UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was planning on walking, but I could pick you up if you need a ride. what time?

shoot me a facebook friend request (Jake M) so I know who to pick up in the morning. unless we're friends already, then remind me who you are. I've completely lost track of all SDN name/facebook face pairings.

You've outed yourself to the world! gasp! :)

I hope everyone had a fun at retreat!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a really good time. I'm glad I met most people there rather than in the gauntlet this week...

It was also a good way to see how cool our faculty is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I had a really good time. I'm glad I met most people there rather than in the gauntlet this week...

It was also a good way to see how cool our faculty is...

I was surpised at how much of a role they played in the sketches, even some of the edgier ones

So how have the first couple days been for everyone? Not too wigged out by schoolwork I hope?

So how have the first couple days been for everyone? Not too wigged out by schoolwork I hope?

I'd be lying if I wasn't a little intimidated by the volume of material. But I am confident in the system, the school, and myself... so all in all I'm just happy to finally be a med student.

Nah, it's alright so far. It hasn't quite gotten to the full volume, but I feel like that will come in the next couple of days once anatomy lab starts.

How have I not figured out who disarticulate is yet? I think I've met everyone else (except Invictusmaneo, but I have a good idea who he is)

haha, did I miss an SDN meet and greet or something? I'll wear a "DISARTICULATE" sign tomorrow. :)

Who was it I met in the book store? Sorry, I was a little bugged out, trying to convince Major's to let me return equipment when it was a pretty blatant violation of their policy (still got them to do it though). Also, I'm terrible with names, so I'll need a few tries.

As for the material, the volume is ridiculous. I think I'm going to like anatomy and ICM most, because there's a pretty clearly defined chunk of knowledge we need to have. Biochem/Histoy/Devo... not so much. I'm finding it hard to know what's important.

Who was it I met in the book store? Sorry, I was a little bugged out, trying to convince Major's to let me return equipment when it was a pretty blatant violation of their policy (still got them to do it though). Also, I'm terrible with names, so I'll need a few tries.

As for the material, the volume is ridiculous. I think I'm going to like anatomy and ICM most, because there's a pretty clearly defined chunk of knowledge we need to have. Biochem/Histoy/Devo... not so much. I'm finding it hard to know what's important.
I (Jake) was the one talking to you. We had met before, I just never put it all together. Tolip (Carl) was ahead of me in line.

Woohoo 8am biochem conference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I (Jake) was the one talking to you. We had met before, I just never put it all together. Tolip (Carl) was ahead of me in line.

Woohoo 8am biochem conference.

Ahh, ok. I'm terrible with names but I knew you looked familiar.

I had the 9 AM biochem conference. Not looking forward to swapping with groups 1-4 to be honest :laugh:

Nah, it's alright so far. It hasn't quite gotten to the full volume, but I feel like that will come in the next couple of days once anatomy lab starts.

How have I not figured out who disarticulate is yet? I think I've met everyone else (except Invictusmaneo, but I have a good idea who he is)

I don't think I know any of y'all yet (except briton), but that's not suprising considering I haven't been to class since tuesday and skipped on retreat. I'm Brian D; if you want to find out who I am bad enough then you can friend me from the facebook group.

Does anybody actually understand what's going on in ICM?

Tomorrow (Monday) we have some universal precautions test, right? But we don't need to bring anything?
And on Friday, some of us have orientation for the clinical skills session, apparently followed by the real vital signs session. We have to dress up (white coat, etc) and bring some printout to that skills session/orientation?

Does anybody actually understand what's going on in ICM?

Tomorrow (Monday) we have some universal precautions test, right? But we don't need to bring anything?
No.

I know there's a meeting tomorrow at 4 to get "trained" to do interview tours. I plan on being there.
"Training" is more than just perfunctory. My UTH tour guide said Dr. Debakey died "a few years ago" when giving the history of THI. :confused:

"Training" is more than just perfunctory. My UTH tour guide said Dr. Debakey died "a few years ago" when giving the history of THI. :confused:
I'm not sure I follow. Are the two related? Does it add some kind of significance to pointing out different areas of the school?

I'm not sure I follow. Are the two related? Does it add some kind of significance to pointing out different areas of the school?
I don't understand your question. Debakey died July 2008. My tour guide didn't know what the hell he was talking about. So he missed the "training" or didnt give a rats ass about it. Not a good impression on many of the interviewees. If you care enough to volunteer to give the tours, I suggest caring enough to learn the information they are trying to impart upon you. THI (and its history) was something specifically mentioned during tours last year. Is it different now?

I don't understand your question. Debakey died July 2008. My tour guide didn't know what the hell he was talking about. So he missed the "training" or didnt give a rats ass about it. Not a good impression on many of the interviewees. If you care enough to volunteer to give the tours, I suggest caring enough to learn the information they are trying to impart upon you. THI (and its history) was something specifically mentioned during tours last year. Is it different now?
My "training" was handing me a sheet of paper with information on it and telling us where to take them. In that sense, it wasn't really a "training," just a "memorize this stuff" session.

I'm not being flippant about needing to learn material or do a good job with the tour, I was emphasizing that it wasn't exactly a training session. Nobody has to teach you how to walk backwards and point things out, nor did they keep repeating information until we had it all down pat.

Agreed
Any factual errors on the tour were more than likely the fault of the tour guide. UTH relies on the motivation of (trusts) its students to represent their school well.

Honestly our school isn't even associated with DeBakey or THI so I don't know why we keep harping on that damn place in the tours. It's a little misleading.

Oh yeah, who are the second years here? I'm curious to know if I've met any of you so far...

If memory serves, I was on the orange team, and I spent roughly half my time in that stupid lab skinning the cadaver like some twisted hunter. I do recall the other team getting all the godawful turns, all the way through November.

I hate the orange team even more after today.

i was on white team and I think i'd take skinning over the brachial plexus any day. gah that was awful. i feel like we did our fair share of skinning if only bc we finished up the skinning that didn't get done the day before :)

though the ear i'm sure was crappy......sry orange kiddos :)

I am an Italian medical student and I am going to be in Houston for a two-month observership at Memorial Hermann during this summer (August-September). Could you please suggest me any accomodation options you know? It would be great for me to live in a student housing or something like that, 'cause I won't be in Houston only for learning. :) University housing should be the best for me, but I don't know whether I am eligible. If somebody is looking for a roommate, send me a private message.