? Thanks.

The area between the four major USUHS building is defined as a no-hat/no-salute area. If you see a superior officer outside that area while outside, you should salute him.

As far as customs and courtesies while inside, I dithered about reporting in a military manner, "Sir, Capt Moosepilot reports as ordered.". I was on PTDY orders from my commander, so I could semi-justify that, but it still seemed dorky beyond belief, especially since the rooms are tiny and my voice, when used for stock military phrases always seems to assume the volume I was trained to use in field training which is super-loud. So I didn't and got in.

Any other questions I can help you with?

As far as saluting everyone and reporting in official military style, don't do it. Once you're on the school grounds, no one salutes. Your interviewers will either be docs or MSIV's and they won't expect that sort of thing. The only time we're that formal around here is when flag officers visit. Relax, show them you can be a good doc, and don't worry too much about military customs and courtesies until you graduate.

grumbo said:
As far as saluting everyone and reporting in official military style, don't do it. Once you're on the school grounds, no one salutes. Your interviewers will either be docs or MSIV's and they won't expect that sort of thing. The only time we're that formal around here is when flag officers visit. Relax, show them you can be a good doc, and don't worry too much about military customs and courtesies until you graduate.

Sorry. They've just drilled those custom and courtesies well into me during my four years of ROTC I guess...Sir. :oops:

grumbo said:

That's because it's designated as a no-hat/no-salute area. The OP is trained as a cadet. Don't undermine his training. There's a reason doctors are often frowned on for being lax as far as customs and courtesies. Transcending that can only be a good thing.

In other words, you're saying the right thing (which makes sense as a student), but for the wrong reason.

Nylesor said:
The thing that worries me the most is the lateness of my interview date - January 5. I was originally scheduled for Dec. 8, but am unable to go due to family obligations. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in or is making the waitlist the best I can look forward to? Also, should I go in my ROTC uniform? I think I look pretty spiffy in it... :cool:
Hate to break it to you, but you are probably SOL for this year. I interviewed 1st week in January in 2005 with similar scores and got the old, "you were recommended for acceptance, but we are out of slots, yadda yadda" spiel. And for the record, I was USAF Academy grad, 11 years active duty USAF (5 in the line, 6 in the BSC) AND a graduate degree (MPH) from USUHS !!!!! Needless to say, I am currently attending a different medical school. Like I have mentioned in other threads, you could be a CMOH recipient and still be SOL if they run out of slots in your service of preference. Sorry kiddo, better luck next year.
I REPEAT FOR THE HARD OF HEARING: IF YOU WISH TO APPLY TO USUHS, SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY, SECURITY APPLICATION (SF-82), AND MEDICAL AT THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE DATE, NOT A DAY LATER.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Hate to break it to you, but you are probably SOL for this year. I interviewed 1st week in January in 2005 with similar scores and got the old, "you were recommended for acceptance, but we are out of slots, yadda yadda" spiel. And for the record, I was USAF Academy grad, 11 years active duty USAF (5 in the line, 6 in the BSC) AND a graduate degree (MPH) from USUHS !!!!! Needless to say, I am currently attending a different medical school. Like I have mentioned in other threads, you could be a CMOH recipient and still be SOL if they run out of slots in your service of preference. Sorry kiddo, better luck next year.
I REPEAT FOR THE HARD OF HEARING: IF YOU WISH TO APPLY TO USUHS, SUBMIT YOUR SECONDARY, SECURITY APPLICATION (SF-82), AND MEDICAL AT THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE DATE, NOT A DAY LATER.

Quick question about that. I finished my Security stuff for ROTC. Does my commissioning physical at MEPS count for the medical, or do I need to get my DODMERB done again (last time it was in 2002). Also, why do they bother to continue interviewing when all the spots are filled? It seems a bit unfair to raise people's hopes like that. Either way, if I don't get accepted to USUHS, I'm probably gonna go DO. I like the hands on stuff and the less I can medicate the pilots as a flight surgeon and disqualify them, the better. My only concern is that I won't get adequate military training during my four years in medical school like I would in USUHS, such as setting up a field hospital, etc. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
That's because it's designated as a no-hat/no-salute area. The OP is trained as a cadet. Don't undermine his training. There's a reason doctors are often frowned on for being lax as far as customs and courtesies. Transcending that can only be a good thing.

In other words, you're saying the right thing (which makes sense as a student), but for the wrong reason.

