UTHSC San Antonio class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey anyone else just receive their registration packets here recently? Finally got my e-mail set up, but there was an e-mail in there about some kind of online course I have to take (30 minute course or so) that was due by 4/20. Not getting my e-mail address until this weekend kind of made that impossible. Anyone hear anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea... i had that email also. I just went ahead and completed the online course anyway (it takes <5 mins) even though it is overdue. i don't think they can fault any of us since the email about it was in our inbox that we didn't yet have access to.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI - I found the fall schedule online, and have been inputting the class schedule into a google calendar. I am through the first exam, so I thought I would share this with other visual people like me :) I will continue to input the class schedule over the next week or so. Also, I found a uthscsa co2013 webpage. No idea who set it up, or who is the admin on it, but I volunteered to manage the calendar so that we had one central webpage. It's pretty bare right now, but it can be improved! Hope this helps!

P.S. I have not yet received any info from UTHSCSA (I was accepted off the wait list), so if any of this is repetitive, I'm sorry!

FYI - I found the fall schedule online, and have been inputting the class schedule into a google calendar. I am through the first exam, so I thought I would share this with other visual people like me :) I will continue to input the class schedule over the next week or so. Also, I found a uthscsa co2013 webpage. No idea who set it up, or who is the admin on it, but I volunteered to manage the calendar so that we had one central webpage. It's pretty bare right now, but it can be improved! Hope this helps!

P.S. I have not yet received any info from UTHSCSA (I was accepted off the wait list), so if any of this is repetitive, I'm sorry!

Thanks for the website!! I had no idea it existed, and it looks like it will be extremely helpful.

Questions for the existing students about the class schedule:
1. What's the difference between an anatomy lecture and an anatomy conf(erence?)?
2. Why are anatomy labs always doubled up for the first hour with an anatomy lecture?
3. How much studying will On Becoming A Doctor required? I know its pass/fail, but what does it entail?
4. What is the Dean's Hour?
5. What's the difference between a MicroAnatomy lab and a Microbiology lab?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I also have a question for existing students, particularly ones just finishing 2nd year or current 3rd/4th years. When do we take Step 1 at UTHSCSA? Do they prefer a specific date, or within a certain time frame after your 2nd year ends? Just trying to plan a bit ahead because I'll be planning a wedding that summer (not so much me doing the planning, but I will at least have to present for the ceremony, lol).

Questions for the existing students about the class schedule:
1. What's the difference between an anatomy lecture and an anatomy conf(erence?)?
2. Why are anatomy labs always doubled up for the first hour with an anatomy lecture?
3. How much studying will On Becoming A Doctor required? I know its pass/fail, but what does it entail?
4. What is the Dean's Hour?
5. What's the difference between a MicroAnatomy lab and a Microbiology lab?

Thanks!

1. Anatomy conferences are usually when they bring in guest speakers or special topics are covered that's more clinically related and sometimes it's mandatory.

2. The schedule that the student used to enter into the Google calendar that was found on the Student Services website is not the final schedule. It's an awful format and hard to read (the student service calendar...not the Google). So where you see overlap can mean two things. Sometimes you'll have an anatomy lecture prior to anatomy lab. And before all anatomy lab, you're in the lecture hall either taking a weekly quiz and/or watching a pre-made dissection video to give you a visual of what to look for and expect and then everyone rushes off to anatomy lab.

3. Don't really need to study much for OBD. IF I studied, it was usually the morning of or the night before.

4. Dean's hour is when the SOM Deans discuss an important topic with the class. The first one I believe is more of a welcome one but can't really remember. You'll have several throughout the year.

5. Microanatomy = histology...so it's not the same as microbiology where you talk about bugs and immunology stuff.

Hope this clarified some confusion. :)

I also have a question for existing students, particularly ones just finishing 2nd year or current 3rd/4th years. When do we take Step 1 at UTHSCSA? Do they prefer a specific date, or within a certain time frame after your 2nd year ends? Just trying to plan a bit ahead because I'll be planning a wedding that summer (not so much me doing the planning, but I will at least have to present for the ceremony, lol).

