UT-Houston Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome to UT Houston and congrats! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Did you guys get an email yet concerning "MDSpace for the Class of 2010"?

Its a website the current MS I class created to post self intros so you guys can read a little something about each other and about us before retreat. Check it out here:

http://web.mac.com/mikiebaik/iWeb/MD Space/Welcome.html

It just went up 2 days ago so not a whole lot of profiles are up yet, but they are coming in. Please submit as soon as you can with the following info:

-Name
-A picture/pictures of yourself
-hometown
-undergrad institution
-undergrad major
-favorite cereal
-if you would be interested in finding a roommate.
-Anything else you would like us to know. Check the class of 2009 profiles if you need inspiration.

Submit guys! The website is only as good as the number of profiles on there. There is a link to my email address on the welcome page, mail your self intros as a WORD file. Thanks.

P.S. And for the sake of everyone, fellas, no shirtless pictures please, you'll have plenty of opportunities to show that off at retreat. Thanks.

If anyone is interested in or planning to move to the maroneal apartments (can't get any closer to school than these...and there's a free bus that picks you up and takes you to school in five minutes) I have a deal for you~~~

if you sign a lease and put my name down as a referral I will get one month of rent free. Of course I will split the money with you so you get free money!!!

so, if you are already planning on living there or are interested in finding more about it, PM me.

free money is always good....

keberson :D

Members don't see this ad :)
pidro said:
I haven't heard of a loan but I heard about discounts on laptops...but either they stopped that or they haven't renewed the contract b/c the link on the school's website won't allow me to order one. BTW, this is my first post and I'm Chris, 22 from Texas A&M, lived in Arlington, TX for 2 years, Las Vegas before that, so I'm looking forward to being in a big city again!

Hope everyone had a great time during Welcome Weekend even though it was just a small taste of what's in store for us. Anyway, is anyone here doing the Pre-Entry program? Any Navy/Army/Air Force HPSPers in this thread? I'm in the Navy program.

PS: is this Kevin I met in WW?

i'll be at preentry...but as a tutor. I went last year as an incoming it was very helpful. PM if you have questions!

Does anyone know when we should be getting information about financial aid from the school?

Do people usually bring their spouses/sig. others? My husband says he'll go but doesn't want to be the only non-med student there. Thanks!

Is anyone from upstate NY in the class of 2010?

Walter (Paul) Goebel

skytrash said:
Is anyone from upstate NY in the class of 2010?

Walter (Paul) Goebel

No, but my roommate and I live in NYC!

So, I called the financial aid office today to get an idea about when we should expect to receive our financial aid packages. It feels like every other school in the universe has released them. A couple months ago they told me May, but now they say JULY.

Are you kidding, JULY? Has anyone else heard otherwise?

halo1570 said:
So, I called the financial aid office today to get an idea about when we should expect to receive our financial aid packages. It feels like every other school in the universe has released them. A couple months ago they told me May, but now they say JULY.

Are you kidding, JULY? Has anyone else heard otherwise?

I recant my previous post, I received my award notification in the mail today. Perhaps, she didn't understand my question, even though I clarified twice.

karirunner said:
Do people usually bring their spouses/sig. others? My husband says he'll go but doesn't want to be the only non-med student there. Thanks!

Last year, there were lots of SO's of students and faculty. It's really nice for them to get a feel for what you're about to go through, meet your classmates, be in on some of the jokes..

So yeah, bring your SO~

Just curious, did anyone receive a sum greater than $3,000 for the Texas Public Education Grant?

I was wondering if this was due to lack of merit on my part or perhaps b/c UT-H waits forever to give us our finan aid packages. I turned in my FAFSA in January, so it can't be b/c I waited too long.

My friends who are attending UT-SW got $5,000 apiece. Your input would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my aid stuff today. 3k for me too.

does anyone know if UT-Houston has a financial aid appeal process?

my income on my 2005 tax return was relatively high and the fafsa computed my expected family contribution to cover 2/3 of tuition and living expenses, but there is no way that I can cover that. Unfortunately, the fafsa does not take into account the fact that I won't work during med school.

I contacted the fin aid office, but they claim there isn't an appeal process. I also contacted the fafsa folks and they claim that every school should have an appeal process because my situation is not unique. Most of the other Texas schools I spoke to do have appeal processes. Can anyone offer some advice on what to do in this situation?

By the way, I spoke to my fin aid advisor twice and unfortunately, she didn't offer much help.

