UVA vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magged

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a VA resident and thankfully was able to receive some grant money but I'm stuck between a lower cost/ lower ranked VCU vs a slightly higher cost but better-ranked UVA. I think both schools offer great opportunities and I could see myself going to both but I'm a bit more drawn to UVA because of the great interaction I had with faculty and feel like they are very supportive. Any tips or advice?

UVA:
Pros:
-More streamlined rotation program at INOVA Fairfax in northern Virginia where I could do all my rotations there (would be closer to home as I live in Northern VA rn and has a more diverse patient population which is important to me)
-Higher rank
-Opportunity to MD/MPH (although this is relatively new)
-Great faculty interaction (had faculty reach out to me about my interest in public health)
-P/F preclinical
-Like how the curriculum is set up where preclinical is 1.5 years and I start rotations during M2

Cons:
-Location for the 1st year and a half is at Charlottesville (I would like to be in a bigger city but I guess for the first 1.5 years C-Ville would be alright)
-MD/MPH program is relatively new and apparently, only about 1 MD student does it (might feel a bit isolating)
-Graded clinical (A/B/C/F) +AOA
-Higher cost: Estimated debt for 4 years would be $195000 (Scholarship covering half of tuition and $10,000 institutional loan, rest is unsubsidized loans)

VCU
Pros:
-Location in Richmond, more city-like with things to do
-Cost: Estimated debt would be about $150000 for 4 years (scholarship covered tuition so this would just be estimated living fees, books, etc. I would take out unsubsidized loans)
-More longstanding MD/MPH program
-P/F preclinical
-Really got along well with the student body and felt that everyone was down to earth

Cons:
-Lower rank
-INOVA rotation program expired in 2021 so won't be able to rotate at INOVA in northern VA (honestly a big con to me)
-Did not get as much interaction with faculty/seemed to be a bit more disorganized
-Sort of graded clinical (H/HP/P/F) + AOA
-Curriculum is more traditional with 2 years of preclinical and then 2 years of clinical for M3-M4

I guess my main thing is, should the difference in cost be a bigger factor in my decision as I essentially received a full-tuition scholarship for VCU. I'm leaning towards UVA bc of the INOVA rotation program and the match-list for residency shows students end up being able to match in places like CA or NY which I potentially would like to end up.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess 190k vs. 150k isn’t a massive difference.

But also, how can living costs end up being 150k for 4 years? That’s a lot even for like, NYC.

I guess 190k vs. 150k isn’t a massive difference.

But also, how can living costs end up being 150k for 4 years? That’s a lot even for like, NYC.
Yeah, I'm a bit confused on that too but they budgeted $42000 a year for living, personal, transportation, board fees, health insurance etc. But I plan on using my own insurance so I took about $6200 out of their estimate per year.

You don't really need 42k a year for living expenses. So the difference in cost between the two is actually a lot higher.

I would guesstimate around 25k a year for COL, and that's probably an overestimate. I would look at the difference in terms of tuition since cost of living will be similar in both places. You're looking at a price difference of around 100k more in tuition at UVA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really need 42k a year for living expenses. So the difference in cost between the two is actually a lot higher.

I would guesstimate around 25k a year for COL, and that's probably an overestimate. I would look at the difference in terms of tuition since cost of living will be similar in both places. You're looking at a price difference of around 100k more in tuition at UVA.
Thanks for your input. $25K honestly seems like a more reasonable estimate but I'm rounding up to about 28k per year for any unexpected expenses (Have to buy a car) so I get about 112K vs 194K which I definitely think is a significant difference. However, I really like the INOVA program with UVA and its faculty. Would I be stupid to potentially pay more for this? I'm reasoning with myself that I could just live at home for the INOVA rotations and save about 23K for rent for those years.

UVA for sure here, in my opinion. It just sounds like you want to go there.

Thanks for your input. $25K honestly seems like a more reasonable estimate but I'm rounding up to about 28k per year for any unexpected expenses (Have to buy a car) so I get about 112K vs 194K which I definitely think is a significant difference. However, I really like the INOVA program with UVA and its faculty. Would I be stupid to potentially pay more for this? I'm reasoning with myself that I could just live at home for the INOVA rotations and save about 23K for rent for those years.
If you could live at home that could definitely help lessen cost if you decide to attend UVA. Another thing that's helpful is that 40k of your loans at UVA are institutional, so they won't accumulate interest until after residency.

UVA. don't underestimate having family and friends close in nova during M3 and M4. Cost difference is significant, but not enough to choose a place where you may be unhappy