UTHSC San Antonio class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any new prematch offers this week??

Members don't see this ad.

pasting this from another thread... any current tech students care to lend some info? (or applicants that are wiser than me?)

s2452 said:
Thanks to everyone on here for all the information you have provided.

I have put a few questions in order to compare the schools that I am looking at right now. I am sure a lot of them have been answered before, but I just want to put it all together. Thanks in advance to your input.

How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?

Are there ever quizzes?

How are students graded in the first and second years?

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?

And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?

Are powerpoints posted online?

How did you study for USMLE Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?

Don't know about Tech, but for UTHSCSA answers are below.

pasting this from another thread... any current tech students care to lend some info? (or applicants that are wiser than me?)

How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?
Tests at the end of each module (e.g. end of cardio, end of pulmonary, etc) and each module lasts about a month though can be shorter if less needs to be covered. In MS2 usu 1 combined test other than psyc. MS1 usu separated out during test week though some may be combined like anatomy / histo

Are there ever quizzes? Usu not. Two exceptions: Anatomy quiz (they'll give you the questions before hand so very easy) and Physio once a week. The latter is good to make sure you're keeping up with the material.

How are students graded in the first and second years?
Usu A B C F. The exception is On Becoming a Doctor which is pass/fail.

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?
There are class goers and then everybody else. Just a matter of personal preference. Don't know exact #s, depends on your class and who wants to go. The lecture classes are usually optional. The labs are required.

And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?
Typically the syllabus is enough to get an A. Buying a book/text is usu not required unless you're struggling or having a hard time. Even then I'd suggest looking online for clarification or email your prof. The exception to this might be an anatomy atlas during first year anatomy. For second year review books are good to have though not required.

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?
Not anymore. Everything is usu in the syllabus.

Are powerpoints posted online?
Yes
How did you study for USMLE Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?
This is not school specific. Look in the big step 1 threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, thanks for all of the info Twitch! I thought our little thread was dying here...

This break is so strange. I don't really know what to do with myself. I don't have ANYTHING to be doing for the first time in recent memory and it's bittersweet, because my brain can't handle not worrying about something.

yes, thank you so much twitch!!!

(and you were right: i meant uthscsa not tech... had two threads open and typed the wrong thing! :oops: )

one last question: are lectures audio recorded? video recorded?

THANKS!!!

yes, thank you so much twitch!!!

(and you were right: i meant uthscsa not tech... had two threads open and typed the wrong thing! :oops: )

one last question: are lectures audio recorded? video recorded?

THANKS!!!

The lectures are audio recorded.

Since you are graded A/B/C/F...are the grades assigned a numerical value like in undergrad? 4.0..3.0..2.0..etc.

If so, are you given a GPA and class rank?

Thanks for your help!

Since you are graded A/B/C/F...are the grades assigned a numerical value like in undergrad? 4.0..3.0..2.0..etc.

If so, are you given a GPA and class rank?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the letter grades are assigned a numerical value:
A = 4.0
B = 3.0
etc.....

There are no A+, A-, etc.

You are given a class rank based of your MS1 grades and you'll get that information as well as your GPA at the start of your second year. It takes the registrar's office a while apparently.

Anyone have an idea what the deferral policy is? Are they pretty hard to come by, or can it be done with a legitimate reason?

Any new pre-match offers? Haha.

I hear tell that December 31st, some lucky people may be hearing something. Any verification on this?

I was really hoping for an awesome Christmas present from them by today, but I wouldn't be surprised if the holidays are pushing things back. Heh, everyday I go check this thread afraid there will be a few cheers of pre-match offers meaning I missed the bus. :p

Anyone have an idea what the deferral policy is? Are they pretty hard to come by, or can it be done with a legitimate reason?

I had to request a for a deferral in my matriculation year and it was approved. I just wrote a letter of request/intent with a valid reason and followed up. Also, during the following year when they would start sending out information about matriculating, etc, I always called the registrar's office and made sure my information was up-to-date and they knew my situation and that I received everything like everyone else. I was always concerned I would fall through the cracks because I deferred but everything turned out great.

I was really hoping for an awesome Christmas present from them by today, but I wouldn't be surprised if the holidays are pushing things back. Heh, everyday I go check this thread afraid there will be a few cheers of pre-match offers meaning I missed the bus. :p

Lol! I'm right there with you, my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
They must not have sent out many pre-matches.. otherwise this wouldn't be one of the most deserted threads. Don't despair!

Yeah, I was wondering why not many people were in here. Quite honestly, I don't know of many people that got any pre-matches from UTHSCSA.