Any advice/help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had that same problem last year. I got the max amount of loans they allow which is more than enough to cover school and live on (around $32,000). As far as i know no one was denied the full amount of loans to be able to go to school and pay for living. You may not be as eligible for need based grants which is the sucky part.

hv1 said:
does anyone know if UT-Houston has a financial aid appeal process?

my income on my 2005 tax return was relatively high and the fafsa computed my expected family contribution to cover 2/3 of tuition and living expenses, but there is no way that I can cover that. Unfortunately, the fafsa does not take into account the fact that I won't work during med school.

I contacted the fin aid office, but they claim there isn't an appeal process. I also contacted the fafsa folks and they claim that every school should have an appeal process because my situation is not unique. Most of the other Texas schools I spoke to do have appeal processes. Can anyone offer some advice on what to do in this situation?

By the way, I spoke to my fin aid advisor twice and unfortunately, she didn't offer much help.

Any advice/help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everyone -

I just made it in off the wait list today! My name is Ryan, and I'm 22. I did my undergrad at Texas Tech. I'm really happy to be here, and I can't wait to meet you guys in August. UT-H was my first choice. :thumbup:

Best wishes, pals!

~R

Hey y'all,

Congrats to those getting in off the waitlist. Hope we'll hear some more good stories soon.

On another note, graduation brought me a second copy of Iserson's Getting Into A Residency (5th Edition). I'd love to sell it and pass a copy on to a classmate. In the few months I've spent perusing my copy, I've found it very useful tool for charting the road ahead—how to select a residency, how to lay the groundwork for the next match, what's most important about the next three years and what can slide a little, etc. I imagine that many of the third and fourth years lurking on this thread would also attest to the value of this book from the other send of the spectrum.

The copy for sale has some extremely slight scuffing on the cover and a few (no more than 15) pages with some underlining—all from the previous owner. The 7th edition of Iserson's is coming out in the fall, but don't let this fact deter you; my mother (who purchased the second copy independently) called the publisher and they said that nothing's changing save maybe the information about relative competitiveness between specialties. But these rates will modulate even more over the next four years, so we'll all need new information by the time fourth year rolls along anyway. Thus buy now and get a good first map for the journey ahead.

The price is $25 and I'll hold it open until midnight central Tuesday night. Standard USPS or UPS shipping free.

PM me if you're interested. Otherwise it'll be on eBay on Wednesday.

Regards,
Dr. Chekhov

Has anyone lived away from the med center (i.e. Katy, Sugar Land, etc.) while attending school? If yes, can you offer some advice on which of the following commute options is the best:

1) parking your car at a park & ride near home and riding the metro to the med center
2) purchasing a parking contract at the Smithlands parking lot and riding the TMC shuttle or light rail to school
3) purchasing a parking contract to park at TMC garage #7 (on John Freeman next to the Methodist hospital)

I'm sure that a lot of you reading this post would advise that I live closer to school, but due to some constraints, I need to live in the suburbs for at least my first year.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just a quick congrats to all the incoming students at UT-Houston. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] for any questions!

-Paul
Class of 2008

Anyone know if any enterprising students have figured out a way to get the class lecture videos on an iPod?

Thanks.

I know you can get the audio portion onto a regular Ipod (just record the WMV and convert audio to an MP3), and I imagine a Video Ipod could handle the full thing.

Do you guys have any advice on health insurance, like what company/plan ya'll use, i'm really doubting the one they offer with the school through mega life.

tismfu said:
Anyone know if any enterprising students have figured out a way to get the class lecture videos on an iPod?

Thanks.
:laugh: Already planning ahead! I say, give the going-to-class thing a try, at least for a week :)

Even if it is viewable on an iPod, though, it might be really hard to see some details of a diagram or pathway on such a small screen. But I suppose it's not a bad idea to listen to the audio of a lecture while working out, riding the train, etc.

ppisklak said:
I know you can get the audio portion onto a regular Ipod (just record the WMV and convert audio to an MP3), and I imagine a Video Ipod could handle the full thing.
I don't have access to the class lectures, but assuming they're like any of the other videos posted on UTH's site, all you get is a 'starter' link which opens Windows Media Player and connects to the server to stream the video. Therefore, there's no way to save the video to your computer and then convert it to put on an iPod.

I'm not very savvy with computers, however, so I figured (and hoped) that someone more knowledgeable had discovered a way to do it.

OddNath said:
Even if it is viewable on an iPod, though, it might be really hard to see some details of a diagram or pathway on such a small screen.
I hadn't thought about that... good point.

OddNath said:
But I suppose it's not a bad idea to listen to the audio of a lecture while working out, riding the train, etc.
And I was also thinking it might be nice to queue up a specific lecture when studying in the library (but I guess since a laptop is mandatory...).

