UTK- books for the 1st semester of second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kat0303

UTCVM co 2012 WOOOOOOO!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the UTK people...
We have a huge list of books for this semester, and I'm wondering if I can get some insight from 3rd and 4th year students on what books they would recommend. I've heard to definitely buy Clin Path, but other than that, I have no idea which ones to buy. I tend to use my books a lot and like to have at least one for each class as a reference in case I need it, but there are so many suggested and strongly suggested ones for each class that I can't buy them all. Also, if you think the older editions of some of these books would be ok to use, that'd be great to know too.

Also, anyone have an opinion about the surgery packs and if it's ok to get the cheapest one out of the 3 offered? I saw one for sale on VetNet for $75 at the beginning of the summer and I'm starting to wish i would've bought that one...

Thanks a lot for your help!:)

Here is the list:

Urinary System
.(SS) Ettinger, Textbook of Internal Medicine, 6th Ed
. .(SS) Smith, Large Animal Internal Medicine, 4th Ed.
.(S) Slatter, Textbook of Small Animal Surgery, 3rd Ed.
.(SS) Fossum, Small Animal Surgery, 3rd. Ed..

Clinical Pathology
.(R) Stockham, Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 2nd Ed

. .Principles and Practice of Surgery
.(SS) Slatter, Textbook of Small Animal Surgery, 3rd Ed.

. .Veterinary Anesthesiology
.(R) Muir, Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia, 4th Ed
. (SS) Thurmon, Lumb & Jones’ Veterinary Anesthesia .and Analgesia.., 4th Ed. .

(SS) Seymour, BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Anesthesia .and Analgesia.., 3rd Ed. .
.(SS) Doherty, Manual of Equine Anesthesia and Analgesia, 1st Ed

. .Pharmacology I.
.(S) Prescott, Antimicrobial Therapy in Veterinary Medicine, 4th Ed. .
.(S) Riviere, Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 9th Ed..

Instrument Packs:

Miltex German Pack = GERMAN IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED $262.50
Instruments included: (1) #3 Scalpel handle, (1) Brown Addison forceps, (1) Mayo scissors, (1) Metzenbaum Scissors, (1) Needle holder, (2) Kelly forceps – curved, (1) Kelly forceps – straight, (4) towel clamps, (1) Carmalt forceps, (2) Halsted Mos. Forceps

Miltex German Pack with Vantage Towel Clamps $223.50 Instruments included: (1) #3 Scalpel handle, (1) Brown Addison forceps, (1) Mayo scissors, (1) Metzenbaum Scissors, (1) Needle holder, (2) Kelly forceps – curved, (1) Kelly forceps – straight, (4) Vantage towel clamps, (1) Carmalt forceps, (2) Halsted Mos. Forceps
*This pack is the very same pack as the German pack with Vantage (Economy) Grade towel clamps.

Smitty’s German Pack = GERMAN IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED $219.50
#3 Scalpel Handle (1), Brown Adson Forcep (1), Mayo Scissor (1), Tungston Carbide jaw Needle Holder (1), Kelly Forceps (3), Towel Clamps (4), Rochester Carmault (1), & Mosquito Hemostats (2)

Members don't see this ad.

Great mother of god! This is making me appreciate my admittedly basic and crappy, but NZ$25 surgery pack I bought.

Sorry I can't help you much with the books. I have Fossum for surgery, but unlike just about everyone else, I find it a little convoluted. It might be worth having a look at Slatter to see which one you like best.

Yes we spent (well my friends spent, I borrowed :p) only around $20-25 for our sets, the uni provides everything else.

As for textbooks the only one I can safely say that I really like is the Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease by McGavin and Zachary, lots of pictures and good explanations. If I need anything else I use the library...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses!

Wow, that's great that you guys don't have to pay that much for your surgery packs. I was a little shocked at the prices too and was hoping there was some way around it, but I've heard there's not. :(

I agree that the Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease is a good book. I had to check it out of the library for research this summer, and it seems like a good one.

Thanks for the help so far! I mentioned Tennessee people originally, but if there is anyone who has an opinion on any of these books, feel free to chime in!

Do you guys get syllabi? Our are basically a textbook written by the professor for a given class. So I haven't had to buy very many text books. Depending on your comfort level for reading online you can access Ettinger's online (check with your school for user id and password).

Do you guys get syllabi? Our are basically a textbook written by the professor for a given class. So I haven't had to buy very many text books. Depending on your comfort level for reading online you can access Ettinger's online (check with your school for user id and password).

We buy a giant package with notes from the professors at the beginning of each semester, so sometimes we can get away without a textbook. Some of our classes require the books though so we can do required reading and assignments out of them. I didn't know Ettinger's is online...thanks!

3rd Year chiming in:

For urinary, the notes are very complete, and you really won't need any of those text books. I did extremely well in the class without any of them.

For clin path, definitely get the book. I found working the 35 or so cases in the back of the book invaluable as far as studying for exams. The exams and the weekly labs are pretty much just like those cases. Also, if you want an A, plan to spend a LOOOOT of time with it.

