UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocPsychosis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for us in this forum, so here it is. A little late to the game, but whatever. I'll be happy to answer questions for interviewees, people considering our school, and new students, or just hang and shoot the bull. :cool:

By the way, I didn't feel like discriminating by class year like all the other jerks in this forum. Everyone is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
pasting this from another thread... any current UT houston students care to lend some info? (or applicants that are wiser than me?)

s2452 said:
Thanks to everyone on here for all the information you have provided.

I have put a few questions in order to compare the schools that I am looking at right now. I am sure a lot of them have been answered before, but I just want to put it all together. Thanks in advance to your input.

How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?

Are there ever quizzes?

How are students graded in the first and second years?

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?

And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?

Are powerpoints posted online?

How did you study for USMLE Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?

"How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?"
During the 1st 2 years, you'll have blocks of tests every 4-8 weeks. At the end of each block, you'll have ~ 1 week of tests, one test/day, for each subject. During 2nd year, the blocks are 8 weeks long.

"Are there ever quizzes?"
Only occasionally for a short epidemiology block. That's all I can remember.

"How are students graded in the first and second years?"
Honors, high pass, pass, marginal performance (this is just below pass, you'd have to remediate), and fail (you'd have to retake the course). What's important, though, is that the grade cut-offs are set *before* you start the class. So basically, if the cut-off for an honors is 90, and everybody makes a 90, then everybody can get an honors. It generally doesn't work out this way (there's more of a bell distribution in reality), but, it doesn't hurt you to help your friends do well. This has a *huge* impact on the culture-- people are constantly sending out study aids to the class, studying in groups, helping each other out. Look for this when you interview at other schools.

"And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?"
I actually liked going to class! I went to most of them. Class is not mandatory (except for PBL and some integrative sessions and standardized patient exercises), and all the lectures are videotaped. That means you can watch them at double speed from home, which many people did. Honestly, I don't know how many people currently go to class- maybe half?

"And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?"
Yes- we get a syllabus for every class. This is helpful- you won't have to be sifting through powerpoint slides or relying on some note-taking service. You will only need books for reference, though some study guides are helpful.

"is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?"
Nope- all the lectures (for the current year *and* previous year) and available online. And there's the printed syllabus.

"Are powerpoints posted online?"
Sometimes, yes. Honestly I didn't go back and look for powerpoints after the lecture, but many professors did post their slides.

"How did you study for USMLE Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?"
Oh don't worry about this yet, silly! UT-Houston bought a subscription of Kaplan Qbank for everybody in the class. I did that, and did the What You Need To Know class, and used First Aid and a few other study guides. Basically...if you study hard the 1st 2 years, you've done most of your prep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My answers would pretty much be the same as OddNath's. A few extra details:

-Syllabi are available in print at the bookstore, and also as PDFs online so you can print/bind them yourself or use a program like OneNote as I do. These days I run a nearly paperless system.

-Class attendance is not great these days. Depending on scheduling and such, maybe 1/4-1/2 at most. Many people take advantage of the videos.

-New this year the administration is providing students with First Aid books in the second year to aid studying for both classes and Step. It's not a big change, but a nice gesture. Really though you don't start reviewing for the test in addition to normal coursework until January at the earliest.

Hello all! New to SDN so please forgive me for any silly mistakes!

So I had the wonderful opportunity to interview at UTH this past November and I think it officially ruined me-I can NOT see myself going anywhere else! I really really enjoyed the whole experience and felt good about being there-was wondering if I could get some input from any and everybody out there on my situation.

My first interviewer at UTH was unusual to say the least. After answering the questions I asked him he ended with "well I really like you and I think you would really like it here and you be a great fit but have you thought about what you do if you didn't get into medical school this year?" And I told him I would definitely reapply and that I am committed to going and would do anything to make my app stronger, etc. He then asked me where else I interviewed-I told him only TCOM-and he said "well thats a good school and if you get an offer you should take it because if you don't and reapply that shows a lack of dedication on your part." He then kept on repeating that "he really liked me but he was only one person on the admissions committee." He then looked at my app and said I had a good MCAT (30) and a good GPA (3.7) but that if I didn't get in I should go back and do a formal shadow experience for 4 hours a week for a couple of weeks.

