UTRGV vs Texas Tech El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phantom95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
El Paso (PLFSOM)
Pros
  • small class size
  • Get to see advanced pathologist and work with the under-served.
  • Has been established longer, might have more connections to residencies
  • Get to see advanced pathologies and work with the under-served while learning Spanish.
Cons
  • More expensive
  • the environment there does not seem healthy, as in during my visit in November the students seemed to not really want to be there, with 90% of whom that were asked their reasoning of why they chose the school was because they matched. the remainder said due to financial aid and that it was their hometown.
  • 14 hours from family

UTRGV
Pros
  • Most students seemed to genuinely want to be there
  • Most affordable school
  • Small class size
  • Get to see advanced pathologies and work with the under-served.
Cons
  • New, might still be trying to figure out their curriculum
  • New, might not have as many connections to prepare for competitive specialties
  • Not sure if a Con but plastinations instead of cadavers for gross anatomy might not best prepare for surgical specialties.
  • 6 hours from family
Summary: I liked both schools, PLFSOM was nice but the environment there during my interview left me with a bad feeling. Both schools are near the border so I think they might give me similar experiences with the community. However, UTRGV seemed like a better environment overall. I am interested in surgery and want to go to a school that will best prepare me for that, though I am open to pursuing other specialties as I gain more insight into them through my rotations.

Any comments concerning thoughts and insights into reasoning for ranking each school would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user