Sep 15, 2017
I was recently doing some math trying to calculate how much medical school actually costs, and the answer is kind of surprising. Assuming a student needs to borrow $60k per year in medical school and pays off the loans five years after residency, the student will spend approximately $360,000 on medical school, even though they only borrowed $240,000. Interest adds up quick!

Soccer171983

living the dream
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
I was recently doing some math trying to calculate how much medical school actually costs, and the answer is kind of surprising. Assuming a student needs to borrow $60k per year in medical school and pays off the loans five years after residency, the student will spend approximately $360,000 on medical school, even though they only borrowed $240,000. Interest adds up quick!

That is not a surprising number. Depends if you have loans from undergrad as well which will pile on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: LikeDaniel

themightyquinn

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Assuming a student needs to borrow $60k per year in medical school and pays off the loans five years after residency, the student will spend approximately $360,000 on medical school, even though they only borrowed $240,000. Interest adds up quick!
And $60K a year is kind of on the low side...

About the Ads