USUHS: Time from interview it takes to get a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjhollin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just interviewed at USUHS last Thursday and I was wondering about how long it took them to get a decision back to you. I know they said 6 to 8 weeks, but I wanted to know if they just said that to keep people from pestering them soon after they interview. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is another thread about this specific question. For me, it took about 5 weeks until they accepted me (I called them), but I am still waiting for my snail mail acceptance.

Jetson

Well it has been almost 13 weeks since I interviewed and I usually call on Friday mornings to ask them about my status. They usually tell me a final decision has not been made but I should hear something in a week or two. Has anyone else been waiting this long? Have people that have interviewed Nov 21st or later heard anything? I wish they would just tell me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry too much...

Last year I interviewed on 19 Nov and was notified of my rejection in May. Sometimes the wheels of the government turn slowly.

This year I interviewed on 5 Dec and was waitlisted on 14 Feb. I called them and was told a letter should be arriving within the week.

Hope this helps.

Cyndi

Does anyone know if there's a particular day(s) of the week when the committee meets to discuss the applications / vote on who gets accepted / waitlisted?

Also, do they send physical exam forms to everyone that interviews? I called in advance for mine because I previously thought that if a PE wasn't done w/in 2 wks of the interview, then that would mean deactivation of your file.

Also, did any of you send thank-you notes to your interviewers? I didn't have a specific address to send them to, so I just sent them c/o the admissions office. I know the interviewers don't have much say in the whole process apart from the report they write up after the interview, but it would be good to keep bridges open in case one does get accepted and attends and gets to know these people (at least I think so).

I dunno if this comforts you any, jjhollin, but as far as I've been told, interviewees have about a 1/3 acceptance rate. As in, the numbers ROUGHLY are: 490 interviewed, 280 offered acceptance, 167 matriculate. Just curious, so, they haven't given you ANY word whatsoever, even to let you know you're on the waiting list?

Anyway, good luck!!! :)

Natalie- the ad com meets on Thursdays. Everyone that interviews does take the DoDMERB physical. And no, I did not send thank you letters to my interviewers, but I did send one to my student host.

The motto in the military is "hurry up and wait." The same goes for the ad com at USUHS. Don't worry. They will not forget anyone, but sometimes the military is sluggish (for lack of a better word) in bureaucratic processes. Remember that the docs that interviewed you may have your file with them for a while before even submitting it to the ad office.

Cyndi

I interviewd on November 14 and did not hear back until 10 weeks later. I did call and found out that letter had been sent. Got emails from USAREC (army) before getting letter! Would have been awkward if hadn't called.

I sent thank-you letters because I like to do so, and the interview were very enjoyable. (I also have a card maker on computer and like making "personal" cards--cards that relate to situation or personal tastes/occupations etc)

As cdreed said--yes, Army/ military policy seems to be "Hurry up and wait".
I had to send in remedials to DoDMERB a month ago, still no word. I hurt my knee in Army training, and now it is causing difficulties. Yet, HPSP contracting is coming up, along with needing to procure orders for ROTC commissioning.....Needless to say, I am waiting at mercy of government.
But patience it a virture--especially in military. If you have a spot at another school, take it and hold it until you recieve and unconditional.

I hear that USUHS many are waitlisted, but the waitlist moves rather fast. Many people hold an acceptance at both USUHS (no deposit) and another school. Many do not want to make committment, or decide they rather have civilian training. USUHS is better for those who want a career in military rather than just experience, so many realize this and withdraw spot. So--have faith! If you are waitlisted there is high chance. According to USUHS interview material, if waitlisted, you have been accepted, just currently no spot in class. ( But will very likely be one). Alternate is more like waitlist. If alternate, once waitlist is depleted, then go alternate.

Best luck to all! Go ARMY! Hope to see some of you this summer-whether USUHS or HPSP (Army).