For us this year (I'm currently studying for Step 1), we finished our last MS2 exam Tues, Apr 28. Most students take the rest of the week off to rest before hitting the books again for Step 1 the following Mon.

We can take the test anytime BEFORE Mon, 22 June which I when we start MS3. So that gives you approx 8 weeks from the last MS2 final exam until the start of MS3. Most student take about 4-6 weeks to study and then take the test. I'll be taking my test on Jun 11 so I'll have a week off before I start MS3. I know one of my good friend had her wedding the weekend after our last MS2 final exam so she did not have to worry about wedding stuff while studying for Step 1 (of course she didn't have a honeymoon right after).

Hey guys, I was accepted today off the waitlist! I look forward to meeting everyone :)

Congrats! I'm starting to get excited (although that might be more due to the fact that we have sold our house and are moving in two weeks!)...

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what are some good places to live at? I need to sign a lease ASAP. I need something with wood floors and a yard because I have two dogs. Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

When do we register for classes?

Last edited:
Hey what's up guys, I just had a question about the equipment we need as a MS1. I just got a package with all kinds of packages of otoscopes, tuning forks and the like, so what actually do I need to buy? They want us to buy everything before we start and it seems excessive especially for just a MS1. Thanks

Hey what's up guys, I just had a question about the equipment we need as a MS1. I just got a package with all kinds of packages of otoscopes, tuning forks and the like, so what actually do I need to buy? They want us to buy everything before we start and it seems excessive especially for just a MS1. Thanks

All you need right now are stethoscope, pen light and possibly a pocket eye chart. Everything else is provided in the clinical skills room where you'll work with the standardized patients to learn the various parts of the physical examination.

During MS2 however, you will be doing full physical exam on real patients on the wards several times throughout the year and there is no equipment in the patient room for you to use but you are still responsible for every aspect of the physical exam and your supervising physician will expect you to be prepared as such meaning you'll need the equipment (even if it means you have to borrow from a classmate if you still decided you didn't want to buy all the stuff).

Really? On that sheet with everything listed it says it is required. I figured I would wait and would just ask once we got there...

Really? On that sheet with everything listed it says it is required. I figured I would wait and would just ask once we got there...

I'm assuming you mean the sheet that list all the equipment and I still stand by what I said. The instructors will encourage you to buy all the equipment but like I said you don't need all of it. The clinical skills center has most of the stuff except a stethoscope. If you do plan on buying all the stuff (I did but only because someone else paid for it all) then I would still wait til school started as there will a student in your class who will organize a group order from a seller at a better price than the school's bookstore. We had a contact for our class and the class after us had one too. If you're interested in being that person to organize a group order I can get you in contact or those who have done it before.

Do we really have to pay $400 for the first semester's study materials? This is the syllabi and histology slides, yes?

Is there a major benefit with getting the standard laptop they offer or are you better off buying your own?

Do we really have to pay $400 for the first semester's study materials? This is the syllabi and histology slides, yes?

Is there a major benefit with getting the standard laptop they offer or are you better off buying your own?

Yep. Have to pay that fee for the first semester and then again for the spring semester. And since you're directly paying that money to a secretary in the dean's office, you have to pay be check or cash. No credit cards.

I think the only benefit of the school's laptop offer for a Dell is the warranty but other than that, it's a bit over priced and you can get a decent laptop for cheaper for all your needs unless you're a serious gamer/ hacker/ programmer by night....then.....I'd still get a different laptop besides the one the school offers.

Hey everybody, to my disbelief I got a call from Dr. Jones this evening and was accepted off of the WL! I'm still in shock and very excited, but I'm also trying to gather some more information...

For current MSI/MSIIs, what do y'all think of the curriculum and testing schedule at UTHSCSA? Were the "test weeks" like having a finals week once a month or so all year long?

