utdb vs nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkikkokka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry guys it's another thread of this or that...
it's not like i'm asking you to choose a school for me, but i would like to hear some opinions about it...:D
i'm debating between utdb at houston and nyu
both schools will teach me well i believe...
i'm a tx resident, so i would save lotz money at utdb
but i can be closer to my family at nyu...
i don't know if it's worth it to pay that much more to go to nyu ...i absolutely loved the school- class size doesn't matter to me, i loved the location, facilities are top notch . yea i'm leaning more toward nyu, but tuition is the problem about nyu...

what to do...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

UTDB. houston is a great city tooo! not that bad!.smaller class....
welll if you have wealthy parents who supports you while in Dschool....why not NYU then.! NY is one of my fav city to vsit but its too expensive to live near NYU though.

My advice is to go where you really want to be and will enjoy living. If that's with your family, then do that. I would try to decide which factor is more important to you, the cost or the location, and pick from there. If cost is not imperative, it might be worth it to be where you are happiest. If cost is very important, then you have utdb. I would take your time to decide what is more important and go from there. Try to think where you would be a better dental student, surrounded by family or where you currently reside. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it is not worth it to pay that much more to go to NYU. Not when you have an acceptance at a Texas school as a TX resident. Go to Texas for 4 years, save a huge amount your future loan payments, and move to NYC for residency or to work for a few years after graduation.

Easy answer, unquestionably, your state school :D

less than half the price for arguably (depends on who you ask :cool:) a better school with a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class size (more impt than you might think) ...

but how's the grading system at NYU? It's hard as crap here at DB. Each individual point matters...so a 92 is different from a 93 and the GPA is taken out to .001 so a 91.889 is different from a 91.888.... So if you're looking to specialize, be prepared to aim for 100 on EVERYTHING, not merely an A...

less than half the price for arguably (depends on who you ask :cool:) a better school with a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class size (more impt than you might think) ...

but how's the grading system at NYU? It's hard as crap here at DB. Each individual point matters...so a 92 is different from a 93 and the GPA is taken out to .001 so a 91.889 is different from a 91.888.... So if you're looking to specialize, be prepared to aim for 100 on EVERYTHING, not merely an A...

OK, I do agree with what DC just said, but it is not as cut throat as he made it sound though. Yes, people aim to get the best grades as they can, but people here are EXTREMELY helpful and willing to share any study materials they have unlike some schools.

One thing you do have to look at when thinking about what DC said abovee, yes, if you want to specialize here you shoot to get the highest score you can, not just an A. But on the otherhand, it is easier to separate yourslef from others because each point does count. If you are a strong student and usually get 96s compared to the average student who gets low A's (91's), it is easier to be separate from the low A student here. At other schools, the A is an A no matter what the score. Here, you have the ability to widen the gap with each exam. Then again, if you are not a strong student, it hurts you because you have to work even harder to make a higher class rank since every point does count as compared to a school where an A is an A.

OK, I do agree with what DC just said, but it is not as cut throat as he made it sound though. Yes, people aim to get the best grades as they can, but people here are EXTREMELY helpful and willing to share any study materials they have unlike some schools.

One thing you do have to look at when thinking about what DC said abovee, yes, if you want to specialize here you shoot to get the highest score you can, not just an A. But on the otherhand, it is easier to separate yourslef from others because each point does count. If you are a strong student and usually get 96s compared to the average student who gets low A's (91's), it is easier to be separate from the low A student here. At other schools, the A is an A no matter what the score. Here, you have the ability to widen the gap with each exam. Then again, if you are not a strong student, it hurts you because you have to work even harder to make a higher class rank since every point does count as compared to a school where an A is an A.

That's why I am glad I just want to do general dentistry. I learn as much as I can and do the best that I can, and I don't stress about grades, no matter whether it's an A, B, or C.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)
yea it's a tough decision to make...........maybe i should write down the positive things and negative things about each school and see what i end up with...haha
thank you again! and good luck with your decision too! :luck:

It will be pure insanity to choose NYU over Houston. 400k vs. 40k? You can buy as many as 720 plane tickets [1 round-trip ticket every other day] by the tuition difference during the four years in order to visit your family at Ny.

