UVA - a "In a Class of Its Own?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RunMimi said:
Wow, I feel really lucky that my advisor is awesome. She definitely knows what she's talking about and has been a huge help throughout the process. At one school I went to, the dean of admissions even pulled me aside to tell me how awesome she was. Anyways, she was happy for me when I told her I was accepted to UVa. I don't think she has any contempt for the school and I trust her judgement. That said, one school can't be the right fit for every student. Its fine if UVa isn't for some people on this thread. Some people really thrive in the good 'ol boy network that UVa appears to be--my older brother would be one of those types and is appropriately attending 'Mr. Jefferson's University'. Different strokes for different folks. Let's all get along :)

Glad to know that some competent advisors exist. At my school none of them give you any real advice worth listening too because they are too busy trying to disuade you from going into medicine.

They give you absolutely false information that is quite contrary to everything the admissions director tells you at the USF med school. Usually I just advise people to go talk to med school directors and to students who have been through it because they tend to be more helpful. If you have even like one B the advisors will make a big deal and try to compare you to others. Its quite sickening. But whatever, I guess its better to do my own research on the answers to my questions.

But anyhow, I'm glad that you had a good advisor. Believe it or not, that is a rarity. The only other good advisor I met was the one that came to national AMSA convention from San Diego State University. Now that is admirable because she came out there with the premeds to find out information from them.

Members don't see this ad.