UTHSCSA (IS) vs. Houston (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDent96

Reaction score
School 1: The University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston (IS)

Pros:
  • Beautiful new building/facilities (where you spend all four years); lots of windows w/ natural light; Sim lab was gorgeous
  • Family culture (discourages gunners)
  • Faculty seemed a little more chill/friendly
  • Big city with small city feel (from what I've heard)
  • Student housing option (however, extremely difficult to get a spot)
Cons:
  • Slightly more expensive
  • Confined to building w/ only dental students
  • Library not opened 24/7
  • Have to schedule own patients (unsure if this is pro or con)
  • Would have to take classes this Spring
School 2: UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry (IS)

Pros:
  • Slightly less expensive
  • Spend D1 & D2 year in older building but has a better library (open 24/7) and also allows interaction with students of other professions (med, nursing, PA, etc)
  • Spend D3 & D4 year in beautiful new building/facilities
  • Patient scheduling is done for you (unsure if this is pro or con)
  • World-class faculty (some of which wrote textbooks used nationally)
  • 40/100 students of last years graduating class went on to further education through specialty/residency programs (didn't have this stat for Houston)
  • Would not have to take classes this Spring (better chance to work and save $)
Cons:
  • Faculty seemed a little less chill/friendly than @ Houston
  • Seemed more gunner friendly (although student interviewer hinted otherwise)
  • No student housing option
  • Spend D1 & D2 year in an older building; sim lab & classrooms are more cramped/not as new
Summary: I am so torn between these two schools. They are both the same distance from home, in the same price range, and have exceptional programs. Houston did an amazing job at selling the culture of the school. Everyone seemed happy, the building was gorgeous, and the faculty were super cool! San Antonio on the other hand did a phenomenal job at selling their curriculum. However, I only got to see both schools for a few hours. I am sure they put their best foot forward on interview day since they are trying to sell you. I want to go where I am truly going to recieve the best education, be happy, and have the best opprotunity to strengthen my application in case I decide I want to specialize down the road. Could anyone give me some additional information that may be valuable to consider when deciding on where to go? I am seriously 50/50 right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m making this same decision, and I am also torn. I’m driving to Houston and San Antonio next week to see if it helps me make a choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
and note: it is always better to go while school is in session so that you can talk to as many students as you can
plus you don't have to only talk to the "assigned" students that help out on interview days
but remember that stress levels may be high if they are in final exam periods