I pretty much kept on saying ok and smiling while my brain felt like it was actually melting.

I got the pre-match offer from TCOM and it gave me a lot of mixed feelings. I was excited b/c it's great that I got in, but don't know if the DO, Ft. Worth, etc. thing is really for me. And then the interviewers words sort of kept on coming back to me about reapplying.

What do y'all think? Should I just try and reapply or go for it with the DO school? UTH is very mysterious cause I know -I think I know- that they don't hand out many pre-matches so I really will know what's going on Feb. 1st. Any input on this obnoxiously long post would be GREATLY appreciated :)

The most important thing is not to make any rash decisions. My situation was not too different: after interviewing around the state (done by October or so), I mentally placed UT-H at the top of my list. I received a pre-match invitation to UTMB among other schools, and did not match anywhere higher on my rank list. I was waitlisted at UT-SW and UT-H, my second and first-ranked schools respectively. I was all set to go to Galveston, even picking out an apartment and everything. Then in the middle of May, about a week before my college graduation, I received a call and an e-mail from Dr. Kellaway (the admissions head at UT-H) offering me a spot there. Of course I took it, and it played out from there.

Your situation is probably more difficult, since you only had a couple of interviews and - let's be honest - your numbers are not as strong as some. TCOM is a fine school, and the line between MD and DO has blurred almost into oblivion in everything but name. I guess it's really up to whether you want to go through the stress, time, money, and risk of applying again, or take a sure thing now. Either way, don't make any irreversible decisions until mid spring at the latest. Lots of people move around at the match, and lots after, so all hope is not lost.

Hello all! New to SDN so please forgive me for any silly mistakes!

So I had the wonderful opportunity to interview at UTH this past November and I think it officially ruined me-I can NOT see myself going anywhere else! I really really enjoyed the whole experience and felt good about being there-was wondering if I could get some input from any and everybody out there on my situation.

My first interviewer at UTH was unusual to say the least. After answering the questions I asked him he ended with "well I really like you and I think you would really like it here and you be a great fit but have you thought about what you do if you didn't get into medical school this year?" And I told him I would definitely reapply and that I am committed to going and would do anything to make my app stronger, etc. He then asked me where else I interviewed-I told him only TCOM-and he said "well thats a good school and if you get an offer you should take it because if you don't and reapply that shows a lack of dedication on your part." He then kept on repeating that "he really liked me but he was only one person on the admissions committee." He then looked at my app and said I had a good MCAT (30) and a good GPA (3.7) but that if I didn't get in I should go back and do a formal shadow experience for 4 hours a week for a couple of weeks.

I pretty much kept on saying ok and smiling while my brain felt like it was actually melting.

I got the pre-match offer from TCOM and it gave me a lot of mixed feelings. I was excited b/c it's great that I got in, but don't know if the DO, Ft. Worth, etc. thing is really for me. And then the interviewers words sort of kept on coming back to me about reapplying.

What do y'all think? Should I just try and reapply or go for it with the DO school? UTH is very mysterious cause I know -I think I know- that they don't hand out many pre-matches so I really will know what's going on Feb. 1st. Any input on this obnoxiously long post would be GREATLY appreciated :)

I understand your hesitation, but never turn down an offer from DO or MD schools. If you do, then next year the adcoms will see that as a desire for more prestige or something or other. I just remember this tidbit from by advisor.

I am definitely taking the offer no question, and realistically crossing my fingers/praying for a high placement on the waitlist at UTH...just hope something happens before the June 15th cutoff date!

I sent thank you notes to my interviewers and a thank you letter to Dr. Kellaway, so I hope that came off as sincere rather than stupid.

