UT-Austin and NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering how good UT-Austin is for pre-med. I'm an instate resident, and I love the UT System med schools. Somewhere, I heard that 60% of UT grads get accepted to atleast 1 med school. Is this true? My other choice for college is NYU. Does anyone know what percentage of applicants from NYU get accepted to med school? Also, how are the environments at each school (laid-back, no competition or Hopkins cutthroat)?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To tell you the truth I do not trust the stats that colleges give out (e.g. 60% of our pre-meds get accepted). For all you know only 10 people applied to medical school that year from that school. You see many pre-med advisors only persuade the top students to apply while persuading other pre-meds to wait another year to improve their applications. This way they improve their stats.

I do not think it makes a huge difference which school you choose as long as you do well in your courses and MCATs. Good Luck!

b-real --

I say go with UT-Austin. I'm assuming that you're a Texas resident, so the cost differential is tremendous. But even without considering the cost, I think UT would prepare you for med school just as well as NYU. UT and A&M make up the majority of incoming students at all of the UT-System med schools, so you'll have an advantage there. Plus, the pre-med advisors will be very familiar with the Texas application service, and you'll probably have many friends who have gone through or will be going through the same process. Even if you want to apply out-of-state, I think UT has a good reputation. Plus, Austin is a great city (pretty laid back) and is probably a lot closer to home for you. Just my input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your situation 5 years ago (grew up in TX) and opted to go out of state only because everyone I knew was going to UT. You will get a great education at both UT and NYU. If money is not an object, I say go out of state and see another part of the country. NYC is an amazing place! The only thing you need to be careful of is losing your TX residency. If you want to apply to TX med schools you MUST remain a resident. You would become a NY resident if you get a NY driver's license and work full-time in NY for a calendar year after graduation.

Thanks to all who replied! Medigirl, I'm just curious, are you going / did you go to a UT system med school?

GO LONGHORNS!

But seriously, you have a tough shot there. A good percentage of my medical school class (at Texas Tech) went to UT Austin. I, myself, went out of state and kept my Texas residency. And I'm glad I got out of state because I had many wonderful experiences that I would not have enjoyed if I accepted that offer to attend UT-Austin. So, it's really up to you and what you want.

Hey breal:

60% pre-meds accepted to med school is a completely believable number. Nationwide 38,000 students apply for 16,000 spots, or 42% acceptance overall. At good schools, 60% is common. At top undergrads, the percentage can be as high as 80% or even higher.

Hey b-real,

Yep, I got into UTHSC-San Antonio and will be starting my 1st year this fall. I'm moving out of Seattle (came up here for undergrad) in three weeks (*sniff*). Back to the Texas summer heat!

Medigirl :rolleyes:

Being a life-long Sooner fan, I can't believe I'm telling you this, but if I was in your position, I'd go to UT Austin. It has a great reputation and you'll have access to an endless supply of Texas medical schools!
Can't wait for football season..Way to go, Sooners!!!