Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UT Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by UT-Frank, Apr 10, 2004.

1. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Has anyone heard from UT Austin Pharmacy School yet? They're taking a LONG time.....

What does everyone think of the campus? The program? etc.... Would you go to UT or UH?

I look forward to your responses!

2. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

I had my interview in February and I have not heard anything yet. Let me tell ya, the waiting is killing me. No one I know has heard anything either.

I think the campus at UT is freaking awesome and the program is stellar but I am biased b/c I did my undergraduate at UT. Of course I would go to UT and not U of H. UT has got to be in the top 5 pharmacy schools in the nation and U of H is... well... let's just say I'm very biased towards UT. Austin is so much cooler than Houston too. Austin has a great live music scene, 6th street, Zilker Park, great places to mountainbike, tubing on the Guadalupe river only a short drive away, and hot young people everywhere. Houston... has... pollution? fat old oil millionaires? crime? Austin is the best city in Texas hands-down.

Just my .02! Hope you hear good news from UT soon! Good luck..
    Shannon

3. emogrrrrl

emogrrrrl I like my freedom
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hands down UT...but I'm also very biased having received my bachelors from there as well.
    Hope someone hears something soon.

4. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I made it!

5. aggiedg02

aggiedg02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

UT-Frank....when was your interview? Congrats by the way!

6. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

Frank,
    CONGRATS!!
    Now, some anxious questions: When did you get your letter? What did the letter look like?
    Shannon

7. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

FRANK!!! Congratulations!!!! :clap: This is maggie by the way =) i've only heard of like 3-4 people who made it in so you should be really happy. I haven't gotten a letter yet =( getting scared...

8. Longhorn23

Longhorn23 Member
    5+ Year Member

:thumbup: Congratulations Frank!!!

9. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks! I received my letter Tues, April 13th. My interview was during the 2nd round in late March. Don't give up yet! I think there are at least 3 more admissions committee meetings...

10. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA? I'm waiting to hear from them to, I had my interview at the same time. I'm wondering if they are going by the order of GPA.

11. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Frank, you're the first person I've heard of that has heard anything since an interview...congratulations!
    Does anyone have any idea how many seats have been filled? Does anyone know how they are handing out acceptances right now, for ex...are they offering acceptances to those who are the strongest applicants (gpa, pcat, interview, writing sample...etc) and then in the end they will decide who fills the other seats after all the interviews are finished?
    Wish it was easier to gauge how UT works since they don't send out all letters (acceptance, rejection, and alternate status) as time and interviews go by.

12. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Not too sure on this but I've *heard* that 90 seats have been filled but I don't know. At the second interview, they told us 70 seats have been filled so I'm guessing only 20 from the 2nd batch have heard back. It seems to me like the strongest applicants are hearing first. I've heard of about 5 people that have been accepted and then those 20-30 that are from El Paso or whatever in the Co-op program? that get guarenteed spots in the COP.

13. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh yea, and I also heard the average age of applicants (or the average age of people accepted) was 24!!!!! This freaks me out! I'm only 20, my second year. This highly discourages me :( I was wondering how old everyone else is.

14. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

I'm 20 as well, i'm a junior at UT now. None of my friends have heard yet either. When was your interview maggie?

15. 28657

28657 Smile like you mean it
    10+ Year Member

Why are you freaked? 24 is not that much older than 20. The group of friends I hang out with from school range in age from 20 to 40. The 40 year old is really cool and likes to party with us, so I wouldn't worry too much about 24 year olds. ;) :D

16. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Maggie, that's pretty close to what I heard (but I heard about 70 spots were filled so far, more or less). And many are from that El Paso program also.... so I have no idea how they're handling acceptances. My grades and pcats are fair/average but I think my interview went pretty well - not too sure about the writing part. The average age is 24? whoa, i feel young...yea I felt really young at the interviews too. But don't get too discouraged about that, i'm sure age isn't a factor.