Thanks for all the input, and I welcome anymore!!!

The most important thing is not to make any rash decisions. My situation was not too different: after interviewing around the state (done by October or so), I mentally placed UT-H at the top of my list. I received a pre-match invitation to UTMB among other schools, and did not match anywhere higher on my rank list. I was waitlisted at UT-SW and UT-H, my second and first-ranked schools respectively. I was all set to go to Galveston, even picking out an apartment and everything. Then in the middle of May, about a week before my college graduation, I received a call and an e-mail from Dr. Kellaway (the admissions head at UT-H) offering me a spot there. Of course I took it, and it played out from there.

Your situation is probably more difficult, since you only had a couple of interviews and - let's be honest - your numbers are not as strong as some. TCOM is a fine school, and the line between MD and DO has blurred almost into oblivion in everything but name. I guess it's really up to whether you want to go through the stress, time, money, and risk of applying again, or take a sure thing now. Either way, don't make any irreversible decisions until mid spring at the latest. Lots of people move around at the match, and lots after, so all hope is not lost.

you dont happen to be the med student that hosts the pre-interview social at woodrows are you? I just seem to remember hearing this story...

Woohooo I'm here too! I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have!

you dont happen to be the med student that hosts the pre-interview social at woodrows are you? I just seem to remember hearing this story...

Creepy. I don't host them, but I have been there a few times and told the story when the topic comes up. I feel like it's a good morality tale with regard to patience and whatnot. Plus I'm a huge narcissist.

Hey what's up guys, I interviewed there in Nov. and had to say I loved it but I had a few trepidations that maybe you med students can help assuage.

1. What do you guys think of the curriculum and in turn the testing? All the other places I interviewed at seem to really bash the whole 4 tests in one week thing here and I am concerned that having so many tests may affect my actual retention of the material for later (i.e, Step 1). As corollary how conducive is taking so many (at times, seemingly disparate) classes to retention and learning? In my mind I kinda see how other curriculums ie systems-based or block (I think that's what it's called..whatever Tech has) would be better at reinforcing and maybe crystallizing the material.

2.How much of those amazing facilities of the TMC do you actually have access to? For example is doing research at MD Anderson possible for the summers? Is it really a matter of having the initiative and motivation? Or on pragmatical level, there are barriers to using the facilities? Would having access to these facilities give UTH med students and advantages amongst other Texas med students?

3.People from smaller cities, how was the change moving to a huge city like Houston? When I interviewed there all remember about the city was that there were too many cars, the freeway was always hectic and seeing lots of concrete.:laugh: Does it feel like a stereotypical big city (cold, uninviting)? I am originally from El Paso but I'm currently doing research in a big city (St. Louis) and hate it here; mostly due to the people here who very unfriendly and not endearingly humble like I'm used to. Is that just the reality of living in a big city or because it's in Texas (amongst the best in hospitality IMO) it's different?

4.Finally, what are the specifics that made you choose UTH over other schools (particularly Texas schools)?

Any help or perspectives into these questions about this great school would be appreciated (sorry for the long post, brevity is a virtue I can't afford to have right now.) THANKS!:D

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Blonde!

I actually have the same questions you do b/c I'm currently trying to decide between UTMB and UTH. I really want to accept UTH's offer, but the one thing that is preventing me from doing that is the awesome UTMB curriculum.

However, on a different note, I can answer your question about living in Houston. I currently live across the street from UTH (quite literally) at Rice University. Personally, I love that area. You're in the museum district, you have Hermann park, the zoo, the neighborhood of West U., super nice people, and the metro is right there in the med center to take you downtown to the magnificent theater district, symphony, etc. Not to mention some of the amazing places to eat in the area. Anyways, yeah, it's a beautiful part of town so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

