utilization review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dog_luver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing *some* utilization review. Where could I get training for this? A lot of the jobs I'm seeing say that training is required.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got called tonight at 9pm from a utilization review person. They asked about a patient I never treated and asked what my plan for the patient was. I asked if they were really looking for Dr. (me) from (specialty), and they said yes. Turns out they were looking for a guy who has a similar last name in a completely different field of medicine. Whatever the training is, it can't be that much considering this person doesn't even know how to figure out if they are calling the right person at 9pm.

Do you know how to say "no"?

Yes but I think you are being a bit harsh. And it's actually a real question. Some training i'm sure is needed.

Why do the jobs say that experience is required then?
Have you ever seen a non-entry level job advertised that didn't say that?

I'm not sure how much experience you have with these people, but I talk to at least one of them a week (on a good week), and literally every single time, as soon as I say "this is Dr. Gutonc and I need this test/drug for my patient" the answer is "your approval # is 1234567, have a good day". Utilization review is mostly just a speed bump and a waste of physician time.

Reactions: 2 users