This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone was planning on applying to UTHSC Pharmacy School in Memphis this fall, or if there are any pharmacy students that currently attend and would be willing to give some advice on admissions?

Earlier in college I had a lot of health issues and didn't perform as well as I'd hoped. I have a couple W's on my transcript from that time and received a C in my organic chemistry class, but since then I've received nearly all A's in my courses (including an ochem retake and retaking one of my withdrawn classes) and should be graduating with a 3.6 overall GPA and a 3.3-3.4 pre-req GPA. I am scheduled to take the PCAT in September, as well. I have held a leadership position, have been on the Dean's List for multiple consecutive semesters, as well as worked in a pharmacy for 1+ years. My LORs are going to be from the pharmacists I worked with. Despite my poor grades at the beginning of college, do you think that I'd be a contender for their program?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone going through UTHSC interview process? How was the interview and the onsite writing essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going through UTHSC interview process? How was the interview and the onsite writing essay?
I applied and submitted my completed pharmcas app in December of 2017 and my interview was on 02/05/18.Interview day consisted of presentations, tour, meeting admissions, timed essay, and interview. The writing was not hard at all, nothing to feel nervous about (promise lol). I was called the following next morning on my acceptance to begin this upcoming fall.The interview is very laid back but I would recommend preparation by taking a deeper picture as to your purpose in Pharmacy if you never done so. Know your self worth besides they want to get to know you. Look at them as if they are your spokesperson to help you, not to hurt you. In other words, tell them everything you can that would help you, not hurt you.

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone was planning on applying to UTHSC Pharmacy School in Memphis this fall, or if there are any pharmacy students that currently attend and would be willing to give some advice on admissions?

Earlier in college I had a lot of health issues and didn't perform as well as I'd hoped. I have a couple W's on my transcript from that time and received a C in my organic chemistry class, but since then I've received nearly all A's in my courses (including an ochem retake and retaking one of my withdrawn classes) and should be graduating with a 3.6 overall GPA and a 3.3-3.4 pre-req GPA. I am scheduled to take the PCAT in September, as well. I have held a leadership position, have been on the Dean's List for multiple consecutive semesters, as well as worked in a pharmacy for 1+ years. My LORs are going to be from the pharmacists I worked with. Despite my poor grades at the beginning of college, do you think that I'd be a contender for their program?

Thank you!

I understand your concern and sometimes we can be very hard on ourselves. During the interview process, I found out that UT is very understanding to “life happens” as long as you show developmental progress afterwards. Grades, gpa, and pcat scores are only 3 of many other attributes that they observe. Leadership, volunteer work, tutor, TA, and etc mean just as much too. Don’t be too hard on your self, I even made a C in organic and was accepted.