UVA School/Clinical Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookitssara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone in this program now, or has interviewed there?

I applied last year and did not even receive an interview. I was a bit surprised because 1) my GRE scores were above the mean, 2) I have a pretty high GPA, 3) I had research experience, and 4) I was accepted into another school psych program before I was even interviewed (I took this to mean I was a competitive applicant). I'm by no means the perfect candidate, but I guess I expected an interview offer.

I'm re-applying to schools again this fall and am considering reapplying to UVA because it seems like a great match to my goals, however nothing besides my personal statement will be changing since last time. In hindsight, I could have been more specific and narrow when discussing my research interests (although they were matches to faculty interests). Maybe there's just something about me that isn't a match, or they're looking for something in particular. I guess I just don't watch to waste money if I don't stand a chance.

PS I e-mailed two different people last spring to try and get some feedback as to why I was not offered an interview (in hopes of being a more competitive applicant in the future) and received no response.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahh, there's that elusive "fit" thing again. :/

I am not sure how I stumbled upon this thread, but I registered for this site immediately because I experienced the exact same thing last year! I was accepted to every other school psychology program I applied to, including highly competitive school psychology PhD programs. I am currently in my first year of a school psychology program where I was offered full funding and an additional fellowship. Like you, my GRE scores and GPA were well above the mean of applicants, and I went to an academically rigorous college. I also had research and clinical experience. I did not receive an interview, but another girl from my college did. We happen to be close friends, so I know that my GPA and GRE scores were both significantly higher than hers.
I wish I knew what to tell you! I never received any answers or suggestions either, but I wanted to share my experience with you so that you would know you were not alone! Everyone, including my professors, was completely perplexed that I did not at least receive an interview. If you happen to eventually receive any constructive feedback or do end up applying again, please let me know how it turns out!