I really want to stay in Houston, but that curriculum does bother me. I'm so confused!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. What do you guys think of the curriculum and in turn the testing? All the other places I interviewed at seem to really bash the whole 4 tests in one week thing here and I am concerned that having so many tests may affect my actual retention of the material for later (i.e, Step 1). As corollary how conducive is taking so many (at times, seemingly disparate) classes to retention and learning? In my mind I kinda see how other curriculums ie systems-based or block (I think that's what it's called..whatever Tech has) would be better at reinforcing and maybe crystallizing the material.
Granted, I've only ever been to one medical school so I can't compare, but I was fine with the 4 tests/week every 6-8 weeks. That way, you can actually have some down time at the beginning of the block. I'd rather have it this way than to constantly be in test mode-- at some places, you're taking a test every 2-3 weeks.

Also, the blocks of exams are roughly systems-based. So, during first semester, while you're dissecting the stomach, you're studying the histology of stomach gland cells and the embryological development of the GI tract. So it does all go together to some extent. And anyways, you see everything again during MS2- pathology of stomach with physiology of stomach enzymes, etc etc.

Erika09, I don't know anything about the UTMB curriculum, except that it possibly has more PBL? But in any case, anywhere you go to medical school, you cover the same topics. And take the same boards. And just to give you guys an idea, me and most of my friends here at UT-Houston studied the curriculum diligently during the first 2 years and scored 240+ on Step 1. There wasn't anything deficient- when I was studying for step, basically everything was like "oh yeah...that was in pharm block 2...I remember this."

2.How much of those amazing facilities of the TMC do you actually have access to? For example is doing research at MD Anderson possible for the summers? Is it really a matter of having the initiative and motivation? Or on pragmatical level, there are barriers to using the facilities? Would having access to these facilities give UTH med students and advantages amongst other Texas med students?
Many students do research at MD Anderson in that summer (and lots of us MD/PhDs do our grad work there). You do your 3rd year rotations at Hermann, MD Anderson, LBJ (a county hospital where you do alot), St.Luke's, St.Joseph's, the jail...I think I scrubbed in on a couple of surgeries at Methodist. You definitely get out there in the TMC.

3.People from smaller cities, how was the change moving to a huge city like Houston?
Yeah sorry can't help you with this one-- lived here my whole life! And like it :)

4.Finally, what are the specifics that made you choose UTH over other schools (particularly Texas schools)?
I liked the atmosphere. I liked that grade cut-offs were set and the friendly culture that brings. There's good research here in neuroscience and a really supportive, well-structured MD/PhD program.
And, of course, Houston has the best Chinatown in Texas! This matters to me :)

Agree with the above post! I'll add some from my own personal experience.

As said above, most of the classes try to correlate the systems with each other at the same time. They do a pretty good job of keeping together. I can't speak of other programs, but I think do try to make it sensible for students. As far as the testing situation, with the exception of this year and the problems associated with the hurricane, the block tests are rough for that week, but it is not that horrible and you get used to the pace quickly. The finals are worse as you typically take block tests the week before the final exams, so it can definately be hard for a few weeks. The finals are about split between shelf exams and school finals for first year, and mostly shelfs second year. Sounds worse than it is, sorta, but years of students have survived before you so it is possible. There are free tutors, usually from the year above for every class, and the course directors are very approachable and try to help out whenever they can. Just buckle down for the time of exams and have a good break when your done. I think they are really trying to help with Step as this year they are buying Q-bank, practice exams from NBME during second year, and giving all students a First Aid.

MD Anderson has a summer research program that you can participate in, or as always you can approach any faculty you are interested in working with and try to get in their lab. The school also has an official summer research program and hosts a mini research fair for you to find a preceptor if you don't have one in mind. Only a second year, so can't speak to the clinical scenario too much.

3.People from smaller cities, how was the change moving to a huge city like Houston? When I interviewed there all remember about the city was that there were too many cars, the freeway was always hectic and seeing lots of concrete.:laugh: Does it feel like a stereotypical big city (cold, uninviting)? I am originally from El Paso but I'm currently doing research in a big city (St. Louis) and hate it here; mostly due to the people here who very unfriendly and not endearingly humble like I'm used to. Is that just the reality of living in a big city or because it's in Texas (amongst the best in hospitality IMO) it's different?