UT is taking a long time...just hang in there.. There's still more than half of the seats left (they accept about 150 according to the website) so best of luck to everyone! I think they told us that everyone will here something by June 1st.

Besides that, what are some of the fields in pharmacy is everyone looking into? So far, clinical/hospital pharmacy is what I'm looking into...I don't think retail is for me, but the pay is excellent. I just hope pharmacy keeps moving more and more towards direct patient care, etc.

17. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

Why would you be worried about the average class age? I can see being worried about scores and GPA, but age? Our average class age is around 27. There are at least two 18-year-old students in my class. Another classmate of mine was 19 when he was admitted. There is a 3rd (final) year student on SDN who is 21 and about to graduate PharmD. Several of my friends are 22 or under. It's ok, I promise. :D
    Edit: AmandaRxs beat me to it. ;)

18. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

{Besides that, what are some of the fields in pharmacy is everyone looking into? So far, clinical/hospital pharmacy is what I'm looking into...I don't think retail is for me, but the pay is excellent. I just hope pharmacy keeps moving more and more towards direct patient care, etc.[/QUOTE]}

I'm interested in being a Poison Control Pharmacist one day, If i get accepted. I work now in a hospital pharmacy and I interested in that as well. I don't think i would like retail either, but i've never worked in one. Do you work now?

19. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Interesting...thanks for all the responses. One more question..does anyone know when UT stops interviewing? Are they finishing up this month or are they going to carry over into May?
    The stress is killing me. It would be nice to know where I'm going to be in the fall and what I will be doing.
    By the way maggie, I'm 23...but like AmandaRx's and jdpharmd said, peoples age shouldn't worry you.

20. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

They are having another group this week. My friend has his tommorow. Registration is coming up soon, I think i'm going to start taking Computer science classes. I don't know what i would do with a Biology degree. About 3/4 of the pharmacy techs at my hospital have biology degrees, and I don't want to work in a lab. I know CS is so different from the classes i'm taking now, but I took a class in highschool that i enjoyed. Is anyone else registering?

21. 28657

28657 Smile like you mean it
    10+ Year Member

I've known three people who graduated with a CS degree and they all were unemployed for about 1-2 years. Even then they ONLY got jobs because they were highly competent and computers were their lives (I mean they spend, hmmmm, let's say 18 hours a day programming for FUN?? CRAZY). If it interests you go for it, but the IT field should NOT be a back up plan.

22. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

WIth the economy now, it is hard to find any job, not just careers in engineering and with computers. I don't know what else to take. I'm taking an introductory class over the summer to see if I really would enjoy doing this before i actually apply to the school. I can stand working on a program all day instead of working with human samples. Graduating with a bachelors in Microbiology is just like someone getting certificate, they don't inc your pay or treat you like if you have a degree. YOu have to get a masters or PhD.

23. jdpharmd?

7+ Year Member

It is really tough to have a BS degree in Biology or Microbiology. The positions open are usually only for lab techs. You're absolutely right about needing a PhD to gain respect in the life sciences. I have several friends who graduated with BS degrees in Biochem, Biology, Psych, or Micro and they are all either unemployed, hate their jobs, or are enrolled in graduate school. I also have a roomate who graduated with a BS in Mech Engineering and he's been without a job for almost an entire year (he graduated from a big 10 school).

The economy is a biatch lately, and you have to chose carefully. Out of all my undergrad friends, about half have jobs. About half of those have jobs that they actually like. Almost everyone who was able to get a job right out of school had a BS in some type of finance/accounting. One had a criminal justice degree. Hmm, I didn't mean to sound so dismal... my bad. ;)

24. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for responding guys! My interview was at the end of March. Well, I was worried about age because the guy I interviewed with said older people usually have degrees, more classes under their belt to help them in pharmacy, more experience and usually know what they want to do by that age and so me being a 20 year old may change my mind or whatever...I don't know it just seems like sophomores are a huge minority and I hope they don't look at that when considering for acceptance =(

In response to emogrrrrl, I heard last year they had a 4th round of interviews (I think in the summer but not too sure since they promised everyone a response by June 1).