How do y'all think that would compare say to Tech's curriculum/test schedule where students study/test in one subject at a time?

Congrats to all of you on being accepted. I'm an MSII with a couple of things I wanted to throw out to all of you:

1. I have a set of barely, and I mean barely, used books/flashcards for you to purchase if interested. The clinical anotomy text, a Rohan's Atlas and Rohan's flashcards (I didn't use these but tons of people in my class did, especially the Rohan's), as well as the Histology Atlas (again I didn't use it, but some in my class did). I'm selling these four items for $75 (new they probably cost me around $250). If you're interested, PM me.

2. As for the recent ? about test weeks: the first round of exams is brutal simply b/c you're unaccustomed to the rigor. As I'm sure you've heard before, the content volume in medical school is significant and the difficulty of test week manifests as a challenge of mental endurance and discipline more than anything else. You get used to it, but that first week is pretty nasty. The upside is that you only have to deal with exams once every month or so rather than a steady exam trickle.

Along with every medical student I've ever spoken with (at UTHSCSA or elsewhere including tech), I had a love/hate relationship with 1st year... it was rewarding, but it was really tough. Medical school is really hard regardless of how it's sliced. Whether you have one exam per week or 5/6 exams every 6 weeks, school is stressful and everyone, and I mean everyone, struggles mentally and emotionally to cope regardless of the testing protocol or curriculum. So, to answer the question directly, I don't think it matters.

Last edited:
Congrats to all of you on being accepted. I'm an MSII with a couple of things I wanted to throw out to all of you:

2. As for the recent ? about test weeks: the first round of exams is brutal simply b/c you're unaccustomed to the rigor. As I'm sure you've heard before, the content volume in medical school is significant and the difficulty of test week manifests as a challenge of mental endurance and discipline more than anything else. You get used to it, but that first week is pretty nasty. The upside is that you only have to deal with exams once every month or so rather than a steady exam trickle.

Along with every medical student I've ever spoken with (at UTHSCSA or elsewhere including tech), I had a love/hate relationship with 1st year... it was rewarding, but it was really tough. Medical school is really hard regardless of how it's sliced. Whether you have one exam per week or 5/6 exams every 6 weeks, school is stressful and everyone, and I mean everyone, struggles mentally and emotionally to cope regardless of the testing protocol or curriculum. So, to answer the question directly, I don't think it matters.

Hey thanks for the congrats and insight Hawk. Another quick question, my wife and I are currently house hunting and I was wondering where the majority of med students live? It seems as though a lot of the good houses really close to campus have already been bought by now, and now we're considering the Lost Creek Presidio or Lost Creek Ranch development about 10-15 minutes north of SA off Ralph Fair Rd and south of Fair Oaks Ranch.

If we dont' find anything closer, do you think living that far out would be a big deal/hassel?

My husband and I were just house hunting down there as well. Our realtor told us to avoid I-10 at all costs. However, I can't speak for much because I've never lived there. We settled out in Alamo Ranch, which is just west of 1604 by 151. I was down there during the week, and I made sure to drive it in the morning when I would be driving to school, and it is only about a 25 minute drive. Not ideal, but i commuted about an hour this year, so I'm ok with it! It's also out of the city, so no city taxes, which makes it slightly more reasonable price-wise.

Hey thanks for the congrats and insight Hawk. Another quick question, my wife and I are currently house hunting and I was wondering where the majority of med students live? It seems as though a lot of the good houses really close to campus have already been bought by now, and now we're considering the Lost Creek Presidio or Lost Creek Ranch development about 10-15 minutes north of SA off Ralph Fair Rd and south of Fair Oaks Ranch.

If we dont' find anything closer, do you think living that far out would be a big deal/hassel?

My take on the proximity issue is get as close as you possibly can! Is a big deal to live farther out? Probably not, but it makes sense to shrink your world to the extent that it's possible so as to preserve time with family, etc. There's a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath for sale in my neighborhood.