It is a big city, but the medical school has a lot of social stuff should you be so inclined to participate. I have found people to be friendly. The area is pretty nice and the medical community is huge as this is the largest medical center in the world. My personal opinion is the city is what you make it.

The atmosphere is pretty great. Students from upper classes are very nice and there is a very friendly aura. People try to help each other out and reviews and other study aids are rampantly spread out to help others. There is also a learning resource center (LRC) open 24/7 pretty much with computers, some books, etc for you to use. The clinical experience is great due to the patient load and diversity. Memorial Hermann is one of two level 1 trauma centers in the area and the only one with an aeromedical program in LifeFlight (Ben Taub (Baylor) next door is the other Level 1), LBJ is a county hospital, and harris county psychiatric center is a good resource for psych rotations. Extremely happy with the experience so far, but I guess I am biased! Happy Holiday! PM with any specific questions if you want!

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks for the insight Oddnath and Doggypython. Oddnath you're a MD/PhD (or anyone), I was wondering if they allowed people who first matriculate as med students to transfer over to the MD/PhD program and if they do what are they looking for, as a MS1, to do so? Grades? That you did research in the summer before you start (I assume I'll be way too busy to do research during the semester)? I didn't this year because I felt I wasn't a strong enough candidate research-wise but I am in a research post-bacc to fix this. Thanks in advance

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks for the insight Oddnath and Doggypython. Oddnath you're a MD/PhD (or anyone), I was wondering if they allowed people who first matriculate as med students to transfer over to the MD/PhD program and if they do what are they looking for, as a MS1, to do so? Grades? That you did research in the summer before you start (I assume I'll be way too busy to do research during the semester)? I didn't this year because I felt I wasn't a strong enough candidate research-wise but I am in a research post-bacc to fix this. Thanks in advance
Yes- just about every year, an MS1 will be admitted to the MD/PhD program. They do look at your med school grades, but your research experience is probably most important. Generally people have done 2+ years of research before applying, but there's no hard and fast rule.

So basically, if you *really* like research and are willing to slave away in lab while your friends are travelling around the country interviewing for residency (and finish residency, and become your attending), then do apply! Haha. Just think about if that's the path you want to take.

got my call today :)

my only real question is about living expenses + scholarships. how much (if you don't mind me asking) do you take out per year to cover tuition and living expenses?

when do we start applying for them?

and no firearms? really? hmmm. what are the consequences of being caught with one?

Ha I've got a couple of guns and am the same way. Luckily my parents live in houston so I can keep them their.

I believe the waitlist begins on the 3rd week of January and their is usually a line at 6am at the lease office.

and how much is the school-owned housing? I'd need a 2-bedroom (I'm married)
Just so you know, there's only a few 2-bedroom units in the entire complex and I think there's a waiting list for them. I'm not sure when the new waiting list starts (maybe some time in January?), so you would want to get yourself on that list as soon as it opens.

Or, you could find an apartment somewhere else. There are many in that same area that are also on the light rail (like the Greenbriar, Lanesborough). They might have more 2-bedroom units available and not have that firearms issue.

I changed my mind already and will be looking for a 1-bedroom place. Am I pretty much going to have to pay $1k/mo?

So since I live in TN, am I basically screwed as far as getting on this list? I can't be there in person to drop off my application.

Is crime reasonable in that area, or should I go ahead and expect my car to get broken into?

Last edited:
for one bedroom in this area, you are probably right with it being in the $800-1000 neighborhood if you dont get ut housing, crime is not too bad, they recently had a rash of robberies in the general area, but for the most part it is a relatively safe area, most complexes are enclosed with gates and have guards at the front, use common sense when living in the area, (ie travel in pairs, don't walk around late at night, and don't leave stuff in your car) and you should be fine...

