UTMB vs. Texas Tech (Lubbock)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America117

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I loved both schools and feel like I would fit in well based off my interview experiences. Both are about the same distance from family, and while there are small pros and cons to each in my mind, I don't have any defining factor as to why I would choose one over the other. I have also been accepted to both. If anyone else has any reasons as to why they would choose one over the other, I'm all ears.

Members don't see this ad.

Not particularly inclined to research, however I hope to be able to do a little to seem more competitive for residency. I definitely want to specialize, although I am not sure which specialty. And there were definite curriculum differences between the two schools, but I am pretty malleable; I didn't feel like I would prefer one over the other.

At this point it probably wouldn't matter which one I choose, I was just wondering if anyone felt like one was definitely better than the other for some specific reason that could help me weigh my options.

UTMB’s step scores look pretty good. I really love the laid back vibe the school has and the tracks are really interesting

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB’s step scores look pretty good. I really love the laid back vibe the school has and the tracks are really interesting

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Their scores have been going down and last classes average was a 233 which is around national average. I wouldn’t use step as a deciding factor

I’d go with tech. They seemed to me like they were on the come up. Utmb was solid but the hurricane threat and outdated curriculum raises concerns

Reactions: 1 user
I’m kind of making the same decision. Pre matched to UTMB, but I have a lot of ties to Tech (went there for UG; literally all my LOR’s are from Tech grads). I was wondering, did y’all know what each school gives out for USMLE study prep? Like what services the schools provide? I’m trying to tease out the differences, but it’s hard lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m kind of making the same decision. Pre matched to UTMB, but I have a lot of ties to Tech (went there for UG; literally all my LOR’s are from Tech grads). I was wondering, did y’all know what each school gives out for USMLE study prep? Like what services the schools provide? I’m trying to tease out the differences, but it’s hard lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All UTMB exams are NBME retired questions and not in house exams. I believe they give two different resources that are paid but I forgot which they are. It could be Kaplan but don’t quote me. I always hear to hold back on buying resources because upper class men may provide them to you for free

Reactions: 1 user