It will be pure insanity to choose NYU over Houston. 400k vs. 40k? You can buy as many as 720 plane tickets [1 round-trip ticket every other day] by the tuition difference during the four years in order to visit your family at Ny.

+1

and +1 for the math skills :p

oh haha never thought in that way! :) yea...nyu is too expensive.......

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in NYU, as well. I also got into UTHSC - San Antonio. I loved the facilities and patient pool at NYU. NY is a great city and I would love the experience. But, realistically thinking....choosing the state school is better off, since TUITION IS WAY CHEAPER and the money you save in tuition (or the money you save from taking out extra loans for NYU) can help you open up your own practice quicker.

That's why I am glad I just want to do general dentistry. I learn as much as I can and do the best that I can, and I don't stress about grades, no matter whether it's an A, B, or C.

My philosophy is it doesn't matter what your GPA in the end is if you are satisfied with being a general dentist. in the end, I would rather have an 82 average (B average) and be a very competent dentist who understand all dentla concepts and can relate them to real world situations than have a 94 average (A average) because you have a photographic memory but cannot relate the info you memorized to realife situations. I see that a lot from those who are caught up in grades. I let my hands to my talking!

My philosophy is it doesn't matter what your GPA in the end is if you are satisfied with being a general dentist. in the end, I would rather have an 82 average (B average) and be a very competent dentist who understand all dentla concepts and can relate them to real world situations than have a 94 average (A average) because you have a photographic memory but cannot relate the info you memorized to realife situations. I see that a lot from those who are caught up in grades. I let my hands to my talking!

Amen! By the way... how are you liking clinic now?

Thanks for clarifying...I definitely did not mean to give the impression that UTDB was cut-throat, just that it was a competitive environment where scrapping for points here and there can be important depending on what you want to do. But I think you would also agree with me that having a small class size and the type of cooperative/friendly atmosphere that we have here really breeds a higher level of understanding.

And in terms of the 400K vs 40K...that may be the cost of tuition but the annual budget counting living expenses is about 40-45K/yr so its more like 400K vs ~170K...unless the 400K for NYU is JUST tuition and not taking into account the living expenses...which would just be insane...

Houston...no question about it. It's cheaper and its a better school. I may be biased because my dentist went there and she's amazing!

Houston...no question about it. It's cheaper and its a better school. I may be biased because my dentist went there and she's amazing!

New song just out by T-Pain "I'm in love with a dentist"

And in terms of the 400K vs 40K...that may be the cost of tuition but the annual budget counting living expenses is about 40-45K/yr so its more like 400K vs ~170K...unless the 400K for NYU is JUST tuition and not taking into account the living expenses...which would just be insane...

400K is including living expenses...but it's more like 360K or something like that...:scared:

sorry guys i had to bring up the old post that i made like a month ago
i was just wondering if there is any other idea/suggestion/advice regarding utdb vs nyu.....
any input will be appreciated!!! thanx :)

Unless you are absolutely load with money then the hands down decision is Houston. I will be going to NYU because it is a great school but also because its the only one I got into thus far. If I have a cheaper option come along then you better know I will probably take it. Really no matter where you go to dental school as long as you associate with the right people and keep an open mind you can have a good time and become a great dentist. Save the money and go to houston, then use that money later in life to move close to your family, buy a house, etc... Also you are only a hop and skip on a jet away from your family and realistically you are only going to see them on holidays anyways so theoretically your family is never that far away no matter where you are in the country.

It seems like you're still having a tough time deciding. My vote is for UTDB. You're going to be getting a good education at roughly 80% the cost of NYU (~400K vs 80K).

UTDB.

it would be foolish to pay 300K more to attend NYU.

Save the $, I vote for your state school:thumbup:

Thank you for your advice everyone!!!! :)
yea i'm still having a real tough time deciding where where where.
my goal is to be certain by today at least so i can send in the deposit tomorrow.........
thanx again and good luck with your decisions :luck::)

Houston, :), its way cheaper!!!

yea i decided to go to houston! thanx guys :D

:D
See you guys!