UTSW PT students during clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxDPT14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just voicing my concern and needing some opinions on this topic:

I talked to some people from Dallas who said that the UTSW students they've worked with during clinicals were poorly prepared. If anyone has an opinion on this let me know.

I do realize that success during clinicals depends heavily on the student, but I have heard this opinion about more than one UTSW student so I would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks,

-J-

Members don't see this ad.

Guess no one has an opinion? Lol

Well, i'm really not sure about this, and I find it strange that they would be poorly prepared as if I remember correctly the average number of volunteer/work/observation hours of incoming students was 1000+ which I thought was insane at the time (1.5 years back about?) as I was applying to schools here in Texas. So it is surprising to hear about the UTSW students being not as prepared for clinical rotations. lol. From the PTs I've spoken to or observed with (many having worked in different cities in TX), the students they mention positively the most frequently (in terms of preparedness and overall knowledge of PT skills for their extent of education to enter a clinical setting) would be those from TWU and UTMB.

However, I have not heard of any negative comments about any of the other schools. I met some of the UTSW students at the TPTA student conclave in November, and they seemed pretty cool. They were one of the finalists for the Student Quiz Bowl there (but TWU won of course lol).

Good luck in choosing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha thanks for your opinion! I thought it was strange too. I think observation hours is a huge factor in UTSW's acceptance so I agree it seems like they would be prepared. I had over 700 hours of experience as a PT tech and I honestly think it's the only reason why I got into UTSW. I wasn't accepted to TWU and I didn't apply to UTMB because I got lazy and tired of doing applications. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, maybe it's just those few students that didn't really come prepared and ruined it for the bunch. All schools have those.

Best of luck!