UTI Question for you Urologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brucecat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a UTI question for you urologists... My girlfriend keeps having symptoms (on and off) of a UTI, but cultures come back negative. Any idea what it could be??? She also has a bit of nausea (like a nervous stomach).
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

brucecat said:
Got a UTI question for you urologists... My girlfriend keeps having symptoms (on and off) of a UTI, but cultures come back negative. Any idea what it could be??? She also has a bit of nausea (like a nervous stomach).
Thanks.

Has her doctor suggested Interstitial Cystitis?

I, too, have a similar question. Last October I had a kidney infection that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. Later, they found I had hydronephrosis, renal ptosis and slight proteinuria. I never felt I was quite cured of the infection but since urine cultures always came back negative, my doctors kept reassuring me that the pain I felt was only from the ptosis.

This morning, I woke up with another kidney infection but unfortunately, I no longer have health insurance so I was treated fairly quickly in the ER with a script for Keflex for 6 days. And, oddly enough, the quick urine test they did came back negative even though I have a fever of a little over 100F.

My questions are:

Why are all my urine tests coming back negative? (The first one which diagnosed me with the original kidney infection was positive).

Why do people get repeated infections? Is it possible the first one was lingering in my kidney?

What should I do now? (please keep in mind, I am insuranceless :( )

Any sorts of suggestions would be great.. thanks guys.

Gonorrhea can cause UTI like symptoms (dysuria, frequency) with sterile pyuria. If she has this, you'd want to be treated too.