Hmmm. Let's hope they put the lead out and give us some pre-match action within the next six days. ^_^

Lol! I'm right there with you, my friend.
I'm in the same boat too, buddy. Let's hope they come around to sending out a batch soon. I did hear that they are sending out multiple batches by Dec. 31st.

Yeah, I was wondering why not many people were in here. Quite honestly, I don't know of many people that got any pre-matches from UTHSCSA.

Hmmm. Let's hope they put the lead out and give us some pre-match action within the next six days. ^_^

hey i'm around too... diligently reading--just not saying much!! haha!

has anyone yet heard of any sort of 'second look'-type thing were we can go see the school again before jan 15?

also are there any current students around that can give some info about the test schedule? how stressfull is the block system, etc.?

Hey all! I hope everyone is having a great holiday!!

Any current students- When I visited the school and talked to the students and faculty, everyone made me feel like UTHSCSA had a sense of community which I absolutely LOVED. How does the fact that the school ranks the 1st and 2nd year affect that work towards a cohesive community? Do kids isolate themselves for a "better rank"?

I really really enjoyed the school when I visited, so I hope competition really is not a big problem. I feel like medical school will be tough enough without having to go through it alone.

Thank you so much for your help!

also are there any current students around that can give some info about the test schedule? how stressfull is the block system, etc.?

During MS1, you'll have tests anywhere between 4-6 weeks. Usually it's about every 4 weeks though. Your first test will usually start on a Friday and continue through the entire next week. Here's the MS1 calendar for this year: http://www.uthscsaco2012.com/calender.html. You can flip through the past months and get a sense of the test schedule.

Any current students- When I visited the school and talked to the students and faculty, everyone made me feel like UTHSCSA had a sense of community which I absolutely LOVED. How does the fact that the school ranks the 1st and 2nd year affect that work towards a cohesive community? Do kids isolate themselves for a "better rank"?

I really really enjoyed the school when I visited, so I hope competition really is not a big problem. I feel like medical school will be tough enough without having to go through it alone.

Thank you so much for your help!

Well, since you don't get ranked until the beginning of MS2, you'll probably stick with your group of peers/friends that you've hung out with during your MS1 year. That's been the case for my class so far and will probably be that way for your class. Think of med school like another level of high school. You'll form your cliques and stick with them. Unless you or your friends are that type of person who lets rank matter that much that they feel they need to drop their friends and isolate themselves, well I'm sorry. I haven't found that situation to be the case and if it is, it's probably rare. Competition isn't really an issue at our school. But needless to say, no schools or classes are without a couple of seriously competitive students.

hey thanks Roshario!

i actually already knew the specific schedule--i should have been more specific: how do you like the schedule? what's your opinion of it? do you think you perform to your potential with the system?

I'm in the same boat too, buddy. Let's hope they come around to sending out a batch soon. I did hear that they are sending out multiple batches by Dec. 31st.

Hoping and praying, my friend :xf:.

hey i'm around too... diligently reading--just not saying much!! haha!

Haha! Well, off the top of my head, I can say that I only know of 3-4 people that I know personally who got accepted (and two of them have already rejected, which can only be good for the rest of us! :p). Congrats on the acceptance by the way; I can only hope that I'll be bumping in to the rest of you all this coming year :D.

By the way... does it bug anyone else that is hoping for San Antonio that we're not first choice for them, yet we're being so darn persistent? Haha.

How hard is the Biochemistry Exemption Exam?

Anyone have a clue approximately how many more pre-matches are going out on the 31st?

On the Texas thread it seems SA sent out mail with acceptances.

Hey all,

CONGRATS on your acceptances! I remember feeling the same way this time last year... it was definitely a great Christmas and New Years having already been accepted to med school!

I am a current first year student and would love to be of any assistance to you all. I know I can't offer as much "wisdom" as my MSII counterparts on here (twitch and roshario...y'all are awesome... helped me out a lot this time last year!), but I can definitely give a "first year's" perspective. A lot of what you are about to go through is still fresh on my mind, so don't hesitate to ask. You can PM me, too, if you want!

Take care and ENJOY the coming months and year... it's AWESOME!

hey thanks Roshario!

i actually already knew the specific schedule--i should have been more specific: how do you like the schedule? what's your opinion of it? do you think you perform to your potential with the system?

I guess before med school I was only used to the midterm and final exam format. So besides undergrad and med school module format, I really have nothing else to compare that type of block learning. I guess I've just gotten use to it. As to whether I feel it lets me perform to my max: yes, but not because of the how the schedule is, but I've just learned to adapt to perform at my best.

