~*~UT-Southwestern Class of 2011~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else already complete the loan entrance counseling online?

I started freaking out when that loan debt/repayment calculator came up and told me that in order to afford repayment on ~$130,000 of loans I need to make something like $250K/year.

Oh yeah, and in accordance with a resident's salary ($35-37K/year) you should not borrow more than $21,000.

I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry. :scared:

PS: Has anyone heard anything about the background check?? I haven't gotten any e-mails with instructions or anything else for that matter.

The schedule we were sent says that they will send info about it in June and we are to complete it during July. I just want to get on with it, but I guess we have some waiting left.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone had much luck locating a single around the med school? obviously med park is not an option. my budget would top out around $800, and i'd be interested to hear if anyone's found something worthwhile. i'll probably be working the ol' phones for the next few days trying to find something, i'd appreciate your help.

has anyone had much luck locating a single around the med school? obviously med park is not an option. my budget would top out around $800, and i'd be interested to hear if anyone's found something worthwhile. i'll probably be working the ol' phones for the next few days trying to find something, i'd appreciate your help.

i got an efficiency at cityville for 724. its like accross the street from the school and its brand new, you should check it out, they only have a few left

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone gonna be in Dallas this summer for research? what are your summer plans? Hope y'all find something fun/relaxing to do this summer before it all begins in mid-August.

I will be doing research this summer back at home (so I won't be in Dallas). I kind of need the money, and it worked out so I can be with my family and friends all summer. :D

Also, I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of the new Harry Potter book and movie. :lol:

I will be doing research this summer back at home (so I won't be in Dallas). I kind of need the money, and it worked out so I can be with my family and friends all summer. :D

Also, I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of the new Harry Potter book and movie. :lol:

I've always wondered about your username, since you are obviously enrolling in UTSW now ... ? :p

I've always wondered about your username, since you are obviously enrolling in UTSW now ... ? :p

The "baylor" part of my name was never meant to stand for BCM. My undergrad is Baylor University, so that's why my username is baylormed.

A lot of people ask about it around the forums. I should make a note in my sig.

EDIT: Note made underneath username. :hungover:

Ah I figured that must've been it, Baylormed ^^

I'm an MS0 moving into MedPark late May / early June (move-in date May 18, woot! =)
I'm not from Dallas/Texas so not sure what's the best way to go about getting furniture.
... the IKEA in Frisno perhaps?
Any craigslist-style site for the UTSW community? (ideally I'd just buy it off of someone moving out of MedPark :p)

My wife and I have this running joke that IKEA has tons of stuff that is ALMOST what we want, but nothing that is exactly what we are looking for. However, you might have better luck.

I've always had the best luck just watching out for sales/clearance items at department stores (Dillards, JC Penney, etc)

i got an efficiency at cityville for 724. its like accross the street from the school and its brand new, you should check it out, they only have a few left

just put my money down for the last efficiency @ 724/mo. :)

thanks for the tip, cityville seems like just the remedy for years of living in student slums.

So, has anyone doing research this summer heard from Dr. McPhaul? I'd just like to know when we're going to get some kind of information about the logistics of the program and some other opportunities going on this summer. I've emailed him twice now, I guess it's time to start calling...

So, has anyone doing research this summer heard from Dr. McPhaul? I'd just like to know when we're going to get some kind of information about the logistics of the program and some other opportunities going on this summer. I've emailed him twice now, I guess it's time to start calling...

Yeah, he's not the greatest at responding to emails, so I'd call. Last year they didn't send us any information on research orientation until 8 days before the start date. hopefully they're more responsive this time around.

just put my money down for the last efficiency @ 724/mo. :)

thanks for the tip, cityville seems like just the remedy for years of living in student slums.

I've decided I will save the money for an apartment, and just set up a tent outside the school. That way, I will save up the money I was going to spend on furniture (since all I'll need is a sleeping bag), and take a vacation during the summer.

I've decided I will save the money for an apartment, and just set up a tent outside the school. That way, I will save up the money I was going to spend on furniture (since all I'll need is a sleeping bag), and take a vacation during the summer.
No need to set up a tent, just bring the sleeping bag to your carrel.

That's basically what I did the year I got my Master's in EE (slept under a lab bench, or in my office most of the time) so it CAN be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to set up a tent, just bring the sleeping bag to your carrel.

That's basically what I did the year I got my Master's in EE (slept under a lab bench, or in my office most of the time) so it CAN be done.

Hahaha :laugh: Great idea!!

you know what, i was just about to go the same route, then i said, what the hell, it's time to live a little! :laugh: it's expensive, but eh :D

you know what, i was just about to go the same route, then i said, what the hell, it's time to live a little! :laugh: it's expensive, but eh :D

I was just joking, although it has crossed my mind.