You will not need the surgery book. I bought the Muir anesthesia book, but truthfully, I didn't use it. That said, it was inexpensive, and I will likely use it during clinicals. Dr. Tobias is writing a new textbook that she feels improves on Fossum, so I am waiting for that one.

I did not use a book for General Pathology, though I did occasionally consult the text (in the library) to help me understand something more fully.

I borrowed my Big Sib's pharmacology text, and probably could have done without it. I found consulting the online version of Plumb's on VIN to be more helpful.

While you will only use your surgery pack once or twice all of 2nd year, I think it is worth buying one of high quality. However, I think you could get by just fine with a less expensive one, if you don't mind buying a better one should you need it come 4th year.

In a nutshell, I recommend the clinical pathology book (be sure it's the new edition) and the green handbook of toxic plants (can't remember what it is called). Everything else is truly optional. I did buy the Ettinger, but to tell you the truth, I find it too heavy and unweildy to want to use it much. It is good at decision tree type medical decision making, and many people really like it. I just want a book that is easier to actually carry and hold on my lap for reference.

Hope this helps!

3rd Year chiming in:

For urinary, the notes are very complete, and you really won't need any of those text books. I did extremely well in the class without any of them.

For clin path, definitely get the book. I found working the 35 or so cases in the back of the book invaluable as far as studying for exams. The exams and the weekly labs are pretty much just like those cases. Also, if you want an A, plan to spend a LOOOOT of time with it.

You will not need the surgery book. I bought the Muir anesthesia book, but truthfully, I didn't use it. That said, it was inexpensive, and I will likely use it during clinicals. Dr. Tobias is writing a new textbook that she feels improves on Fossum, so I am waiting for that one.

I did not use a book for General Pathology, though I did occasionally consult the text (in the library) to help me understand something more fully.

I borrowed my Big Sib's pharmacology text, and probably could have done without it. I found consulting the online version of Plumb's on VIN to be more helpful.

While you will only use your surgery pack once or twice all of 2nd year, I think it is worth buying one of high quality. However, I think you could get by just fine with a less expensive one, if you don't mind buying a better one should you need it come 4th year.

In a nutshell, I recommend the clinical pathology book (be sure it's the new edition) and the green handbook of toxic plants (can't remember what it is called). Everything else is truly optional. I did buy the Ettinger, but to tell you the truth, I find it too heavy and unweildy to want to use it much. It is good at decision tree type medical decision making, and many people really like it. I just want a book that is easier to actually carry and hold on my lap for reference.

Hope this helps!

That helps a lot. Thanks!

Unless I somehow erased it, I don't think there was a book on the list for Gen Path. Is the book you're talking about the Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease one?

I also don't think there was one on the list for toxicology, so is the toxic plants one you mentioned one that we will need during the semester or is it for the toxic plant notebook that we are doing this summer?

Thanks a lot for your help!

You won't actually need the toxic plants book for class. I found it very helpful in making my book and an overall good resource to have, but you don't HAVE to get it.

I don't remember the name of the pathology text book. It was white with some colored circles on it, I think. I know that's helpful. ;)

To the UTK people...
We have a huge list of books for this semester, and I'm wondering if I can get some insight from 3rd and 4th year students on what books they would recommend. I've heard to definitely buy Clin Path, but other than that, I have no idea which ones to buy. I tend to use my books a lot and like to have at least one for each class as a reference in case I need it, but there are so many suggested and strongly suggested ones for each class that I can't buy them all. Also, if you think the older editions of some of these books would be ok to use, that'd be great to know too.

Also, anyone have an opinion about the surgery packs and if it's ok to get the cheapest one out of the 3 offered? I saw one for sale on VetNet for $75 at the beginning of the summer and I'm starting to wish i would've bought that one...

Thanks a lot for your help!:)

I'm also a 3rd year. I bought the cheaper surgery pack because I asked around about what the class of '08 thought and was told it didn't really make a difference. You don't use your own packs enough to NEED the high quality packs.

Don't buy any books for urinary, its not necessary. Dr. Bartges' notes are complete. That being said, I bought Ettinger for later use. I know a lot of vets in practice who continually go back to their Ettinger books as a reference and I intend on doing that as well. Also use it for ABLEs.

Buy the clin path book; it will be useful, even if you only use it for practice cases.

I also bought the Muir book for future reference, but I didn't use it at all 2nd year.

I didn't buy the Pharm book. He assigns like 2-3 homework assignments throughout the year and only 1 of them required references, so I used the library and journal articles. His notes are also complete, but he can be hard to understand (not just his accent, his teaching style left many wanting more).

Just a note about buying a used surgery pack - make sure it has an appropriately sized drape.

I just bought Clin Path, Ettinger, and the anesthesia handbook. I bought Fossum second semester, but haven't really used it. I kind of wish I had the pharm book for the homework, but if a friend has it, you should be able to work together or borrow. If you're large animal, you'll probably use that book at some point, but I've gotten along okay without it so far.

It's been a while since anyone has posted in here; I'm curious to know, since 2009 (the last post in this forum) how much has the list of books/supplies changed for first years ?