UTMB MD/PhD vs LSU NOLA MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vigamusa

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm lucky enough to have been accepted to my two top choice programs! I just need help deciding because I am completely torn. I am trying to decide between UTMB's MD/PhD program and LSU NOLA's MD program.

UTMB
Pros
  • P/F
  • Fully funded
  • Better faculty support
  • More prestigious? (opinions?)
Cons
  • Far away from family and SO (5 hour drive)
  • To do dual degree I need 8 years (I want to be a physician, don't plan on utilizing PhD)

LSU
Pros
  • Close to home
  • I know many people who will be in my class
  • Only 4 years, not 8
  • Significant other is 1 hour away and will likely attend here next year

Cons
  • Debt (~150k - 200k, interest free)
  • Not as prestigious (opinions?)
  • NOT P/F
  • Not as good of faculty support

The two biggest factors are the money (debt vs fully funded) and the time (4 years vs 8 years for same goal of physician). Does anyone have any input? Also any thoughts on the prestige of the schools? Is one much worse than the other? Are they approximately the same? Etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think it comes down to whether you want a PhD. Full funding isn't helpful if you're missing out on 4 years of attending salary, and 4 years of med school at LSU isn't enough if you really want that PhD too. That's a question only you can answer. However, if you choose UTMB, we would be classmates!

Hey everyone.

I'm lucky enough to have been accepted to my two top choice programs! I just need help deciding because I am completely torn. I am trying to decide between UTMB's MD/PhD program and LSU NOLA's MD program.

UTMB
Pros
  • P/F
  • Fully funded
  • Better faculty support
  • More prestigious? (opinions?)
Cons
  • Far away from family and SO (5 hour drive)
  • To do dual degree I need 8 years (I want to be a physician, don't plan on utilizing PhD)

LSU
Pros
  • Close to home
  • I know many people who will be in my class
  • Only 4 years, not 8
  • Significant other is 1 hour away and will likely attend here next year

Cons
  • Debt (~150k - 200k, interest free)
  • Not as prestigious (opinions?)
  • NOT P/F
  • Not as good of faculty support

The two biggest factors are the money (debt vs fully funded) and the time (4 years vs 8 years for same goal of physician). Does anyone have any input? Also any thoughts on the prestige of the schools? Is one much worse than the other? Are they approximately the same? Etc.

Thanks!
Another question for UTMB would be whether you could drop the PhD and just go there for the MD. It's a wonderful school and might still be cheaper. Just a thought. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if you're underestimating how difficult a PhD is or what, but there's absolutely no reason to do an MD-PhD program if you don't plan to utilize the PhD. If you don't *need* a PhD, don't pursue it. It's no joke.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your awesome responses. Let me ask this: I've always done research and truly enjoy it but my ultimate goals are to be a physician. Are there any benefits to pursuing a PhD if I want to be a physician not a researcher? And on top of that, is it worth going to UTMB and getting the PhD just to go to UTMB's MD school? Or is it at a similar tier as LSU anyway?

Thank you all for your awesome responses. Let me ask this: I've always done research and truly enjoy it but my ultimate goals are to be a physician. Are there any benefits to pursuing a PhD if I want to be a physician not a researcher? And on top of that, is it worth going to UTMB and getting the PhD just to go to UTMB's MD school? Or is it at a similar tier as LSU anyway?
You can do research as a physician. If you don't think a PhD is worth it to you and don't want to become a medical scientist, then there's only one question left: would UTMB let you take just the MD? If not, no sense in going there. If so, then you have to ask about tier. I don't think any school is worth losing 4 more years of your life and 4 more years of attending salary.

Wait why didn’t you apply regular MD for UTMB if you don’t really plan on using the PhD? Normally I’d pick the texas school but seems like LSU might be better for your long term plans

The benefits that come from pursuing a PhD include very good training on how to become an independent and successful scientist (what questions to ask, how to answer them, experimental design, data analysis, problem-solving, grant writing, etc). But the biggest benefit comes if you want to have your own laboratory.

The PhD in and of itself will likely help you to become an even better physician, but the extra training is not worth the 4-5 years of struggle that would come with getting your PhD if you don't want to be a researcher. Imagine a degree program that is as difficult as medical school, but has no pre-determined end and much less guidance. No reason to put yourself through that if you don't want research to be a HUGE part of your career.

