How Much Does Medical School Actually Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Honey_Bear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently doing some math trying to calculate how much medical school actually costs, and the answer is kind of surprising. Assuming a student needs to borrow $60k per year in medical school and pays off the loans five years after residency, the student will spend approximately $360,000 on medical school, even though they only borrowed $240,000. Interest adds up quick!

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently doing some math trying to calculate how much medical school actually costs, and the answer is kind of surprising. Assuming a student needs to borrow $60k per year in medical school and pays off the loans five years after residency, the student will spend approximately $360,000 on medical school, even though they only borrowed $240,000. Interest adds up quick!

That is not a surprising number. Depends if you have loans from undergrad as well which will pile on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming a student needs to borrow $60k per year in medical school and pays off the loans five years after residency, the student will spend approximately $360,000 on medical school, even though they only borrowed $240,000. Interest adds up quick!

And $60K a year is kind of on the low side...