I understand what you're saying. Army docs have the most jacked up looking barrets and the worst shined boots of any soldiers, and generally don't know the customs and courtesies of the military. Part of that is because they were never told what's right and part of it is they don't care. Most of us never went through a basic training that emphisized all of the little things that you should be doing. OBC taught us some things, but many things were overlooked because there is simply not enough time. I've had to learn many military courtesies from my father (retired E7) and the prior service guys just by asking questions. Thankfully, the Army's switching to the ACU and we won't have to worry about shining boots or ironing uniforms. That way, docs can somewhat blend in more with the regular army guys. With that being said, some students here got a real eye opening experience during their summer after MSI, when they went out and spent time with non-medical units at different bases. As a 2LT at USUHS talking to an 06 is not that big of a deal compared to talking with captains and majors in normal units. It all comes down to responsibility I guess. A line officer has many more men under him than a doc does. A major in the medical community might be responsible for a department or a small clinic. A major on the line is responsible for a battalion. I think I'm done rambling from my non-experienced position as an MSII (stupid finals always make me procrastinate more and post on forums more. It seems I'd do anything to avoid studying).

I'm not suggesting the OP come scrap military ettiquette and simply become a sloppy doc, I'm just saying it's not necessary to go over the top. During the interviews I saw when I interviewed, and the ones I saw this year and last year, the interviewer will invite the applicant into the room and all that is expected is a "good afternoon sir."

grumbo said:
I understand what you're saying. Army docs have the most jacked up looking barrets and the worst shined boots of any soldiers, and generally don't know the customs and courtesies of the military. Part of that is because they were never told what's right and part of it is they don't care. Most of us never went through a basic training that emphisized all of the little things that you should be doing. OBC taught us some things, but many things were overlooked because there is simply not enough time. I've had to learn many military courtesies from my father (retired E7) and the prior service guys just by asking questions. Thankfully, the Army's switching to the ACU and we won't have to worry about shining boots or ironing uniforms. That way, docs can somewhat blend in more with the regular army guys. With that being said, some students here got a real eye opening experience during their summer after MSI, when they went out and spent time with non-medical units at different bases. As a 2LT at USUHS talking to an 06 is not that big of a deal compared to talking with captains and majors in normal units. It all comes down to responsibility I guess. A line officer has many more men under him than a doc does. A major in the medical community might be responsible for a department or a small clinic. A major on the line is responsible for a battalion. I think I'm done rambling from my non-experienced position as an MSII (stupid finals always make me procrastinate more and post on forums more. It seems I'd do anything to avoid studying).

I'm not suggesting the OP come scrap military ettiquette and simply become a sloppy doc, I'm just saying it's not necessary to go over the top. During the interviews I saw when I interviewed, and the ones I saw this year and last year, the interviewer will invite the applicant into the room and all that is expected is a "good afternoon sir."

Yeah, I agree with you, there.

There are so many power shifts through a lifetime. I'm an aircraft commander. A couple years ago, I had a USUHS student rotate through. She was on my plane to get some flying experience. When I matriculate, she'll be an upperclassman (I think an MS4 or graduated). Weird.

Nylesor said:
Quick question about that. I finished my Security stuff for ROTC. Does my commissioning physical at MEPS count for the medical, or do I need to get my DODMERB done again (last time it was in 2002). Also, why do they bother to continue interviewing when all the spots are filled? It seems a bit unfair to raise people's hopes like that. Either way, if I don't get accepted to USUHS, I'm probably gonna go DO. I like the hands on stuff and the less I can medicate the pilots as a flight surgeon and disqualify them, the better. My only concern is that I won't get adequate military training during my four years in medical school like I would in USUHS, such as setting up a field hospital, etc. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

My security clearance was fine, they just looked it up in the system. So if you've already got an investigation active or it's complete, they won't make you redo it.

I'm not sure about the physical. Ask the question. I did and DoDMERB looked at whether they could use my physical, but it had apparently been too many years since I'd had the right kind of physical.

