~*~UT-Southwestern Class of 2011~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I reckon you should dress like you do for school. Business casual might be alright too. No professional attire - there's plenty of days during MS1 to do that!

Last year I stayed at the Crowne Plaza which was terrific for the price (UTSW discount). Check with the hotel people again - I think last year they "accidentally" hung up on me when they realized I was calling for the discount, but I got a room when I called later and talked to someone else. Otherwise there's lots of other places in the area that I cannot remember. You probably already saw this list - http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept21170/files/65465.html.

and by the way, I really envy you guys. ya'll have it so good right now - getting accepted, meeting everybody, learning about the school and the area, moving, thinking about the future, etc. Everything feels new, and it's all so exciting. That was me a year ago, but things are much different now that studying has just about consumed my life. I'm not miserable though, just working harder (and learning more) than I ever have and getting to commiserate/party with classmates who are in the same boat.

BTW, this isn't meant to scare you guys, because I know y'all can handle it... but make good use of your free time before school starts because that time will quickly vanish once school starts ;)

Thanks for the advice as always! :)

I was thinking the same thing regarding Crowne Plaza (that maybe they just don't want to give the discount), since it is extremely rare that a hotel is full, especially since it's more than a month until then and not everyone in our class is attending....or at least I assume not everyone is.

I'm going to try and talk to the person listed on the SW website and see if I have better luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I reckon you should dress like you do for school. Business casual might be alright too. No professional attire - there's plenty of days during MS1 to do that!

Really? What do we have? I thought I had until MS3 to get my professional wardrobe in shape! (Clothes shopping terrifies and demoralizes me.) :scared:

Really? What do we have? I thought I had until MS3 to get my professional wardrobe in shape! (Clothes shopping terrifies and demoralizes me.) :scared:

you have a few days the 1st semester when you interview standardized patients for clinical ethics, and then almost weekly in the 2nd semester for human behavior (visiting grade schools, daycares, interviewing patients, group discussions, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! i just wanted to join the chat. so... utsw huh??? man, i am so not awkward right now. :scared:

Oooo I'm kind of excited with the professional wear talk! My previous jobs have always been very casual (work from home, work in a bathing suit, work in nursing uniforms...) I actually bought two pairs of nice pants yesterday because I realized all I had in my closet were jeans. I'm glad I know now I can actually use them for something! I'll definately wear my usual uniform to MS0--jeans and (casual) heels.

joining the board also... i hope jeans and a tshirt cut it 95% of the time...

c/o 2011 utsw

well femalescant drive..looks like i agree with you on two points...dawkins is god.

well femalescant drive..looks like i agree with you on two points...dawkins is god.

wrd :thumbup:

Welcome! Join our facebook group too :)

i will join as soon as i reactivate my account. i deactivated until march 19th because i wanted to see if i could live without facebook as sort of a pre-med school exercise.

so... who all is planning on going to the ms0 days in late march???

well for those on the facebook group know..we're all trying to stay at the same hotel...crown plaza filled up fast so i think radission love field is up for grabs.?

look foward to meeting ya'll ...anyways ill be the guy at the bar who's totally wasted...mumbling....wtf did i get myself into....

along the same lines...ill be driving up probably thursday night b/c i have to work all day..if any one needs a ride...btw i have a camaro..not the most passenger friendly car...

well for those on the facebook group know..we're all trying to stay at the same hotel...crown plaza filled up fast so i think radission love field is up for grabs.?

look foward to meeting ya'll ...anyways ill be the guy at the bar who's totally wasted...mumbling....wtf did i get myself into....

along the same lines...ill be driving up probably thursday night b/c i have to work all day..if any one needs a ride...btw i have a camaro..not the most passenger friendly car...

dont get a ticket like the female in my avatar!

Just booked my Radisson Love Field room for Thursday/Friday night @ $59/night.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm just posting so our thread can go to the top of the list :p
and to say

i can't wait to meet you all!!!

I was at UTSW this weekend for a pre-med conference with my student organization. I got all excited again about going there this fall.

PS: Wes Norred, VP for Student Affairs reads SDN. He's read the Texas Interviews threads, and most likely this one also. :D

PS: Wes Norred, VP for Student Affairs reads SDN. He's read the Texas Interviews threads, and most likely this one also. :D

Uh-oh. :scared: We are being read.

**Waves hello shyly**:oops:

I was at UTSW this weekend for a pre-med conference with my student organization. I got all excited again about going there this fall.

thats big brother freakish...well i guess i shouldnt talk about the 8ball i did this weekend.

wes that was a joke...please dont rescind my acceptance...thanks...

Does he post here as well? I know a few adcoms post here as well (e.g. REL) but they're not from TX schools.

Does he post here as well? I know a few adcoms post here as well (e.g. REL) but they're not from TX schools.

He didn't say.

Twitch = Ymarker?

I'm in Dallas right now looking for places to live :) It's getting more real by the moment!!

He didn't say.

Twitch = Ymarker?

Cest Moi.