For everyone who was wondering about the laptop discounts...they are posted now. Under the list of requirements, there is a link. There are 2 different packages offered. The pricing expires on Aug. 31.

http://med.uth.tmc.edu/msit/students/laptop_requirements.htm

Also, since I know little about purchasing computers, a suggestion about which one to buy would be great!

leeann06 said:
For everyone who was wondering about the laptop discounts...they are posted now. Under the list of requirements, there is a link. There are 2 different packages offered. The pricing expires on Aug. 31.

http://med.uth.tmc.edu/msit/students/laptop_requirements.htm

Also, since I know little about purchasing computers, a suggestion about which one to buy would be great!

I'm guessing this is Lee Ann from A&M. Anyway, about computers, I have a Fujitsu N3530 80 GB Hard Drive, 512 mb RAM, 1.6 GHz Intel Duo, 256 MB Video Card, CD/DVD burner, wireless card, 15.4" widescreen. Cost me about $1400. Really expensive but that's because it includes a separate video card. Long story short it's built to play games and be a multimedia center, plus a desktop replacement. If you just need a laptop, my suggestion is get a dual processor (AMD or Intel, doesn't matter, AMD is cheaper though plus some are built for the new Windows OS, Vista). 2 processors is definitely better than 1 fast one. RAM is another consideration. Get at least 1 GB of memory. Almost all have wireless cards built in. CD/DVD burners are almost standard. Hard Drive space is not a problem since it's like Americans--keeps getting bigger and bigger. Pick one that's light and a long battery life. Bright screen if you have poor eyesight. The sizes range between ultraportables, tablets, midsized, and desktop replacements. Finally, the brand. HP's are great. The guy at Fry's told me that the best brand for laptops is Fujitsu. Dell's are good too but their customer service is horrible and they are the only one's that can fix them. Hope this helps.

Chris

Hey everybody - just want to introduce myself to the class. I am your official "that guy who got a last minute call off the waitlist." I'll be seeing ya'll in just a few weeks and figured I'd get on SDN to check out the scene.

I will be in Houston this coming weekend for a friend's wedding and need to find an apartment desperately! Any advice? I'd like it to be on the shuttle route to the med center. Let me know if someone needs an awesome roommate.

www.myspace.com/sitraachra

check me OUT!

-zach

Welcome to UT-H, SitraAchra! You, and all of your classmates, need to sign up for retreat if you haven't done so. Seriously. It will cost an extra $10 after this weekend (July 15), so send in the form soon. PM me if you can't find it~

It's a day and a half of your life that my class has been planning for months, trying to perfect every last detail and give you guys the welcome and information that you totally deserve. It wasn't until retreat last year when I realized.."hey, this school really is a good fit for me."

We can't wait to see you all there!

Hey everyone!

PLEASE let me know if I'm just being paranoid, but we haven't received any information about textbooks, have we?

I hope everyone's last few weeks of break are going great!

~R

Ryan - 1208 said:
Hey everyone!

PLEASE let me know if I'm just being paranoid, but we haven't received any information about textbooks, have we?

I hope everyone's last few weeks of break are going great!

~R
Haha, do *not* worry about this yet! Even if you do receive a list of "recommended" textbooks, you should talk to your 2nd year about which ones are actually helpful. Or you could ask right here on this forum.

Bottom line-- talk to your 2nd year! He may be willing to give you books, too~

Don't worry too much about textbooks yet. Your 2nd year will have some for you and some of them you won't need at all and it would be a huge waste of money to go out and buy every book on that list. Here are my suggestions:

buy the anatomy and biochem test IF AND ONLY IF you are a book reader and your 2nd year doesn't pass them on

The review book for devo: some of these questions are used on the exam (You can check it out of the LRC and dodge this as well)

You'll get a free Netter with your AMA membership so don't buy one. The Netter flash cards are very nice if you like that sort of thing.

I think a Rohen: actual photographs of dissected cadavers, is worth the money

BRS for anatomy and Biochem: these have board style finals so these are helpful at the end

I'd wait on the Bates for ICM: I didn't use mine

Don't buy the Histo book

Remember: you'll have way more resources than you can ever possibly get through and you can always buy a book in the middle of the semester so even though it goes against all of our type a tendencies... relax and procrastinate a little while longer. Good Luck!

Hey everybody! congrats to all who've been accepted, I'm just starting at UT AUSTIN (from houston) and I hope to go to UT-H for med school! If there are any current longhorns on here please give me some insight on resources here in austin... and have ANY of you heard of JAMP? I'm really anxious to hear from a JAMP student!

I just graduated from UT...what info would you like to know? First make sure you really want to do this by getting good grades in the pre-med classes and around your junior year you should know if it's for you. MCAT and all that jazz really weed out some folks but if you really want it, no one can stop you.