Hey Guys, I just got my acceptance email today... this is def my first choice school and I'm super pumped to be in H-town next year!

thanks for the info

Army,

I am a Mom of a UT Houston MS2. She rents a 2 bedroom Condo that is on the UTH shuttle line and pays Just under $800 a month. Lots of the students rent condos. Check with a realtor.

Congratulations on your acceptance. We have been rooting for you!!:D

Army,

I am a Mom of a UT Houston MS2. She rents a 2 bedroom Condo that is on the UTH shuttle line and pays Just under $800 a month. Lots of the students rent condos. Check with a realtor.

Congratulations on your acceptance. We have been rooting for you!!:D
That's a good rate. I'll have to look around for that, thanks. Mind sharing the name of the place she lives?

For the students, are there any computer requirements? Since you have syllabi, do people even use laptops in class? Are there power outlets in class?

When I started a year and a half ago, the computer requirement was basically any Windows-based laptop. They may change it, but you will need a portable computer of some sort. I use a tablet pc; there are outlets all over the place in the lecture halls and labs, and syllabi are available as PDFs you can print into OneNote or whatever. I really use very little paper these days.

Just wondering, other than the Favrot tower, are there any apartment complexes located either in or walking distance from the TMC? Just got accepted and am looking into places to live next year, thanks!

The bookstore sells various programs - Windows OS, Office, some other stuff maybe - at good student prices.

Regarding apartments, you have a lot of options. I had never heard of the Favrot apartments before, but they look overpriced and undersized. There are a couple of small complexes along University between Greenbriar and Main (don't know their names) that are within walking/biking distance, and another on Hermann between Crawford and Jackson (also can't remember the name; the Plaza or something maybe) that is within biking distance. There are a few south of the TMC that are along the rail for easy access and are within reasonable biking distance as well: the Greenbriar and the Lanesborough (both on Greenbrair @ Braeswood) are popular choices for students. The Archstone (on Fannin) is on the rail but not really in walking or biking distance. For most of the rest you'll either need to drive, take a shuttle, or haul your ass a pretty long way on a bike.

so, crunch time is approaching (Jan. 15) and I really want to go to Houston, but the price of living is really bumming me out. Galveston rent is looking mighty fine.

So, I don't mind living in a crappy place if the price is right, and I'm used to biking ~20 minutes to class here in undergrad, so my net is decently large. Is there any way I can find a 1 bedroom/efficiency for in the 600's?

Also, when does the student housing accept applications? Or when can I get on the waiting list? If I get on soon, what are my chances of getting a 1br at either apt. complex?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting scared calculating all my debt.

the difference between $600 and $800 rent is only $10,000 over 4 years. that might sound like a lot, but in the long run it's really miniscule. that's even assuming you don't take on a roommate or anything.

I wouldn't let rent be the deciding factor between schools.

Is there any way I can find a 1 bedroom/efficiency for in the 600's?
Yes. One of my classmates pays $600/month for a 1 bedroom apartment in the museum district. It's on the rail: http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/700-redline.pdf

She found it through In the Loop Properties: http://www.intheloopproperties.com/

She told them her price range and that she needed to be close to the rail, and they found her a place. For free- I think they get commission through whatever apt you end up choosing.

So basically, you guys will need to check with realtors/craigslist to find the best deals.

cool, thanks for the help, I just crunched some rudimentary numbers, and I have a 12 month year of UT-H coming in at $37,030 including tuition, rent, car etc. Can anyone out there who kept track tell me how off I am?

cool, thanks for the help, I just crunched some rudimentary numbers, and I have a 12 month year of UT-H coming in at $37,030 including tuition, rent, car etc. Can anyone out there who kept track tell me how off I am?
Sounds about right- ~$12,000 for tuition/fees and ~$25,000 for living expenses. Pretty standard.

You will be able to pay off <$150,000 in loans as a physician! Stop losing sleep over this! (I say this since you posted at 3:30am..)