I interviewed on the very last day @ UTSW after all the pre-matches had been given out and am currently on the waitlist.

hmmm im curious as to what facebook profiles corresponds to what handle's.

im assuming no one wants to go first..so a hint...i prob have the goofiest fb picture in the group.

in my defense i just found out i got in and i was very #%#$ up.

hmmm im curious as to what facebook profiles corresponds to what handle's.

im assuming no one wants to go first..so a hint...i prob have the goofiest fb picture in the group.

in my defense i just found out i got in and i was very #%#$ up.
Pretty sure that I know who you are. Mine should be easy. Really easy.

P.S. I will continue to eavesdrop on this thread and on the facebook group even though I deferred to next year. I need you guys to give me the scoop on everything ;)

My name is John. I go to A&M.

And for some reason, I got put as an admin of the group. :confused:

Has anyone gotten anything in the mail recently? I recently moved and want to make sure that the address changes worked.

Also, how far ahead of time do we need to look for a place to live? (I mean really get down to it and find an apartment) I'm hoping for med park, but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone gotten anything in the mail recently? I recently moved and want to make sure that the address changes worked.

Also, how far ahead of time do we need to look for a place to live? (I mean really get down to it and find an apartment) I'm hoping for med park, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm submitting a list of my wants & needs to an apartment locator in the next few days and then going to the Big D during spring break. Its somewhat early, but its the only real convenient time I have to do it.

last thing i got was the email about ms0 day

Pretty sure that I know who you are. Mine should be easy. Really easy.

P.S. I will continue to eavesdrop on this thread and on the facebook group even though I deferred to next year. I need you guys to give me the scoop on everything ;)

real easy..unless your a little slow like me...actually took me a few min..would have been faster if i had clicked on your mdapps profile.

real easy..unless your a little slow like me...actually took me a few min..would have been faster if i had clicked on your mdapps profile.

lol... ya i woulda just looked for the fb pic that looked like scarface

finall another email......kinda sucks we can only pick 3 of the 6 presentations...pretty interested in 4 of them.

also...a party at 5pm? cant wait... seriously though anyone going out that night?

finall another email......kinda sucks we can only pick 3 of the 6 presentations...pretty interested in 4 of them.

I can't go (well, I could, but it just isn't going to be worth the travel from Boston) -- so if you guys hear anything notable, come back & tell the rest of us, would you?

I finally made a facebook profile & joined the group. I can't wait to meet everybody!

If I could ask you all one favor:
I'm writing/compiling a FAQ thread for TMDSAS. I thought linking each school name to the SDN Wiki entry would be a good idea. I've started editing UT-H's wiki entry (because I know the most about it) but if you guys could enter in the information for Southwestern, that would REALLY help me out :)

Southwestern

If I could ask you all one favor:
I'm writing/compiling a FAQ thread for TMDSAS. I thought linking each school name to the SDN Wiki entry would be a good idea. I've started editing UT-H's wiki entry (because I know the most about it) but if you guys could enter in the information for Southwestern, that would REALLY help me out :)

Southwestern

I just took a look at it.

In the case that I have a horrible accident which impairs my ability to do anything else, and I somehow find 18 hours a day in which I have absolutely nothing else to do, I will edit it. :p

Maybe this was asked earlier but how many of you are dead set on UTSW???

Maybe this was asked earlier but how many of you are dead set on UTSW???

Looks 90-95% probable for me right now... A Baylor acceptance could stir things up a little, but they've had the last five months to think about it, and so far seem perfectly happy with the prospect of living without me :rolleyes:. I'm also waiting to hear from Mount Sinai and Duke, but I'm not really convinced either will admit me, and the probability of money (merit or need) is vanishingly small. And UTSW is (more or less) free for Texas veterans. So it's looking likely.

yeah holding out on baylor...last interview batch..not expecting much since my last interviewer pretty much just got up and walked out of the room....

when i moved from NJ i told myself i would never go to college in the south...(UT alum here) and i def would never go to medical school here. but it looks like i have no other choice ..

Deat set here as well. :)

WOO HOOOO!!!! Just got an email from Wes that I got in off the Waitlist!!!:D

WOO HOOOO!!!! Just got an email from Wes that I got in off the Waitlist!!!:D

Please join our facebook group, it would be great to meet you. ;)

Hi Class of 2011!!!!!

Welcome to UTSW! I'm looking forward to meeting some of you next weekend (I'm a current MS1 here). It really is a great place to be, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Sorry to spam, but I figure I'd just advertise here a little, since you'll be hearing about all sorts of summer programs next weekend at MS0 day and might be thinking about a place to stay for the summer. I'm looking for someone to sublet my apartment for the summer (June-July 2007), since I'll be out of town.

I'm looking for a female to sublet one room of a 2 bedroom MedPark apartment for the months of June and July 2007 - includes individual bedroom and bath and shared kitchen, living room, and balcony. Apartment complex is only 5 minutes from school (6401 Maple Ave.). Amenities include free shuttle service to UTSW campus, swimming pool, exercise room, study/computer room, and much more. See this site for more details about the complex and facilities: http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw...on/auxiliaryservices/campushousing/index.html

Rent is normally $555/month, not including utilities. However, I am willing to negotiate rent, and I will not be charging the extra $50/month that MedPark charges for summer rent. Other roommate is a female MS1 who will be staying in the apartment for the summer.

Please e-mail me ([email protected]) for further details. Thanks!

~Jen

Is MS0 done with? I've been accepted since Feb., but I didn't get any info. : (