Utility of ranking more than 10-15 programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanbeckworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm curious about is the ranking system in terms of the number of programs worthwhile to rank. Certainly, it does not hurt (though it costs $$$) to rank tons of programs, but are the odds strongly against you if you fail to match at the first 10? I've got close to 30 interviews, and for the most part, I've already been to the places where I'd like to go. However, since anesthesia is getting more competitive, I thought I'd like to be able to rank as many as possible. Is this worthwhile or overkill?

Also, with a 222 Step 1, middle-of-class stats, and very good letters, do you think I'm competitive for Columbia, Cornell, U/Rochester, etc.? I've interviewed these places, but as is often the case, was not given an indication either way as to how much they liked me.

Thanks,

RB

Members don't see this ad.

Only rank the ones you would be happy to go to for 3-4 years. If you're getting interviews at the top programs (Columbia, Cornell) I wouldn't worry too much about matching somewhere. And if you've been granted the interviews it means they feel you are competitive. Unfortunately so are all the other interviewees. Just leave a few safety schools on your list and you should do fine. Are you really going to 30 interviews? I'm trying to cut my list from 17.

I was told that you have a greater than 90% chance of matching one of your top 3-4 picks. In my class in which ten people matched into anesthesia, most people got their top 1-2, and I knew of no one who went below their 4th pick. It nice to have at a lot of programs to choose from, but it really all comes down to those near the top.

Members don't see this ad :)
" Are you really going to 30 interviews? I'm trying to cut my list from 17."

I definitely don't want to do that many, but it's kinda hard to just cancel them. Admittedly, a rank list of 30 would be dumb, but I'm not sure what to chop out to make a reasonable number.

The scary thing would be that putting the ones you'd most like to attend--Columbia, etc.--at the top is that by the time you get towards the bottom schools, they may already have been filled with people who were less desirable but who ranked them higher than you did. Scrambling would be a nightmare in this era.

Actually if the school has ranked you higher than the other candidates, they will be bumped regardless of how highly they rank the program. Thus you don't have to worry about ranking your dream schools higher than your backups. You basically match at the school highest on your list that has also ranked you high enough to match. I think someone has posted the link for the match algorithm somewhere.

I'm fiscally, mentally, and physically exhausted after 6 interviews. I have 8 more to go. Will cut that down to 4-6. If you really want to do 30 interviews go for it. However, you should probably half that number in order to keep your sanity.

Cancelling them is not a problem if you give them a few weeks notice.