UT Houston input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rndmguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on UT Houston? I liked the facilities and residents but I am leary of the new PD and past accreditation problems. I'm not sure where to rank them and am looking for insight.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to know? I agree, I think they have excellent facilities (clean, modern, hi tech) for the volume they get.

I like (almost) everything about the prog which is why they are my #1. They have so much yet unrealized potential (good pt base, good location, good technology). They have a brand new PD from Cook County so we'll see.

That's just it: what was your feeling about the new PD? What about the chair? I got a great feeling from everything about the program besides those two individuals. I'm just not sure.

The other thing was the accreditation stuff they went through 5-6 years ago. I've yet to get a straight answer as to exactly what happened. Is the program now totally stable? Has their reputation sufferred any as a result? Should I even be concerned about this stuff?

Does the great facility, and cool residents outweigh all these things?

Members don't see this ad :)
I rotated at UT houston and actually really liked my rotation. Lots of young attendings that trained at excellent programs throughout the country and very willing to teach, great people, lots of technology and for those of you looking for lots of trauma, look out on the Trauma side on a Saturday night! From what I've gathered the accredidation issues surrounded some turf wars with Trauma that have been resolved. I do think this program has lots of potential and would be a really fun place to do residency and you'd come out with a great education. I don't know the new PD but if Dr. King is still chair, he's a great guy. Not many other hospitals where I interviewed had marble statues in the lobby either!

Originally posted by rndmguy
That's just it: what was your feeling about the new PD? What about the chair? I got a great feeling from everything about the program besides those two individuals. I'm just not sure.

The other thing was the accreditation stuff they went through 5-6 years ago. I've yet to get a straight answer as to exactly what happened. Is the program now totally stable? Has their reputation sufferred any as a result? Should I even be concerned about this stuff?

Does the great facility, and cool residents outweigh all these things?

My feeling is that with the new PD, there is a shift from laid back attitude to increasingly scholarly and competative. I think this will lead to a more competative and better rep-- which is what they want. Not sure if its what I want...

I don't know what the accredidation prob was, but it has totally been resolved-- the prog is very stable, but their rep will need to recover. I am not worried about it.

Mentioned earlier, I agree the chair is both sharp and an honest good guy.

The new ultrasound director rocks as well. :D

Hi. I'm a first-year resident in the Northeast who ranked Houston #2 last year but got my #1 choice up here.

In a word, UT-Houston freakin' rules. It's one of the best-kept secrets around. They only interview about 60 people a year, so if you got as far as that, you're in good shape.

The facilities are incredible, the faculty ultranice, and the training on par with the rest of the country.

People are scared off because of the accreditation problems of the late 90s (that is SO yesterday's news) and a visceral fear of living in Texas.

I can't speak for the rest of Texas, but living in Houston is wonderful. It's the fourth-largest city after NY, LA, and Chicago, and it boasts everything you'd want from a big city: art, music, EXCELLENT restaurants, ethnic diversity, choice apartments (but not at big-city prices) and a major international airport.

There's no good reason not to rank Houston highly unless you have a disdain for warm weather (which some people do).

There may be valid criticism of the program out there, but I don't know any. Please post if you do.

Good luck,
anonymous EM resident in NE

:clap: