Utah (IS) vs. TX-Houston (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuxDrugs&Rocuronium

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to Houston after already being set on Utah. Here’s my pros and cons for each school.

Utah
Pros:

Live near family
Don’t have to move out of state
In state tuition
Possibly living with family to save money

Cons:
Newer school, unsure about patient base and volume
Living near family
Will most likely have to commute 40 minutes each way
Don’t want to practice in Utah after graduating

Houston

Pros:
Can get instate tuition after first year, and even out of state tuition is comparable to Utah’s instate
Well established school
Higher patient volume
Cheap housing

Cons:
Have to move out of state
Don’t know much about Houston
Might be equal in costs slightly higher than Utah with the added housing expenses
Away from family.

If we stay in Utah, my wife daughter and I will most likely live in my in-laws basement which will save us from paying rent. I would also be able to pay for my first year at Utah in cash, but at Houston we would need that money to buy a house to get instate tuition after the first year. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think there is more opportunity at Houston. Personally, I think that the money saved to live with in-laws for four years isn’t worth the sacrifice in freedoms. You will enjoy living more over the four year period if you have your own place. Owning a home during dental school could also be a good investment. Houston is cheaper. Utah is a fairly closed off place for new dentists and in my opinion Houston will open more doors to practice opportunities in the future. I am from Utah and most people here simply think there are too many dentists and most dentist in Utah do not like the fact that there are dental schools in Utah due to the saturation. There is a reason why the Utah has the lowest average income out of any state for dentists (129k). So yeah my vote goes to Houston for sure! Good luck on the decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Houston is a great school and the dean is working hard there to make it even better. Houston is the fourth largest city in the US and the most diverse one as well. There is a ton of stuff to do if you look for it. Homes can range the gamut in cost depending on the area (duh) but if your daughter is pretty young you won't be constrained to living in an expensive neighborhood with good schools.

Texas is a great state to live and work in. We have no state income tax and a low cost of living so your money goes further. If you're willing to live in a smaller town I know a lot of GPs who run fee for service practices in suburbs and within an hour drive from the major cities.

Reactions: 1 users
I would go to Houston, they're prob similar in cost so I don't think that should be your deciding factor for the two schools. As App Dental Boi pointed out, TX has no state income tax which is a huge plus imo, especially once you start working there after graduation.

I also would not commute 40 minutes every day between home and school (for me anything 30+ min is not worth it), and since you don't want to practice in UT there really is no point to go there then.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Houston all the way. Yeah living closer and saving a little money would be nice, but the program, extreme lack of clinical exposure and egotistical nature of Utah would not be worth it. You’d be happier at Houston.

Reactions: 1 user