:rolleyes:

So, I don't mind living in a crappy place if the price is right, and I'm used to biking ~20 minutes to class here in undergrad, so my net is decently large. Is there any way I can find a 1 bedroom/efficiency for in the 600's?

I'm not a student at UTH but I work in TMC and live in Montrose which is a fun, hip little area. There are a lot of quaint old houses here converted into apartments. My apartment is $665 a month and I'm sure you could find cheaper. I take the bus to TMC but you could totally bike. Check out har.com or craigslist for apartments. I found my place just driving around and calling the realtors on the for lease signs.

How long are classes during M1? Are we talking 8-5, 8-12, etc? (minus anatomy lab, I know that will be long)
Class is 8-12 or 9-12, then gross lab is MWF 1-5pm (or whenever you finish). Back in my day (yep, I've been around a while), we actually had to dissect every lab. But now, I think y'all split into 2 groups and dissect every other time. For the ones that you don't do, the other team will go through it with you. I kind of wish we had it this way.

Histo lab is Tues/Thurs 1-3pm, but it's optional. Actually, most of your classes are optional as well and you could just watch them at home if you want.

I say, go to all the classes for at least the 1st week and see how you like it. If you're like me and like the structure of going to class every day, then keep doing it. Otherwise, you can plan your day a little differently and schedule when you want to go through lectures on your own.

sounds like a pretty good schedule. are there good options for food on campus or really near by for those days when you're only off 12-1 between classes?

do they happen to sell t-shirts with "UT-H college of medicine" or something like that on them?

sounds like a pretty good schedule. are there good options for food on campus or really near by for those days when you're only off 12-1 between classes?

do they happen to sell t-shirts with "UT-H college of medicine" or something like that on them?
Oh yeah, there are quite a few food places. There's a little cafe in the first floor of the medical school, the cafeteria in Hermann Hospital (connected to the medical school), an awesome sandwich and pastry cafe across the street from the school, another sandwich shop across the street, and a large eating area near Baylor and UTH with a lot of food options. There's also a really nice cafeteria in Methodist Hospital and lots of eateries along Fannin St. including Starbucks. :)

Of course it's A LOT cheaper to brown bag it but when you're feeling really lazy or want to treat yourself, you have lots of options.

Yep, they sell those shirts. :cool:

That's a good rate. I'll have to look around for that, thanks. Mind sharing the name of the place she lives?

For the students, are there any computer requirements? Since you have syllabi, do people even use laptops in class? Are there power outlets in class?

Army,

The name of the condo complex is Cambridge Court. Lots of Medical Students are staying there. There is another condo complex across the street. Some of my daughter's Medical School friends stay there. I do not know the name of them though. Both complexes are just down the street from the UT-H housing so they are close to the shuttle bus stop. My daughter suggests looking on the Web for Cambridge Court.

Good Luck

Oh yeah, there are quite a few food places. There's a little cafe in the first floor of the medical school, the cafeteria in Hermann Hospital (connected to the medical school), an awesome sandwich and pastry cafe across the street from the school, another sandwich shop across the street, and a large eating area near Baylor and UTH with a lot of food options. There's also a really nice cafeteria in Methodist Hospital and lots of eateries along Fannin St. including Starbucks. :)

Of course it's A LOT cheaper to brown bag it but when you're feeling really lazy or want to treat yourself, you have lots of options.

Based again on my daughter's experience, there are many clubs that meet during the 12-1 time-slot and many provide lunch. There are also optional lectures and stuff that also provides lunch.

thanks for all of the great info, everyone. I'll check out those apartments, DoctorMom22.

is there a link to buy those shirts online? I want one bad :)

Hey i was wondering what information anyone might have on the global health program at UT Houston (I know they have SIGHT) - and maybe any comparisons between the global opportunities at UT Houston and UTMB or UTSW (I know UTSW global program is extremely new but was wondering exactly how functional it is at this point)

Thanks for any and all help!