So I'm not sure how many people in my class took the Biochem Exemption exam... I heard it's tough. Actually, there is a guy with a PhD in BioChem in our class who went ahead and just took the class. Biochem is VERY "front-loaded" (as in, the first two modules make up about 1/2 of your grade, with the rest of the modules being notably 'easier'). While I'm not a very big fan of biochem at all, I have actually enjoyed having to learn all of the clinical aspects associated with Biochem. So yeah, you'll have to relearn Kreb's, Fatty Acid Oxidation, Heme and Hemoglobin...etc etc... but I actually think it is well worth it to just take the class in order to get a preview of pathology associated with each of the pathways. Just my opinion tho.

So I'm not sure how many people in my class took the Biochem Exemption exam... I heard it's tough. Actually, there is a guy with a PhD in BioChem in our class who went ahead and just took the class. Biochem is VERY "front-loaded" (as in, the first two modules make up about 1/2 of your grade, with the rest of the modules being notably 'easier'). While I'm not a very big fan of biochem at all, I have actually enjoyed having to learn all of the clinical aspects associated with Biochem. So yeah, you'll have to relearn Kreb's, Fatty Acid Oxidation, Heme and Hemoglobin...etc etc... but I actually think it is well worth it to just take the class in order to get a preview of pathology associated with each of the pathways. Just my opinion tho.
Who'd want to test out of biochem anyways? Bunch of crazies.

Haha, it's a serious question, Maggie! It was my favorite class. So "favorite", in fact, that my major electives for undergrad were all biochemistry related ;P.

All quiet on the Western front...

:xf:
lol
That's the opening line to our video "Soviet Tank Wars-Titanic Rave Mix" celebrating the end of finals.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOsLrvVmwOE[/youtube]

ROFL! :laugh:

They could make a FOX special out of that. Peter Cullen can narrate; I would pay money to hear him say, "pre-med pandemonium" or something of the sort.

By the way, I'm digging the Theotokos icon. :thumbup:

I'm crossing my fingers for an acceptance today. UTHSCSA is definitely my top choice right now. Good luck to everyone who's waiting!

I'm right there with you, ibleedorange.

You're all in my prayers today. Let's hope we get some good news! :D

So either everyone's too busy celebrating or those of us waiting have all been left hanging. I'm unfamiliar with the technicalities of the process (ie arrive via mail, but must be postmarked by 31st). Any way they can still send out offers or have I been doomed to another two months of hoping?

So either everyone's too busy celebrating or those of us waiting have all been left hanging. I'm unfamiliar with the technicalities of the process (ie arrive via mail, but must be postmarked by 31st). Any way they can still send out offers or have I been doomed to another two months of hoping?
Nobody got anything, I don't think. Who knows... maybe it got sent snail mail. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I had called the Admissions office at around 4PM, and the woman I spoke to told me that nobody was there. :(

Random question: Has anyone every played Trauma Center: Second Opinion for the Wii?

Random question: Has anyone every played Trauma Center: Second Opinion for the Wii?
I played the first Trauma Center on DS a while back; it was pretty fun.

Here's another random question: has anyone played the new Prince of Persia game? I've been playing it on Xbox360, and it's pretty good.

I have to admit that I've been a fan of cell-shading since Viewtiful Joe and Windwaker came out, but it really brings out some interesting artistic effects in this PoP game.

This thread has officially gone OT ;P.

I know that getting accepted still hasn't sunk in for me. The fact that we start in 6-7 months away is shocking. Anyone else feel that way?

I know it hasn't sunk in for me yet. Especially since this is my second time applying.

I know it hasn't sunk in for me yet. Especially since this is my second time applying.

Congrats!! What did you do to improve your app this year?

I really thought that I wouldn't get in this year. My GPA is low and my MCAT is average. UTHSCSA was my only interview and I interviewed somewhat late (early November). I didn't even check my email on November 14th until 5:30 when I got home from work because I wasn't expecting a pre-match offer. It was an amazing feeling to see that acceptance in my inbox, as I'm sure you know.

Yeah I didn’t check my email till after work too. It was a great feeling. This year all I did was reword my app and add a few things here and there. I can’t really say that I did that much different except that last year I applied a month before the deadline and this year I applied in the first batch. I thing that did the trick. Well who cares what your GPA and MCAT are now...you’re in so don’t worry about it anymore right?

yeah i didn't check my email till after work too. It was a great feeling. This year all i did was reword my app and add a few things here and there. I can't really say that i did that much different except that last year i applied a month before the deadline and this year i applied in the first batch. I thing that did the trick. Well who cares what your gpa and mcat are now...you're in so don't worry about it anymore right?

exactly!!!

Just want to let everyone know that there is a facebook group for our class. I just found it today.

UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2013