UVA or Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billyverdin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm curious what people think about either of these programs. I interviewed at these programs late, and was surprisingly satisfied. Ample patients, happy residents, comprehensive residency program, strong regional (Ultrasound guided at Dartmouth and current fellow is becoming faculty at UVA), nice geographical locale. Most would argue that Charlottesville is much nicer than Hanover, which is for the most part true...but Hanover aint too shabby if one likes small towns.
Hope to hear from folks who interviewed at these places or current residents.

Members don't see this ad.

I loved UVA. I have also gotten about 4 snail mail letters from them this month, so maybe that is swaying my love factor a little bit.

Great city, great program, awseome faculty. No real strengths but no obvious weaknesses either.

Would be happy to train there.

I interviewed at both...in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

Dartmouth is strong in most areas and the department is very prominent in the leadership of the medical center. The residents, for the most part, seemed happy and pleased with the program. I honestly felt more warmth and enthusiasm from the UVa people, though. Looking at caseloads, I would give the edge to UVa as well (probably a slightly more diverse patient population in Charlottesville too) as you'll likely see more complex stuff there (esp. in regard to neuro, transplant, cards, and difficult peds cases). Lastly, I feel like my wife and I would be happier in Charlottesville vs. Hanover/Lebanon...while Hanover is beautiful and quaint, there is more variety (restaurants, shopping, etc) in Charlottesville...plus the winters will be much milder and shorter in Virginia vs. NH. Dartmouth was my #1 for a while, but it has slipped a bit due to all the above...that said, we'd be happy to end up there..I lived in New England for a while, so I'd be able to get right back into it. Dartmouth also had one of the more fun pre-interview dinners...plenty of EtOH to go around...really felt like they spared no expense on us.