But about which area in pharmacy - I was thinking hospital too but I pretty much have an open mind right now. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to go into research or teaching. I'm leaning towards hospital/clinical like Frank. Is anyone thinking about doing a residency? That sounds like a good plan to me but with the demand for pharmacists bound to decrease...I'd want to jump in as soon as possible.

25. sweetcalie08

sweetcalie08 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What gives you the impression that the demand for pharmacists is bound to decrease?! I guess your assumption could be true...that would surely be a bummer, though. :/

26. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

I don't think the demand will decrease anytime soon though b/c its in the health care industry, and it's a 6 year program. Not a lot of people want to go to school that long. Plus only a limited number of people get accepted. But i do believe that the nurse shortage will be over soon b/c most of the hospitals in Texas at least, are allowing people to become LVNs without having to pay for the education. I don't know about other states.

27. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

Oh, My bad! :cool: I didn't mean that it was easy getting a degree, I just meant that when applying, they don't look at the people with BS and the people with a laboratory certification much differently, thats all.

28. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, that's just what I heard a professor (I think at UT) said because student interest in pharmacy is increasing and more programs are opening...I'm not sure though. Hopefully it won't decrease THAT much if even by the time I graduate.

29. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Wow, this thread is getting popular!

In response to Maggie's statement about the decrease in demand, I myself have talked to a professor here at UT Pharmacy and he said that with the opening of new programs (i think soon A&M Kingsville and Incarnate Word in SA) that the demand will steadily decrease. Along this will be the decrease in starting salaries.... :oops:

30. jdpharmd?

7+ Year Member

I meant the same thing. :) I was trying to say that even though it's a lot of work, it doens't usually get you very far (except into a tech position or a grad school).

31. jdpharmd?

7+ Year Member

I doubt you're going to see starting salaries decrease. Like somebody pointed out, it's a 6-8 year degree (moving toward 8 year exclusively) now. It wasn't always this way, and salaries were just as high. I agree that the shortage will "fix itself" eventually, but it's still a long road to becoming a pharmacist.

Earlier this year Walgreens was quoted as saying that it could hire EVERY graduate from EVERY pharmacy school and still not have enough pharmacists for it's new stores and vacant postions. A few new schools hardly put a dent in the supply/demand. Even 300 new pharmacists is not that many in the scheme of things (6 PharmDs/state, average, who hoo?). Plenty of pharmacists are taking retirement/maternity/paternity leaveor reducing their hours. The new schools won't produce ANY graduates until 2007, 2008, or 2009. Healtcare is just about always hiring.

32. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting will be? Does anyone know if there will be a fourth round of interviews? Does anyone know someone who has gotten a rejection letter?

I think the demand for pharmacists in Texas might drop a little bit in 5-6 years.. because of the new schools opening up (Kingsville, Incarnate Word). I highly doubt if starting salaries will drop much though.

I hope I hear something soon because I have got to start planning where I will be in 4 months! EEK
    Shannon

33. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Shannon, I haven't heard of any rejection letters. I know for my round of interviews (the second round), Dr. Richards said that we should hear by the end of April with the exception of the rejection letters - they will be sent after Finals for the sake of the students. But I have a question -- I only have 2 finals the first day of finals and then I will be outta here (to Houston). I don't want to change my address now just in case I do get a letter, but what should I do/when should I change my address?

34. emogrrrrl

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    has anyone heard of someone getting a letter indicating alternate status/waitlist??

35. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you think that would mean they are withholding rejection letters from the first interview round too? I really hope not.

I actually just tried to call the admissions office (the number I used was 471-4425) but I was routed straight to voicemail. The message said "I will not be returning calls about application status." I guess that means I will not try to call again!