I was just joking, although it has crossed my mind.

hahah i know you were, but you and i would both be lying if we said something very similar did not cross our minds at some point :)

Just wanted to say hello! I was just accepted off the waitlist! :hardy:

Just wanted to say hello! I was just accepted off the waitlist! :hardy:

Hey congrats on the acceptance... Will you be attending UTSW? I'm almost done with MS1, so feel free to post/PM any questions you might have about the school.

congrats! that's gotta be an awesome feeling!

Hey congrats on the acceptance... Will you be attending UTSW? I'm almost done with MS1, so feel free to post/PM any questions you might have about the school.

Thanks! I believe that I will be attending UTSW!!

Thanks for the congrats guys! I still keep reading the email over and over to make sure I didn't misread it! Months ago I found out I was in the top 1/3 of the waitlist, so I'm knd of confused that people are pming me saying they were in the top 10 and 25% but havent't been notified of anything yet! But I am super greatful.... I just hope I wasn't accepted by mistake! :scared:

Thanks! I believe that I will be attending UTSW!!

Thanks for the congrats guys! I still keep reading the email over and over to make sure I didn't misread it! Months ago I found out I was in the top 1/3 of the waitlist, so I'm knd of confused that people are pming me saying they were in the top 10 and 25% but havent't been notified of anything yet! But I am super greatful.... I just hope I wasn't accepted by mistake! :scared:

I'm sure it wasn't a mistake. Congratulations.:thumbup:

When's orientation for new students?

Hey guys, if anyone here is interested in an A2 at Med Park, the largest of the one bedrooms, and wanting to move in in July please shoot me a PM. I would like to to move out on the 11th instead of the 31st. So basically if someone wants to move in on the 15th they could start their lease then and July would be prorated to for 50% of the rent. Even if your not on the waitlist yet for med-park go ahead and shoot me a PM and I'll see if the leasing office can work something out. Thanks and welcome to UTSW.

For current students... does anyone live in med park? How do you like it? Pros/cons?

are there any cons to getting an apple computer in terms of software compatibility issues? i'm assuming not because apple is endorsed by the school, but i was just wondering what any current students thought.

For current students... does anyone live in med park? How do you like it? Pros/cons?

Its alright. Mainly I lived here for convience. I thought the maintance was good and the office staff were helpful and that it is fairly safe. I am moving though because I want to come home and not feel like I am in the medical center still and that there are some more vibrant areas. Other complain about the cost but, for me I value safety and I thought some of the cheaper places were not so nice. Uptown has some nice places but your not going to save much and will probably pay more. What was Jefferson at University is nice and some people in my class live there. I think it is cheaper and you get a larger, better appointed apartment. Alot of first years live at med-park but more don't live there than do. Also the shuttle does NOT run mid day so I almost always drive.

Last edited:
Congrats! There's only one of these I can really answer.

2. what kind of correspondence have you all received from southwestern thus far? i was expecting a big packet with immunization stuff, the college system, etc., but all i got was the letter and an acceptance form.
I didn't get a big packet, but I did get a folder in the mail with documents that I gathered were handed out at MS-0 weekend to those able to attend. Immunization requirements were included in that as well as in an e-mail I got sent. I have attached them here, if I managed to make the attachment feature work right. Make sure you start the Hep B series immediately if you don't already have it, because it's a 4-to-6 month series that must be complete before classes start.

3. is there anything we need to get before school starts? stethoscope, scrubs, etc.?
I haven't received any information like this yet. As it's reasonable to assume that MS-0s all fret about the same things every year, I think we can expect to be told this stuff in a timely fashion. OK, OK, I confess -- I've been wondering this too, especially about the stethoscope. It looks like there is some basic physical exam stuff first year, but I have no idea whether they'll teach us about listening skills at that point. I suspect we will need to buy scrubs for anatomy lab (just because you don't want your own clothes to stink.) But that's just guesswork.

Attachments

• Immunization Form.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 129
  • Immunization Letter.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 139
Congrats! There's only one of these I can really answer.

I didn't get a big packet, but I did get a folder in the mail with documents that I gathered were handed out at MS-0 weekend to those able to attend. Immunization requirements were included in that as well as in an e-mail I got sent. I have attached them here, if I managed to make the attachment feature work right. Make sure you start the Hep B series immediately if you don't already have it, because it's a 4-to-6 month series that must be complete before classes start.

It says something along the lines of "the only acceptable excuse for not having the series completed is that you are waiting for the next dose" (IOW you've started them).