:: Looks up from his Biochem and clinical head and neck text books after just having taken a final in Anatomy and asks, "You sure you want to do this to yourself?":: :laugh:

Nylesor said:
1. I think the DoDMERB has to be within the last 12mo prior to matriculation (not 100% sure though).
2. Re. the interview slots, not sure why they do it that way, but many schools engage in the same practice.
3. Dont' worry so much about the military training. You will get most of it all over again once you get to your first assignment. As a third or fourth year, most schools will give you one or two "audition" rotations. You should be able to take these at BAMC or Wright-Pat or wherever all the USAF residencies go once Wilford Hall gets gutted. However, I've heard USUHS grads do get a preference for military residency spots.
4. D.O. is a good route, but I never had any of my osteopathic docs do any OMT on me. I think the production requirements of Tricare and the time required to do proper OMT make that option impractical most of the time.
5. Good luck!

UCBShocker said:
:: Looks up from his Biochem and clinical head and neck text books after just having taken a final in Anatomy and asks, "You sure you want to do this to yourself?":: :laugh:

What about that awesome military studies test? I heard that one was scheduled perfectly not to interfere with your other tests.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
4. D.O. is a good route, but I never had any of my osteopathic docs do any OMT on me. I think the production requirements of Tricare and the time required to do proper OMT make that option impractical most of the time.
5. Good luck!

Yeah, I've never had OMT/OMM performed on me. I could prescribe the standard flight doc cocktail.

Entex and/or Motrin, sometimes with a side order of sterile saline to help clear the crud.

MoosePilot said:
Yeah, I've never had OMT/OMM performed on me. I could prescribe the standard flight doc cocktail.

Entex and/or Motrin, sometimes with a side order of sterile saline to help clear the crud.

Well, I don't think the pilots would complain if I gave them backrubs, would they? (I'm a female btw) ;)

Nylesor said:
Well, I don't think the pilots would complain if I gave them backrubs, would they? (I'm a female btw) ;)

I don't think we would, no. I think there are increasing demands for "production", though, so you'd have a tough time to do it in the 15 minutes you have available. I'm sure they'd be willing to come in after hours, though :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
What about that awesome military studies test? I heard that one was scheduled perfectly not to interfere with your other tests.

... lets never speak of that test again. :mad:

UCBShocker said:
... lets never speak of that test again. :mad:

:(

Not a surprise, though. I had Col Craig as one of my interviewers. He was interesting.

MoosePilot said:
:(

Not a surprise, though. I had Col Craig as one of my interviewers. He was interesting.

...You're certainly going to have an 'interesting' time in that class. Ahh well, the last class did about the same on this test and all did pretty well by the end, so we will see what happens.

UCBShocker said:
...You're certainly going to have an 'interesting' time in that class. Ahh well, the last class did about the same on this test and all did pretty well by the end, so we will see what happens.

Yes, I thought I'd enjoy that class, but after I attended a session with DrYo and realized that I'd have to learn about things like the USS Comfort, which are pretty much totally irrelevant to my future, I dropped that notion. I don't know if you were at that class, but the main thing I noticed was that the lecturer was another interesting guy.

Ya... I was "there"... gotta love them quotes.

So I was talking with the Army Colonel with the Army ROTC detachment I cross train with (just a reminder I'm Air Force ROTC) and she talked with some contacts at USUHS about the whole branch quota thing. She confirmed that Air Force does fill up quickly, but for some reason, Army hasn't been filling up its quota the past few years. So does this mean they will open more spots to the other branches? Also, anyone here who interviewed later on the cycle and get in as Air Force? (I already got into another med school btw, but still would love USUHS. And I owe like 8 years from ROTC and the HPSP scholarship, so the time commitment is the same anyway.)

Nylesor said:
So I was talking with the Army Colonel with the Army ROTC detachment I cross train with (just a reminder I'm Air Force ROTC) and she talked with some contacts at USUHS about the whole branch quota thing. She confirmed that Air Force does fill up quickly, but for some reason, Army hasn't been filling up its quota the past few years. So does this mean they will open more spots to the other branches? Also, anyone here who interviewed later on the cycle and get in as Air Force? (I already got into another med school btw, but still would love USUHS. And I owe like 8 years from ROTC and the HPSP scholarship, so the time commitment is the same anyway.)

not sure about your intel. while the airforce does fill its billets quicker (God knows why, with the state of AF hospitals, clinics, and GME), my class is the same composition (about 67/50/50 A/AF/N) as previous years, and I know a number of my fellow army classmates languished on the army waitlist. the seats in the class are based on the needs of each service, and i doubt the army is willing to give up a future doc that it needs to the AF which doesn't think it needs that futue doc.

and I am pretty sure your time commitment would be longer, as I believe USUHS commitment (7 years) is added to any ROTC/Acad commitment. I'm not positive on this one, as I paid my commitment before heading to USUHS.....

deegs said:
and I am pretty sure your time commitment would be longer, as I believe USUHS commitment (7 years) is added to any ROTC/Acad commitment. I'm not positive on this one, as I paid my commitment before heading to USUHS.....

eh. I figured if I go to USUHS, it's for a career. But if what you say is true, it's a moot point as the AF spots are filled.