MS3 here. We bought a house at De Zavala and Babcock in Oakmont Downs. There are some pretty good deals in our neighborhood as well as in Hart Ranch. We have a good 8-12 houses for sale in our neighborhood.

My morning commute is 10-20 minutes, depending on traffic. Distance is 5 miles.

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

I got into UTHSCSA off the waitlist a few weeks ago. Can anyone give me details about the white coat ceremony? I picked up my packet today and the orientation itenerary only mentions a time and place. What about attire? when should my familly arrive? Seems like we should have to arrive before everyone else (sort of like graduation), but it doesn't say anything about that.

Also, can anyone clue me in on what to wear at UTSA? The school I was gonna go to has a very clear dress code, but if UTSA is anything like my undergrad (UT Austin) then people wear whatever. I just don't want to show up on the first day either way over dressed, or looking like a slob.
Thanks,

reedman

Hi everyone,

I got into UTHSCSA off the waitlist a few weeks ago. Can anyone give me details about the white coat ceremony? I picked up my packet today and the orientation itenerary only mentions a time and place. What about attire? when should my familly arrive? Seems like we should have to arrive before everyone else (sort of like graduation), but it doesn't say anything about that.

Also, can anyone clue me in on what to wear at UTSA? The school I was gonna go to has a very clear dress code, but if UTSA is anything like my undergrad (UT Austin) then people wear whatever. I just don't want to show up on the first day either way over dressed, or looking like a slob.
Thanks,

reedman

Wear your Sunday best to the white coat ceremony (i.e. button up, tie, etc). Your family should arrive early if they want a good seat or just even a seat in the auditorium. I know families were getting there 30-45 min early to save seats. You should be there no more than 15 min prior but most people arrived about 30 min prior. They put you in alphabetical order in the seating.

As for dress code during the year, most days are like undergrad. Wear what you like but that's still appropriate meaning no for instance no mid-drift shirts, mini-skirts, drug promoting attire, etc. Just remember, even though you can dress causally for classes, you still represent the school and the professional body you're training for. Of course there will be some days where you will need to dress up (white coat attire) for when you'll be seeing patients/ standardized patients. They will let you know what days this will occur.

FYI: Oh, for the 1st day of orientation, they will be taking a picture of you that will haunt you for the rest of your school life and they don't mention this fact until you're facing the camera and they say "cheese!" Just keep that in mind when you roll out of bed that day. :)

And yes I'm being picky, but we're not UTSA. UTSA is another institution down the highway. I went to UTSA and we're just not the same schools. :D

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks Roshario, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Has anybody gotten their parking permit yet? If so, what lot do the med students typically like to park in?

Has anybody gotten their parking permit yet? If so, what lot do the med students typically like to park in?

I got mine about two weeks ago, and there is nothing left except for Lot 17 (Zone 5). You have to take a shuttle (when I got my permit, she gave me a schedule) to get to campus. :(

I got mine about two weeks ago, and there is nothing left except for Lot 17 (Zone 5). You have to take a shuttle (when I got my permit, she gave me a schedule) to get to campus. :(

This is indeed the case, Zone 5 it is. However, they have waitlists for other parking zones. The waitlist for Zone 4, which is a lot closer to the med school, is 6-8 months. I went ahead and put myself on it. If you're on one and a spot opens up for you, you just pay the difference (I think) between your current permit and the new one. :cool:

Last edited:
I had a hold on a transcript up until yesterday, so I never received my orientation packet. Is this something I can just pick up on Monday?

I had a hold on a transcript up until yesterday, so I never received my orientation packet. Is this something I can just pick up on Monday?

The schedule is posted online.

http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/CS_RegisMedical.aspx

I never received an orientation packet either. I think we will be fine just showing up Monday in the correct spot. There will be plenty of people there to point us in the right direction!