I haven't received any information like this yet. As it's reasonable to assume that MS-0s all fret about the same things every year, I think we can expect to be told this stuff in a timely fashion. OK, OK, I confess -- I've been wondering this too, especially about the stethoscope. It looks like there is some basic physical exam stuff first year, but I have no idea whether they'll teach us about listening skills at that point. I suspect we will need to buy scrubs for anatomy lab (just because you don't want your own clothes to stink.) But that's just guesswork.

Actually what I gathered from the e-mail is that it's okay if the series are not complete (since some of them are 6 month series...it's irrational to ask that) as long as you have started them. It's in one of the attachments in the e-mail.

Make sure you start the Hep B series immediately if you don't already have it, because it's a 4-to-6 month series that must be complete before classes start.

like baylormed said, you really only need to have started the series before school starts. but do it sooner than later.

It looks like there is some basic physical exam stuff first year, but I have no idea whether they'll teach us about listening skills at that point. I suspect we will need to buy scrubs for anatomy lab (just because you don't want your own clothes to stink.) But that's just guesswork.

You learn to take histories (on patient actors) and mental status exams (real patients), but no stethoscopes needed - that'll be 2nd year. And yeah, get a set or two of scrubs for anatomy and also a couple boxes of latex/nitrile gloves. Dissection kits are needed, but all this stuff you can buy from the school or from Majors down the street (more expensive there though). But you need this stuff before 2nd week of classes when anatomy starts.

anatomy is a distant memory now that MS1 is officially over. :banana:

Last edited:
wow thanks a bunch guys! pemberley-i really do appreciate you attaching the immunization forms (it worked too!).

sorry to keep pestering, but have you guys done a criminal background check and what info have they sent regarding the college system? i'd imagine that they would divide us up only after the class is set. again, i'm really sorry but i just feel kinda lost right now.

btw i called up the office today, and apparently, they will only send us a packet three weeks before orientation. i dont understand why it's so late but whatever.

They said the criminal background check stuff would come in July. No info on which college we're in or anything yet. Maybe the packet comes late because they told us they won't know our class schedule until two weeks before class starts.

OH! On another note, I'd love to meet up with some of you guys that are here already whether for research or because you're from here. I just moved here a few days ago, don't know anyone in town, and am quite lonely because I had to leave my boyfriend in my former city. PM me :)

Last edited:
OH! On another note, I'd love to meet up with some of you guys that are here already whether for research or because you're from here. I just moved here a few days ago, don't know anyone in town, and am quite lonely because I had to leave my boyfriend in my former city. PM me :)

I expect you'll be receiving many messages from UTSW men :love:

I expect you'll be receiving many messages from UTSW men :love:

Hahaha! That's totally not what I meant! I'm lonely doesn't mean I'm looking for anything like that... I actually included boyfriend to deter anyone from going that direction :laugh:

Hey everyone!

I just got in via the waiting list, and I'm super excited. I'm now in the process of looking for housing and roommate, so if anyone needs a female roommate, PM me or something. I don't smoke and don't own any pets. I'm pretty clean and easy to get along with.

Laters,
--SweetDreams

on that note, I'm still waiting on the waiting list but I currently live in dallas and do clinical research at UTSW and have a brother that will be 4th year here so if anyone has any questions I'd be more then happy to help if I can.

Hey Guys,
So I'm from San Antonio and am trying to find a male roommate for the Medical Park Apartments. Between graduation and the NBA Finals, I've been a little slow in getting my stuff together apartment-wise. The Med Park complex seem really convenient for first years and would be a safe bet until I can find something next year. Any way, I'd be planning to provide a fair amount of stuff for the apartment ala couch, TV, etc. Please PM me if you have any interest or are looking for a roommate. Thanks and this fall is going to be awesome.
- Fredo

hey guys...
I just got in to UT Southwestern via waitlist!! and am going out of my mind :)!!
Just wanted to say hi...I will probably have more questions..but right now I am just celebrating :)!!!

Hey guys... just a quick ?
Any idea when the first day of class/orientation is??

Thanks.

For some reason August 11-13 sticks out in my head as the orientation weekend information but I may be wrong

For some reason August 11-13 sticks out in my head as the orientation weekend information but I may be wrong

I believe that is correct. (If anyone has any more info about orientation, please share! :) )

PS. Nothing about the background check yet?

I haven't gotten any mail or e-mail about it yet but chances are they start most of it with the info already provided and only contact us if something comes up like they do for ibanking jobs.

yeah, i too have been somewhat on pause as far as making preparations for the move but now am trying to tie all loose ends. i have a 2 bedroom apartment at medpark and would like to get a roommate soon...if anyone's interested let me know...i'm currently an MS0

Are you a boy or a girl? I think med park does same gender roommates as far as I know.