You can do research as a physician. If you don't think a PhD is worth it to you and don't want to become a medical scientist, then there's only one question left: would UTMB let you take just the MD? If not, no sense in going there. If so, then you have to ask about tier. I don't think any school is worth losing 4 more years of your life and 4 more years of attending salary.
I appreciate your input! So if I am able to go without pursuing the PhD, tier wise do you think they are fairly equal or one school has an edge on the other? Purely based off of name/prestige

Wait why didn’t you apply regular MD for UTMB if you don’t really plan on using the PhD? Normally I’d pick the texas school but seems like LSU might be better for your long term plans
I couldn't apply through AMCAS for regular MD so I applied MD/PhD through AMCAS

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The benefits that come from pursuing a PhD include very good training on how to become an independent and successful scientist (what questions to ask, how to answer them, experimental design, data analysis, problem-solving, grant writing, etc). But the biggest benefit comes if you want to have your own laboratory.

The PhD in and of itself will likely help you to become an even better physician, but the extra training is not worth the 4-5 years of struggle that would come with getting your PhD if you don't want to be a researcher. Imagine a degree program that is as difficult as medical school, but has no pre-determined end and much less guidance. No reason to put yourself through that if you don't want research to be a HUGE part of your career.
So in your opinion, if I don't plan on having my own laboratory and pursuing the career of a physician scientist, I should go to LSU? Even if UTMB is considered a more prestigious school? And to that point, do you consider UTMB to be more prestigious or relatively equal?

So in your opinion, if I don't plan on having my own laboratory and pursuing the career of a physician scientist, I should go to LSU? Even if UTMB is considered a more prestigious school? And to that point, do you consider UTMB to be more prestigious or relatively equal?
If you're unable to do MD-only at UTMB, then absolutely. If you are able to do MD-only, go wherever you feel is a better fit for you.

I'm also curious about how your MD-PhD interviews went, because they always ask about your desire to have a career in research. Did they not ask you that or is it that you just recently decided you don't want to be engaged in research during your career?

I don't know if either school is more or less prestigious, but would imagine there's not much of a difference. What I do know is that there is some very strong research that goes on at UTMB. Not as sure about the research at LSU.

My main point to you is that it's pretty clear to me that you don't need to do an MD-PhD. Not because you can't, but because I think you would be miserable doing an entire PhD while not wanting to pursue anything where the PhD actually gives a meaningful advantage. If you wanna stay involved with research during medical school, most schools will allow you to do that. But sacrificing 4 years of attending salary for a difficult and stressful degree that you're not going to use and don't need is not a good idea imo.

If you're unable to do MD-only at UTMB, then absolutely. If you are able to do MD-only, go wherever you feel is a better fit for you.

I'm also curious about how your MD-PhD interviews went, because they always ask about your desire to have a career in research. Did they not ask you that or is it that you just recently decided you don't want to be engaged in research during your career?

I don't know if either school is more or less prestigious, but would imagine there's not much of a difference. What I do know is that there is some very strong research that goes on at UTMB. Not as sure about the research at LSU.

My main point to you is that it's pretty clear to me that you don't need to do an MD-PhD. Not because you can't, but because I think you would be miserable doing an entire PhD while not wanting to pursue anything where the PhD actually gives a meaningful advantage. If you wanna stay involved with research during medical school, most schools will allow you to do that. But sacrificing 4 years of attending salary for a difficult and stressful degree that you're not going to use and don't need is not a good idea imo.
Strongly agree! I don't know about research options at LSU, but I too would imagine the two schools were around the same place prestige- wise. Are you coming to the UTMB tour next weekend? I think, if you can switch to MD alone, that seeing the schools would be super helpful. If not, go LSU and don't look back.

THIS! I am absolutely perplexed as to how you, someone who has no desire to get a PhD, were admitted to a fully funded MD/PhD program. Or why you even applied lol. Pretty impressed you able to fudge your way into an acceptance though. If you were even ok with the idea of the PhD id say go to UTMB but imagine doubling the time youd be in school and being miserable during those 4 years. You can't autopilot your way to a doctoral thesis, I feel like this will be miserable.

Damn OP really just yeeted into an MD/PhD program on a wim.

To answer the question, if you don't want the PhD, don't go to UTMB.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users