Utah vs UoP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoatest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you choose if you had HPSP to cover the cost of tuition?
I am married and the rent for a small studio in San Francisco is ~$3,000... compared to Utah where I could get a 2-bedroom apartment for ~$1200. My stipend is around $2,000/month.

Both schools are extraordinary. Utah is closer to family, cheaper to live, smaller class size... but it is a 4 year program instead of 3. Which would you choose? Any thoughts on either school? I plan on OMFS after.

Members don't see this ad.

utah because its cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
The difference of ~$65,000 over 3 years in just living expenses is pretty convincing. Utah is my vote.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UOP grad.

If you're doing HPSP then it should be a no brainer, UOP. Because it's not 3 vs 4 it's 6 vs 8 with payback.

Don't sweat the $65k difference, that's literally small potatoes compared to an extra TWO years of practice out of the military (if that's what you choose).

Getting right into OS would possibly be more difficult with UOP due to the fast timeline but people do it every year.

Reactions: 1 users
Does the HPSP require year for year (3 years for UoP, 4 for Utah) or is it a 4-year minimum? That makes a difference, especially based on @LogOff 's logic.

LogOgg's logic is correct, I already checked with my recruiter. I have a 4-year scholarship currently but it would be changed to 3 if I went to UoP.

LogOgg's logic is correct, I already checked with my recruiter. I have a 4-year scholarship currently but it would be changed to 3 if I went to UoP.

It's a good program and the 3-yr payback is unbeatable! I vote UoP.

Reactions: 1 users
UOP grad.

If you're doing HPSP then it should be a no brainer, UOP. Because it's not 3 vs 4 it's 6 vs 8 with payback.

Don't sweat the $65k difference, that's literally small potatoes compared to an extra TWO years of practice out of the military (if that's what you choose).

Getting right into OS would possibly be more difficult with UOP due to the fast timeline but people do it every year.

This.