Nylesor said:
eh. I figured if I go to USUHS, it's for a career. But if what you say is true, it's a moot point as the AF spots are filled.

Air force took me in May... there is always a chance.

UCBShocker said:
Air force took me in May... there is always a chance.

Wow. I love you. Thanks for sharing! Just curious, what were your stats (or whatever else) that got you accepted? (45 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, a couple years of service? :p ) Also, was it off the waitlist? Thanks!

Nylesor said:
Wow. I love you. Thanks for sharing! Just curious, what were your stats (or whatever else) that got you accepted? (45 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, a couple years of service? :p ) Also, was it off the waitlist? Thanks!

46 actually =).... I interviewed on December 9th, they told me around february that AF was full and gave me a different service but I opted for the waitlist, so ya I was accepted off of that. Dont worry about the stats because one thing I learned about the process is that they dont mean squat unless they are really really high or really low and I was neither. The average for my class was around 30mcat and 3.5 I think. There is always a chance but if you dont get in this year there is always next year. One of my lab partners had to try a couple times to get in, lots of people do, and it speaks nothing to your intelligence or who you are as a person. Applying to medical school is... random. Best of luck to you!

UCBShocker said:
46 actually =).... I interviewed on December 9th, they told me around february that AF was full and gave me a different service but I opted for the waitlist, so ya I was accepted off of that. Dont worry about the stats because one thing I learned about the process is that they dont mean squat unless they are really really high or really low and I was neither. The average for my class was around 30mcat and 3.5 I think. There is always a chance but if you dont get in this year there is always next year. One of my lab partners had to try a couple times to get in, lots of people do, and it speaks nothing to your intelligence or who you are as a person. Applying to medical school is... random. Best of luck to you!

Do they tell you where you are on the waitlist? And is there anything you can do to make it move faster similar to other schools? Like sending letters of intent and calling or will that just annoy them?

Nylesor said:
Do they tell you where you are on the waitlist? And is there anything you can do to make it move faster similar to other schools? Like sending letters of intent and calling or will that just annoy them?

Well calling wont help. I have been getting to know some of the people that answer the phones there and they are pretty annoyed by all the calls they get. You got to remember there are alot of applicants and when they all call for status it can get frustrating. The waitlist usually moves pretty fast regardless. There really isnt much you can do, I would say just relax and take things as they come. I wish I could follow my own advice on that one.

UCBShocker said:
Well calling wont help. I have been getting to know some of the people that answer the phones there and they are pretty annoyed by all the calls they get. You got to remember there are alot of applicants and when they all call for status it can get frustrating. The waitlist usually moves pretty fast regardless. There really isnt much you can do, I would say just relax and take things as they come. I wish I could follow my own advice on that one.

Man, being on the waitlist must be frustrating, but so is being "conditionally" accepted and waiting for a physical waiver. I'm so close to accepted and yet so far. Despite the fact that I'm in good enough shape to fly planes for the Air Force (probably the most restrictive physical exam in the Air Force except maybe for some combat controller types), but unless I get this waiver, I will remain physically unqualified to perform outpatient medicine in some little Air Force clinic. Maybe they're worried about deploying me? Wait, I just did that two weeks ago, so that can't be it... :mad: :mad: :mad:

MoosePilot said:
Man, being on the waitlist must be frustrating, but so is being "conditionally" accepted and waiting for a physical waiver. I'm so close to accepted and yet so far. Despite the fact that I'm in good enough shape to fly planes for the Air Force (probably the most restrictive physical exam in the Air Force except maybe for some combat controller types), but unless I get this waiver, I will remain physically unqualified to perform outpatient medicine in some little Air Force clinic. Maybe they're worried about deploying me? Wait, I just did that two weeks ago, so that can't be it... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am sure it will work out, it cant be that bad. Waivers are given all the time.

UCBShocker said:
I am sure it will work out, it cant be that bad. Waivers are given all the time.

Yeah, but boy it's so unnecessary.