I think you should call to change your address with them on the day you are going to be leaving. Is your lease ending? If so, you should fill out a mail forwarding request with the post office and your mail will be forwarded to your Houston address.

36. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I live in the dorms, so I'm not sure what they do with the mail afterwards. I'm not sure if they're withholding rejection letters from the first interview round but I haven't heard of anyone getting a rejection letter yet so probably...

37. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I remember filling out a change of address / mail forwarding thing back when I lived in the dorms. You can do it online at http://www.usps.com

38. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Shannon!

39. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

One "fallback" option people with a Bio degree could consider is working in clinical research. I work for a Phase I clinic - we conduct Phase I FDA trials. My company is hiring like crazy. It seems like the whole clinical research field is growing. Here is a pretty good information page about the clinical research field if anyone is interested: http://www.centerwatch.org
    It's an interesting way to use a Bio degree for a person who does not want to work in a lab.

40. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Does anyone know the average starting salaries for PharmDs nowadays? I've talked to an advisor and he told me that not that many opt to do clinical because the pay is below that of retail...is this true? Just wondering...

41. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure hospital setting offers lower pay than retail, maybe ~10-20,000 less. I think I've heard hospital has better benefits however. Also I've heard the margin between hospital salary and retail salary decreasing. The hospital setting seems like it would be a more rewarding and fulfilling career, however, retail offers more in terms of salary. kinda a tough choice...I haven't worked in a retail yet though so I'm not 100% sure what the setting would be like. Hope that helps just a little, the other people could probably tell you a lot more :)

42. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

I'm not really sure but maybe going to places like the occupational outlook website would help you find more information.

43. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was thinking....maybe I can have 2 jobs and work in a hospital AND a retail setting. That way, i can get a feel of both fields. Does anyone know of anybody that does this?

44. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

A family friend of my that graduated from Mercer Pharmacy School last year just found a job in El Paso as a hospital pharmacist. His starting salary is somewhere around 100k PLUS sign on bonus. I thought that was AMAZINGLY awesome for beginners...but it is in El Paso....

45. maggiemoo

maggiemoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow that is awesome...but I personally wouldn't want to work in El Paso...I've heard of around 80-100k + sign on bonuses. Elaine even told me of a sign on bonus BMW! cool huh? :)

46. Longhorn23

Longhorn23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi everybody,
    I just had my intvw today and there were about 20-30 ppl there. The pharmacy students there said they probably received approx 700 apps. this time. Around 350 were interviewed but they couldn't really tell how many have already been accepted. Due to the high volume of applicants they are interviewing till late April.

47. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

Longhorn23,

Did they tell you when you should hear back from them? Did they say anything about sending, or if they already sent all the acceptance letters for the people that were already interviewed?
    :)

48. Longhorn23

Longhorn23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Nope! Nothing about that. I really wanted to ask Dr richards but she seemed kind of in a hurry so I am gonna call them on Monday and find out :)
    All I heard was gossip (frm other students), so I am not going to write about that because there is no use stressing you guys for something which might not be true.

49. utlonghornsandy

7+ Year Member

I'm curious, you can send me a private message if you want.
    sandy

50. Roxicet

Roxicet warning: I'm addictive!
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    :smuggrin: That must be at the county hospital here. They've been trying to fill that spot for months, maybe years. Here, your friend will need a lot of these :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: I would not recommend that anybody move here, no matter how much money they offer. I've been trying to get out since the day I was born. But like I've said before "El Paso sucks so hard, it somehow sucks you back." :laugh:

I'll be moving to Phoenix in August, and there's nothing anyone can offer me to make me come back here. One of the doctors at the free clinic where I volunteer gave me this dissapointed look when he asked me if I was coming back to El Paso when I graduated, and I said no. Maybe I would if I spoke Spanish well, but I don't, so I would be of no great help here anyway. Three months, two weeks, and 2 days to go! :thumbup: