UVM v.s. Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

FHamati

I'm incredibly torn between both schools and was wondering if people can provide some insight into these institutions. I'm going to compile a list of pros and cons for both programs taking into consideration the information that I can find online and from you guys. Any input is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm incredibly torn between both schools and was wondering if people can provide some insight into these institutions. I'm going to compile a list of pros and cons for both programs taking into consideration the information that I can find online and from you guys. Any input is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
PDs rank UVM slightly higher for research than Rush (3.3 vs 3.1), but I think that's pretty negligible. Both are flipped classroom (I think) which kinda sucks. IMO Chicago >> Burlington.

We'd need to know more about your considerations like future career, personal ties, and COA to further help you.

Both curriculum format suck (100% flipped), so I guess just choose based on location etc
Personally Chicago>Burlington for me

So here's what I came up with. Please feel free to add more to the list. I also interviewed at Dartmouth and Albany and have yet to hear back from both. I'm not sure where to go from here.

UVM:
- Burlington is incredibly beautiful and quirky but it's also not the most diverse place. I'm not sure how that will affect the clinical rotations.
- Clinical years are actually longer 2.5 years. Which means that preclinical years are only 1.5 years.
- 100% flipped classroom. But it's the first school to implement this change, which may mean they are more experienced in it when it comes to CBL and the like.
- Students seem incredibly laid back and happy.
- Pretty high cost of attendance but, potentially, average cost of living.
- Requires me to buy a car.
- Ranked just above Rush

Rush:
- Very diverse city = diverse patient population
-
- Also, 100% flipped classroom. I have heard students say it's terribly disorganized, which worries me.
- very strong clinical sites at Rush medical center as well as Stroger.
- Apparently, they have a strong match list for the home institution for competitive residencies.
- I received a 12K scholarship. The cost of tuition is about 10K lower. However, the cost of living is high.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also strongly considering sending a letter of intent to Dartmouth for some of these reasons:
Dartmouth:
- proximity to Boston
- very strong match list into institutions in the northeast and Boston, somewhere I'd like to end up for residency.
- very strong sense of community where students are incredibly happy and supported by the admission.
- Strong research compared to the other two. Something I may be interested in and would love to do some of it since I have a strong research background.
- Prestige/ranking
- Higher step one scores
- A mixture of traditional/optional lectures as well as CBL, which is the middle ground.
- strong global health program. I would love to work with refugee populations, something that would be available there as well as Vermont.

I'm really torn between these options and any advice would be incredibly appreciated.

I would like to pursue a specialty in pediatrics. I know I really love working with children and would like to specialize within that field.

Seems like dartmouth is the way to go since its the middle ground, and I agree that 100% flipped classroom doesn't sound too fun to me.

Both are great schools. What is your gut feeling though?
Also, your username is not very anonymous.

Reactions: 1 user